Turned in my resignation yesterday..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LNinlove

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else quit a "perfectly good job" to start dental school? I have worked full time for the last 10 years, and it was really weird to turn in my resignation. Granted, I'm not quitting for another couple months, but the countdown has begun. I felt sick to my stomach to be honest, but I have to remember why I am doing this. Maybe this is dental school becoming a reality!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else quit a "perfectly good job" to start dental school? I have worked full time for the last 10 years, and it was really weird to turn in my resignation. Granted, I'm not quitting for another couple months, but the countdown has begun. I felt sick to my stomach to be honest, but I have to remember why I am doing this. Maybe this is dental school becoming a reality!

I quit after 6 years as an engineer. I can't say I felt sick because I HATED corporate life! I've never felt better!

I know what you mean. I'll be handing in my resignation in a few months. Nothing like turning your back on nice money to live like a pauper for four years. I am not only changing careers, but also selling a house, moving my family and asking my wife to find a new job in a new town (I owe her BIGTIME). But it will all be worth it! I know and have talked with enough dentists and seen enough of the corporate life to know which one I want to be doing in 15 years. It may sound cliche but life really is too short, and things only speed up as you get older. Fours years seemed like a lifetime when I started undergrad. Now that I have children it seems like someone is pushing the fast forward button.

When I start to get that anxious feeling about making the big change I just think about how things will be 7-8 years down the road. All the people I work with now who hate, or at least have no passion for their job will still be stuck where they are, still wishing there was something better. I'll be living my dream (corny, but true).

Members don't see this ad :)
You are doing the right thing my friend.

I too quit my engineering job of three years, where I enjoyed paid trips to places like San Diego, Pearl Harbor, Seattle, etc all in the name of going back to school for dentistry. Not to mention, selling my beloved 350z...I kept the motorcycle and the condo though-haha.

Just remember, if you enjoy what you're doing (and who you're working for)...it's not really work.

Good luck!

Being your own boss and making good money are two things are are very difficult to find in any area of work. Thankfully, dentistry allows you to do that in a reasonable way.

Good luck in dental school! You deserve it, wow I couldn't have been more wrong about you. Guess your going to have to go back to shopping at JC Penny for your suits eh??:p

I will be turning in my resignation in about 6 weeks. Do it, and don't look back. In ten years, when you own your own practice and call the shots, you'll laugh that you were "sick to your stomach."

All the best, buddy!

I know I am doing the right thing, but it still seems crazy to me. I have a wife and a kid and that just makes it worse.

UGGG getting rid of the 350Z? There will be plenty more where that came from. Thankfully my cars are paid off, so I only need to worry about maintenance on them. Which is actually looking like it might be a problem sooner than I think... :/

JustWU, did you get in??? And you aren't kidding about that! Looks like I'm heading to Wal-Mart to buy my next one! All kidding aside, I wish you the best!

Thanks everyone for the kind words...I appreciate it!

congrats! i too will be quitting a really great job to enter dental school. could've gotten a company-paid MBA, but realize that the most important thing is following your heart!

good luck.