UBC Pharmacy 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I actually no of him.....he apparently had amazing EC and is also the type of person who would do really good in an interview as well

what's EC?

Members don't see this ad.

Extra-curriculars. :) Thanks for all the advice... that makes me feel less nervous!

Members don't see this ad :)
EC= extra curriculars...lol....i thought i would attempt to be cool and shorten it lol

Oh, haha.. I obviously wasn't cool enough to understand it. Thanks though =) And huge props to ubcmicrobi for the advice!

I was just wondering, does the UBC pharmacy admission committee discriminate against students who did most of their prereq's at other schools? (Langara, Kwantlen)

Are they more likely to accept people with ok marks from UBC than people with high marks from those other schools?

I was just wondering, does the UBC pharmacy admission committee discriminate against students who did most of their prereq's at other schools? (Langara, Kwantlen)

Are they more likely to accept people with ok marks from UBC than people with high marks from those other schools?

I did all my 1st and 2nd year pre-reqs at Langara (ie 1st year bio, 1st year chem, organic chem, english, calc etc). So, I'm an example or a student who got in with "high marks" from "those other schools". I really don't think there is any significance to where you did your pre-reqs.

I don't know if answering this question will violate any rules, but I'll ask just in case:
are there questions that test your knowledge of drugs (eg., drug action of common drugs, common drug names and what they are for...etc) or questions on current (health-related) events? Are there question pertaining to UBC Pharmacy specifically (should I spend time looking at the structure and background of the Pharmacy school, as I would when applying for a job at a company?)

Many thanks,

P.S. @starstrike: were you able to get a hold of the questions before you had the interview, or did you walk in blinded??

When I went in for my interview I didn't have any old questions; I had to go in cold turkey. The way I prepared for my interview was by looking up typical job interview questions and trying to answer those in a quick and concise manner. I found that really helped me out.

Does anyone one what the interview is worth? I was hearing that it was worth around 40% or 50%? Is it really worth that much???

I don't know what the selecting criteria they used in my case. I am graduate student with GPA around 83%(both undergrad and grad), as well as 97% at PCAT. I got a rejection letter!

Anyway UBC pharmacy is just my backup, but even still~~~

I don't know what the selecting criteria they used in my case. I am graduate student with GPA around 83%(both undergrad and grad), as well as 97% at PCAT. I got a rejection letter!

What the heck? :eek: i cannot believe that...

When I went in for my interview I didn't have any old questions; I had to go in cold turkey. The way I prepared for my interview was by looking up typical job interview questions and trying to answer those in a quick and concise manner. I found that really helped me out.

Thanks for the tip! I've doing that but I can't seem to come up with an answer smoothly and quickly....

Do the interviewers time you? I am kind of worried that I end up rambling and don't get to all the questions in the allotted time. I suppose some questions will require longer answers than others, but do you have an idea on average how long I should aim for for each question?

they time you, but i wouldnt worry too much about that :S more important things to worry about

Hi~

I don't think it's just about PCAT + marks.

They primarily look at why you actually want to become a pharmacist, and look for the following:

1. relevant experience in pharmacy
2. EC to supplement attributes required for being a successful pharmacist
3. reference letters - to validate that you are a wonderful person
4. essay - to check your passion for becoming a pharmacist

I personally believe the 4 things are more important than just marks + PCATS because there are variances between courses taken, school that you were in, courseload, etc. But if I were you, I would definitely contact the school and ask for the reasons why you were not offered an interview. Hope that helps!

OH ONE MORE THING :p --> I know someone who was also rejected because their tone seemed like they put pharmacy as their backup. Why would schools offer acceptance to you if you think of them as a back up?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with you but I also do believe my supplement material is good if not perfect. My language might be an issue because I am an immigrant. But I do know how to write a logic and reasonable essay. I also asked my friends to review my essay and make comments.

Given the fact I was invited for the interview for Dental school (UT and Western), I do believe there is either something wrong with my application material or simply unfair in my case.

Hi~

I don't think it's just about PCAT + marks.

They primarily look at why you actually want to become a pharmacist, and look for the following:

1. relevant experience in pharmacy
2. EC to supplement attributes required for being a successful pharmacist
3. reference letters - to validate that you are a wonderful person
4. essay - to check your passion for becoming a pharmacist

I personally believe the 4 things are more important than just marks + PCATS because there are variances between courses taken, school that you were in, courseload, etc. But if I were you, I would definitely contact the school and ask for the reasons why you were not offered an interview. Hope that helps!

OH ONE MORE THING :p --> I know someone who was also rejected because their tone seemed like they put pharmacy as their backup. Why would schools offer acceptance to you if you think of them as a back up?

