This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lexaford

Reaction score
I really need advice. Please help!

I have been blessed to be accepted to three osteopathic schools: LMU-DCOM, WVSOM, and TUNCOM. I am waiting to hear back from LECOM.

I did my post-bacc at EVMS and was interviewed by them and am on the "mid-tier" of their waitlist right now. EVMS is my top choice as it's the only MD program I've gotten invited to and I live in the area with my parents, friends, and my bf goes to this school.

My issue is I don't know which deposit to pay. They're all 2000 dollars at these DO schools and I can't decide which school to reserve my spot at. I'm torn between WVSOM and TUNCOM. I love Las Vegas because a lot of my family is out there, but I don't want to be across the country from my family or enter a long-distance relationship. They have the best boards scores but also super high cost of living. WVSOM is a great school but is in an ultra rural town in WV.

I'm really just torn. If anyone can offer me any advice I'd be super appreciative, especially any current medical students from any of these schools or anyone who has any advice about getting off of waitlists. Thank you so much

EVMS
Pros
  • Only MD option
  • Did my post-bacc here
  • Am from Norfolk (the city where the school is located)
  • My parents live here
  • My s/o goes here
  • LOVE the school
  • Research

Cons
  • WAITLISTED - middle tier, cannot guarentee
  • Nothing else, in my eyes

LMU-DCOM
Pros
  • Like Knoxville enough
  • Staff seems great
  • Cluster frick rotations
Cons
  • Small building/lackluster
  • Huge class
  • Accreditation issues !!!
  • No research

TUNCOM
Pros
  • I love the idea of living in Vegas
  • Top COMLEX pass rates - 100% last year first try
  • My family lives in Reno, NV ~ 8 hours away
  • Loved the professionalism on interview day
  • Rotations
Cons
  • Veryyyy far from family and s/o
  • Expensive cost of living $$$$$
  • Will likely need roommates

WVSOM
Pros
  • 4.5 hour drive from home
  • Amazingggg campus and facilities
  • Well established
  • Could afford to live alone
  • Dean is dope af, only friday exams, lots of COMLEX prep time
Cons
  • Rural AF
  • I hate the housing options here
  • Not impressed with COMLEX pass rate - less than national average

Members don't see this ad.

I feel you I had to put an early deposit down for WCUCOM, then later got accepted to TUNCOM and decided to put my deposit down for them regardless of the extra tuition price. I love the area and my dad lives semi close in California. Down 3.5k and waiting to hear back from one school and two waitlists (One MD). This hurts. WVSOM sounds like the best option for you financially and location wise for matching near back home. There should be info on what waitlists generally look like for each school.

I agree with the above. If EVMS doesn’t work out, I think WVSOM will work out best. Closer to family and I assume a good deal cheaper than TUNCOM. 8 hours to Reno sounds terrible. Maybe if you can fly that would make it faster, but that just makes it about the same as a 4.5 hour drive from WV. Would stay away from LMU.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel you I had to put an early deposit down for WCUCOM, then later got accepted to TUNCOM and decided to put my deposit down for them regardless of the extra tuition price. I love the area and my dad lives semi close in California. Down 3.5k and waiting to hear back from one school and two waitlists (One MD). This hurts. WVSOM sounds like the best option for you financially and location wise for matching near back home. There should be info on what waitlists generally look like for each school.
I'm in the exact same boat and it blows. Like I'm thankful but stressed af not knowing where I'm going to live. I really love the area of TUNCOM and my dad also lives near there. Maybe we'll be classmates? lol but hopefully not, I sincerely hope you get off of your waitlist as well as myself. Thank you for the input!

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the above. If EVMS doesn’t work out, I think WVSOM will work out best. Closer to family and I assume a good deal cheaper than TUNCOM. 8 hours to Reno sounds terrible. Maybe if you can fly that would make it faster, but that just makes it about the same as a 4.5 hour drive from WV. Would stay away from LMU.
They're actually the same price which is what makes me hesitant, though obviously cost of living in Vegas is more expensive. & yes I agree. I love LMU but will take the school with the better standing for now. Thank you for the input!