Quantcast

U. of Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r2thekesh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I wish I had looked at their secondary before designating. They have 3 essays (1 for reapplicants, one for everyone, and a third if you withdrew/failed a course). The one for everyone is so broad! I wouldn't have applied if I had seen that beforehand.

Jungerr

Reaction score
n evaluating an applicant's potential contribution to diversity, the DDS Admissions Committee considers the following factors: geographic diversity (e.g. rural), first generation college student, financial need, disadvantaged educational background, racial and ethnic diversity, evidence of outstanding leadership, special talents, high academic potential, unique work or service experience, community involvement, experience and/or interest in research or teaching, and interest in providing dental services to underserved areas. The School of Dentistry is committed to enrolling and graduating a diverse student body of thought, interest, background, and intellect. Diversity enhances the educational experience of all students and better prepares our graduates to practice dentistry in today's world. If accepted into the DDS program, how will you contribute to the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry and to the profession of dentistry? Please also include your contribution to diversity in this essay and be sure to cite important points from your experiences. Please limit your comments to 6000 characters.

and also experiences and activities section:

Please comment on lessons learned and how these experiences influenced your decision to pursue a career in dentistry. Limit of 6000 characters.

PointEstimate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wish I had looked at their secondary before designating. They have 3 essays (1 for reapplicants, one for everyone, and a third if you withdrew/failed a course). The one for everyone is so broad! I wouldn't have applied if I had seen that beforehand.

Sort of seems like a small price to pay to get into the University of Minnesota and it sort of seems like a reasonable question for the admissions committee to ask.

Muggs

Reaction score
Sort of seems like a small price to pay to get into the University of Minnesota and it sort of seems like a reasonable question for the admissions committee to ask.

I agree. It seems like their questions are giving the student the opportunity to be looked at more holistically. Also, just because the limit is 6000 characters doesn't mean you have to write that much.

ktran17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Actually there is one more, the "orientation to dentistry essay"

Sorry for being the bearer of bad news..

It took me about 2 weeks to complete the app hahaha :D

NDPitch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It took me a long time to do the application, too. Pretty gruesome. I got offered an interview, though. So I guess it paid off.