1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

UC Davis is dumb!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Smile'n'Wink MD, Mar 15, 2004.

1. I'm so disapointed in the date that UC Davis has chosen for it's re-vist weekend. It falls right on Good Friday and that Easter weekend. I really wanted to get a better feel for the school, but can't b/c they chose this really bad weekend...did they not know?!? I heard they provide a nice dinner and you get to meet the faculty.

Anybody else in the same bind?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. fullefect1

fullefect1 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Is the reason you can not attend because of attending church? I am sure they have a local parish around the schools area.

4. Pinkertinkle

Pinkertinkle 2003 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's called separation of church and state, son.

5. Part of it is church, the other is family gatherings. I'm in charge of a few church functions that weekend in addition to getting ready for all the family that's coming in to celebrate Easter.

I just wish they didn't choose this weekend...beyond the religous aspect, it's a family holiday as well.

6. LoneCoyote

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree that it is not the best weekend. It doesn't really bother me since I'm not that religious and my family is close by, but I know it is not a good time for other people. I do wonder why they picked that date... who knows. Anyway, I will be attending the 2nd look and if they give an exit survey like the did at the interview I'll mention that the date was not the best.

7. UCSBMed1

UCSBMed1 SoCal Hater
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Straight from the horses' mouth:

We talked to Ed about that, and he said that they chose that weekend because all the surrounding weekends conflicted with other schools' re-visit weekends (SF, SD, Irvine, Stanford) and they didn't want people to have to chose which school to go to.

May was too late, so Easter weekend it was. Of course I'll be in Nawlens that weekend, anyway...;)

Have fun!

8. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    very reasonable...regardless of religion...my mom would prolly smack me if i didnt go :laugh:

9. dynx

dynx Yankee Imperialist
    15+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Get back to studying you slacker!

10. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

Wow is that a normal thing for Korean moms to do???

11. celticmists18

celticmists18 california dreaming
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Family gatherings . . . actually celebrating Easter, hmmmm. I don't know what college you went to but I was always at school over Easter (or heading back on Easter). Go look at the school, your family will forgive you.

12. I've always had a healthy balance between school, church and family. I mean, I did make it into a couple great schools and feel like I had a life.

I can't get out of my Easter plans because everything's been set. UCD should have thought more ahead and set the date FIRST so it didn't conflict with other schools. Oh well, for those who are going....let me know how it goes!! Thanks LoneCoyote for submitting that feedback.

13. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    haha hella common...shes old skool man.

14. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

Just make sure she doesn't got crazy and turn you into Kalbi one of these days...;)

15. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    id be tasty tho...:D

16. UCSBMed1

UCSBMed1 SoCal Hater
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I know, I know...back to Biochem... :)

17. MErc44

MErc44 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    \

Did 108B with Lew prepare you in anyway at all for biochem

18. lessismoe

lessismoe Momma to Ronan
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This has nothing to do with the original post, but it kind of fits under the title...

And, as an alum from UCD undergrad and a soon-to-be c/o 2008 UCD med student, let me preface this by saying that I do love UCD...

I just heard on the news that the undergrad admissions office mistakenly sent out 6000 emails to undergrad applicants saying that they had ALL gotten the Regents Scholarship!!! They were SUPPOSED to send out notices that the students were merely accepted! :eek:

Hahaha, on that note, anyone know how much fin. aid help UCD med students get, or how much tuition will be next year yet... :laugh:

19. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    no exact figure on the fees for the uc schools yet...just know it can get as high as 28K.

when are they supposed to have an exact figure?

20. LoneCoyote

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    who knows... call your assembly member and senator and ask them when the budget will be ready. hopefully by july?!? :mad:
    i wonder if they give the uc's a heads-up though on what is going to be happening. but i suspect it won't until after may when the revised budget #'s come in the state really knows what they are dealing with.... it's annoying. when do we have to give them the first payment for tuition?

21. LoneCoyote

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I work at the Capitol so I was there, stopped by and checked it out on my lunch break. It was a community college march. They did it last year and it was VERY effective at getting the JCs more funding. So yeah, we should all unite and make some noise about this since the budget hearings are all going on right now. And there is a lawsuit by some UC groups to get the car tax repealed in the courts. It's pretty interesting times...