• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Two C- in English...

hk64

7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2011
  1. Pre-Dental
    In my first semester during freshman year, I have received one withdraw with passing, C in Math, C- in Writing, and B+ in Japanese, because I have had a major health issue.

To recover from the bad english grade, I have put quite an efforts in the next english class and received A-.

But unfortunately, in my first semester of senior year, while taking 6 classes, I mismanaged with my english class and received C- again... ( I received As and one B+ in other classes that semester).

I got very disappointed because even if my health issue would have explained C- in English in my freshman year, I received another C- in English very recently.

Anyway, I have taken two additional english classes in second semester of senior years, among 6 classes again, and received B+ and A.

On summary, I received C-(freshman 1st smst) A- (sophomore) C- (senior 1st smst) B+ and A (senior 2nd) in English.

I was planning to cover up my first C- in English by getting As in the two additional English classes, but I ended up getting C- again.

I don't think A and B+ in my last senior year would fully cover up two previous C-.
    But, do you think if I receive quite a decent score in RC (like 21~22), it wouldn't be too much problem, especially for schools which put emphasis on DAT over GPA like Columbia?

Last edited:

ataha

Feb 29, 2012
    Orlando.
    1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
      Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about it, if you score well on the DAT that will help but I think the science GPA carries more emphasis than the overall GPA. As long as you have A's and B's in your science classes then I personally think you should be fine. Also why are you taking so many english classes? I've only taken two semesters and that's it.

hk64

7+ Year Member
      Mar 30, 2011
      1. Pre-Dental
        Thanks for your opinion.

Initially, I was planning to take only two English class, but certainly I shouldn't count C- credit as one of the two. So, I planned to take two more and have As on them, but unfortunately, I ended up getting C- on my third English class. As a result, I ended up having two C-s in English, and I felt it's necessary to take as many additional English classes as possible to show that I can perform better in English, which ended up with five total. My science grades are, I believe, OK for most of the schools. I was just very worried particularly with my very low grades in English, because it's a field of studies that med and dental schools put emphasis on.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.