U of T Pharmacy 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations CuteKitty :D
For regular residence, I suspect there would be a massive wait list because direct-entry students confirmed their offers in May. There are only 6 spots in the grad house for pharmacy students, so I decided on Primrose hotel residence program.
If you don't mind me asking, how did you average 91GPA? I though A+ was a 90

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations CuteKitty :D
For regular residence, I suspect there would be a massive wait list because direct-entry students confirmed their offers in May. There are only 6 spots in the grad house for pharmacy students, so I decided on Primrose hotel residence program.
If you don't mind me asking, how did you average 91GPA? I though A+ was a 90

Hello Cheesecake,
At Guelph University our gpa is just the numerical average of our grades ( we don't use the 4.0 scale or the F -> A+ scale) . Sorry to confuse you! What is the primrose hotel residence program? that sounds interesting!
just found the site for the hotel residence program! looks really nice but may be too expensive for me! I may have to settle for commutting over an hour everyday :(

And to byork- thanks for the link!! this looks cool! is this what you are planning to do next year?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
hey,

i got accepted to both waterloo and uoft too..now i gotta decide:(, but somewhat leaning towards uoft. Does anyone know if you can take courses outside the pharmacy curriculum during the academic year like math/physics? (I'm just missing a few classes to get my degree) anddd hows the lecture format? audio lectures?posted powerpoint notes?

thanksss

My guess is that interview was worth very little for this academic cycle.
Yes, there were people who got rejected with solid GPA and PCAT scores, but not many. I'm guessing there were also people with excellent interviews who got rejected because of their GPA/PCAT.
This is the first year they implemented MMI and from what I got the feeling that this year's interview was more of a diagnostic one for future years. They stated they will use our interview scores with other admission index and performance in pharmacy school to study how reliable the interview is in judging applicants. for this study to be successful, there needs to be students who did poorly on their interviews to compare with ones who did well. Also, I'm guessing the faculty didn't know what to expect since this was the first year so my guess is that they put little weighting on the interview this year.
My guess is that like GPA and PCAT, there was a cutoff for the interview, and the weightings after the cutoff were 50% GPA, 30% PCAT, 20% interview.

Logic tells me that what you are saying is convincing..but as one of the people who got rejected with solid GPA and PCAT score, I have a hard time, emotionally, accepting the idea that interview doesn't worth much this year...:cry:

I was lurking the boards and felt compelled to reply to this (as you can see, I've just made an account).

I think you really need to take a step back and consider why you are applying for pharmacy. If it's really what you want to do, that's great! Get back in it. You probably don't need to rewrite the PCAT, so focus more on your interview. Universities hold mock MMIs, which might be of use. You could also book an appointment with a career counsellor to practice your interviewing skills. You can even practice interviewing with friends or family. Most importantly, don't quit.

And if pharmacy isn't for you, that's totally okay! Even if you have no idea where you want to go from here. Keep an open mind and try everything.

It's confidence that I am lacking at the moment. Unlike GPA or PCAT, there is no way that I would know how my so-called "interview skill" is before that deciding day. The only thing people can do was to practice, and yet I practiced (as anyone else all would) and yet I failed. I can now only aasume that it was insufficient.

Do I still want to do pharmacy? Well, I went to work in the drug store yesterday with a borken heart, but the environment and work still feels great, so I suppose I still want pharmacy...

Logic tells me that what you are saying is convincing..but as one of the people who got rejected with solid GPA and PCAT score, I have a hard time, emotionally, accepting the idea that interview doesn't worth much this year...:cry:

I think the interview is worth quite a bit. I mean I have a pretty low GPA like mid 70's, good PCAT I guess, but I am sure it was the interview that made up for my low GPA.

thanks for the link...Like I mentioned before I'm from BC so chances are I won't be able to scope out areas beforehand..I Find that getting your own place out there is really expensive but if a bunch of us (or even a couple of us) get together to live somewhere then the renting will be more affordable option. Anyone else in?

I can be in depending on pricing ! Still trying to see what I can afford! :)

Whats the facebook group called?

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=133260153364700

cutekitty said:
And to byork- thanks for the link!! this looks cool! is this what you are planning to do next year?

Nope, but I know people who lived there. The rent isn't bad either and its really close to campus.

Personally, I've got a relative who I can live with. Otherwise, I'd be in the coop.

By the way, you're from U of G? What year/program did you come from?

I just finished 3rd year biomed.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=133260153364700

Nope, but I know people who lived there. The rent isn't bad either and its really close to campus.

