May 10, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
During an MMI interview day, will I at any point be asked the typical "Why medicine?" "Why this school?" "Tell me about yourself" questions?

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll senter of a tootsie pop?

And if you're unlucky,

What is the average flight velocity of an unladen swallow?
African or European?

About the Ads

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
During an MMI interview day, will I at any point be asked the typical "Why medicine?" "Why this school?" "Tell me about yourself" questions?
No, that will usually be in a one on a one interview. There is an MMI series on youtube (16 episodes from one medical school) that will give you a good feel for what goes on

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student

Lannister

5+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
Casterly Rock
Status
Medical Student
Very much depends on the school. But you should have an answer for these questions anyways since you'll almost certainly be asked all three in traditional interviews.

tiramisucheese

2+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Very much depends on the school. But you should have an answer for these questions anyways since you'll almost certainly be asked all three in traditional interviews.
FWIW, not a single school so far has asked the "tell me about yourself" question. However, I have gotten why medicine in all interviews except the MMI.

Edit: Was finally asked this, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Welshman

Isoval

I'm marginally higher on the totem pole.
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2017
Texas
Status
Medical Student
I was asked some of these at TCOM during my MMIs.

The questions were variations on the typical interview questions with a scenario-like spin.

About the Ads

aldol16

2+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Many MMI interviews incorporate a one-on-one station where it will be more like traditional interview style - just shorter. At one extreme of this is Michigan.

OP
E.Hemingway
May 10, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
An update, for those interested:

I had an MMI with about 10 stations and i got asked once “why medicine?” and a few times about my extracurriculars. Each station had an ethical question but some were short and the interviewers used the remaining time to ask typical interview questions.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
An update, for those interested:

I had an MMI with about 10 stations and i got asked once “why medicine?” and a few times about my extracurriculars. Each station had an ethical question but some were short and the interviewers used the remaining time to ask typical interview questions.
Thanks for the information. Seems like there is a great deal of variety in how the schools use the MMI, very interesting.

Reactions: E.Hemingway
Sep 4, 2017
Earth
Status
Medical Student
I think MMIs really suck. They give you complicated ambiguous prompts that don't allow you to make an informed comment, as there is always information missing that the interviewer also does not know.

You don't get enough time to thoroughly explain your answer and how it could be influenced by different elements that are left out of the question.

Often, the interviewer then spends additional time talking to you, making you late for the next section.

MMI seems to strongly favor extroverted personalities and doesn't show that a school actually cares about getting to know you. Schools with MMI have sunk to the bottom of my list on interview day because of that "we don't care about you" vibe that I tend to get.

DV-T

2+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I think MMIs really suck.
I admit that before the cycle, I totally agreed with this sentiment. "Give me the one-on-one," I shouted.

But positive results from the two schools that used MMI where I interviewed at converted me.

Crazy how success changes one's perspective. :confused:

Nov 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I admit that before the cycle, I totally agreed with this sentiment. "Give me the one-on-one," I shouted.

But positive results from the two schools that used MMI where I interviewed at converted me.

Just don't let it get to your head too much otherwise you will see MMI scenarios everywhere in your life!

Oct 4, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Sometimes MMIs will consist of impersonal and personal stations. For example, you might have 8 or 9 stations, and one or two of them COULD be open file. The prompt could be "tell us about a time you faced adversity", or "what is an achievement you're most proud of". I know at my MMI on top of those 8 or 9 personal + impersonal stations, we had like one station that was totally prompt-less and open, so the interviewer could ask any question he/she wanted. There, I definitely got asked "tell me about yourself".

Nov 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Sometimes MMIs will consist of impersonal and personal stations. For example, you might have 8 or 9 stations, and one or two of them COULD be open file. The prompt could be "tell us about a time you faced adversity", or "what is an achievement you're most proud of". I know at my MMI on top of those 8 or 9 personal + impersonal stations, we had like one station that was totally prompt-less and open, so the interviewer could ask any question he/she wanted. There, I definitely got asked "tell me about yourself".
Was the timing the same for the open section or was it slightly longer? Thx in advance.

Oct 4, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
The "the-personal-but-part-of-MMI-staion-with-prompt" are short and the same length as those that are impersonal. The open, prompt-less was twice as long (don't know if they have changed anything).

Apr 25, 2017

Funny how that happens. lol

kinglygrace

2+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Anything is fair game. In MMIs, I have come across the following: acting stations, ethical questions, traditional questions, non-ethical questions regarding healthcare, short essays, and questionnaires. You have to be prepared for anything.

seren1051

2+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2015
Status
Medical Student
acting stations, ethical questions, traditional questions, non-ethical questions regarding healthcare, short essays, and questionnaires
+ Teamwork, collaborative, drawing (wtf), puzzles (wtf)...I sincerely and passionately hate schools that make you do these

Master Thinker

2+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Someone I know was asked: "if everyone in the world dies but 3 people you choose to live, who would those 3 people be." Lol I don't even know how someone would answer a question like this....

HomeSkool

Excelsior! ASA Member!
Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2013
Floating in the ether
gas-words.blogspot.com
Status
Attending Physician
I will be thoroughly disappointed in anyone who doesn't get that reference. I'll send the rabbit after them.
Failing to know that reference should be an automatic disqualifier for med school. If an applicant hasn't seen that movie, then they must not have attended college and their academic credentials are therefore counterfeit.

About the Ads