U of Michigan vs. U of Colorado? Anyone knows these schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helloinsoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDNers, There are not many information here, I decide to post this thread here. I would greatly appreciate for your help! This can help other people in the future. I love SDN!

I am debating between the two schools. Can anyone give answers for the following questions and personal opinion if you have? FYI, I am OOS for both and the money is almost the same ($30,000 more for Michigan total for 4 years), so I want to take the money factor out to decide my school. I found this interesting question lists that is helpful to decide schools somewhere in SDN. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=401980
But I chose some of them only and add a few questions that I mostly care now.

Especially, I really care how students of each school study and make their lecture notes for their exam. Since I am a horrible note taker (I came from South Korea 3 yrs ago, so I can't type or write that fast in English), I don't want to spend time and mental energy on taking a note instead of concentrating on lectures.

I found that some schools have a really good system for people someone like me. For example, U of Maryland, they upload every materials on-line, so there aren't many reason to make their own lecture note for exam because they just use well made lecture materials that are available school's on-line system. Attendance is not even mandatory because they can watch their lecture anywhere Internet available due to their system. I prefer to go to class but also I love this system as a family man.

Can you guys give any answers for all or some of the list below and provide your personal insight towards each school? Thank you very much your help that you can give.

1. What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?
2. Are class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture PowerPoint made up by professors?
3. If the answer "PowerPoint" for question #2, is it necessary to make extra notes for the exam or PPT itself is enough to prepare the exam?
4. Does school record lectures for students?
5. Are traditional (paper) textbooks used or are they electronic? If electronic, do you prefer traditional textbooks?
6. Is there a note taking service for lecture available?
7. Is class attendance mandatory?
8. What types of opportunities do students have to explore different specialties?
9. Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in (this is for U of M)? I know U of Colorado is stronger than Michigan for this due to the location.
10. What do you not like about your dental school?
11. Pleas provide your personal insight (or experience if you go or went to the schools) towards each school.
12. What school you would choose and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi helloinsoo! I think this post would probably get you more replies on the Dental forum instead of pre-dent :). Here is the link: Dental Forums. Good luck!

Hi helloinsoo! I think this post would probably get you more replies on the Dental forum instead of pre-dent :). Here is the link: Dental Forums. Good luck!
Thank you fayevalentine! I post this thread in Dental Forums too just now. I don't expect someone will answer all the questions that I listed.
However, I beleve there are some pre-denatal stuedents who are very knowledgeable about these two schools, so then are able to answer some of the questions. And I found there are little information about these two school in predental forum, so I think it will help future predents if they read this here.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
got your pm insoo...and yeah, we did interview same day. can't really offer much beyond what we learned during our visit. umich is pretty dialed in with the tech and they seem highly invested in moving it forward with the curriculum.

knew you got into 'rado but had no idea you also landed a michigan offer. congrats. high quality problem. me? i'd go with colorado.

the climbing's better up there.

got your pm insoo...and yeah, we did interview same day. can't really offer much beyond what we learned during our visit. umich is pretty dialed in with the tech and they seem highly invested in moving it forward with the curriculum.

knew you got into 'rado but had no idea you also landed a michigan offer. congrats. high quality problem. me? i'd go with colorado.

the climbing's better up there.

Thank you Ferneezy! You're correct. I haven't got an offer from Mich yet, but got waitlisted. I believe U of M haven't made any announcement for the next around admission since they decided the wait-lists. As I don't have time to search all information within the non-deposit decision time, I am trying to know about each school as much as I can ahead of the final offer from Mich. Maybe U of M won't give an admission to me forever, then the problem would be very simple. :) I appreciate your response! Good luck to you too!

Last edited: