UC Consortium 2018-2019 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone! Submitted my app last month. Hoping to get into one in northern California. Wishing everyone luck! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I submitted my app + transcripts back in January and FINALLY got my LOR's in today! Submitted those via interfolio !

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all, I also just submitted yesterday on 2/9. Good luck to all of us!

I had a question for UCSF, it says to take one semester of Biochem... how many quarters is that? I've heard is 2 in some pages but 1 in others? Do you all think if I only take 1 is too much to not meet the requirements?

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my transcripts the first week of January, but they still haven't been marked as received. Does anyone have this same issue ?
I would most definitely contact the office at UC Davis ASAP. I submitted mine the same as you and was uploaded at the end of January. I have both contacted them by phone and email both of which have been replied to within a day or two.

Mary Rose Saint-Cyr
UC Postbaccalaureate Consortium
(916) 734-4084
[email protected]

Reactions: 1 user
What do you guys think would be considered a competitive science and cumulative GPA for this program? I haven't been able to find any stats on this.

What do you guys think would be considered a competitive science and cumulative GPA for this program? I haven't been able to find any stats on this.
This is just my personal opinion so take it with a grain of salt. These programs are designed for people who who have bad GPAs. If you had a competitive cumulative/science GPA, you would probably be med school bound. That being said, I think competitive stats are highly subjective for record enhancer post-baccs like these and what these admissions committees are looking for is people who are on a come back. By this I mean people who have a strong GPA within the last 1-2 years of their bachelors. They also want to admit people who after successful completion of their program are strong medical school applicants. With all this in consideration, if I had to give you a number it would be a 3.1-3.2.

Who's applying?

Everyone is talking about how the program is rolling admissions and submitting an application sooner works in your favor but when i contacted the program coordinator she told me that its not the case. As long as application is submitted on time all individuals will be granted a full review of their application/ have the same "chance" of being accepted. Im not sure if this alleviate any anxieties for others but it did definitely help me.

Last edited:
Well, that seems like bs! It explicitly states on their website that the program reviews apps on a rolling admissions basis (See answer to question 15 of their FAQs)
yea but i just called and talked to Mary and she said that all applications, as long as submitted by deadline, will receive the same equal review chance as those that were submitted earlier on.

Everyone is talking about how the program is rolling admissions and submitting an application sooner works in your favor but when i contacted the program coordinator she told me that its not the case. As long as application is submitted on time all individuals will be granted a full review of their application/ have the same "chance" of being accepted. Im not sure if this alleviate any anxieties for others but it did definitely help me.
That may be the case for Davis, but some of the programs do review on a rolling basis.

That may be the case for Davis, but some of the programs do review on a rolling basis.
Maybe, but Mary is the rep for UC consortium and not just for Davis. Im going to call her and double check again at the end of the week and will keep you all posted.

yea but i just called and talked to Mary and she said that all applications, as long as submitted by deadline, will receive the same equal review chance as those that were submitted earlier on.

I think interfolio takes 10 days to submit and then additional days for the consortium to process. We should make it by the deadline! If I may ask, how did everyone submit the confidentiality notices? I dropped mine in the mail.

Hi! I submitted my transcripts and some LORs before me actual application. Has anyone had a problem with this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe, but Mary is the rep for UC consortium and not just for Davis. Im going to call her and double check again at the end of the week and will keep you all posted.

They probably try to look at them but still have a rolling basis approach... Because just looking on the previous forums it really does look like is based on rolling admissions, because those who submitted earlier heard back sooner.. but with that said I'm sure they are still reading all applications

Hi! I submitted my transcripts and some LORs before me actual application. Has anyone had a problem with this?
I did the same! I just called Mary to ask since it's been more than 10 days since I submitted my actual app, but I submitted transcripts at the beginning of January. I'll update when I hear back from her

Nope, I had all mine submitted on 1/8 before my submission date 2/6 and it made things a lot smoother. My app was just marked complete yesterday, YAY!!!!!

Also, for reapplicants, I had my university submit all my LORs via a letter pack with my signed waver as I did for med school. It saved me from having to spend on interfolio.
Good luck everyone!

Hey guys! Just submitted my application today! They have all my documents except my transcript but I called in and was told my application will most likely be marked complete sometime next week :)

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know of ways I can send my Letters of Recommendation? From the post it seems like everyone is using interfolio to send theirs but there's a fee associated with that?

Does anyone know of ways I can send my Letters of Recommendation? From the post it seems like everyone is using interfolio to send theirs but there's a fee associated with that?
I sent mine in the mail and they got there very quickly. If you do that, make sure each letter has a confidentiality agreement with it. Each letter can be sealed and sent individually from the recommenders address, or you can collect all the sealed envelopes and send them together in a larger post.

Hi all! This is my first time posting here! My app was marked complete on 2/5. Super nervous, and can't wait to hear back! Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Hello everyone,
I'm a current UCSF post-bac student and happy to answer any questions any of you may have. I know that this could be a time filled with anxiety in questions, so feel free to shoot me a message or post on here.

Reactions: 5 users
Hello everyone,
I'm a current UCSF post-bac student and happy to answer any questions any of you may have. I know that this could be a time filled with anxiety in questions, so feel free to shoot me a message or post on here.

