UBC Pharmacy 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was wondering if the quality of your answers and the quality of your exp. are important? They said that there was no right or wrong answers. So long as you can think of an ex and answer the question logically, as long as they take notes on all of your answers and you sounded confident and speak clearly and consisely? I hope so because I just realized how lame my accomplishment sounded and some of my behavioural answers were based on school instead of my work exp.

I just pulled this from the ubc pharmacy website:

The Faculty will select for admission those students who not only demonstrate academic potential but also most aptly display a motivation to study pharmaceutical sciences and demonstrate that they possess the qualities and skills most necessary to become a caring and competent pharmacist.

so i guess the answer to your question is yes and no. no, because they want to see how well you can communicate your thoughts (i.e. clear and concise) and your thought process. yes, because maybe your answers/exp can demonstrate how you would be "caring", "competent", and "motivated to study".

i wouldn't worry too much since it seems like you gave a solid performance and you also have the marks to back it up, showing your academic ability/potential

Last edited:
Is it true that 150 students that are going to be admitted into the program this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it true that 150 students that are going to be admitted into the program this year?

Yeah, 150 spots maybe 140 for BC and 10 for outside applicants.

Last edited:
Great, that sounds wonderful. I don't know if an 80.9% prerequisite is good to make up for the lack of depth in my interview answers? My resume is pretty good, i just felt like I didn't talk more about my work and volunteer exp in the interview.

I'm sure 80.9% is above the average GPA for prerequisites for the applicants applying. However, the interview is worth 40%... so it can go either way.

Hi all,
If anyone has received the admission email, please let us know ASAP. I recall last year ppl actually received their admssion fairly quick~ like the Friday within that interview wk. So end our anxious waiting. Let us know the good news!

yeah after thinking back on the interview i am really curious on how they give you a score....like is it on the delivery of the anwser (i.e ur personality) or is just on the asnwer itself...i am thinking it has to be a little bit of both because a person with no personality/emotionless lol could give an awesome answer...but thats probably not what there looking for. And i guess if a peson with an great energy gives a bad answer....thats not gonna work either. So its probably a balance....i am also thinking that there not expecting super amazing answers to every question....if u gave super amazing answers to every question they probably would assume that u had the questions already or something....I do know of one person who I heard didn't do good on their interview a couple years ago cuz they said apparently that he sounded too rehersed...but again this is just what i've heard lol

Yeah, interviews tend to be extremely subjective too. It all depends on the personalities of the interviewers themselves. A more reserved interviewer might be overwhelmed by an enthusiastic applicant, whereas a more energetic interviewer might relate to that same applicant more. This is why I was never a fan of 2-interviewer panels...

I totally agree w/ what everyone is saying. the interview is very subjective and you can't deny that luck plays a large factor in the interview process. for example, if your interviewer was in a bad mood or if you both have opposite personalities...that can have a negative impact on your score. on the other hand, if you can connect w/ the interviewers, then that's definitely a plus.

and i think last yr, the acceptance e-mails were sent on monday, rejection letters on tues.

Do you guys think that the interviewers commenting on things you've said or even laughing is a good sign?

By the way, do u guys think looking down and taking notes frantically a good sign?(of course I mean the interviewers):xf:

I totally agree w/ what everyone is saying. the interview is very subjective and you can't deny that luck plays a large factor in the interview process. for example, if your interviewer was in a bad mood or if you both have opposite personalities...that can have a negative impact on your score. on the other hand, if you can connect w/ the interviewers, then that's definitely a plus.

and i think last yr, the acceptance e-mails were sent on monday, rejection letters on tues.
Thanks onionman. That settles me down...:p

Do you guys think that the interviewers commenting on things you've said or even laughing is a good sign?

Hahaha! i was the thinking the same thing! They were kinda during my interview...i am like is this a good sign or not?!lol...lets jus say its a good sign soo we can sleep better

Members don't see this ad :)
By the way, do u guys think looking down and taking notes frantically a good sign?(of course I mean the interviewers):xf:

haha that happened to me too. the thing is i didn't mean it to be a joke or anything so it confused me a little bit too :S

them taking down notes is awsome!! that means ur saying important stuff! :)...but if ur saying the wrong important stuff there gonna be wrtiing that down too! lol

I get the feeling that everyone did well in the interview this year...it will be tough to pick b/w applicants.

