U of A c/o 2026 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS Waitlisted

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Seems like quite a few people were pulled off the waitlist last year, some as soon as the decision deadline. Fingers crossed for everyone!!!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys know when the decision deadline is this year? Is it still April 15th?

Reactions: 1 user
*waitlist email received*
Just joined this forum today, a friend of mine sent the link to me so I could have a group to commiserate with. I wish I had found this sooner!

Reactions: 1 users
My heart dropped where the email starts reading “It is with regret…..” then proceeds with the HOWEVER lmfaooo

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS waitlisted! Hoping that the waitlist moves and we get updates soon, I'm beyond grateful to still be considered but also super stressed by the thought of not hearing anything until July and then having to be moved in by August.

OOS Acceptance . Got a call 2 hours ago that I got off the wait list. Sending good lucks to everyone on the list.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Yea it’s still April 15, so this week.
I heard it was moved to Monday because the 15th falls on a weekend. I think the 17th is when we may start to hear about waitlist movement. I don't know for sure, just thought I had heard that at some point.

• Care
Okay guys so I contacted admissions today to gather some information and so far the class has been filled. They have a waitlist of 100 applicants split 50/50 between IS and OOS. Today is indeed the decision deadline so hopefully some more seats become available throughout the week. Hopefully this helps! Stay hopeful everyone!

*Additionally*
If you are offered a seat from the wait list, you have 5 days from the offer date to pay your seat deposit!

Last edited:
Okay guys so I contacted admissions today to gather some information and so far the class has been filled. They have a waitlist of 100 applicants split 50/50 between IS and OOS. Today is indeed the decision deadline so hopefully some more seats become available throughout the week. Hopefully this helps! Stay hopeful everyone!

*Additionally*
If you are offered a seat from the wait list, you have 5 days from the offer date to pay your seat deposit!
Do you know how much the wait-list moved last year?

Do you know how much the wait-list moved last year?
One of my friends who’s a 1st year this year said it moved quite a bit last year. It varies year to year honestly. Just hoping for the best. In the meantime try focusing your attention on other things just to lessen the anxiety.

And guys I can’t stress this enough, U of A does NOT accept any Letters of Intent or Updates so definitely refrain from submitting those to admissions. Won’t be a great look and from what I’ve learned it can do harm rather than good. I know it’s stressful but hang in there guys!

Not sure what this means, but today they emailed me asking if I would like my application to be re-reviewed!! I was declined 4/10 so it’s a great feeling knowing that they’ll take another look! Has anyone else been through this?

Does anyone know if they cut the wait-list down after a point? It seems like in previous years they have informed people on the wait-list that they are being denied fairly soon after the decision date so people aren't waiting on something that probably won't happen for them. Is this something they are going to do this year?

Does anyone know if they cut the wait-list down after a point? It seems like in previous years they have informed people on the wait-list that they are being denied fairly soon after the decision date so people aren't waiting on something that probably won't happen for them. Is this something they are going to do this year?
Hmmm that’s odd. I’ve never heard of anyone receiving a denial notification after they’ve been waitlisted. Usually admissions decisions are final after the decision date so if anyone on the waitlist doesn’t receive an offer I think they just won’t be notified at all.

Hmmm that’s odd. I’ve never heard of anyone receiving a denial notification after they’ve been waitlisted. Usually admissions decisions are final after the decision date so if anyone on the waitlist doesn’t receive an offer I think they just won’t be notified at all.
I saw in last year's discussion what looked like people getting notified of no longer being on the wait-list? Maybe I read it wrong. But it seemed like they were told by the university.

Not sure what this means, but today they emailed me asking if I would like my application to be re-reviewed!! I was declined 4/10 so it’s a great feeling knowing that they’ll take another look! Has anyone else been through this?
I got the same email!!! Heres to hoping for some good news

• Care
I feel like it will be delayed as people get into other schools and have a couple days to decide.

Has anyone requested a file review from admissions? I don't know if U of A does that for waitlisted/rejected applicants.

Has anyone requested a file review from admissions? I don't know if U of A does that for waitlisted/rejected applicants.
I asked and was told they don’t offer application reviews for waitlisted students. If you don’t move forward from the waitlist then you can reach out to them to schedule an application review.

I feel like I’m at a huge stand still with life right now. Like we haven’t been accepted or rejected and it’s tough depending on a waitlist move. I’m too afraid August will come and their waitlist may or may not move and with the VMCAS deadline being in September it will really help if they offered waitlisters an application review to at least start preparing to reapply for this new cycle! Anyone else feeling this way?

