This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
People are probably not in the med school right now due to corona. I have been emailing [email protected] with my questions.

1. I'm also wondering what will happen with this program because of corona. Will we still have anatomy or will it get moved later or become online? Will we be doing nothing for several months and then take anatomy if it moves? I don't want to pay 16k only to do nothing for four months and then take anatomy. I've been calling the school and trying to figure it out and all they told me is that people are probably going to be back on campus in the fall. I don't think Tulane knows what they are going to do and I don't think anyone else knows either.

2. Lump sum.

3. I am making mine out to "ACLP Committee" and formatting it like an actual letter.

Just FYI, you are paying $16k to basically take just anatomy. Normally you take anatomy and then have 4 months of like 2 hours of class a week. Also think of it less as you’re paying for the content of anatomy and more as you’re paying for an audition to their med school.

Members don't see this ad.

Just FYI, you are paying $16k to basically take just anatomy. Normally you take anatomy and then have 4 months of like 2 hours of class a week. Also think of it less as you’re paying for the content of anatomy and more as you’re paying for an audition to their med school.
That is very true but I think they planned anatomy in the fall quarter so we can get it out of the way before the application cycle really picks up. I know that if you do well in anatomy then Tulane will likely accept you but I think it kinda sucks if you are planning on applying to other schools ontop of tulane.

I'm alright with that, just don't want to start off with the months of nothing. I think it would add a lot onto my stress if I'm just doing nothing for a long time first and then sprinting through anatomy at the end with an interview right as it ends. If it's scheduled like normal, the months of nothing after anatomy sounds like a dream, especially if I can beat the average.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been able to contact the office? I had a few questions and been trying to get a hold of them via phone.
Can anyone else shed some light on these issues?

Do we know if classes (at least for fall) will be held in person or online due to the pandemic?
Do we pay tuition as a lump sum or pay in installments throughout the year like tuition for college?
Who do we address the statement of purpose/intent to?

Former ACLP and now incoming first year at Tulane.

1. We don't know yet. So far they've been saying that they plan on having us back in person but they've also been pretty hesitant at giving us dates. Think they're still trying to figure it out. Regardless of whether it starts online and anatomy moves to the spring I still recommend the program. Tulane needs TAs for anatomy to function so ACLP is going to continue being essentially a guarantee if you can hit the average.

2. The default is definitely a lump sum. Some people in my year were able to spread it out a little but you have to apply for that and it ended up being a big hassle for everyone involved so not sure if that will be offered again.

3.I just addressed it "To Whom it May Concern" and it worked for me.

@Turam
How long was your statement of purpose? I’m kinda stumped on where to start.

also what is your favorite thing about the program? And something that you would change?
What kind of opportunities did you have outside the classroom (academic or not)?

@TravelingMedicine

My statement of purpose was pretty short. Just two paragraphs one about how ACLP would be good for me and another about how I'd be good for ACLP.

My favorite thing about the program was how close you get to everyone in your anatomy group during anatomy and everyone else in ACLP. If I could change something it'd be making the leadership course end when histology does in the spring instead of going a few weeks longer. After anatomy there are a lot of opportunities outside the classroom. I along with several other ACLP members got part time jobs. I know several also got involved in research that the program helped connect them with.

Reactions: 1 user
@TravelingMedicine

My statement of purpose was pretty short. Just two paragraphs one about how ACLP would be good for me and another about how I'd be good for ACLP.

My favorite thing about the program was how close you get to everyone in your anatomy group during anatomy and everyone else in ACLP. If I could change something it'd be making the leadership course end when histology does in the spring instead of going a few weeks longer. After anatomy there are a lot of opportunities outside the classroom. I along with several other ACLP members got part time jobs. I know several also got involved in research that the program helped connect them with.

Thanks! Just to be clear. If I were to be accepted into this program I should be applying this year's cycle right? I am just curious how would my results from ACLP be sent to other schools as I would still be taking anatomy in the first part of the AMCAS application cycle. It just seems like such a disadvantage since the results from the program will not be included in the first passover of your application, unless I am not thinking about this correctly.

Last edited:
Thanks! Just to be clear. If I were to be accepted into this program I should be applying this year's cycle right? I am just curious how would my results from ACLP be sent to other schools as I would still be taking anatomy in the first part of the AMCAS application cycle. It just seems like such a disadvantage since the results from the program will not be included in the first passover of your application, unless I am not thinking about this correctly.

You are thinking about it correctly, but you really do the ACLP to get into Tulane, getting into other schools is just a possible bonus.

Yes, you’ll need to be applying this cycle. I’d include ACLP as an activity on your application and I know some people have had the program director send letters to schools they’ve applied to after anatomy. However, I wouldn’t think of ACLP as anything but a path to Tulane.The results just aren’t there in time and the program is too unique to make sense to other schools.Due to this almost all of us only applied to Tulane and our state schools.

@memdoctobe @Turam Thanks for the clarification. I am just worried about my state schools as I am from California and a few of them do not allow for updates. But maybe ACLP program director letter would be an exception.

