U of Waterloo 2011 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hahah and the countdown begins!:cool:

I'm so nervousssss... btw good luck on your interview! make SDN proud lol

Members don't see this ad.

aww thanks so much! ill be saying the same thing to you in 19 days!:)

Hey EYECANDY5, would you choose U of T over Waterloo? and good luck to everyone, i really hope i get an interview.

YAZAHRA, did you apply to U of T or any other schools as well?

I am just worried about the courses that I haven't completed yet. P.S how do we find out if our reference letters has been received?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey EYECANDY5, would you choose U of T over Waterloo? and good luck to everyone, i really hope i get an interview.

I am just worried about the courses that I haven't completed yet. P.S how do we find out if our reference letters has been received?

No, I've only applied to Waterloo. I'm worried about the same thing, but don't worry - it's okay as long as you have a plan to finish them before Jan 2011. I don't think theres a way to find out, but I'm sure they would have called or something if they were missing something, right?

No, I've only applied to Waterloo. I'm worried about the same thing, but don't worry - it's okay as long as you have a plan to finish them before Jan 2011. I don't think theres a way to find out, but I'm sure they would have called or something if they were missing something, right?

Once your Reference letter is received Julie will send you an email confirming. I.e.
Your Letter of Reference has been received in the Registrar's Office.
Courses that are not completed by the winter term (i.e. Jan - April) will be held against you, unfortunately. If you have a strong enough application then it won't really matter if you are missing a course or, maximum, two by the end of the winter term. I've heard of solid applicants getting accepted without having completed all the requirements before winter. I was hoping to apply without a couple of courses, but my application isn't very strong, so I had to take a bullet and take a semester of pure torture (Biochem, Microbio, Thermo, Calc 2, Orgo 2, Orgo 2 Lab).

Waterloo, more than U of T, focuses on a well rounded individual. It is apparent that they want a complete human, rather than a study bot. That scares the heck out me, but lets see how it goes. I still hope that I get an interview at Waterloo too.

would you choose U of T over Waterloo?

U...................of...................T rules! Jokes! They are both amazing universities and the disparity in their curriculum will soon disappear once they both switch to PharmD.

Once your Reference letter is received Julie will send you an email confirming. I.e.
QUOTE]

I haven't gotten that email, nor has my friend who has applied also :eek:

Hmm... dunno what to tell you. Though the Pharmacy I volunteer at went pretty crazy. They faxed it two times and express mailed it, so I think she might have felt obliged to send me a mail confirming it :laugh:. Anyways It wouldn't hurt to send a little email asking if she received it. Its no biggie, plus I'm pretty sure they would at least inform you if they didn't receive it.

Hmm... dunno what to tell you. Though the Pharmacy I volunteer at went pretty crazy. They faxed it two times and express mailed it, so I think she might have felt obliged to send me a mail confirming it :laugh:. Anyways It wouldn't hurt to send a little email asking if she received it. Its no biggie, plus I'm pretty sure they would at least inform you if they didn't receive it.

Same with mine, they faxed and express mailed it. I have sent many emails actually just to check up on it and i figured they would be too busy to reply and if they havent recieved it they would email me. But you're so freaking me out rightnow..

Same with mine, they faxed and express mailed it. I have sent many emails actually just to check up on it and i figured they would be too busy to reply and if they havent recieved it they would email me. But you're so freaking me out rightnow..

First things first: CALM DOWN. Second things second: CALM DOWN. Now, deep breaths. IN............. OUT.

Give her a quick call. Also link me which email address you have been using.

First things first: CALM DOWN. Second things second: CALM DOWN. Now, deep breaths. IN............. OUT.

Give her a quick call. Also link me which email address you have been using.

lol breathing...

i've been using [email protected] I just called her but she's going to be away until March 23rd, so I left her a msg. I'm gonna actually call Louise in about an hour. :( I hope they have it

Members don't see this ad :)
lol wowwww, i sent mine on feb 4th and emailed 100x and got no confirmation back :scared:

hey !

i would choose u of t over waterloo. even if we have to choose waterloo first i would gladly lose the deposit lol.

co op is awesome and everything but u of t has been my dream since forever

Just call Louise and see what she says.

