U Pitt Parking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EngDentist

Perfect Chompers
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone suggest a good place to park near the dental school at U Pitt? I am going to be driving there for an interview on Monday.

Members don't see this ad.

the hospital parking garage right across the street from the dental school. 3 entrances, best bet is the one on lodiam? street?

I think the above poster means Lothrop Street. I'm not familiar with any lodiam street. You can also try Soldiers and Sailors parking garage at the corner of Fifth and Bigelow. It's a bit of a hike from there to the dental school, but not bad at all (probably a 10-15 min walk if you walk slow). Plus you'll get to see some of Pitt's lower campus on your way up! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys!

I think the above poster means Lothrop Street. I'm not familiar with any lodiam street. You can also try Soldiers and Sailors parking garage at the corner of Fifth and Bigelow. It's a bit of a hike from there to the dental school, but not bad at all (probably a 10-15 min walk if you walk slow). Plus you'll get to see some of Pitt's lower campus on your way up! :thumbup:

I think Lothrop has a new name: Thomas Starzl Way. You should probably check into that. If there was anyway to take the bus instead of driving, I would recommend that, since parking in the garage is not always an easy solution. If you do park in the garage, try and use the entrance that is across from the dental school so you can have a straight shot and less of a walk, especially if you are unfamiliar with the hills. Goodluck!:D

the garage the block above the school is cheaper I believe

Just a word of warning. The parking garage on Lothrop St was indeed the most convenient but it was more expensive than I had anticipated. I had just about $11 with me but the cost for parking for a day ended up being $18.xx. I had to bum $7 from another interviewee:oops::oops:. And they wont take a charge card.

By the way if you are not familiar with the area, check googlemaps "Stree view" for the area.

Just a word of warning. The parking garage on Lothrop St was indeed the most convenient but it was more expensive than I had anticipated. I had just about $11 with me but the cost for parking for a day ended up being $18.xx. I had to bum $7 from another interviewee:oops::oops:. And they wont take a charge card.

By the way if you are not familiar with the area, check googlemaps "Stree view" for the area.

They didn't give you a ticket for a discounted price? That Sucks! I hope your interview went well at least!

They didn't give you a ticket for a discounted price? That Sucks! I hope your interview went well at least!

The interview was very low pressure. Very much like a conversation. Check interview feedback for a standard sent of questions they seem to ask.

For anyone using GPS to get to U Pitt:
Latitude: 40.441628
Longitude: -79.960304
will take you to the nearest parking structure to the dental school.

What about parking a little further and taking the subway (if there is one that will take you close to the school)? I would like to take the subways if possible also so I can get a feel for the city more. Any suggestions? I don't think the subway takes you very close to the school though so maybe Pittsburgh is more driving friendly then subway accessible?

^There aren't subways that go to Pitt campus. A lot of busses, however, will. Like almost all the busses in that area will stop on Forbes or Fifth ave. which is super close to the dental school.

Park in one of the 2hour pitt meter parking lots. Take the 15$ ticket you will get and throw it out.

^There aren't subways that go to Pitt campus. A lot of busses, however, will. Like almost all the busses in that area will stop on Forbes or Fifth ave. which is super close to the dental school.

aww no i guess subway + bus wont' be that practical then since the bus will get stuck in traffic as well. I am probably better off driving, but how heavy is the morning traffic?

If I am coming from downtown will leaving an hour early be enough...2 hrs? I hear its bad and finding a new place always takes more time so I def. don't want to be late, esp. since it's a very important day :D

when i interviewed there the student i stayed with parked 3-4 blocks from the school on a residential street. he pointed out 10-12 other student's cars to me as well~they just park there for free and do the <10 minute walk. i can't remember the names of the streets, but i'm sure someone will chime in or respond to a PM.

My dad worked for Pat Transit for 25 years. The subway is great, if you get a chance to ride it, since you are going to be downtown ride it to station square and then back again. If you want to see the 'fountain' that is in all of the pittsburgh photos ride the trolley (subway) to gateway center (the last stop on the line) and point state park is right there to your left when you get to the street level.
as for a bus this was on pitts website:
Port Authority Transit System (PAT bus)

PAT is a publicly owned mass transit system operated by Port Authority of Allegheny County. Fares vary within a five-zone system extending in all directions from downtown to the outer suburbs. Basic fare is $1.75. Exact change is required. Transfers can be purchase for a quarter, and can be used for one connection in any direction within three hours of the time of purchase; pay as you enter on inbound trips toward downtown Pittsburgh, pay as you exit on outbound trips before 7:00 p.m. After 7:00 p.m., pay as you enter on all trips. Local buses numbered 71 (1, B, C, or D), 67 (A or F), or 61 (A, B, or C) come into Oakland and may be boarded along Fifth Avenue, downtown. For bus routes and times call (412)442-2000.