How much of your application did you change (ie. PS and W&A section) as I have to rewrite my PS.

Has anyone received a confirmation email after sending the office the nonrefundable application fee? I mailed mine the first week of May and still haven't gotten a confirmation. I did email the office about this issue and they said they are only going into the office once a week to check the mail.

@memdoctobe @Turam Thanks for the clarification. I am just worried about my state schools as I am from California and a few of them do not allow for updates. But maybe ACLP program director letter would be an exception.

How much of your application did you change (ie. PS and W&A section) as I have to rewrite my PS.

Keep in mind if you added it to AMCAS it would be 2 classes at 4ish credits each, so nothing major. Also, if they don't allow for updates, there's little you can do between now and submission to make a substantial difference to your app. In my opinion, put it down as an activity (that's what I'm doing) and clearly say what it is and how it works (I'm putting down "This program will fully prepare me for success in medical school" or something like that) since the director letter wouldn't be an exception for a school's no-update rule (schools are very strict about this).

Reactions: 2 users
Keep in mind if you added it to AMCAS it would be 2 classes at 4ish credits each, so nothing major. Also, if they don't allow for updates, there's little you can do between now and submission to make a substantial difference to your app. In my opinion, put it down as an activity (that's what I'm doing) and clearly say what it is and how it works (I'm putting down "This program will fully prepare me for success in medical school" or something like that) since the director letter wouldn't be an exception for a school's no-update rule (schools are very strict about this).
True. Thanks. As for your undergraduate transcript did you send it electronically or snail mail. Do you know if they accept a PDF version from the Registrar?

Members don't see this ad :)
True. Thanks. As for your undergraduate transcript did you send it electronically or snail mail. Do you know if they accept a PDF version from the Registrar?

I emailed a pdf version of my official transcript, but haven't gotten confirmation yet that everything is good to go. I assume it's fine though.

hi anyone here has any advice about ACLP vs DO? so I was accepted into DO schools but am on MD waitlist, is this program worth declining the DO offer? Also, how many research opportunities do you have in this program? do ACLP have access to Tulane resources (eg library database et al.) and participate in any sort of research?

If you want to be an MD and you get into ACLP, go to the ACLP and you’ll get accepted to an MD if you aren’t lazy. Is that what you mean? It’s really a question of if you are ok with being a DO. (I was not so I did a master’s to acknowledge my own bias).

I don't really care about the title. However, i want to do research (especially animal studies translational science) but DO schools offer a very limited amount of opportunities on this. with my stats and being an ORM, I am very borderline for MD schools 3.4 gpa 3.7 sgpa 510 MCAT but a 124 CARS. It is impossible to fix my gpa now since I have had 150+ credits. Also for the MCAT I don't think there is any chance I can improve if I retake, I had studied my ass off but I couldn't handle CARS because I am an ESL. if i just reapply, I don't think my chance will improve at all. I am trying to get into a program that has some sort of guarantee to its MD school. It seems like ACLP is a good option and tulane is a solid med school with the resources I want. But the main concern is if it is viable to decline my DO offer to do this program :(

I'm not going to really touch on the DO vs. MD side of things since that's really up to your personal preference and whether you think MD is worth an extra year of your life in school (to do ACLP). Just if you do decide to apply to ACLP don't turn down your DO acceptance before you get into the program since it is competitive and applying is no guarantee of acceptance.

Last edited:
I'm not going to really touch on the DO vs. MD side of things since that's really up to your personal preference and whether you think MD is worth an extra year of your life in school (to do ACLP). Just if you do decide to apply to ACLP don't turn down your DO acceptance before you get into the program since it is competitive and applying is no guarantee of acceptance.

Exactly. That’s what I was trying to say just less clearly lol. ACLP is not like a class anyone can sign up for—it is a competitive program with limited spots. Keep your DO acceptance at least until you’re accepted to ACLP.

yeah exactly i am not going to turn down my acceptance before I get into this program. I just wanted to have more information to weigh the pros and cons. so for ACLP students, what do you typically do outside the class? can you have a part-time job or participate in research? do you have same access to tulane's resources like the regular students? also for the interview, as long as you beat the medical student average, you are guaranteed one or you have meet other criteria? Thank you.

So during anatomy all you do is anatomy which is the first 11 weeks of the program. After that your schedule lightens up a ton and you can do other things. I had a part time job and I know other people were involved in research. The program gives you opportunities to connect with people doing research but there you do have to put in some effort. Not sure if you'd be able to get involved with any translational animal research since no one I know in my year got involved with any and it might require more regular hours than you can give because of histology and the leadership course.

You have access to the library just like other Tulane students. There are some medical student things you don't have access to but I can't think of any service that a typical Tulane student had access to that ACLP didn't. Besides having to pay a fee for the undergrad gym since our tuition didn't have the activity fee.

So as far as an acceptance to Tulane goes if you can beat the anatomy average you shouldn't worry. It technically isn't a guarantee the same way other linkages are but to the best of my knowledge no one in recent history has beaten the average and not gotten accepted.

