Tuskegee c/o 2017 Applicants!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congradulations to all that have interviews :) It is very exciting I remember being in your shoes last year :) If anyone has an question feel free to ask :) I will be helping with interviews Wednesday and giving tours :) It will be great adding more to the TUSVM family :D

Members don't see this ad.

I'm on the 20th as well!! I'm from FL and NJ so I can tell you that it is quite different down south (although I've never been to AL). My parents and I are gonna stay down there an extra day to check out the Tuskegee/Auburn area and to hopefully speak with a real estate agent to figure out which areas would be appropriate for me to have an apt. I'm incredibly nervous for this interview as its currently my only one (damn Western taking forever!) but Tuskegee was always one of my top choices.

where in FL are you coming from I came from Florida but am originally from NY as well :) you are definitely right about the change from north and south though lol but its a good change

where in FL are you coming from I came from Florida but am originally from NY as well :) you are definitely right about the change from north and south though lol but its a good change

I'm from Port Saint Lucie and in NJ I'm from Central NJ (right where Hurricane Sandy hit, about 10 miles from the Jersey Shore house).

Members don't see this ad :)
So now we wait...it looks like some people got their acceptances on March 26 last year. I'm hoping we don't have to wait until April!

Are there any current vet students that could give a little advice. I emailed Amy b/c I have no idea how much they will allow for living expenses as far as borrowing, I am aware of the tuition and fee's cost. She suggested I contact a current vet student to see how much the cost of living/ personal expenses run. I would just like an idea of how much it will cost me to rent, buy books, pay for health insurance, gas etc. and if Tuskegee lets you borrow what you think you need to live on or if there is a limit. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello there I am a first year and could give you some insight.....the amount you borrow or wil "need" depends on whether you will be rooming alone and also whether you wanted a one bedroom or two bedroom....the max I believe they allow you to take out if you are out of state is I believe 79,000 for the year so so about 39,500 for the semester then you would subtract tuition which is like 19,000 and som change and about I believe 1500 for insurance that you have to get with the school and then what is remain after that is what you would have to live on until second semester where you will get the same disbursment....I know plenty of my classmates who take out the max and live very comfortable and have rent ranging from 580-900 depending on what you want your housing to be.....I have not known anyone in my class who is struggling to live off that amount......I would say take out the max and if you do not use it all save it for next semester and then just don't ask for as much that year.....It is difficult to say how much your expenses would be because it depends how you will be living and if you have any expenses you will be bringing from home like a car quote or something and also if you are car pulling like many do your gases expenses would be less....I say ask for the max you can't go wrong you are most likely NOT going to need the 79,000 but like I said its best to have extra and then give back then not have enough I hope that helps let me know if you have any other questions

Hey guys.. So I know I'm jumping the gun a little bit here, but I was wondering if any of the current students can tell me if we have a spring break/when that is? Also about when classes end? My sister is trying to book her wedding in NJ. If I were to get into vet school it would have to be scheduled around that and we couldn't find any academic calendars online.

Also, I was wondering if there were classes on Fridays? I know some schools only do electives or always have exams on Fridays, so I was just curious as to how Tuskegee worked!

We're getting closer guys! Less than 3 weeks til we should hear back!!

we actually just finished up with our spring break :( lol it was from march 2nd- march 10th. we also get a Easter break which starts on march 28th to April 1st. There is definitely class on Fridays....there is class everyday but there are days in which you get out early :) which is usually on Fridays or Wednesdays....as far as your last day of school in the spring semester I believe it is May 9th :) good luck hope to see you here

we do not have electives until I believe 4th year btw

Okay! Do you guys know your spring break for next year? I found one academic calendar that has spring break listed as March 8-16, but I think that's for the undergrad school and I wasn't sure if you were on the same schedule as them!

Thanks so much for your help =)

I am not positive but in pretty sure it's about the same time next year.... I do know that we do not follow the curriculum of the Tuskegee undergrads since we are independent of the main school.....I remember talking to a second year and she said its pretty much the same every year..... Anymore questions let me know ;) good luck once again I heard some decisions where made and letters should be going out at the end of the month ;)

Say one is accepted to Tuskegee: how much is the deposit to hold your spot?

Members don't see this ad :)
Fingers crossed!

When does the fall semester start for Tuskegee?

I believe we started around August 22nd :) officially but had orientation that Monday and Tuesday

Has anyone heard from Tuskegee i have been checking the mail everyday!!! does anyone think they will let us know by email like for he interview?

I believe we started around August 22nd :) officially but had orientation that Monday and Tuesday

Thank you for the reply!

cowmed, I still haven't heard anything. I tried logging onto the application and it says "Please pardon our progress, the site is under major review. It is going to be back up on April 16, 2013" I guess that's something :p

Has anyone heard from Tuskegee i have been checking the mail everyday!!! does anyone think they will let us know by email like for he interview?

I emailed Amy a couple of days ago and she said we will be notified via the postal service. I havent heard anything about them sending letters yet. They were out for easteron wednesday or thursday..... im getting really impatient :)

Hey guys :)

I know how much it can suck to have to wait but I am sure it is almost over....they do send out the letters via certified mail and we have Easter break from Thursday 3/28- Monday 4/1.... I don't think I saw any changes on the website it was just a matter of waiting for the mail.... Last I heard letters were going to be sent out end of month - early April ....I wish I could help the process along ...... I don't think they know how much the waiting really hurts lol but you guys are almost there :)

ok im glad im not the only one i have been going crazy waiting

Alright. So, I applied to TU and haven't heard back but I got accepted into U of I. To be honest I was not very impressed with the technology nor facilities of TU, but I loved the environment and the people. I was concerned about the number of cases students have to learn from, but maybe with the new hospital that will improve. TU is significantly cheaper. For does who attend why did you decided to go? Why do others decided to apply? I am trying to see if I can get a good pros and cons in case I get accepted.