I just spoke with Louise. She said that the emailing is an ongoing process - Julie emails you as soon as she gets your documents, and since there are a lot of documents coming in.. it'll take her a while to find everything. So for those who have not yet received an email... don't freak out like I just did lol

I just spoke with Louise. She said that the emailing is an ongoing process - Julie emails you as soon as she gets your documents, and since there are a lot of documents coming in.. it'll take her a while to find everything. So for those who have not yet received an email... don't freak out like I just did lol

told you!

Yes i haven't received an email as well. I just hope they got mine. P.S who is this Louise you guys are talking about? can you give me her contact info please.

Yes i haven't received an email as well. I just hope they got mine. P.S who is this Louise you guys are talking about? can you give me her contact info please.

When was your reference sent and how?

Louise is the undergraduate officer of the Pharmacy program
Phone Number: 519 888 4567 ext. 84848
Email: [email protected]
Call her, I think she's in her office now, and let her know that you are also missing an email about your LOR.
Good luck! I hope we get our emails soon!

When was your reference sent and how?

Louise is the undergraduate officer of the Pharmacy program
Phone Number: 519 888 4567 ext. 84848
Email: [email protected]
Call her, I think she's in her office now, and let her know that you are also missing an email about your LOR.
Good luck! I hope we get our emails soon!

Thanks a lot Yazahra, i hope we all get in. I am just worried that my average is not that high but i meet the cutoff and i haven't finished all the pre-reqs but i have great pharmacy experience and great job/ECs

Thanks a lot Yazahra, i hope we all get in. I am just worried that my average is not that high but i meet the cutoff and i haven't finished all the pre-reqs but i have great pharmacy experience and great job/ECs

I hope so too. There's no point worrying... just focus on school and your volunteer positions and hope for the best :)
Have you called Louise or Julie?

I hope so too. There's no point worrying... just focus on school and your volunteer positions and hope for the best :)
Have you called Louise or Julie?

Yea, I emailed Louise and she emailed back saying that i need to contact Julie to find out. I called Julie but she didnt pickup so i left her a message. Hopefully she replies. How is school going though? are you at York you said? I am currently a waterloo student but I am on co-op this term.

Yea, I emailed Louise and she emailed back saying that i need to contact Julie to find out. I called Julie but she didnt pickup so i left her a message. Hopefully she replies. How is school going though? are you at York you said? I am currently a waterloo student but I am on co-op this term.

Yeah, I'm waiting on Julie's reply too.. so is my other friend who also applied. I don't think there's anything to worry about.
School is good, but always stressful.. especially now since exams are fast approaching. Good luck with co-op!

hi guys this is a very very stupid question

i forgot my quest password and forgot the answer to one of the 3 questions.. is there somone i could call that can send my password from UW?

i feel like the biggest loser ever...:smack:

Hey ilovechocolate,

You should try to contact them and see if u can request your password. Good luck.

Do you guys know roughly how many applicants applied this year or last year?

From what Louise said, the applicants for this year are ~ 600. Maybe I heard her wrong, but that's what I remember. Correct me if I'm wrong.

From what Louise said, the applicants for this year are ~ 600. Maybe I heard her wrong, but that's what I remember. Correct me if I'm wrong.

How you know this information?
Just curious because it says nothing like this on the school's website that how many applicantions are there.

How you know this information?
Just curious because it says nothing like this on the school's website that how many applicantions are there.

Exactly - it doesn't say so anywhere, and that's why I'm not sure. However, I have been speaking with Louise (one of the undergrad staff members at the UW School of Pharmacy) and she said something about ~ 600 applicants. Don't quote me on this, because, once again, I'm not 100% sure.

wow 600 is a really low number... our odds seem pretty good.

How many interview invites will there be?:confused:

^ How many people do they accept?- my guess is mid 100s.... so it's actually about the same probability of admission as UofT- 1/4 (although we're lucky cause the PCAT was introduced recently haha)

wow 600 is a really low number... our odds seem pretty good.

How many interview invites will there be?:confused:

There will be around 240 interviews and only 120 will be admitted.

