Tulane Rocks!!! (Just accepted)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacchus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a letter today from Tulane that I had been accepted! I'm a regular MD candidate, interviewed on 9/10/01. Tulane ROCKS. I guess they didn't wait for the 10/15 deadline. Their letter said that since AMCAS is having problems, I have to send my transcripts and MCAT report directly to them. It makes me want to go to Tulane, even if I get in elsewhere, that they're so quick and think outside the AMCAS box. Good luck to everyone else! THERE IS LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, AND IT ISN'T THE AMCAS TRAIN COMING TOWARDS YOU.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations...that's fabulous! Way to go!!!!! :D ;) :)

Congrats!!!
One of the ENT's I work with went to Tulane and LOVED it!!!!!
Enjoy and best of luck!
L[/LIST]

Members don't see this ad :)
can u post ur email? i really would like to ask u some questions. thanx

Super-tight. Thats real nice. It must feel good to get loving this early in the game. Surely a sign of more good things to come. Good job kid. ;)

postbacchus,

congratulations!! that is so cool. who did you interview with? did you send thank you letters? what did you think of dr. pisano?

i just had my interview there on the 27th and loved the place, the interview experience moved it to my top choice.

it is so exciting knowing that they are on the ball.

maybe i'll see you there next year :D

btw, do you have any more interviews? if you do, how many of those are you going to?

Congrats! I interview at VCU next week. I hope they respond that fast! :) :) :) :)

Congrats Postbacchus- I'm very interested in Tulane and have heard nada from them so far. App long complete. :(
I wish OSU would break the 10/15 rules like Tulane did. The decision on me was made 9/26 but they insist they are bound by the rules on not informing us til 10/15. Those crazy New Orleanians (?) !

Hey Quailleggs...
I sent my app to tulane well over a month ago and heard nothing, so I called them yesterday to see if they actually recieved my stuff. The lady told me my stuff was there and that I should be receiving an interview invite for Nov 15th. This will be my first interview ever! anyway, point is call Tulane admissions and see if they have any info for you because you never know.

postbacchus, i am curious to know what is your gpa, mcat, etc.

Thanks Serpiente. I think I'll call them. Good luck on your interview! :)

Thanks to everyone for the great support. I feel truly lucky that I got such an early acceptance. Such a weight off my shoulders, and this way I can pick and choose which interviews to go to. My hunt has gone from 29 (original AMCAS) to 16 now (and maybe fewer).

For those who requested more info, here it is:
Email: [email protected]
MCAT: 33 total (10V, 11P, S, 12B)
Overall GPA: 3.84
Science GPA: 3.99 (done post-bacc. (thus post-BACChus) at a community college. I got 1 A- which brought it "down" to 3.99.)
Major: English
Lots of extracurriculars, including volunteering at a free clinic for >3 years as a phlebotomist.
Very little research (1 published abstract).
Interviews: Tulane, GW, UCSD, Hopkins, Case Western. (I was invited but now am not going to Eastern Virginia.)

About the interview: I interviewed with Dr. Knight (head of peds) & Dr. Owens (chaplain). I did not send Thank you notes (I figure they get enough mail already). I loved Pisano and the whole school. They're really on top of things and work around the system. I really like that attitude. I'll be very happy if I end up there, though I'm waiting to hear from other schools.

Thanks again for all the support. This is a great forum!

Congrats PostB. Your stats are great. I made the acceptance range at Tulane but with much worse stats. When you get into a school higher on your list, don't forget to free me up a spot at Tulane!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!

I had a quick question on where you did your post bacc. I was wondering why you chose to do it at a community college rather than a state school or something else. I'm curious because I am planning on doing a post bacc and am not sure whether to go to a uc school or a cal state or community.
Thank you and congrats again!

I got an acceptance in the mail last Friday also. Tulane is really a great place, good luck to those interviewing! If you have any questions, let me know.

You will love Tulane - I did my undergraduate degrees there and am now doing post bacc work at a state school - trying to get back to Tulane for Med School! Tulane is laid back, genuine, non-competitive. If you're an uptight, super overachiever, guns-a-blazing type, you might want to find another school that fosters a more competitive environment. All of my friends who stayed at Tulane raved about how comfy it was. Remember, New Orleans is a quirky, southern city - but you'll love every minute (and will actually have the time to enjoy it!) of living there. I apply next spring (after I get this ochem/bio/phsyics year of hell outta the way!) Hope to see ya there - CONGRATS! :D

kjm - I'd be happy to email you about it. I want to try to stay anonymous on the boards, and have lots of specific info which might identify me. (They're out to get me! I'm usually not so paranoid.) You can email me at: [email protected]

I just got my interview invite in the mail today! I'm so excited to actually have the opportunity to see New Orleans. I know this sounds a bit wierd, but my mom has ALWAYS wanted to see New Orleans, so she's going with me and we're making a 5 day vacation of the experience. I hope I love the town and the school as much as you guys do...I would love to go there.

Congrats to all of you!

I hope you all do choose Tulane Med, because it is truly a great place to be. Take it from me - a T1 - it is a supportive environment, cool city, great students, and lots of opportunities for community service and other outside interests.

I just wish I had more time to goof at CCs on Magazine or get silly at the Uptown bars or to just sit and watch street performers near Jackson Square ... I guess summer will come, and I will be able to all that stuff soon 'nuff.

But without lying or trying to recruit you, and also because I have no other frame of reference (I, like most people, plan to attend just one med school, hehe), this place is awesome. Pisano picks an amazing group of kids (me excluded, I'm pretty normal) and he rarely picks dinguses (though there are always one or two). There is way too much to do with school, community service, nightlife, sporting events, workout facilities ... The second year class really takes care of us (you'll know what I mean, when we do the same for y'all next year) and the faculty and staff aim to please.

If you have any questions, feel free to write!

Simul
Tulane Med '05
[email protected]

I was beginning to think that I was the only one who wanted to go to Tulane! Congratulations. (people at Vandy hate it when I say that Tulane is a better school ;-)

Originally posted by fearron:
•I was beginning to think that I was the only one who wanted to go to Tulane! Congratulations. (people at Vandy hate it when I say that Tulane is a better school ;-)•

I'm just curious, why do you think Tulane is a better school than Vandy? Not saying I disagree with you, its just that I'm having a hard time distinguishing between the two programs academically.

It doesnt really matter at this point, I'm most likely going to turn down my acceptance at both Tulane and Vandy. Both are great programs though.

It is more of a joke. I feel that they are pretty much equal on all aspects:educational value, people, and cities (well, NOLA is a better city--much more to do). I am from LA and my whole life have said that I would go to LSU or Tulane. People here in TN always give me a hard time about being from LA and say how much better Vandy is. Tulane does have more choices of hospitals to do rotations (there are 4-5!). At these hospitals I would have more chance for trauma and surgery.I also know that in your firtst years of medical school, you are required at Tulane to take an ambulance ride. Looking at both of the schools, I guess I would say you get more oustside knowledge at Tulane. Check out their website and download the facts of their school. That would help you decide?
Where else do you want to go? Just curiuos.
Hope that was somewhat helpful.

bobcat and Darwin...could you guys please post some stats...