Two C- in English...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hk64

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my first semester during freshman year, I have received one withdraw with passing, C in Math, C- in Writing, and B+ in Japanese, because I have had a major health issue.

To recover from the bad english grade, I have put quite an efforts in the next english class and received A-.

But unfortunately, in my first semester of senior year, while taking 6 classes, I mismanaged with my english class and received C- again... ( I received As and one B+ in other classes that semester).

I got very disappointed because even if my health issue would have explained C- in English in my freshman year, I received another C- in English very recently.

Anyway, I have taken two additional english classes in second semester of senior years, among 6 classes again, and received B+ and A.

On summary, I received C-(freshman 1st smst) A- (sophomore) C- (senior 1st smst) B+ and A (senior 2nd) in English.

I was planning to cover up my first C- in English by getting As in the two additional English classes, but I ended up getting C- again.

I don't think A and B+ in my last senior year would fully cover up two previous C-.
But, do you think if I receive quite a decent score in RC (like 21~22), it wouldn't be too much problem, especially for schools which put emphasis on DAT over GPA like Columbia?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about it, if you score well on the DAT that will help but I think the science GPA carries more emphasis than the overall GPA. As long as you have A's and B's in your science classes then I personally think you should be fine. Also why are you taking so many english classes? I've only taken two semesters and that's it.

Thanks for your opinion.

Initially, I was planning to take only two English class, but certainly I shouldn't count C- credit as one of the two. So, I planned to take two more and have As on them, but unfortunately, I ended up getting C- on my third English class. As a result, I ended up having two C-s in English, and I felt it's necessary to take as many additional English classes as possible to show that I can perform better in English, which ended up with five total. My science grades are, I believe, OK for most of the schools. I was just very worried particularly with my very low grades in English, because it's a field of studies that med and dental schools put emphasis on.