Wow, I can't believe some people are being interviewed right now! Mine's tomorrow... I'm nervous but kind of excited!:)
Colanring: if you say your gpa is 83 for both grad and undergrad, that's not the number that they will use - they only use the prerequisite courses and courses that are equivalent to those in the Pharmacy program. So if you didn't do as well in your 1st year courses your admission gpa would be much lower. I don't know if that helps.
Good luck to everyone:luck:

i cant believe its coming up so fast! im actually less nervous than i was a few weeks ago.. good luck to everyone on sdn!! Im going to vancouver tomorrow night!!:)

If that's the case, I have a even higher GPA because my best two years are first year and fourth year. Anyway it's done and no one can change it.

Wow, I can't believe some people are being interviewed right now! Mine's tomorrow... I'm nervous but kind of excited!:)
Colanring: if you say your gpa is 83 for both grad and undergrad, that's not the number that they will use - they only use the prerequisite courses and courses that are equivalent to those in the Pharmacy program. So if you didn't do as well in your 1st year courses your admission gpa would be much lower. I don't know if that helps.
Good luck to everyone:luck:

Last edited:
my interview is tomrrow too! i was super calm...but now i am nervous!lol...i am just scared i am gonna get a question where i have noo answer and crash and burn and then be destroyed for the rest of the interview lol...but other than that i am fine lol
Good luck everyone! :)

How long did it take most of you to finish prereqss?

I was reading u of t admissions and they want u to take 5 courses a semester, now if i want to only do 3-4 a semester and take 1.5 or 2 years to complete them will that put me to a disadvantage???

Anyone know when the date is they send out acceptances? Reading last year's thread the first acceptances were sent out on June 30th, which is only a week away?:eek:

has anyone gone through the interview already this pass week and willing to give some of us advice? lol

I had the interview yesterday... found out somebody was actually in the same first year science program as me (~150 people in this program) LOL...

If that's the case, I have a even higher GPA because my best two years are first year and fourth year. Anyway it's done and no one can change it.

Yeah, then it likely isn't your GPA and more likely your attitude that pharmacy is your alternative priority, not the main one.

How was the interview Brian?

By the way, does anyone know how many applicants there were overall, how many people were given an interview and how many people are actually accepted?

Last edited:
^ 600 applications, 300 interviews, 150 get in, all approximations

Good luck everyone =D

done! :)....but now waiting begins!!AHhhh lol

:luck::luck::luck:So I'm done now... for those going Wed or Thurs: don't worry too much about it. The atmosphere is really relaxed and none of the questions very tricky.:thumbup:

Hey guys do you know what the grading looks like broken down?
Is it:
50% GPA
40% Interview
10% PCAT+application etc.

I heard that the PCAT is worth 0% after the interview?

At least 50% of the Admission Index will be determined from grades of prerequisite and other relevant courses. The balance is comprised of the Online Pharmacy Application materials, the PCAT scores, and the Interview Score. The Faculty will select for admission those students who not only demonstrate academic ability but also most aptly display a motivation to study pharmaceutical sciences and demonstrate they possess the qualities and skills most necessary to be a caring and potentially competent pharmacist. We advise applicants that the non-academic factors are important enough that a student who has very high grades may not be offered admission if the non-academic assessment is lacking.

Where did you hear that it was worth 0?

Oh, just from a friend who got in last year. He had a PCAT score of only 74 but was still admitted.

Ugh, the anticipation up to the letter of acceptance is going to kill me..

phew im glad that it's over. good luck to thurs people.

i can't believe during the interview, i was so overwhelmed with emotion, that i got teary....hopefully, it won't hurt me =(

wow, to cry you must have conveyed some very emotional stuff, and don't worry I'm sure they'll rank you better if you put a lot of emotion in what you say. :thumbup:

Damn this anticipation, gonna be refreshing my email every 15 minutes next week again T_T

I had my interview on Tuesday. I was surprised that my interviewers were really nice and responded well to my answers because I heard last year a lot of the interviewers were unemotional and robotic. Good luck to everyone going tomorrow, remember to RELAX and be in the moment. :)
I wouldn't worry about the acceptance letters till Monday?

its true that the PCAT isn't worth a whole lot in the end like BARELY maybe 2-3% because I know someone that only got 64% on the PCAT that got in last year.

I had my interview on Tuesday. I was surprised that my interviewers were really nice and responded well to my answers because I heard last year a lot of the interviewers were unemotional and robotic. Good luck to everyone going tomorrow, remember to RELAX and be in the moment. :)
I wouldn't worry about the acceptance letters till Monday?

I agree: my interviewers were nice too. I had the two pharmacist ladies, you?
I'm thinking the letters will probably be sent by the end of next week...:)

Last year offers were sent out on the Monday following the last interview day (Thurs), so you might be hearing from UBC soon!! It doesn't take them long to make their decision.