I feel like I’m at a huge stand still with life right now. Like we haven’t been accepted or rejected and it’s tough depending on a waitlist move. I’m too afraid August will come and their waitlist may or may not move and with the VMCAS deadline being in September it will really help if they offered waitlisters an application review to at least start preparing to reapply for this new cycle! Anyone else feeling this way?

Totally. I’m trying to have hope but can’t help but feel a little discouraged as well. I started working on my application again for if I don’t get in. I just wish I knew where I stood on the list so I knew if there was any slight chance I could get in.

• Care
Definitely agree. I am going to attend their vet cat application academy and see if I can gather any knowledge for the next application cycle since it seems we won’t get an application review if we are on the waitlist. For now I’ll just keep trying to log experiences I can fit into my schedule and think of how I can beef up that app for this round! But would definitely rather just get that call that says YOU’RE IN! 😊

• Care
I feel the same! Tomorrow I am planning on starting the process again for next year. Since we don't have to have it all sent in until September, I can comfortably get it ready and then wait until after August 18 to send it.

• Care
Did anyone here attend the VetCat Applicant Academy? If so, what were some things you learned and picked up from the workshop?

Did anyone here attend the VetCat Applicant Academy? If so, what were some things you learned and picked up from the workshop?

They are reposting the recording on the CVM website in the coming weeks!

Some of the information was redundant if you have attended any of their other info sessions. However, it was very helpful to hear directly from the admissions board on certain things and very exciting to meet some of our future instructors! They gave good advice on who to get your letters of Rec from- individuals who can speak to your character because they know you very well. If you have a letter of rec from a DVM but that person doesn't have a lot of personal experience with you it can actually look worse than having a strong letter from a vet tech or other type of employer/mentor. Obv no letters from family or family friends, even if they were your employer. The more professional the letter, the better (official letterhead, etc.)
For personal statements they really encouraged focusing on a particular experience that made a big impact on you and your desire to become a veterinarian. They emphasized showing your characteristics rather than just telling about them. They explained the mechanics of the MMI and secondary interviews and suggested that they may be holding mock interview workshops in the future. They also gave good feedback on where to explain parts of your application like a bad grade or gap in employment. Personally I did not know you could do this, so it's something I'll be using when I reapply.
There were lots of other good nuggets of info that may apply more to others than it did for me. If you plan on applying again I think it's a good resource for inspiration to improve on the next application cycle. :)

Some of the information was redundant if you have attended any of their other info sessions. However, it was very helpful to hear directly from the admissions board on certain things and very exciting to meet some of our future instructors! They gave good advice on who to get your letters of Rec from- individuals who can speak to your character because they know you very well. If you have a letter of rec from a DVM but that person doesn't have a lot of personal experience with you it can actually look worse than having a strong letter from a vet tech or other type of employer/mentor. Obv no letters from family or family friends, even if they were your employer. The more professional the letter, the better (official letterhead, etc.)
For personal statements they really encouraged focusing on a particular experience that made a big impact on you and your desire to become a veterinarian. They emphasized showing your characteristics rather than just telling about them. They explained the mechanics of the MMI and secondary interviews and suggested that they may be holding mock interview workshops in the future. They also gave good feedback on where to explain parts of your application like a bad grade or gap in employment. Personally I did not know you could do this, so it's something I'll be using when I reapply.
There were lots of other good nuggets of info that may apply more to others than it did for me. If you plan on applying again I think it's a good resource for inspiration to improve on the next application cycle. :)
What was their feedback on where to explain bad grades or gaps in employment? The explanation statement or other sections as well? Curious to know as it would probably help other future applicants :)

What was their feedback on where to explain bad grades or gaps in employment? The explanation statement or other sections as well? Curious to know as it would probably help other future applicants :)
It's on the VMCAS portion of the application. Under the Personal Information section, there is an area to enter an explanation statement at the end under "other information" - up to 3000 characters.

Has anyone thought about calling and asking what the wait-list movement has been like this year? I am just anxious and want to know, but if someone has already asked then I won't.

Has anyone thought about calling and asking what the wait-list movement has been like this year? I am just anxious and want to know, but if someone has already asked then I won't.

I totally feel you. I feel impatient as well. I personally would not call as I heard that it would not help and that they don’t like getting phone calls about the list

Best thing to do is just continue to wait it out. I’ve began to move as if I’ve been rejected and haven’t thought about the waitlist at all, although I’m still hoping there will be movement. Matriculation begins in July for all accepted students so hopefully from that time to August there will some movement.

Best thing to do is just continue to wait it out. I’ve began to move as if I’ve been rejected and haven’t thought about the waitlist at all, although I’m still hoping there will be movement. Matriculation begins in July for all accepted students so hopefully from that time to August there will some movement.

That’s what I’ve been hoping too. But I have also started the application again and really wish to get in this year because I now remember how much the application sucks lol