Last edited:
I brought in a personal example in only one question...

Last edited:
I just hate that I keep thinking about my questions/answers! Grrrr i hate this!!lol..even thou i can't do anything now but wait for my rejection letter lol
(prepare for the worst and hope for the best.....)

um.. you guys might not wanna discuss the interview questions here...:oops:

Yeah, really, we should all just stop talking about questions. There's no point going over them now. I'm waiting for my rejection letter too. I'm pretty sure I was on the bottom half of the 300 applicants.

Last edited:
We can't give the question away. I think there were a few.

Last edited:
hey guys, it's not a good idea to discuss the questions here. the pharm admissions people do read these boards.

Last edited:
Yeah, even though everybody's already gone through the interviews, it would be best to not discuss it here. We all signed that sheet, remember? :p

halllo Monday...!!

Quick question: my interviewers said they "have never viewed my application file before" at the start of my interview. Anyone know if that means they never will, or will eventually before scoring?

Last edited:
Let's stay on topic. I can't wait to see if we make the cut on Monday!

Last edited:
Lol, yeah anyways. Best of luck to all of you guys =)

Last edited:
Quick question: my interviewers said they "have never viewed my application file before" at the start of my interview. Anyone know if that means they never will, or will eventually before scoring?

They may look at your LOR because I heard how LOR's play a large role in determining your interview score; but this is closed file so I don't know, maybe that rumour was only for open file interviews.

Last edited:
i am so anxious to know the results.... the 2 interviewers that i had looked SO uninterested throughout the entire process.. i felt this way because it seemed like their eyes were half opened.. from the moment i walked in to the moment i walked out..

i can't tell what they were thinking... maybe it was because they were so bored from all the interviews they had that day?? maybe they felt like it was useless interviewing me because they already had their minds set on who they'd let in and i was just that extra person who they already knew they wouldn't let in?

i guess i did my best, i have no regrets.. but, i'm just worried that what i said above might be true :(

ps: both of them looked completely emotionless throughout the interview =(((... i heard of someone who's interviewers smiled at them and laughed at a joke and were very welcoming

Last edited:
i am so anxious to know the results.... the 2 interviewers that i had looked SO uninterested throughout the entire process.. i felt this way because it seemed like their eyes were half opened.. from the moment i walked in to the moment i walked out..

i can't tell what they were thinking... maybe it was because they were so bored from all the interviews they had that day?? maybe they felt like it was useless interviewing me because they already had their minds set on who they'd let in and i was just that extra person who they already knew they wouldn't let in?

i guess i did my best, i have no regrets.. but, i'm just worried that what i said above might be true :(

ps: both of them looked completely emotionless throughout the interview =(((... i heard of someone who's interviewers smiled at them and laughed at a joke and were very welcoming

Don't worry too much about it. Some interviewers even looked at the wall while the applicant was talking! Maybe it was just a test to see if you'd get angry? :)

Don't worry too much about it. Some interviewers even looked at the wall while the applicant was talking! Maybe it was just a test to see if you'd get angry? :)

Wow which interviewers were these??
The caucasian/asian lady interviewer pair
Or the asian female/male interviewers?

Looking around the room when the candidate is talking is so rude! :mad:

Perhaps they were indeed testing how we'd hold up under pressure (as if an interview isn't stressful enough); after all, a pharmacist's job can be stress-filled at times.

My interview pair laughed once, but otherwise were writing things down furiously. For other people who had interviews late in the shift, maybe the interviewers' attention span do get tested a bit more... I don't know.

I have a feeling your time slot for the interview is set based on your rank coming into the interview. So interviewers know if you are a likely candidate and so are more interested in your answers. A late time slot basically means your chances are slim but they are just doing it just in case the higher ranked students majorly flopped their interview. It keeps everyone on their toes and it gives those with a slim chance to develop their interview experiences for next time.

