Tulane vs Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DominusFatiMei

Reaction score
Tulane vs Illinois Chicago

(Tulane)
(Pros)
Shorter blocks (about 1 exam per month)
Familiar with the program (faculty, current students, etc..)
Good matching into competitive specialities
Already involved in research there (my PI would be glad to keep me under him)
Awesome city in terms of culture and community

(Cons)
Main training hospital is in the process of being moved to smaller off-site hospital (which will likely affect my clinical rotations).
Outdated facilities
Department in the specialty I want to match in is not very good.
Seems slightly more disorganized in general

(Illinois)
(Pros)
Better clinical sites and opportunities in surrounding programs
Strong department in my specialty of interest (have connected with Chair)
More job opportunities for my significant other
Nicer facilities than Tulane
Better research funding
Access to lectures from other 2 campuses
Chicago is also an interesting city

(Cons)
Slightly more expensive (about 30k)
Harsh winters (I'm from a southern state) (not preferred but also not a deal-breaker)
Long blocks (2 exams per semester) (higher risk! concerned about this.)
Unfamiliar with the school (not sure if the culture is as collaborative as Tulane)

(Both)
Similar reputations (better name recognition for Tulane?)
Similar matching (slight edge Illinois)
Pass/fail
Similar cost of living (slight edge New Orleans)
Diverse patient populations

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
low-key our Illinois winters haven't been that bad so far, global warming lmao

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
Familiarity with the program is a strong bonus.

Both of these schools are expensive, so I’d try to save that 30k to make it a little easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tulane > Illinois, especially with research connections that will help you get into competitive specialties a bit easier. Familiarity will save you so much stress and adaptation time, congrats!

Reactions: 1 user
Well that's comforting haha I was slightly concerned.
No need to worry, I think the most snow we got was like 3-4 inches? Been some very mild winters and *knock on wood* it stays that way! If you have any questions on Chicago as a city please feel free to message :)

Reactions: 1 users
Tulane > Illinois, especially with research connections that will help you get into competitive specialties a bit easier. Familiarity will save you so much stress and adaptation time, congrats!
I do appreciate the fact that I already have a relationship with my current PI but I will have the opportunity to do research with the department of my specialty of interest at UIC. I'm pretty set on that specialty and the department at UIC is much better. Familiarity and established relationships are a big attractant to Tulane for me but I can also build relationships with faculty/peers at any institution.

Tulane vs Illinois Chicago

(Tulane)
(Cons)
Main training hospital is in the process of being moved to smaller off-site hospital (which will likely affect my clinical rotations).
Department in the specialty I want to match in is not very good.

(Illinois)
(Pros)
Better clinical sites and opportunities in surrounding programs
Strong department in my specialty of interest (have connected with Chair)
You've answered your own question.

Only question now is Cubs or White Sox.

Reactions: 2 users
Tulane all the way, they are actually spending $600 million dollar into renovating the charity hospital which was lost during hurricane Katrina, there will be incredible opportunities in the near future. Additionally, Illinois is broke AF last time I interviewed with them

Tulane all the way, they are actually spending $600 million dollar into renovating the charity hospital which was lost during hurricane Katrina, there will be incredible opportunities in the near future. Additionally, Illinois is broke AF last time I interviewed with them
Unfortunately Charity Hospital wont be renovated until several years from now and it will not be used as a clinical site. It will be used for research labs, offices and other facilities. It is great for Tulane but students in the the upcoming class will not benefit from these developments. Also the merger with LCMC is currently blocked by the federal government. Legal proceedings for that might also delay the merger significantly (possibly a few years).

I am not very familiar with the situation, but it does seem they have been trying to do something for years now with the building with no progress. I would not put any stock into plans they are proposing.

If the merger is being blocked, where are the students rotating? I thought the plan was for the students to rotate with LCMC sites? Also, is UI chicago still broke? When I interviewed with them, they were having major federal funding issues

If the merger is being blocked, where are the students rotating? I thought the plan was for the students to rotate with LCMC sites? Also, is UI chicago still broke? When I interviewed with them, they were having major federal funding issues
For now Tulane Medical Center. Not sure when the transition to East Jefferson Hospital will happen now that things are in limbo. Not sure about the current financial situation at UIC.

low-key our Illinois winters haven't been that bad so far, global warming lmao
Well that's comforting haha I was slightly concerned.
As a current student at purdue, this is absolutely false. I'm from the south and winter here is dreadful and dead from late october to late april. It is incredibly windy and blisteringly cold. I hate it. The summers are bliss, though.

In addition, global warming has changed temps since 1900 a little less than one degree celsius. Lol.

• Dislike
As a current student at purdue, this is absolutely false. I'm from the south and winter here is dreadful and dead from late october to late april. It is incredibly windy and blisteringly cold. I hate it. The summers are bliss, though.

In addition, global warming has changed temps since 1900 a little less than one degree celsius. Lol.
gonna have to disagree with you there, could just be since I'm from Chicago that I'm used to it but our winters haven't been close to what they used to be

I heard the winters are still bad from a few people familiar with the area. Coming from the south it will still be very cold to me. I'm just going to have to get used to it.

I heard the winters are still bad from a few people familiar with the area. Coming from the south it will still be very cold to me. I'm just going to have to get used to it.
Nice. Would pick illinois over Tulane any day

Reactions: 1 user