Tulane or BU????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spacecadet22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok...I think I just got off the waitlist at Tulane which is totally unexpected and now I must choose...so what do you guys think BU or Tulane??
Each have advantages and disadvantages so which do you think will give me a better advantage at getting me a good residency in ob/gyn????
Please help. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

That's a great decision to have to make. I say go to Boston so that I can have your spot at Tulane. :eek: :oops: :p :)
I think Boston is a cooler city anyway.

Take a gander at what kind of matches BU and TU have had in OB/Gyn in recent years. That should give you some indication as to how well each respective school does. My guess is that they both match well in that specialty, so it will probably come down to matter of personal preference.

If it were me, I'd probably pick Tulane. They absolutely cater to their students in every way. I don't think I've met an unhappy Tulane med student thus far.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from Boston. BU is a great school. The clinicals in Boston are amazing. I actually work at Mass General which is seperate from the BU hospital system but i wouldn't be surprised if you can rotate through here also. People come all over the world to obtain care from the hospitals in the Boston area why not come here as a student. Good Luck in your decision.

fastjoe: you wouldn't be endorsing BU to spacecadet22 so he would choose BU and give you a better shot at getting off the waitlist at Tulane, now would you? :D

Anywho, at Tulane students work mainly at Tulane hospital (not anything to write home about) but they do perform part of their clinical work at world (and now TV) renowned Charity Hospital.

Besides, living in New Orleans produces two types of feelings: One, you'll love it and never want to leave or two, you'll really appreciate where you came from and can't wait to get back.

I absolutely would like it if he went to BU instead of Tulane because it would give me a better chance of getting in of the waitlist but nonetheless I've lived in the Boston area my entire life. I love this place. If my situation was different i might be going to medschool in Boston. If I were you I would seriously think about going to medical school in Boston. Charity Hospital is a world reknown hospital but Boston has many world reknown hospitals just watch Survivor MD on PBS (i.e Mass General, BU, Brigham and Women's, Beth Isreal, Dana Farber, VA just to name a few). I also have a roomate who is in public Health school at BU and he loves it there. Good Luck with your decision. Let us know what you decide.

Congrats on the acceptance spacecadet!

That sounds like a tough choice, but I have to echo Puffy1's comment about the happy students at Tulane -- everyone I met there loved it, and said the school really caters to them. Also, the clinical experience is tremendous at Tulane -- I was told that a lot of students do their surgery and ob-gyn rotations at the hospital in Pineville -- there are no interns there, and there are beds for the students, so you are the intern, and you are the first person on the scene for stuff. I almost ended up choosing Tulane because of the student happiness and the excellent clinical exposure, but my state school just made more sense financially. Good luck.

Hey everybody...thanks for the advice. I think I have finally made up my mind and it looks like I'm bound for Tulane! I think the deciding factor was finicial aid. BU gave me straight up $54K in Loans with an expected budget to reach $63k by the time I'm a third year....who do they think they are? Who can afford this? :eek:
Fast Joe and yigit, I hope you guys hear soon and if I get some love from Yale you can definitely have my spot!! ;)
Again, thanks all!!!

Good choice, spacecadet22. Hope your next four years in New Orleans and at Tulane are great. See you on the other side (of Claiborne Ave.)

i got the acceptance today!
i think i'm joining you in New Orleans.
im a very happy camper.
:D :rolleyes: ;) :mad: :cool: :( :)

Congrats Yigit! Can't wait to see you there!

Your profile says you are from Detroit. Where are you from - I'm Sterling Heights (went to Stevenson for high school)?

Where are you planning to live at?

Well, anyway, congrats again!
Simul

Congrats. You made the right choice. Tulane will take you further. Also you wont have to suffer the freezing cold of four miserable Boston winters.

Congratulations yigit!!!
I'm so excited now that I've decided. I can't wait for hurricanes, Dean Pisano, Mardi Gras, Jazz fest, the MD/MPH curriculum, and orientation in the swamps....did I mention how I excited I am????!!!

PS---Screw BU---$54,000 of loans and cold weather...fuhget about it! :D :D :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from Farmington Hills and went to high school at Detroit Country Day and college at the University of Michigan. Now I'm at the University of Florida where I'm studying business and genetics (MS/MBA). I'm also very excited about Tulane and New Orleans and all that jazz (pun intended).

Simul, if you don't mind me asking where did you pick Tulane over? Others have picked it over Boston University (spacecadet), Tufts (poohbear), and Wake Forest (me). Just curious. ;) :eek: ;) :mad: :rolleyes: :oops: :cool: :D

I just got my financial aid package today, and I'm a little concerned about my decision ...

