Type of Publication vs. Name of Journal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marquis_Phoenix

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do admissions even care about the content of the publication or its type (as long as it is peer-reviewed)?

Say an editorial or case report to the NEJM, Nature, etc. is better than a primary or review article in some lesser journal.

Members don't see this ad.

This is just a somewhat-educated guess, but when you're applying to med school, I'd think that having any sort of publication is impressive, regardless of the journal that it made it into. Going into residency, however, I think you might be held to a higher standard.

I suppose you could always put the impact factor of the journal next to the publication.

I think they care about # author, impact factor, etc.

Plus they're sure to test you on the information by asking about your research.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is just a somewhat-educated guess, but when you're applying to med school, I'd think that having any sort of publication is impressive, regardless of the journal that it made it into. Going into residency, however, I think you might be held to a higher standard.
I would take that advice with a grain of salt. I cannot tell you how many "publications" I read that are not even remotely noteworthy and sometimes a rehash of someone elses work with a simple addition.

But then again, it could work to your advantage considering you have a "publication".

I suppose you could always put the impact factor of the journal next to the publication.

Doc, C'mon Man!

MEDIC!
MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDIC!!!

MMMMMDCCCC!

phd120808s.gif

I adore PhDcomics! But anyway, as other people have said, simply having a publication as an applicant is impressive, but be aware that anything you publish now will have your name on it forever. This means that you should only publish if you are convinced that your research is sound, your writing is good, etc. If you have a good paper, then just aim for the best journal for your topic. Many very specific research topics are better suited for lesser-known, tailored journals, than for lit powerhouses like Nature.

While medical schools will always be impressed if you publish something in Nature, the goal of your publication should be to build your reputation as a researcher, not to look good to a medical school. Aim for the journal that is the best for your topic and that will be best for you in the long run.