two-day interviews - attire question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSTP?

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, admittedly a kinda stupid question, but I'm asking it anyway. Most MSTP interviews are over two days. Are you all buying two different suits or just wearing the same suit with a different shirt? What did people do last year?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an MSTP alum and at least how it was at my institution was that one of the days was more casual, like brunch at the program director's and stuff. All the big interviews (for med school and the MSTP were on one day). So for the brunch/tour/hang out day, I would wear something like slacks and a blouse/sweater etc. On the formal interview day, would wear a suit.

They should make this clear to you, and if they don't, email the program coordinator to find out. You shouldn't need to bring 2 suits under any circumstance.

I'm an MSTP alum and at least how it was at my institution was that one of the days was more casual, like brunch at the program director's and stuff. All the big interviews (for med school and the MSTP were on one day). So for the brunch/tour/hang out day, I would wear something like slacks and a blouse/sweater etc. On the formal interview day, would wear a suit.

They should make this clear to you, and if they don't, email the program coordinator to find out. You shouldn't need to bring 2 suits under any circumstance.

hmmm, well i already have one that is md/phd interviews one day and then md interviews the next day.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't go spending the money on a second suit. It's a waste, save the money for something you'd rather spend it on. You'll find that most people simply wear a different shirt (both men and women) and tie (for the men). Some people will wear the same set of clothes two days in a row - not recommended just because you don't want to smell. So yeah second shirt (and tie for the guys) is the best way to go.

I went hunting on this forum a while back because I had the same question. Here's an old thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=147552

I'm a girl. Is there truth to the comment that interviewers tend to notice if females wear the same outfit on both days?

My problem is that the suit I ended up buying is gray with a check pattern that is subtle enough to be tasteful but prominent enough to make people notice if I wear the suit two days in a row. I'll probably end up buying a second suit (standard black) and tell myself it's an investment..

Hey Guys

Absolutely do not buy a second suit unless you really want to. For guys, you can wear a different shirt/tie the second day but it really doesn't matter. No one will notice and if they do they won't care.

A lot of schools do have one "informal" day followed by a formal one. Either way don't go wasting your time/money on these things. You want to look good but no program expects you to go spending lots of money on these things.

Also chances are you won't be seeing the same interviewers two days in a row. Usually the people you'd interact with over both days are the program assistants and maybe the director. Usually these individuals are not involved explicitely in the decision making process.