Personally, I've got a relative who I can live with. Otherwise, I'd be in the coop.

By the way, you're from U of G? What year/program did you come from?

I just finished 3rd year biomed.
no way that's awesome! I was on FRT so I knew tons of biomeds in third year! I was in management Econ with a bio sci minor! The rent in Toronto is going to be a lot more than it was in Guelph! :( lol

Yup, the rent and tuition are much higher :(

But I don't think the coop rent is that high. It's subsidized. I hope for you that they're still accepting students.

Here's another website but I think you need a U of T login to access the directory. http://www.housing.utoronto.ca/student/index.aspx

And there's always the facebook group too, lol...

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone

i tried faxing the acceptance thing over but it kept being rejected on friday.i think they closed everything down for g20. anywhooo.. i emailed them twice.. how can i know they have received my acceptance... should i call them or fax them again... ill try the fax thing on tuesday

hey everyone

i tried faxing the acceptance thing over but it kept being rejected on friday.i think they closed everything down for g20. anywhooo.. i emailed them twice.. how can i know they have received my acceptance... should i call them or fax them again... ill try the fax thing on tuesday

Don't worry... You have two weeks to accept it.

I scanned and e-mailed it to them. Hopefully that works. I want to get my e-mail, student ID card, etc... ASAP lol

think i read in the acceptance letter that your status should be automatically updated on the application website within two business days after mailing your letter..?

I'm gonna fax my acceptance tomorrow. I'm still in shock...but I'm super excited for phrosh week. I can't wait to meet you all! :)

Do you guys think they care that I e-mailed a jpeg?

quick question.....
for the next admission cycle...do you guys expect the cgpa to go down and the pcat to go up...im saying this because U o T is incorporating harder courses next cycle...im expecting the cgpa to go down and the Pcat to go up...what do you guys think?

quick question.....
for the next admission cycle...do you guys expect the cgpa to go down and the pcat to go up...im saying this because U o T is incorporating harder courses next cycle...im expecting the cgpa to go down and the Pcat to go up...what do you guys think?

The same. THe courses are not that hard, where it'slike impossible, you just need to put effort into it. Ive taken all those courses already. Anywayz if your serious about getting into professional schools (not only for pharmacy but for anything), people tend to have a threshold and no matter what course it is they dont let it fall below it. You just need put more effort into gettin the same mark than lets say a bird course.

hey everyone

yea they said under pharmsis under notifications within 2 days you will see a confirmation that they have received it :p. I'm going to hand it in person haha cuz i always psyche myself out going "what happnes if it didnt get thorugh" etc etc. Silly me

They'll revoke your acceptance. PNG ftw.

Oh no. You're right. The compression artifacts!

But actually I meant in place of a fax. (My fax is broken.)

I hope they don't get anal about it.

Oh no. You're right. The compression artifacts!

But actually I meant in place of a fax. (My fax is broken.)

I hope they don't get anal about it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounded like they wanted the acceptances faxed, mailed or delivered personally.

I'm gonna fax my acceptance tomorrow. I'm still in shock...but I'm super excited for :lol:phrosh week. I can't wait to meet you all! :)

I am faxing my acceptance today at 9:30 am. I am still so exited and I can't wait to meet all of you.:lol:

hmm... I faxed mine friday afternoon at a copy centre and it seemed to have gone through. It better have cuz I paid for it lol
I'll have to keep checking my notifications

Any pharmacology students trying to get PCL course exempts here? for you guys, I took PCL201 and PCL302 but apparently you can't get the exempts without having taken PCL470Y?? .... :confused:that is bogus lol. I'll have to ask admin about that

hey everyone

My fax went through.:)

still waiting to hear from other schools before i fax it in

Wow, that was fast! They acknowledged my acceptance I sent thru fax this morning!

thanks for the link...Like I mentioned before I'm from BC so chances are I won't be able to scope out areas beforehand..I Find that getting your own place out there is really expensive but if a bunch of us (or even a couple of us) get together to live somewhere then the renting will be more affordable option. Anyone else in?

Sure ;] I've started looking for places already, but I've never lived away from home... It would be nice to live with a bunch of you guys since we have all our classes together anyway ;]

hi guys
congrats on your acceptances !

I am just curious..
did anybody here get in without carrying a full-course-load ever before?
they said that it might be disadvantageous, but not a must.

Anyone?

Did you get your student ID?

I'm already a UofT student and it's the same. I think non-UofT students get them (T-card and student number) after July 9. I remember reading that somewhere.

