U of T Pharmacy 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I thought osap doesn't charge you any interest till after grad??? while the bank will continuously charge you interest

Members don't see this ad.

You can let the interest build until after you graduate or you can pay it during the 4 years. National is 30,000 a year. National is the only one for pharmacy so far that I have found that doesn't force you to pay the interest.

Another thing with OSAP is that once you've been out of high school for 4 yrs, they give you a lot more. I don't know if that's why I'm getting such a higher estimate.

I'm heading to Scotia, CIBC, and BMO this afternoon so I'll keep ya posted.

Does anyone have a link to a page stating that The University will negotiate with Scotiabank for an interest free loan? I'd like to look into this; it sounds almost too good to be true. Also, does anyone know if they are exclusively for covering tuition, or if you can use them for living expenses too?

Also, anyone get into graduate house or the waiting list for graduate house? Planning on accepting if so?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have a link to a page stating that The University will negotiate with Scotiabank for an interest free loan? I'd like to look into this; it sounds almost too good to be true. Also, does anyone know if they are exclusively for covering tuition, or if you can use them for living expenses too?

Also, anyone get into graduate house or the waiting list for graduate house? Planning on accepting if so?

Here is the link:

http://pharmacy.utoronto.ca/programs/bsc/studentlinks/financialsupport/links.htm

Last edited:
Brenda is the Faculty registrar but I think she's on vacation.

But if the school negotiated loan is just prime w/ interest payments covered, then that's good enough. No need to go to banks.

Besides, a 30k/year line of credit is too much!

I wish I was in the position to say 30,000 was too much! Lucky you! I would much rather have it there to use it when I need it. You only pay interest on the money you use.

Personally, I feel that OSAP + $30k puts me at risk for going into greater debt which is why I think it's too much. But it's more a psychological thing. I guess it's always good to have the money there just in case.

By the way, what do you need to show them to get the loan? A confirmation of enrollment document?

Last edited:
From National and Scotia (the only two I really considered) you need:
- Letter of Acceptance
- Proof of Canadian Citizenship + another piece of ID (Student card or Drivers License, Scotia doesn't take Health Card)
- If you have bad credit you might need a co-signer so information about parental income is needed if they are going sign with you

I definitely think that having the 30,000 might put me @ risk however I'm going to realize that it is NOT mine to just spend. I think a strict budget will be needed.

Also because the line of credit grows via compound interest, I'm definitely going to pay the monthly amount of interest. For 30,000 (if I used it all) the monthly charge is about 60$. I think the biggest fear is having the money compound into an extremely large sum.

I really hope this information helps and is understandable. I just sat through family dinner learning all about loans from my dad lol.

OSAP Considers pharmacy a BACHELORS program and assess you the same as any BSc student

Yeah but OSAP loans are based on your cost of living. $13k tuition means you'll have a greater cost of living than any non-professional undergrad program. I should have max OSAP, but i've only been out of high school since June 2007 and I live less than 40km away. Even if I commute I have astronomical expenses.

OSAP Considers pharmacy a BACHELORS program and assess you the same as any BSc student

Not exactly true. Most B.Sc students haven't been outside of high school for 4 years. I know that when I tried to get OSAP for my first degree I was estimated 0$, now the estimate is around 13,000.

Wow, that was fast! They acknowledged my acceptance I sent thru fax this morning!

Hey,

I faxed mine in yesterday. Where do I look for their confirmation? Notifications Centre? ... so I know to follow up if I don't hear back in 2 business days :p

Congrats all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was reading the Toronto vs Waterloo debate and felt compelled to sign up and chime in.

Not only is Waterloo a better school with younger, better, and more enthusiastic teachers, it's a CO-OP program. That means you get paid!! I know someone who just completed their first year, and they actually made a bit of money on the year after paying their tuition. Compare this to a Toronto grad who completes their degree with 60,000$ in debt. It really is a no-brainer. You think some future employer is going to be like "oh no, they got a degree from Waterloo???!!" It's a PROFESSIONAL degree people. Get a grip!!! It doesn't matter what school it is from!

Anyway, I got accepted to both schools, and it was an easy decision for me. Couldn't care less what school y'all go to. At least I will be surrounded by more intelligent people at Waterloo.

I was reading the Toronto vs Waterloo debate and felt compelled to sign up and chime in.

Not only is Waterloo a better school with younger, better, and more enthusiastic teachers, it's a CO-OP program. That means you get paid!! I know someone who just completed their first year, and they actually made a bit of money on the year after paying their tuition. Compare this to a Toronto grad who completes their degree with 60,000$ in debt. It really is a no-brainer. You think some future employer is going to be like "oh no, they got a degree from Waterloo???!!" It's a PROFESSIONAL degree people. Get a grip!!! It doesn't matter what school it is from!