Good luck everyone :) Check your email Monday morning, just in case.

does any1 noe who exactly makes the decisions? not the interviewers themselves rite? i was just wondering cuz since not every1 was interviewed by the same people.

anybody else had their interview Wed 10:00 AM? maybe I saw u lol

Just finished mine. It went overtime (was 35 minutes!):(, so I guess that indicates that my answers weren't very concise. Crap.

The wait is going to kill me.

Did any of the interviewers ask you guys to give them additional information at the end/ ask them any questions ? I was at 30minutes exactly and they didn't give me the chance to ask anything, but I know that last year's interviewers let candidates make extra comments at the end of the interview. Maybe it was because I went over 25min?!

I don't know, I'd much rather have an interview go long than short. That is of course, if you didn't go completely off in a tangent. Short interviews might just mean you didn't have sufficient experience/explanation to back up your answers with.

And yeah, I've heard that they'll only ask for additional comments/questions if you haven't used up your time limit, so it's not a big deal if they didn't ask you.

In any case... yes, now the wait begins.

Did any of the interviewers ask you guys to give them additional information at the end/ ask them any questions ? I was at 30minutes exactly and they didn't give me the chance to ask anything, but I know that last year's interviewers let candidates make extra comments at the end of the interview. Maybe it was because I went over 25min?!

for me, when they said i was done, i took the initiative and asked if i could ask a question. but the lady said 'no, and to direct any questions to margaret or other staff'. so, i was kinda surprised she said that cause i had an interesting question. then the 2nd person said i had 58 sec left on the clock and that here's my chance to add my final comments. so, i just took that time to reiterate and summary my ideas.

gosh....the wait is agonizing :(

does any1 noe who exactly makes the decisions? not the interviewers themselves rite? i was just wondering cuz since not every1 was interviewed by the same people.

No, I believe the interviewers simply provide a score, which is added to the other aspects of your application (GPA, PCAT, non-academic). After that's done, it's probably just a simple act of e-mailing acceptance letters to the top 150 applicants.

It would be unfair for the interviewers to have sole power on admission, since there might be bias and difference in standards/expectations. I heard from UBC Nursing staff that Pharmacy was looking to establish "stationed" interviews, in which applicants rotate between stations manned by different interviewers to answer different questions (like your lab exams) to reduce bias. Nursing & Medicine uses that format, but I guess it wasn't implemented, heh.

I had the two pharmcist ladies on tuesday too (seems like others have had them too..) but my interview was short! :(....now i am worried that i should have kept talking lol...seems like everyone here had sooo much too say! i donno...i am jus gonna pray for the best!

But i was wondering....what did ppl here think about the ratio of guys to girl applicants? I was wondering was it only my time frame that it was all guys? I was the only girl there and i only saw one other girl leave before me and none when i came back from my interview...

I had only 1 guy in my time slot, a first year, non-UBC student. There were about 4 other girls.

I went on Tuesday too. Did you have Caucasian & Asian ladies interviewing you?

no i didn't......maybe all the interviewers were ladies lol

No, I had an Asian male and a Canadian born Asian female. During the time waiting in the circle of calm, I was seated with 4 girls.

I was wondering if the quality of your answers and the quality of your exp. are important? They said that there was no right or wrong answers. So long as you can think of an ex and answer the question logically, as long as they take notes on all of your answers and you sounded confident and speak clearly and consisely? I hope so because I just realized how lame my accomplishment sounded and some of my behavioural answers were based on school instead of my work exp.

Last edited:
I was wondering if the quality of your answers and the quality of your exp. are important? They said that there was no right or wrong answers. So long as you can think of an ex and answer the question logically, as long as they take notes on all of your answers and you sounded confident and speak clearly and consisely? I hope so because I just realized how lame my accomplishment sounded and some of my behavioural answers were based on school instead of my work exp.

Considering a fair number of younger applicants do get in, I'd expect that the manner of answering it is more important than what the actual answer is. After all, I don't expect all the admitted first-years to have saved the world or done something incredibly significant, otherwise, a large majority of the accepted students would be older and arguably have more life experience, and hence more accomplishments to speak of. Having said that, apparently 1/3 of the accepted applicants last year had a Bachelor's degree. I mean, it all balances out with the GPA in the end.

As for me, I needed to make up for my GPA so in the interview I tried to tie in an accomplishment/experience with each answer. Who knows. It's a guessing game...

And as a disclaimer, I'm not saying first-years can't have significant accomplishments. Just relatively, given time and experience, older people will have more experiences to speak of. I had an interview 3 years ago, and my answers then were relatively "blah" compared to what I can say now.