Last edited:
I have a feeling your time slot for the interview is set based on your rank coming into the interview. So interviewers know if you are a likely candidate and so are more interested in your answers. A late time slot basically means your chances are slim but they are just doing it just in case the higher ranked students majorly flopped their interview. It keeps everyone on their toes and it gives those with a slim chance to develop their interview skills and application for next time, and encourages those without competitive grades to prove themselves worthy to becoming a pharmacist with life experiences.

I dont think so.. since interview is completely closed file, they shouldnt know who has better/less chance

Wow which interviewers were these??
The caucasian/asian lady interviewer pair
Or the asian female/male interviewers?

Looking around the room when the candidate is talking is so rude! :mad:

Sorry! I'm not certain because I just heard it happened to someone!

I don't think your rank has anything to do with what time your interview is. It's simply based on availability.

Your time slot doesn't have anything to do with your rank...didn't you guys get to request your time slot? (ie morning or afternoon). Last year we got to request our day and time slot.

My interview last year was the last time slot of the day, on the last day of interviews (I requested afternoon)...and I got in (and my app looked good on paper, so I can't imagine they thought "this girl sucks, lets put her last!")

I think you guys need to chill (and I mean that in a nice way), you are over thinking things, and it's too late now anyway. Go see a movie, do something fun this weekend, then check your email first thing Mon morning:)

I think your timeslot is based on your year. I remembered everyone in my timeslot were in the same year as me...maybe my year is a popular year to apply for pharmacy, I don't know.

No i really don't think soo lol....everyone in my section was all different years....its for sure on availablity...nothing else....i think everyone is thinking tooo deeply about this lol

Does anyone know how much time we have between receiving acceptance/rejection letters and the registration time for the courses? Should I be planning courses just in case I do get in, or will I have plenty of time to do that after getting a letter?

Does anyone know how much time we have between receiving acceptance/rejection letters and the registration time for the courses? Should I be planning courses just in case I do get in, or will I have plenty of time to do that after getting a letter?

Looking at my email from last year:

We had to accept our offer of admission by July 3, and registration dates were from July 7th to 15th.

It might take a few days for your registration date to show up on SSC once you are admitted, but you'll have a week or two to sort your schedule out once you get your offer of admission.

Because I'm really bored and sick of studying for my Anat midterm, here is some extra info FYI:

You have to pick a "standard time table"; these time tables are the same for all Pharm classes, except for your lab and PBL (problem based learning) class. If you still have to do some of the 1st/2nd/3rd year required courses (organic chem, biochem, micro, anat, physiology etc), you'll have to work those into your schedule around the standard time table (and it will be a verrrry full schedule). Your offer of admission email will contain a few attachments with all the info about required courses etc.

I think you guys need to chill (and I mean that in a nice way), you are over thinking things, and it's too late now anyway. Go see a movie, do something fun this weekend, then check your email first thing Mon morning:)

lol microbi, you always give good advice. :p

Just out of curiousity, how diverse typically is UBCs pharmacy class. When I interviewed all 7 other people in the circle of calm was oriental. Was it just my interview section or is the class typically oriental - not that it matters but I was just curious.

If you take a look at any classes in the Faculty of Science, there is also a large component of Asian students. I'd guess that the ratio in Pharmaceutical Sciences mirrors that of your typical Science courses.

If you're not from UBC, I'd say around 60-80% of our 1st/2nd-year students are of Asian descent; it varies from lecture to lecture.

I think I bombed my interview. Sick going in so my voice kept cracking, hope they didn't mistake that for being nervous. Ah well, can't do anything now but wait until I get my email:scared:

lol I was sick too, was coughing a lot the entire way. I think it's a good thing I apologized for my sickness before hand.

Either way, I dun think you are going to be ranked down in anyway for your voice. After all, I'm sure it would be very easy to identify if you are sick or nervous.

Man, you guys are thinking too much. Only 1 more day! (Hopefully...)

Oy, you know what would be really mean? If they didn't release the results until, say, Friday. That would be one heck of an excruciating wait...

Oy, you know what would be really mean? If they didn't release the results until, say, Friday. That would be one heck of an excruciating wait...

Thats how it was with the interviews...so i wouldn't be surprised if they did lol