I read July 23 on the acceptance letter info... :s I submitted OSAP without specifying the student number because I wasn't sure if I was going to get it in time... I hope that doesn't affect anything. ._.

I thought it said it could be before July 23.

I was hoping they give it to you on that website when they acknowledge your acceptance.

I want it so I can do important things like get my login. theres a few sites I want to go to and it won't let me in.

I thought it said it could be before July 23.

I was hoping they give it to you on that website when they acknowledge your acceptance.

I want it so I can do important things like get my login. theres a few sites I want to go to and it won't let me in.

which sites ?

For one, I want to see if the list of work study jobs for September is posted.

:)

Congratulations, Kalium
You will get a ticket to the world of UofT Pharmacy on June 2?, 2010.
UofT will be closed on June 25,2010 due to G20 summits :D
Pilot study admission project will be updated if we get more data points:)
You were absolutely right! I guess the interview was "good enough". Now I have to find a fax machine.

Congratulations to everyone who got in.

stats: GPA 85, PCAT 97

And to access the student housing site... I was hoping to go in person to drop off my acceptance and OSAP at the same time, but the g20 thing...

hey everyone! im faxing my acceptance tomorrow in the morning.

now when applying for osap how much are we allowed to work during the fall and winter terms without it affecting our money? are we allowed to start working after we get our osap andjust declare that for next year or do we have to declare it right away???

any info is awesome

looking forward to meeting all of you.. :D

hey everyone! im faxing my acceptance tomorrow in the morning.

now when applying for osap how much are we allowed to work during the fall and winter terms without it affecting our money? are we allowed to start working after we get our osap andjust declare that for next year or do we have to declare it right away???

any info is awesome

looking forward to meeting all of you.. :D

It's $2500 a summer before it affects your loan.

I think OSAP is absolutely ******ed however. Tuition is $13k and it will only give me the same amount it gave me when tuition was $6k. But that was only my online OSAP estimate. I hope that the real OSAP released reflects the ridiculous tuition, but I doubt it. Look like I'll have to take a Scotiabank line of credit.

I believe the OSAP website states that you have to make changes to your application ASAP when something changes. I am pretty sure any money you earn affects your OSAP funding. OSAP compares your finances and your costs (costs of pharmacy= :scared:). I took a job tutoring little kids so it doesn't affect my OSAP :)

Btw, can people other than Koreans introduce themselves in a thread for facebook group? Its not that I dislike Koreans by any means, but the thread was for all Toronto pharmies of 2014 :D

Hey! I've been doing my research on Lines of Credit, and so far from what I've found National Bank takes top spot. They offer 30,000$ up to 120,000/4 yrs. with an interest rate of only prime.
I did my OSAP estimate and got 12,000. Does anyone know if the estimate is pretty close to what is really given.
Getting very excited for next year, and can't wait to meet you all!

Hey! I've been doing my research on Lines of Credit, and so far from what I've found National Bank takes top spot. They offer 30,000$ up to 120,000/4 yrs. with an interest rate of only prime.
I did my OSAP estimate and got 12,000. Does anyone know if the estimate is pretty close to what is really given.
Getting very excited for next year, and can't wait to meet you all!

Oh my... $12,000? I'm in deep financial need and I only got $7500. I take it you live more than 40km from U of T? I seriously hope they give me more than the online estimate.

Also, Wow. National Bank is pretty good. Even better than OSAP. (Federal loans are prime +1, provincial are prime +2). Maybe you should save your OSAP money, put it into a bond or something with interest greater than 2.5% (prime). Only use the National Bank loan to pay for tuition and eat the monthly interest payments. Once you graduate, pay back your OSAP loans (there's no interest until you graduate) and then you can pay off your student loans at prime instead of prime +1 and +2. I bet you the interest from investing the OSAP in bonds will cover the monthly payments on your prime + 0 bank loan and you'll just be better off. I really hope that it's true that you can get prime + 0. Do I trust the website? lol... maybe it's out of date.

The thing is, U of T is supposed to negotiate loans with Scotiabank though. But I think their rate is also prime + 2. I wonder if you could go to National Bank, get their quote. Then take it to Scotiabank and convince them to adjust the rate on a U of T Scotiabank loan. I only say this because U of T will pay your interest until you graduate if you use their negotiated loan.

Last edited:
Yea I live in Windsor so definitely more than 40 km away. I am going to go scope out all the banks within the next few days. I'll let you know what I find out. :)