To tell you the truth, I only got into MSUCHM and Tulane. Even though I loved MSU, the midwestern weather was killing me, and I also wanted to be in a bigger city. Out of the other schools I applied to, I'd have only strongly considered Einstein or Wayne State. DCD, eh? I know enough of 'em! Where are you planning to stay, dude? I've looked for a bunch of places, but I'm not sure yet...

Well, good luck and I'll see you soon enough
Simul :)

SimulD: What about your finaid packet from Tulane that got you worried? Was it not enough? Or was it too much (as in higher than you expected)?

Here are some tips on living in New Orleans:

1) Get your own car, and resist public transit (except streetcars) whenever possible.

2) New Orleans is the land of no left turns, especially if you're driving downtown.

3) Don't fall into the tourist traps of dining in New Orleans. There are plenty of good, cheap places to eat.

4) Try not to drive around at night in/around the projects, which dot themselves around metro New Orleans.

5) Jazzfest was $20 just for the entrance fee this year! If you go the ticketmaster route, I think you can get tickets in advance for $5 cheaper.

6) Go to the Tulane football games. The tickets are free, are played in the Superdome, and the Wave will have a pretty good team this season. We need as many warm bodies as we can get in there.

7) Wear your oldest, stankiest shoes when you go down Bourbon during Mardi Gras.

8) Don't be alarmed/offended when you walk down Bourbon and you hear thousands chant "Show your t!ts"...it's kind of a tradition.

8a) If you do "show your t!ts", be careful...hundreds of videocameras are watching, and you may end up in the latest video release of "Girls gone wild: Mardi Gras" for only $9.95.

9) I think Wednesday and Friday nights (from 4pm-8pm) are happy hour at The Boot (bar on Tulane's campus). It's 3-for-1 drinks if I'm not mistaken.

10) Tulane shows $2 movies at McAlister Auditorium.

11) Work out at the Reily Center on Tulane's campus...it will probably be the nicest gym/rec center you'll ever go to.

12) The Palace Theatres are the nicest/biggest place to watch movies in New Orleans.

13) Audubon Park is probably the best place to go jogging.

14) It gets REALLY hot and humid here between June and August.

15) New Orleans might lose the Saints by the time you get here. :(

16) If you really want a good steak, go to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse...nothing else compares. :D

All good tips, puffy, but if you want to see a real college football game, drive about 80 miles for a Saturday night in Tiger Stadium. Go tigers!

I knew the cost going into all of this, but seeing the loans listed really gets you deep. It hurts man. I got $3,000 in scholarships, and the rest is loans. The budget is set at $49,540. So that is $46,540 in loans. Times 4. 'Nuff said, right?

Oh well, just something we all will deal with.

Simul

Jewel,
Though I'm going to Tulane for med school I am at the University of Florida right now and you don't even want to start that nonsense about "real" college football teams because your tigers haven't put up a fight in years. Incidentally, I got tickets to the Florida-LSU game this year where the Gators will spank your silly Tigers again.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ;)
Oh this is great...I'm not even at Tulane yet and I'm already a rabid fan of the Green Wave.

Actually, jewel's right. LSU football games are 10X better than Tulane football games (a difference of 70,000 people will do that). However, the better football team plays in the Superdome on Saturdays. :D

SimulD: yeah, it's a lot of debt, but no one at Tulane seems to fret over it too much. Pisano does a good job of brainwashing, er, I mean, convincing students that it's not a big deal.
:)

Yigit---
Yeah, our history versus UF isn't that great. Ya'll usually beat the hell out of us. However, I do remember one Saturday night a few years ago when we beat UF while you were ranked #1. Hey, it's all we've got to hold onto....until this year of course ;) . I will be there too cheering for the Tigers!

Jewel,
I dont want to change this into a football discussion (that's the last thing we need), but I wanted to say that I like LSU and their colors and their fans that are so loyal and Rohan Davey and I look forward to going to a few games in Baton Rouge during my time at Tulane.
On another note, I don't know anything about my finiancial aid situation. I filled out fafsa a long time ago and got it back, but since I'm not even positive about where I'm going next year (I'm still looking at UNC)that's as far as it's gone. When do I become concerned?

Good luck wherever you decide to go! New Orleans is awesome, and I know you'll enjoy it if you decide to come here.

Pisano did do a great job brainwashing, er, convincing me ... I owe a high-end Lexus already! Dammit.

Simul

Originally posted by SimulD:
•Pisano did do a great job brainwashing, er, convincing me ... I owe a high-end Lexus already! Dammit.

Simul•

Don't be too upset. Your medical education will last a life time. You wouldn't know how long a Lexus would last 'round these parts.
:eek:

i shouldn't bring a nice car to new orleans should i? hmmmmmmm.