Good luck to everyone. 14 more days!

ps. I've been told that they've been running late on the emails for the reference. They were supposed to send out the rest of the emails this week, but they weren't able to... I'm just wondering if they will have time to send out everything before April 8. :confused:

~ 11 more days.. I can't stand the wait honestly lol.. I know it will be over in no time but ughhh.. +pissed+

~ 11 more days.. I can't stand the wait honestly lol.. I know it will be over in no time but ughhh.. +pissed+

yea the wait is killing me as well. P.S have you received any email from Julie confirming your reference letter have been received?

yea the wait is killing me as well. P.S have you received any email from Julie confirming your reference letter have been received?

No, nothing yet. They'll probably send them by the end of this week? It seems so unorganized to me.

ok i don't get this anymore... there's 9 more days left till interview invitations and people have not yet received emails confirming thier documents.. this is so unorganizedd!!!

ok i don't get this anymore... there's 9 more days left till interview invitations and people have not yet received emails confirming thier documents.. this is so unorganizedd!!!

I agree, i don't know why they can't confirm the documents. P.S did Julie really tell you that 600 applicants applied this year?

I agree, i don't know why they can't confirm the documents. P.S did Julie really tell you that 600 applicants applied this year?

That's what I remember Louise telling me... about 600 applicants, but I don't know if she meant that 600 in total applied or 600 are yet to get confirmation emails for their documents. Not really sure. :confused:

This whole thing is getting annoying for the applicants AND the admin staff. :thumbdown:

regarding the reference letter emails .. i did not recieve a confirmation to my email.. however, my reference did get an email acknowledging that they had recieved the reference letter about a week after the applications were due ... so maybe you guys should ask ur reference whether they recieved an email of confirmation?

Ok guys, I know the wait is killing you all, been there myself know how it feels... so good luck to all of you who are applicants this year ;)

Just a general question, I will be an applicant next year and I was just wondering what the "competitive" range of gpa/average is? I know that you have to be a well rounded applicant with good references, and other stuff... but I'm curious about the gpa!

Ok guys, I know the wait is killing you all, been there myself know how it feels... so good luck to all of you who are applicants this year ;)

Just a general question, I will be an applicant next year and I was just wondering what the "competitive" range of gpa/average is? I know that you have to be a well rounded applicant with good references, and other stuff... but I'm curious about the gpa!

The cut-off for UW School of Pharmacy is 3.0/4.0 or 6.5/9.0 (75%), but to be competitive you need at least an A (80%), I believe, since there will be a lot of applicants with extremely high GPAs... the higher you can get, the better. :) Good luck.

The cut-off for UW School of Pharmacy is 3.0/4.0 or 6.5/9.0 (75%), but to be competitive you need at least an A (80%), I believe, since there will be a lot of applicants with extremely high GPAs... the higher you can get, the better. :) Good luck.

Thanks for the info :) but how do you define "extremely high GPA" is it 3.7+ or 3.8+ or 3.9+ or even 4.0 ???
Does anyone know the mean average of people from last years by any chance??? any links?
Also, do they ask you about your involvement in school during the interview?

I hate GPA. Thank god they use percentage. If you use the OMSAS scale, my GPA is like 3.44, but my percentage grade is 82%. If you directly convert that, its a bit higher than a 3.7.

I think the average will be in the low 80s (80-83), with a lot of people in the high 70s and low 80s applying, and a smaller yet sizable few with mid-to-high 80s.

Thanks for the info :) but how do you define "extremely high GPA" is it 3.7+ or 3.8+ or 3.9+ or even 4.0 ???
Does anyone know the mean average of people from last years by any chance??? any links?
Also, do they ask you about your involvement in school during the interview?

The average admission % for 2010 was around 78%. I believe the interview can go all over the place. If you think that your involvement is a strong point then make sure you bring it up. These traditional interviews put a lot of power on the shoulders of the interviewee, so you can talk about anything you want really.

The average admission % for 2010 was around 78%. I believe the interview can go all over the place. If you think that your involvement is a strong point then make sure you bring it up. These traditional interviews put a lot of power on the shoulders of the interviewee, so you can talk about anything you want really.

Hey AJTHEBEST, where did you get the stats of the admission average from? is there a link? or you just heard it from someone?

Hey AJTHEBEST, where did you get the stats of the admission average from? is there a link? or you just heard it from someone?

I asked Louise all of these questions before applying. She gave me the information.