Thank you so much!! I hope your post-bacc experience is going well. How do you like the UCSF program? When did you hear back for an interview last year? I am anxiously waiting haha

Hello everyone,

Hi, can you tell us about the interview process? We're all awaiting any interview offers so if you could give us the details on how interviews are conducted, types of questions, etc. That would be appreciated!

Thank you so much!! I hope your post-bacc experience is going well. How do you like the UCSF program? When did you hear back for an interview last year? I am anxiously waiting haha

So my experience will differ from others you make ask, but I'll give you my thoughts on the program. If you are a person who is very independent and knowledgeable about the application process etc., this program can be very redundant at time. However, if you are someone who needs the additional help on the application process, personal statement, learning good study habits and the list can go on and on this program will be very helpful for you. In our cohort we have a mix of the two. You will meet some great people who all have interesting stories. The classes are taken at UC berkeley extension, which unfortunately has some not so good professors but the classes tend to be a lot easier then undergrad (in my opinion of course).

I was a re-applicant and my application was done very close to the deadline. I hear back for an interview in the first week of May and interviewed the last week of May (which was the last day). Program started a few weeks after.

Hi, can you tell us about the interview process? We're all awaiting any interview offers so if you could give us the details on how interviews are conducted, types of questions, etc. That would be appreciated!

At UCSF you have a pretty casual interview with the program director and assistant director (they are VERY nice) and will ask you the usual questions....Why medicine? Where do you see yourself working in the future? etc. etc. Be able to explain any problems in your application (for example if you had bad grades etc.) since this is a postbac, be able to explain your faults and what you want to improve and how. In general, the questions are very similar to a medical school interview.

Hi! Application confirmed on 2/7 and I'm excited to hear back soon! Here to give and receive some support :)

Reactions: 4 users
So my experience will differ from others you make ask, but I'll give you my thoughts on the program. If you are a person who is very independent and knowledgeable about the application process etc., this program can be very redundant at time. However, if you are someone who needs the additional help on the application process, personal statement, learning good study habits and the list can go on and on this program will be very helpful for you. In our cohort we have a mix of the two. You will meet some great people who all have interesting stories. The classes are taken at UC berkeley extension, which unfortunately has some not so good professors but the classes tend to be a lot easier then undergrad (in my opinion of course).

I was a re-applicant and my application was done very close to the deadline. I hear back for an interview in the first week of May and interviewed the last week of May (which was the last day). Program started a few weeks after.

Thank you so much for the insight! That helped a lot. One more question: are the classes at UCB Extension the same ones that the UCB post-bacc students are enrolled in? Or are there separate classes at UCB solely for UCSF post-baccs?

Hi all! This is my first time posting here! My app was marked complete on 2/5. Super nervous, and can't wait to hear back! Good luck to everyone!
Welcome and congrats on completing your app! :) Fingers crossed!!

UCI has begun sending out interviews. I believe first round of interviews begin week of March 12.

My application was finally marked complete ! Good luck everyone!

Thank you so much for the insight! That helped a lot. One more question: are the classes at UCB Extension the same ones that the UCB post-bacc students are enrolled in? Or are there separate classes at UCB solely for UCSF post-baccs?

The classes are with anyone who enrolls at classes at UC Berkeley extension not just UCSF post-bacs. However, you will have a lot of your classmates in classes and the class size is relatively small 20-40 students

UCI has begun sending out interviews. I believe first round of interviews begin week of March 12.
Ooohh thats so exciting! Keeping my fingers crossed! How did you know?

Applying, but having looked at everyone else credentials im 100% positive I won't get in. 3.22 overall gpa 3.62 science gpa. 0 volunteering hours other than a few work sponsored VA events, but im hoping my military service counts for something. If I don't get accepted this year around Ill probably head to a third world country and do some volunteering. Ive been talking with the Free Burma Rangers and it sounds interesting.

Applying, but having looked at everyone else credentials im 100% positive I won't get in. 3.22 overall gpa 3.62 science gpa. 0 volunteering hours other than a few work sponsored VA events, but im hoping my military service counts for something. If I don't get accepted this year around Ill probably head to a third world country and do some volunteering. Ive been talking with the Free Burma Rangers and it sounds interesting.
Your stats are fine, stop stressing. Good luck!

how do you all feel about applying to UCI even though they have the MCAT prep during spring quarter? I'm hesitant to apply because i don't want to wait an additional year before i can apply to med school.

Don't sweat it, you're way above the required minimum 2.7 GPA. Don't give up hope!!

Thanks everyone. But to be honest, I don't think anyone should put themselves higher or lower based on when they get an interview or even personal stats. As long as you meet the requirements for getting in, you should be fine. Think deeply as to why you want to be a doctor because that desire or lack thereof will manifest itself in the interview. I strongly believe that is the most important part of this process. The goal of these programs is to meet you where your at and build you into the best applicant you can be. Stay confident, stay motivated and more likely than not, everything will work itself out.

So I'm studying for the MCAT right now and I'm hoping to nail it out of the frickin park before the programs start (if I get in). I'm planning on applying this summer but that might be subject to change. If I get into UCI, my hope is to be done with the program after winter quarter, which will leave me plenty time to evaluate or possibly be interviewing.

Reactions: 6 users

Congrats on your interview. Wishing you the best. UCI is so fast with their process. Wishing everyone good luck as well

Got an invite to interview with UCI today :)

Reactions: 6 users
Hi everyone,

I got an interview offer this Monday and it was set for March 15 or 19th.