U Miami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalfielder

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does University of Miami have a good medical school? How about it's pre-med program. I have a spot for fall, and want to know whether its worth the extra 9000 a year over UF.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you going as a freshman in undergrad, or an MS1 in med school?

I'm going to be a freshman undergrad student. Sorry for any confusion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh OK. Generally, it's advised to go the cheaper route, as it's not going to make much of a difference in terms of med school admissions (especially in this case, as both are good and nearly equal schools in terms of the prestige factor).

I'd save the ~9K.

I got into both, but decided to go with UF. It really is more of a lifestyle choice because both schools have arguably the top 2 premed "programs" in the state. Gainesville will give you a traditional college experience with a small town feel while Miami will of course have more eye candy to look at due to the urban environment. I have friends at both schools who have had no problem getting into med school. I just chose to have less debt (which amounts to 36k for you I'm guessing). Hope this helps!

How are you paying for school? If your parents or relatives are paying and don't care about cost, I'd go to Miami based solely on location. If you are paying with loans and working, go to UF. At least you'll have great sports teams there!

Which university would you say has a more intellectual atmosphere? I am speaking in terms of people who are more academically inclined

Which university would you say has a more intellectual atmosphere? I am speaking in terms of people who are more academically inclined

Neither is Harvard. There will be *****s and there will be the intellectual crowd at any school you go to.

(sent from my phone)

Gainesville sucks. Miami is quite possibly the most fun city I've been too and I just moved there. Ridiculous...

Gainesville sucks. Miami is quite possibly the most fun city I've been too and I just moved there. Ridiculous...

True, but that might also lead to more distractions for a premed student. There are distractions everywhere, however.

Which university out of the two do you think offers more research opportunities for someone interested in chemistry and biocjemistry?

Members don't see this ad :)
Gainesville is the best. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. Visit both schools and make a decision.

Seriously, take the cheaper route. Both are considered great regional schools and neither will give you a sizeable advantage in terms of prestige, research opportunities, etc.

Gainesville is the best. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. Visit both schools and make a decision.

Really Gainesville over Miami?? Haha enjoy the beach in Gainesville...oh wait

save the 36k and buy a bad ass car to ensure maximum bitch bangability.

How can you buy a badass car with the 36k you are saving? It isn't as though the OP has that money laying around as disposable income...

I think he may be referring to the schools, not the cities haha.

But honestly, Gainesville is an amazing city in itself. It really depends what type of person you are and what you prefer in a city. I chose UF over UM because UF's campus is absolutely amazing with stunning facilities (science and non-science). It's in a vibrant community that doesn't feel too big and intimidating. That's not to say Miami is bad in anyway, just pointing out each individual has their own preference.

P.S. I totally hear you about the beach thing. But It's only 90 minutes away =)

UMiami has an early assurance program for their medical school I think, you apply after sophomore year. I interviewed for their BS/MD program and recall hearing about it. It totals 7 years if accepted too. Their med school is ranked ~50 and the UG is top 50 too if you place stock in rankings.

Good point. UF also has their Junior Honors Medical Program which is a 7 year BS/MD. Currently ranked as the 48th best research medical school (Miami is 53rd).

So as you can see, both schools have similar opportunities, prestige, and rank. OP, your decision will probably have to take into account other factors like finances, city preference, etc.

Good point. UF also has their Junior Honors Medical Program which is a 7 year BS/MD. Currently ranked as the 48th best research medical school (Miami is 53rd).

So as you can see, both schools have similar opportunities, prestige, and rank. OP, your decision will probably have to take into account other factors like finances, city preference, etc.

What ranking are these? If you say USNews you will be drawn and quartered...

They are but my point wasn't to say that one is better than the other. I know the MANY flaws of the ranking systems. Just pointing out how you can't go wrong with either choice.

I'm from Miami and UM is my favorite school. But, UF is a great school and the fact that they are so close is evident enough to end the hesitation. UM is ridiculously overpriced and the reason why I didn't go there.

You will have a great time in either place, both places love to take from their own school, and they have great reputations. You'll be fine either place, so I suggest going where it will be cheaper. Good luck.

It's probably worth noting that on top of tuition differences, cost of living is likely to be much cheaper in gainesville compared to miami.

^ I agree. You should start a poll...

305 carol city