Thank you! I tried to pm you but idk why there your page is not available. Could you tell a typical schedule you have during this program? and for the leadership course what exactly is it about?

I'll send you a message

Does anyone know if you have to submit official transcripts? My undergrad (and a CC I did summer at) do not use eTranscripts and I'm worried they're not going to arrive on time b/c of COVID delays.

I had to wait till May 18th to send out my Official Transcript (Spring grades weren't in until then) and it still hasn't sent. It also doesn't include that I completed my degree b/c they aren't finalizing that until June 1st. Also worried about my check arriving on time as I've heard nothing and I sent it a week ago.

Does anyone know if you have to submit official transcripts? My undergrad (and a CC I did summer at) do not use eTranscripts and I'm worried they're not going to arrive on time b/c of COVID delays.

I had to wait till May 18th to send out my Official Transcript (Spring grades weren't in until then) and it still hasn't sent. It also doesn't include that I completed my degree b/c they aren't finalizing that until June 1st. Also worried about my check arriving on time as I've heard nothing and I sent it a week ago.

+1.

I tried to call as well but no one answered, so I figure no one is in office.

Email Shannon Perron at [email protected]
She is the one in charge of everything and you can ask her about the transcript. I was worried that my application fee was not gonna get there in time and she said they will still review my application even if tHe fee does not get there before the deadline. (I know this is different than a transcript but I think they understand that stuff getting sent via snail mail might be delayed)

Hi! Since you had to have applied to medical schools before applying to ACLP, which AMCAS application are you supposed to submit? The one from the cycle that just ended that resulted in your waitlist, or the new application if you are reapplying? My new reapp has significant edits but I'm worried that it won't be finished by the ACLP June 1 deadline. In that case, I would have to submit last cycle's. Shannon said you can technically submit either, but I'm wondering if submitting the new one would be more beneficial? @Turam

@strawberrygrl69

You send in your AMCAS application from the cycle thats ending now and resulted in your waitlist. If you do get into the program then for the upcoming cycle you just have to make sure you submit things by Tulane's deadlines.

For those who submitted your application via email, did anyone receive a confirmation that their application was received? I haven't received any confirmation after submitting mine.

For those who submitted your application via email, did anyone receive a confirmation that their application was received? I haven't received any confirmation after submitting mine.

+1. I got online to see if anyone has any insight. I dont think you get a confirmation until decision is received. Someone let us know.

Best of luck to everyone!

Also for those of us who sent check via regular mail, has it been cashed yet?

I received confirmation via USPS tracking that it was received but it has not been withdrawn from my account yet. So I am curious if they wait until they sit down and do the 'service" of review. That would be a good way to confirm.

I received a confirmation this past week, a day after I emailed everything over to them. My check has still not yet been received yet though, but they say that we should receive a receipt once that has reached and has been processed.

I received a confirmation this past week, a day after I emailed everything over to them. My check has still not yet been received yet though, but they say that we should receive a receipt once that has reached and has been processed.

Good look. Thank you. I emailed my app yesterday, so maybe they are just behind with all the last minute apps like mine.

got the payment received confirmation receipt today via email

got the payment received confirmation receipt today via email

+1

I also asked if my application was received and marked as complete and Shannon reported it was and confirmation emails are coming.

just received notification that I’ve been placed on the alternate list

just received notification that I’ve been placed on the alternate list

Same here. I appreciate the fast turn around at least — just unfortunate being in this weird limbo of constant waitlists.

Same here. I appreciate the fast turn around at least — just unfortunate being in this weird limbo of constant waitlists.

yup i’m with you fam. praying for some good news soon

Hi everyone, congrats on your acceptance to ACLP!! The Facebook group will be up and running soon, so stay tuned! If you are on the alternate list, don't give up hope! Myself, as well as at least 4 others, came off the alternate list throughout the summer.

Here's the link to the facebook group for incoming ACLP members. Log into Facebook | Facebook. It's going to have last years ACLP members to answer any questions you may have as well as so you can get to know each other before you arrive in August.

Accepted about an hour ago :)

Anyone still not receive a decision e-mail? Is that a rejection?

Last year people received acceptances and some were placed on the primary waitlist on the first day of decisions. Others received info about rejections and the secondary waitlist later on.

So any decision moving forward is likely a rejection or secondary waitlist?

So any decision moving forward is likely a rejection or secondary waitlist?
I'm not really sure... The committee could still be working their way through applications. I'm just speculating based on how decisions were made last year.

Yooooo here I was thinking that we would not get news until closer to the end of the month and out of curiosity to the lack of activity I came on here to see what's new and they already sent out some A's and WL's!!! SMH.

Congrats to everyone accepted and WL! I guess this is an R for me...

There are 30 people in the facebook group right now and I think 6-10 or more of them are last year ACLPs. It's not looking good if you haven't already gotten an A.

Do you know if there's been movement from the alternate list?