Anyway, I got accepted to both schools, and it was an easy decision for me. Couldn't care less what school y'all go to. At least I will be surrounded by more intelligent people at Waterloo.

Get the **** out of this thread and go join your sausagefest school... ignorant bastard

lol...do you really want to go into this?

A good amount of pharmacy students at UofT have year-round pharmacy jobs. Some in my class are doing paid research at the hospitals across the street. And btw, please read up on what happened to the 300+ students that were promised paid summer jobs by SDM this April :)

And let's not get into comparing faculties please, because we all know the answer there.

i was reading the toronto vs waterloo debate and felt compelled to sign up and chime in.

Not only is waterloo a better school with younger, better, and more enthusiastic teachers, it's a co-op program. That means you get paid!! I know someone who just completed their first year, and they actually made a bit of money on the year after paying their tuition. Compare this to a toronto grad who completes their degree with 60,000$ in debt. It really is a no-brainer. You think some future employer is going to be like "oh no, they got a degree from waterloo???!!" it's a professional degree people. Get a grip!!! It doesn't matter what school it is from!

Anyway, i got accepted to both schools, and it was an easy decision for me. Couldn't care less what school y'all go to. At least i will be surrounded by more intelligent people at waterloo.

lol this all coming from a guy with the id "iceicebaby"
credibility automatic fail

is anyone thinking of living in an independent residence ( like primrose) or are most of you just living off campus in a house or apartment? just curious! :)

I don't know why you're so upset. I chose U of T over Waterloo, I was accepted to both as well. To each his own. I have my reasons.

No offense, but this seems like some kind of fake account by someone on UofT's waiting list, hoping that they can lure people into declining their UofT offers... It's just a bit too obvious!!!!

But for the sake of argument, I am a big fan of both schools and I think that both would provide quality education.
With that said, I have to add that UofT's history, reputation, and credibility is VERY hard to overlook.

ROFL ROFL ROFL..

BTW im a waterloo undergrad, and i didnt even apply for waterloo pharmacy.

And to top it off, go to the waterloo website and check the averages of coop earnings pharmacy studnets make compared to others.. They are averaging 14ish/hr. I make more than that on the current job i have now. So goign to waterloo does not make you more advantageous when paying for school. Were on the same boat.

And how ignorant are you lol, you dont think UoFT students can't get a job in the summer LOL

Don't get me wrong, waterloo is a great school, but the reasons you state why it's better than UoFT are flawed in every way possible. And yea, try finding a pharmacy coop job now with the cuts.

Again i don't hate waterloo. I just applied to UoFT just cause i've always watned to go here.

youre clearly a tool....

do we use ROSI for course selection or is everything DONE for us? do we get a say in which class times we get?

thanks

We're told our schedule ... Check ur acceptance page for more info

at end of the day, both toronto grad and waterloo grad are going to be pharmacists. both are good schools and each have its ups and downs. i have to admit waterloo is very appealing because of its tuition fees, but they dont accept first years. that makes my choice very easy :D

Woah there. I was just standing up for my (future) school from all the Waterloo bashing going on in this thread.

But now it also appears UofT students are a-holes as well...So thanks for further proving my point.

Woah there. I was just standing up for my (future) school from all the Waterloo bashing going on in this thread.

But now it also appears UofT students are a-holes as well...So thanks for further proving my point.

no you just sounded like a promoter to me
and we are just defending our future school as well :)

Nobody was bashing Waterloo...

Does anyone find it kind of BS that UofT wants their pharm students to be full time, even if they have course exemptions...I was planning on taking an easy course load and working in a pharmacy for first year...I'm really debating between UBC and UofT...

Even with all my course exemptions (orgo, phys chem and stats) I'm still full time. I also still have a lot of time for a part time job.

Even with all my course exemptions (orgo, phys chem and stats) I'm still full time. I also still have a lot of time for a part time job.

Byork were you a UofT student by any chance. I am coming from UBC but I don't know how the whole course exemption thing works? Do I have to fill out a form? or can I just email them which courses I would like to be exempt from and they will take a look at my transcript and assess whether or not I qualify? I have taken a stats,anatomy,physiology,orgchem,physical chem, and microbiology already... lol

Byork were you a UofT student by any chance. I am coming from UBC but I don't know how the whole course exemption thing works? Do I have to fill out a form? or can I just email them which courses I would like to be exempt from and they will take a look at my transcript and assess whether or not I qualify? I have taken a stats,anatomy,physiology,orgchem,physical chem, and microbiology already... lol

Check this website: http://pharmacy.utoronto.ca/programs/bsc/policies/exemption.htm

It has all the info...

