U of Pitt??? Anyone to put in their 2 cents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Loki2

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm considering going to Pitt, but don't know ALL that much about their rep. But when I interviewed I was very impressed with their program and attitude. Does anyone know anything about their program or reputation, or anyone else going in the fall???

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly don't no much about their dental program, but I know their rep in the medical sciences is stellar, definitely one of the elite centers in the country....Bush was just there (at UPMC) the other day regarding the threat of bioterrorism...Pitt is one of the leaders in that field.

here's my two cents. I got into UPITT as well and in the same boat as you. First, here's what I personally LOVED about the school: They pride themselves on their hospitality, and having a "close knit", "family-like" atmosphere. THe administration really makes an effort to service the students needs and are very attentive, they really try to make UPITT a "home away from home" the best they can. The office of student affairs came off really gracious and accomodating (they helped me find a student host--a very insightful experience-- that would house me and show the sights of Pittsburgh during my interview there, thus I paid nothing for hotels, taxi, tours, etc... just food ofcourse. No other school I interviewed at did this) For christmas, Dr. Whitehead - director of admissions i believe, sent me a christmas card, although I'm sure everyone who was accepted at that time got one. Also, although its a state school, they tend to have around 50percent of each class from out of state. Buying a house is really affordable in Pittsburgh, thus it is not uncommon for out of staters to buy a house, and declare residency status to get the cheaper tuition. The housing office will try to help you out the best they can. The students were really friendly and raved about the "family-ness" between students, as well as between students and faculty. They have a lot of student organizations available (community service, dental frats, etc). The facilities were really nice, and the class of fall 2002 will be able to work with newly built pre-clinic/simulation labs, etc. Graduation requirements are easy to fulfill, and securing a workspace in the clinic is not a problem like at some schools, there is a chair for every student in the clinic. Now, all these may seem feeble reasons to go there, or petty attempts to lure you into their school, but I really am inclined to say that if you want to escape the competitive cut throat environment, and feel like your part of a "dental family" from a school who treats their students like "dentists and colleages" and not like little annoying ants, UPITT rocks.

ON THE OTHER HAND, I've been to other interviews at other schools, and realized that UPITT did not have too much to boast about academically compared to others. They're not the most highly regarded dental research school. Students there I believe do alright in terms of passing the boards, but do not score as high on average as other schools. I believe I've seen higher passing rates at other schools I've been to (may indicate the students desire to just be able to "get by" and pass, rather than gunning it for the NB part 1, thereby pursing general practices rather than specialties).
Thus if you rely on dental school "statistics" (boards pass rates, percentage of class that scores 90percentile and above, specialty placement and the percentage of students who receive their top pick of specialty, etc), UPITT is average, but there are more notable schools out there. UPITT is a distinguished dental program, but not exactly a "top tier" such as harvard, uconn, ucsf, ucla, columbia, upenn, umich, unc, etc. But if you want a relatively relaxed, less stressful, close knit feel in dental school, UPITT ranks high up there. Plus, I like the city of Pittsburgh, seemed like there was a lot of leisurely things to do. Also, if you're a big fan of PBL, go there.

Overall, at UPITT you'll get a quality dental education (above average) from an accredited and nationally distinguished school with great opportunities in research, clinic, community service, as well as a close knit family atmosphere. It may not have the reputation, but it will get the job done, as long as you're willing to put in the effort.....in my opinion.

Hey thanks for all ur info regarding UPitt, I am going there for an interview on the 18th of Feb, and I would love to see their program, and may be even be a part of it.