Two weeks left..need advice for the final stretch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeppelinpage4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I officially have two weeks to buckle down and study for my August 18th date. My Kaplan class finished yesterday and I'm done volunteering this week. So essentially I have no significant commitments till my MCAT on the 18th.

I've read though each of the Kaplan books taking notes on the margins and doing every end of chapter problem over the last 2.5 months. (so I pretty much finished content at this point) I also have completed 4 Kaplan full lengths, but still need to do the AAMC tests (I could not fit time to do them with the Kaplan class).

Honestly my biggest worry is content, I feel like I've forgotten a bunch of stuff from my first month of study and I still need to memorize the enzymes/hormones and anatomy for the bio section. I also need to sit down and memorize the physics equations. Pretty much I feel like I should go back and review the content I've covered, but it would take me almost a week to go back over content. Leaving me little time to do the AAMC tests.

My other option and the one I am thinking of doing is that I can start the AAMC tests this week and dedicate one day after each exam to just review a past topic or two I have trouble with. This way I can do AAMC 7 this week, AAMC 8 and AAMC 10 next week, then finish off with AAMC 11 a few days before my test. I'd spend the in between days going over the tests and going back to content "as needed", but I still need to fit time to memorize some key bio facts and physics equations. So the only content I'll be reviewing is what I see on the AAMC tests.

Is my plan okay? Should I be more thorough with reviewing/knowing the content or will it not benefit me much at this point?

Thanks very much, I'm just not precisely sure what the most effective approach would be for me at this point eg. content focus vs. practice test focus. I don't even know if I can be ready in such short time.
My Kaplan FL scores thus far have been
FL 1-25
FL 2-30
FL 3-29
FL 4-35

I'm happy to be seeing overall improvement in my scores, I'll have to try the AAMC tests to really see where I am, but I just don't know if I can be ready in just two weeks.
Thanks very much and I appreciate any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm taking it the same day and I'm doing one AAMC test every 2 days starting 3rd of August--1 day taking in AM, reviewing in PM; next day do practice problems on topics I missed any questions on. I had similar Kaplan scores as you (28-30). Don't be too discouraged by those scores..I know on here everyone says your scores go down on the 'real thing' (I've realized 90% of the kids on SDN are a bunch of %^&* neurotic perfectionists, and that's putting it kindly) but I had a friend who got 5pts higher on his real exam (41) , and almost everyone I've talked to in real life has had a similar experience, except one. It's all about the post-game of AAMCs.

I wouldn't consider that one outlying test an indication of improvement...it was only one test. I would continue to take more tests to see your overall trend.

You should have been doing AAMC tests way sooner. Kaplan scores (IME) are pretty inflated. I had lots of friends pulling 29-31 on AAMC 8-11 who were regularly 35+ing Kaplan tests. Take one of the more recent AAMCs, see what your score is.

Also: ignore everybody who tells you not to study the day before.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was sitting in my car, an hour before the real MCAT, studying (learning, not reviewing) some ochem which showed up on the real thing :D

Haha, I was doing the same thing. I had a bunch of obscure physics formulas down ... one of the first passages in was on the EXACT same topic ... only it gave me the formulas so it was a wash.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but how likely are we to improve within 2 weeks before the actual testing date? Let's say the starting score is in the low 20s.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but how likely are we to improve within 2 weeks before the actual testing date? Let's say the starting score is in the low 20s.

Going from low 20s to high 20s is possible in 2 weeks.. given you take enough practice exams to get a feel for the format / strategies of the test. To break a 30, however, requires a bit more work. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that you'll be looking at a pretty rough week ahead. Anyhow, don't worry about numbers now. Stay optimistic and study.

Last edited:
Going from low 20s to high 20s is possible in 2 weeks.. given you take enough practice exams to get a feel for the format / strategies of the test. To break a 30, however, requires a bit more work. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that you'll be looking at a pretty rough week ahead. Anyhow, don't worry about numbers now. Stay optimistic and study to.

Thanks. It's just that my last cancellation date is tomorrow 11:59 pm...so I guess I just want to see if there's a purpose in continuing to study.

Thanks. It's just that my last cancellation date is tomorrow 11:59 pm...so I guess I just want to see if there's a purpose in continuing to study.

it can be done...friend went from getting 29 on practice test to a 40 on real thing. stop worrying and just try your hardest so you can't look back at your prepping with regrets. best of luck

THanks for the advice everyone, and very much appreciate the encouragement Bumbl3b33 I thought I'd chime back in here with an update and hopefully get some added feedback.

I just took AAMC 7 30, 10 PS, 8 VR, 12 BS

After about three days of post phrasing and content review AAMC 8 30, 10 PS, 7 VR, 13 BS

I'm only one week away and have yet to break a 30, I'm really worried about these scores , specifically verbal, it's kicking my ***.

What confuses me is that I had been improving on my EK 101 passages and consistently score around 9 on the EK material. I even got a 12 on EK test 5. So it wasn't that I wasn't practicing it.

I'm going to finish up some small holes in science content today and tomorrow and then from Friday to Tuesday it'll just be full lengths and verbal, but I have no idea what's going on and why my AAMC verbal scores are lower than what I've been doing on practice materials. Any advice on what I should do?

I already post-phrase all my tests and try to understand my thought processes versus the solution for VR but it seems I just can't grasp the main ideas in the same way as the passage and I forget where to look for details which kills a lot of time.

Also: ignore everybody who tells you not to study the day before.

I went golfing the day before my exam. Probably the best MCAT study decision I ever made. I was exhausted after 18 holes in the sun and had no problem falling asleep that night.