The thing is... there's specific requirements for all of those courses.

Stats for example:

"To be eligible for the PHM122H (Introduction to Statistics) exemption your course(s) must include:
a) Correlation and Linear Regression as covered topics
b) Experimental Design and/or Observational studies as covered topics
c) a laboratory component including the use of statistical computer software such as SPSS, SAS, or Minitab (Excel is not sufficient)."

I'm not sure there's a lot of intro stats courses that include all of that. But I took two stats courses and one course about experimental design and observational studies, so I think I'm good.

You gotta check to be sure. I'm 99% sure I've got: statistics, organic chemistry, physical chemistry and human physiology, biochemistry and molecular biology. I also took microbiology courses and pharmacology but they are too different to count as exemptions.

Check this website: http://pharmacy.utoronto.ca/programs/bsc/policies/exemption.htm

It has all the info...

The thing is... there's specific requirements for all of those courses.

Stats for example:

"To be eligible for the PHM122H (Introduction to Statistics) exemption your course(s) must include:
a) Correlation and Linear Regression as covered topics
b) Experimental Design and/or Observational studies as covered topics
c) a laboratory component including the use of statistical computer software such as SPSS, SAS, or Minitab (Excel is not sufficient)."

I'm not sure there's a lot of intro stats courses that include all of that. But I took two stats courses and one course about experimental design and observational studies, so I think I'm good.

You gotta check to be sure. I'm 99% sure I've got: statistics, organic chemistry, physical chemistry and human physiology, biochemistry and molecular biology. I also took microbiology courses and pharmacology but they are too different to count as exemptions.

Awesome man, thanks a lot!!!

hey, for you guys at UofT, do you think STA220H1 will be sufficient for the exemption? Or would I have to take another semester? thanks :)

Does anyone find it kind of BS that UofT wants their pharm students to be full time, even if they have course exemptions...I was planning on taking an easy course load and working in a pharmacy for first year...I'm really debating between UBC and UofT...
I only had one exemption each semester of year 1 and I still had time to work 10-15 hours weekly. You should be fine, especially if you have numerous exemptions.

lol...do you really want to go into this?

A good amount of pharmacy students at UofT have year-round pharmacy jobs. Some in my class are doing paid research at the hospitals across the street. And btw, please read up on what happened to the 300+ students that were promised paid summer jobs by SDM this April :)

And let's not get into comparing faculties please, because we all know the answer there.
Maybe if you read the article and then some more, you would realize it was UT that was hit by SDM. UW has contracts with employers..so outta those 300 + jobs that were hit...a grand total of 2 were for UW. So do your research.....

are you still here? get the **** out already

That explains a lot. I was gonna say have you learnt nothing in your "professional" pharmacy courses...but....now it makes a lot more sense

Hahahaha! Is that all you could say? That's so predictable. What because I said the F word and told the guy to get out on a message board to people who I have no clue are in real life makes me unprofessional. IMO, that guy deserved it. Coming in and calling us 'less intelligent' and saying Waterloo is the better school? **** that, there is no better school, each has their own strengths and weaknesses.

Onetreehill, grow up and face reality. If you were really 'professional' you would have stayed out of this instead of coming in here and accusing me of being 'unprofessional'. But, I don't blame you... it's a online message board for god's sake.

Hahahaha! Is that all you could say? That's so predictable. What because I said the F word and told the guy to get out on a message board to people who I have no clue are in real life makes me unprofessional. IMO, that guy deserved it. Coming in and calling us 'less intelligent' and saying Waterloo is the better school? **** that, there is no better school, each has their own strengths and weaknesses.

Onetreehill, grow up and face reality. If you were really 'professional' you would have stayed out of this instead of coming in here and accusing me of being 'unprofessional'. But, I don't blame you... it's a online message board for god's sake.
so because he was unprofessional and made certain statements..you stoop to the same level. I really dont need to say more. you kinda speak for yourself

so because he was unprofessional and made certain statements..you stoop to the same level. I really dont need to say more. you kinda speak for yourself

Please, him coming in here and blasting UofT definitely deserves some retaliation. I didn't 'stoop' to his level, I just told him to get the hell out so we can continue our chat about pharmacy...and you're not helping either.

Onetreehill, I hardly see how it is unprofessional for pharmacy students to say **** on an internet forum. Poor taste, yes. Unprofessional, no.