U Can't Finish backed me into a corner... any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

n618ft

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got an MCAT scheduled for March 28th... 1 class left to finish my non-traditional post-bac prereq ordeal...Organic II w/ lab... unfortunately, due to their wise budget choices (waste money on everything but academics), the lab/lecture sequencing is stingy and I find myself in a situation where I can't take both lab and lecture next semester at a university. I registered for the lecture, but the labs I have to take at a CC that's an hour's drive... so I was thinking - is it even worth sticking around at a university for 1 last class?

My other option is just taking Organic II and labs at a CC down the street from my parent's place (only 23 - could be worse) and be done with it... only took 1 other class there - chem 2 (because labs were impossible to get into at UCF)... boohoo... 4.0 BCPM, 3.8 overall... here are the pros and cons I came up with for that situation - would greatly appreciate and respect some advice :)

Pros:

1. Would save about $1000 per month in living expenses - this is money that I'd invest in my business and save for traveling next summer... also, I've got a guaranteed job flight instructing where I can make my own schedule.
2. Would have more time (no commuting, less stuff to do around the house) to finish up my studying for the MCATs... also, my current roommate doesn't understand that D doesn't stand for diploma... I don't know what his deal is but he's a bit distracting.
3. More shadowing/volunteering opportunities that I'm familiar with back home... made some good connections w/ some of my students.
4. More airhead girls at CCs... smart ones give me headaches

Cons:

1. It's a CC... I teach myself everything in my classes anyway so the knowledge part would be there - but it would look a bit shady. I'm doing well in Organic I... most likely an A- as my final grade... so would they be understanding considering I'm non traditional and did well otherwise?

I plan on applying early next summer to somewhere - not sure where yet - but some of my overall top choices are UF, USF, Miami, FAU, LSU, Louisville... nothing really top tier...

Members don't see this ad.

Can't speak as a medical student, but as a pre-med student, it sounds alright to take the class at CC. ;)

I think it's reasonable that you could explain to the Adcom that there was a scheduling conflict.

That's what I was planning... scheduling conflict and dragging orgo 2 w/ lab over 2 semesters has a huge opportunity cost that's beyond finances... it's a giant waste of time being in Orlando right now... sort of a shady city too... would hate to be a cop here!

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll get different responses to this, depending on whether you post it here or in the non-trad boards. The majority of non-trads seem to be behind doing your pre-reqs at CC. Trads like to do as much of the work as they can at University.

I'm somewhere in the middle and my advisor just said not to "shop around" and take some courses at CC while taking others at University at the same time (i.e. physics at CC and Orgo at Uni). You're only doing this once and it's easily explained.