Alright. So, I applied to TU and haven't heard back but I got accepted into U of I. To be honest I was not very impressed with the technology nor facilities of TU, but I loved the environment and the people. I was concerned about the number of cases students have to learn from, but maybe with the new hospital that will improve. TU is significantly cheaper. For does who attend why did you decided to go? Why do others decided to apply? I am trying to see if I can get a good pros and cons in case I get accepted.

So I know people in my class have similar reasons why we chose Tuskegee but I can tell you why I chose it.....I also had the option to go to another vet school two in fact two others but I knew what kind of vets Tuskegee makes....I had a great opportunity to be mentored by 4 vets for 5 years that graduated from Tuskegee and I was not looking for them it just so happened that they graduated from Tuskegee and they gave me an opportunity to shadow them......they all came from Puerto Rico :)

I picked Tuskegee because of the environment and the people in it....I felt like a person and not like another applicant as i did when I went to the other schools....also it is true Tuskegee has the basics but I was not worried about that because I know what what kind of vets are made at Tuskegee...you have to learn the basics first and build your foundation.....realistically your first job or couple of jobs is not going to have the most high tech machines you are probably going to have to know what the basics....you can always learn how to use the fancy machines and it is always good to know how to perform you jobs with without the high tech equipment in my opinion....I also think it is great that we are 15 minutes away from another vet school so there is opportunity there as well unlike other schools were its the only vet school in the state.....I guess when you make your decision make sure you do what you feel is right....not because it is cheaper because where ever you chose to go you will be there for 4 years and it will be your home away from home :) there are some cons I will not lie such as they work on southern time but it is a nice way to build patience lol ...one other reason I chose this school is because you are helped and we thrive on building a family environment so you never feel alone ...good luck in your decision and remember chose where you feel most comfortable. ....I do not want to sell you Tuskegee becasue it may not be a fit for you but I just wanted to tell you why I choose tuskegee I felt it was a better fit for me :) then the other schools GOOD LUCK and congratulation on getting into vet school

sorry for any typos darn iphone auto correct lol

I emailed amy bc i was tired of checking my mail a couple times a day. she said letters would be sent out the second week of april. so much waiting!!!

Hi everyone I am an applicant to TUSVM Amy told me the exact same thing I interviewed for serp hopefully letters will be mailed out soon!

Oh my goodness why do they make us wait so long!!! I go to the University of Tennessee and they are already starting to let people know (i didn't get in here btdubs) but this is torture

I definitely agree lol I don't know why they do that to us but next week we should know. I have already been accepted to two masters programs there as back up plans but hopefully I will get in.

check your emails people! i got my acceptance but i'll be declining. good luck all! :luck:

I got in!! First acceptance after three rejections.

If Mississippi State offers me a spot off their alternate list, I will more than likely take that. Good luck to anyone that makes it onto the waitlist.

Do any of you all know if they sent out serp letters and emails also?

I got accepted Yay:laugh: i can't believe it im so excited!!!! Can't wait for the Fall:laugh:

I got accepted into the serp program for all others that were interviewed for serp you will receive and email in the morning and the serp program starts on the first Monday in june which is (june 3,2013)

So, is the deposit due with the written statement of intent in April, or is it due in May? I see two different due dates. I meant to call them but I was in class all day.

No letter for me yet, I'm going to go insane over the weekend! I just want to know yes or no so I can move on with my life....

No letter for me yet, I'm going to go insane over the weekend! I just want to know yes or no so I can move on with my life....

Same goes for me. I can't help but instantly think of the worst since I haven't heard yes. I'm trying hard to stay positive, but this will probably be the slowest weekend ever!!

Same goes for me. I can't help but instantly think of the worst since I haven't heard yes. I'm trying hard to stay positive, but this will probably be the slowest weekend ever!!

Well, hopefully we both get some good news. My friend said one of her class mates didn't hear until the end of April and she was not on a waitlist. Cheers and maybe I will see you this fall!

I feel the exact same way! No letter for me either and its driving me crazy trying to find out why a handful of people have already found out.

Don't they have to let you know something by April 15th?

I feel the exact same way! No letter for me either and its driving me crazy trying to find out why a handful of people have already found out.

Don't they have to let you know something by April 15th?

No, Tuskegee is an exception to the April 15th rule.

Oh ok, I was wondering since they are a private school. Thanks for clearing that up! Hopefully I will hear something sooner rather than later.

Sounds like quite a few of us still haven't heard yet! I don't know about you all, but that brings a little encouragment and hope my way. Praying the rest of us will hear something back from them tomorrow. Good luck everyone! Hopefully we will all be at Tuskegee in August!

three got accepted at wku in KY friday. The past couple years they have accepted more, but I heard they only were going to offer three spots to KY. has anyone else from KY got any acceptance letters?
I assume that no email meant no acceptance since the three that got in got emails and there was only three spots and the rest of us that applied from KY didnt get any emails.

Just because you may not received an email does not mean that you were rejected they are sending emails out in bunches furthermore persons that received an email may declined leaving an open spot for others or waiting list applicants.

Do they offer KY residents non contracted spots, I have seen other schools offer seats to contract state students but as OOS students instead. hope that makes sense...

Youre right. One of them is going to Auburn instead, but the other two are taking it. These are just from wku though. I was wondering if any others from KY got emails as well

Congrats to those who have been accepted and good luck to those waiting

I am starting to look for places to live and I was wondering if anybody that goes to Tuskegee have any suggestions. I have been looking around auburn at some apartments but would love some in sight. Thanks