Two Options after Failing a Class - Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MartletMD

O Canada...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This last semester was a rough one for me in my Calculus II class. I really disliked the professor and the entire class failing every quiz (the class average was a 40% going into the final). The final was worth 70-90% of the grade for the course, and it was the hardest test I have ever taken. The exam was curved and everyone was happy, except for me, because I failed. Not like pre-med gunner failed, actually failed.

My GPA before this was a 3.8 and after, I'm still holding onto a 3.19 because I have yet to get below a B+ in any other course. I'm going to bring it up in the coming semesters, but for now I need to focus on mitigating the F in calculus.

As per my home university's policy, I now have two viable options to fix this: I can take another exam that will could for the same number of credits for the class and will help negate the F, or I can take a course at another school. I need to work this summer, and the only course locally is at my community college.

I'm really apprehensive about taking this community college course because I'm worried how this could affect med school admissions (perception, etc.), but I definitely don't want to fail the supplemental exam (these are notoriously more difficult than the original final).

Can anyone give me advice here? Which option should I choose: retake at a community college or take the exam?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm confused about how this exam works. Does it average in with the current class? Do you get an F for the first calculus class and then the test acts like a second course? It's kind of an important distinction, because if you can avoid an F on your transcript, that's the path to take.

Basically, you are thinking about getting INTO medical school. In Ohio, the small medical school I go to graduates students into residencies in radiology, derm, ortho, gen surgery, etc every year. And we get students accepted to the Mayo clinic, Cleveland clinic, community hospitals, and everywhere else.

What I am saying is that the medical school you go to doesn't matter too much. You don't NEED to go to a Top 20 school to get a GREAT education and residency.

Of course, even if it DID matter, you are talking about a great GPA with one bad class. Taking Calc at a community college and getting a C, with As everywhere else isn't going to kill your resume.

Members don't see this ad :)
The F will remain on my transcript with either option, but the supplemental will balance it. The supplemental will act as a 4-credit exam/course.

Calc II at my school is known as the engineering weeding course. An average of 40% is actually pretty normal, at least here. I say retake the course at your uni but be careful on selecting professors.

The F will remain on my transcript with either option, but the supplemental will balance it. The supplemental will act as a 4-credit exam/course.

If you have the time, I would suggest retaking it. Given that you just had a less than stellar test performance in the class, giving yourself more time to learn the material is probably to your advantage.

Do not take the exam option. If it is harder than the original test, like you said, it is not reasonable to expect to do better. The best option would be to retake it at your university next semester, with a different professor, and do everything in your power to get an A. Probably a good idea to find other students that have taken several math courses and find a professor they like that is teaching it. Taking it over the summer at a CC will not look "bad", just taking it at your university will look better.

Basically, you are thinking about getting INTO medical school. In Ohio, the small medical school I go to graduates students into residencies in radiology, derm, ortho, gen surgery, etc every year. And we get students accepted to the Mayo clinic, Cleveland clinic, community hospitals, and everywhere else.

What I am saying is that the medical school you go to doesn't matter too much. You don't NEED to go to a Top 20 school to get a GREAT education and residency.

Of course, even if it DID matter, you are talking about a great GPA with one bad class. Taking Calc at a community college and getting a C, with As everywhere else isn't going to kill your resume.

If you have the time, I would suggest retaking it. Given that you just had a less than stellar test performance in the class, giving yourself more time to learn the material is probably to your advantage.

Do not take the exam option. If it is harder than the original test, like you said, it is not reasonable to expect to do better. The best option would be to retake it at your university next semester, with a different professor, and do everything in your power to get an A. Probably a good idea to find other students that have taken several math courses and find a professor they like that is teaching it. Taking it over the summer at a CC will not look "bad", just taking it at your university will look better.

Thanks for the quick responses everyone! I really don't have the time to retake it at my home university (I'm pushing my credit limits already by not having any transfer credits from HS and planning to take my Biochem and English courses during a summer.) and I've already taken the course the with best prof (This guy got about 300-400 first year students to walk through -20ºC weather at 8:30 AM all semester. Kids literally sat in the aisles.).

I'm leaning strongly towards the CC option now. It might sting my pride and my wallet a little bit more, but I'm trying to think of this whole thing as a life experience. :)

Thanks again!

Hahaha, of course I wasn't referring to you. I meant like the kids who are like "omfgggg I got a B I totally failed." Which is fine, that can be shocking too, but I just wanted to distinguish that from an actual F. :)

(...I know you were probably being sarcastic, I hope you were, but just to clarify.) :D

Just wanted to update people so maybe this thread can be more useful for others ending up in my situation: I'm retaking the course at my CC, and doing really well; on track to get an A or A- and the final is this Friday. Thanks again to everybody who posted above!

Hopefully, I'll update again in a few years so people can see what impact this had on my application. :)