1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

U. of California Med schools

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Papi, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Papi

Papi Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi Everyone,

I would love to attend any school in California. However, I am out of state (in fact I'm on the other side of the nation!). Anyways, i was wondering how much of a disadvantage it is to be out of state? if there are any out of staters who got in, could you please list your stats? Thanks a bunch.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Kazzar

Kazzar Psychiatrist
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You are at a big disadvantage for all the California schools with the exception of Stanford and Loma Linda. Even USC gives priorty to people in So Cal (at least from their acceptance stats - maybe they just get more CA applicants). The UCs are a bitch to get into and you pay much more tuition. You have a better chance getting into the top 10 than say UC Irvine. So I heard...

4. geneman

geneman The Transgenic Hobo
    7+ Year Member

What about UCSF? It seems it is about equally hard to get into there than any other top 10.

5. vmn2

vmn2 Member
    10+ Year Member

Papi,

It is not impossible...I am coming from Indiana and I got into 3 UC schools (SF,LA,SD) but all for MD/PhD (I don't think they look at residency reqs as much). Even for MD though, you still have a shot. UCLA, in fact, states on their admissions webpage:

Residence: No preference is given to state of residence. However many applicants come from California. Acceptees from California are more likely to matriculate at UCLA. Out of 145 freshman, 85 percent were from California.

I know UCSF takes 20% of their class from out of state, so it is definitely tougher than if you were in state but at least it is not 0%. UCSD, on the other hand, takes almost no one from out of state (check out MSAR) unless you're applying MD/PhD. I don't know about the other CA schools. If you have relatively high stats then go for it...I'm definitely stoked about going to Cali next year. Good luck!

vmn2

6. Mr.D

Mr.D insipidus maximus
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    UCD and UCI don't take any (according to 02-03 MSAR) out of staters, but UCLA and UCSF do (about 20-25% each). UCSD took a very few (less than 5 students I believe). Of course keep in mind that there are MD/PhD students mixed in those bunches. The UCs do not officially say they don't like out of state students, but in reality they DO FAVOR California students since they are public schools. Nonetheless, If you have strong stats and an inexorable ambition to attend a UC, I would definitely say to apply to UCLA and UCSF and give it a try. Good luck. :cool:

7. Nuclearrabbit

Nuclearrabbit Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Kazzar:
    <strong>You are at a big disadvantage for all the California schools with the exception of Stanford and Loma Linda. Even USC gives priorty to people in So Cal (at least from their acceptance stats - maybe they just get more CA applicants). The UCs are a bitch to get into and you pay much more tuition. You have a better chance getting into the top 10 than say UC Irvine. So I heard...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">thats only true because uci takes all instate except for MSTP. it isn't even close to being a top 10.

8. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    MY roommate is and MD/PHD here at UCLA. Got a 41 MCAT, 3.91 GPA oin a triple major at SUNY Bufflo. He didn't even get a secondary from UCI.
    My suggestion, become a seventh day adventist.

9. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

If you have good stats and ec's, you might as well apply to UCLA and UCSF. It's pretty much a waste to apply to other UC's as a non-CA resident in my opinion.

10. Patiently Waiting

Patiently Waiting Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes, I know a few who're pursuing just an MD at UCSF...from what I hear,they're one amazing bunch. If you have a strong interest in research, your best bet to get into UCs would be applying for MD/Ph.D programs since your residency is NOT part of the screening factors.

11. Vader

Vader Dark Lord of the Sith
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Patiently Waiting:
    <strong>Yes, I know a few who're pursuing just an MD at UCSF...from what I hear,they're one amazing bunch. If you have a strong interest in research, your best bet to get into UCs would be applying for MD/Ph.D programs since your residency is NOT part of the screening factors.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Statistically speaking, at UCSF you probably have less of a chance of getting admitted as an out-of-stater by applying MD/PhD versus MD. Admissions for the MSTP here is highly competitive. I would advise applying for the MSTP only if you have a strong committment to research. I agree with what you are saying, but I'm just pointing this out so that applicants aren't misled into think MD/PhD is a "backdoor" route to out-of-state admissions. :D

12. Patiently Waiting

Patiently Waiting Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

A good point Vader. Thanks for the clarification. MSTPs would work if you have a tangible evidence that shows a committment to research in addn to having superb GPA and MCAT score. Although the residency is not a factor, you would be facing a fierce competition with other super MSTP candidates.

13. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

UCI has an MSTP as well...and they may be residency blind for the admission process, but the out of staters don't seem to matriculate to the program.