UC Davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok I sent them an email a little while ago, I have no clue the normal going of Financial Aid since despite parents not paying for school I had to use their income anyways in the FAFSA. I'm less stressed now that someone else has the same thing as theres and its not just mine.

Members don't see this ad.

Mine says I don't have any financial aid yet also! I think they can't assign us a financial aid amount until they know if we are in/out of state students, according to the statement of legal residence form, which I haven't turned in yet. I will turn it in as soon as they send me my SID (I already emailed Kim for it) Davis can be really frustrating!!:laugh:

Mine says I don't have any financial aid yet also! I think they can't assign us a financial aid amount until they know if we are in/out of state students, according to the statement of legal residence form, which I haven't turned in yet. I will turn it in as soon as they send me my SID (I already emailed Kim for it) Davis can be really frustrating!!:laugh:

I wish that were true, but I already got confirmation that I am being classified as a resident. Who knows...they might just be disorganized :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Where does it say what you are being classified as? They finally got my information up so thats a relief.

I got an email regarding my resident status.

Just got an email about student ID numbers and a variety of other updates.

From the email: "You will receive an email from the Financial Aid Office notifying you when your financial aid has been packaged and is ready to view."

And about the computers: "
The School is pleased to provide each entering student a $750 scholarship from the Theodora Peigh Scholarship and the Jackson Scholarship in partial support of purchasing required computing equipment. These scholarships will be fully disbursed at the beginning of Fall Quarter. The cost of computing equipment will be approximately $2,200 (minus $750 = ~ $1,400) for the Tablet PC and approximately $1,400 (minus $750 = ~ $650) for the MacBook. Payment for the entire amount is required at the time of purchase prior to Fall Quarter. This computing cost is included in the "Books and Supplies" category of the financial aid student expense budget. You will receive an email from the School's computing unit (CATS) with detailed information about purchasing your computer."

So we have to pay $2,200 in full before being reimbursed $750 for the tablets.

When I called to ask for my ID number, both times I got a recording saying they were in a meeting.
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who doesn't have their ID number yet. I was waiting to turn in the Residence form, but I just wrote "unknown" and faxed it in about an hour ago - that way I can white it out and re-fax it if I need to.

Unrelated question - but does anyone know what the class schedule is like for V1? There is a thread where people from other schools are posting, but I didn't know if we had any info yet or if current V1 students might be able to explain.
Thanks!

Damn, I totally forgot about to send in my statement of legal residence! According to the website it's due on 6/1....my stupidity....
Even if I send mail it first thing tomorrow, registrar won't get it until Wed or Thu...:scared: Do you think they'll still take my statement?

Damn, I totally forgot about to send in my statement of legal residence! According to the website it's due on 6/1....my stupidity....
Even if I send mail it first thing tomorrow, registrar won't get it until Wed or Thu...:scared: Do you think they'll still take my statement?

I don't think that will be a problem. Kim O'Bryan said she let the registrar office know about the delay in us getting our student ID numbers, so they expect the residence statements to be a few days late.

Thanks for the info, binkyfl! So we are supposed to wait until we get our SID# before we send the statement in?

Do you think that since I faxed mine its ok or should I mail them a copy as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Unrelated question - but does anyone know what the class schedule is like for V1? There is a thread where people from other schools are posting, but I didn't know if we had any info yet or if current V1 students might be able to explain.
Thanks!

Sorry for the delay in responses...we're all swamped with the end of the quarter.

Generally, you have lecture in the morning and lab in the afternoon with some few anomalies. Lectures usually start between 8 and 10 (9 is average). Class either goes till noon or 1. Then you have an hour lunch break and lab for 3 hours (usually). Some days you'll have no lab in the afternoon. Sometimes there's a discussion instead of lecture or lab. Depends. Plus, you'll basically have no class meeting at any regularly scheduled time, so get used to checking your calendar religiously. The only regular class we had was P-Chem fall quarter. Every single day at 11am, even when you had an exam in P-Chem that morning. Delightful.

In fall quarter, we seemed to have maybe 2 afternoons off per week. Winter quarter we were lucky when we got one afternoon off per week. Spring quarter we've really averaged 2-3 afternoons off most weeks. But that's somewhat offset by starting to take electives, which at least in the first year usually meet from 5-6pm. Still, spring has felt like it's had much less classroom time than winter quarter.

Hmm...not sure how else to sum it up other than that. Any further schedule questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks for the info, binkyfl! So we are supposed to wait until we get our SID# before we send the statement in?

That's what Kim O'Bryan said on Facebook a few weeks back. However, I'd definitely e-mail her and ask her to be safe. You can always just send it in without the ID number and then re-send it once you have it...

Do you think that since I faxed mine its ok or should I mail them a copy as well?

I'd call and ask. I know there was a fax number on the form, but I don't remember faxing it in being an option? Maybe someone else knows...

Generally, you have lecture in the morning and lab in the afternoon with some few anomalies. Lectures usually start between 8 and 10 (9 is average). Class either goes till noon or 1. Then you have an hour lunch break and lab for 3 hours (usually).

Thanks for the info, VAgirl! So it sounds like we should just basically assume we'll be in class/lab from 8-5 each day, with a few random afternoons off thrown in here and there. Of course, I'm not including the extra hours of study/anatomy lab time...

As much as I just want to enjoy my summer before school starts, I'm still eager to learn more about the class schedule. Mental preparation, I guess?

I re-emailed Kim today asking about my SID, and she answered back saying she was working on it because I have two numbers in the system:scared: (due to also being accepted to the Animal Biology masters program for next year, which I declined)

I hope this can get figured out soon, I am anxious to turn in my residency form!! I will try to go to the registration office today and make sure they know that I am NOT going into a masters next year!!

I re-emailed Kim today asking about my SID, and she answered back saying she was working on it because I have two numbers in the system:scared: (due to also being accepted to the Animal Biology masters program for next year, which I declined)

Last year when I was accepted into the Animal Biology MS late after being rejected post-interview for the DVM, the registrar's office had a heck of a time with me too. For whatever reason, they initially had classified me as an entering DVM student rather than an entering MS student, so I was added to the class mailing lists and my Sisweb information had me down as a DVM student. I couldn't register for my research hours! What a tease, eh? :laugh:

(obviously I got it straightened out, though my student ID card still says Vet Med Student instead of Graduate Student, even though I got it way after the issue was resolved!)

Anyone else hear anything about residency classification? I turned mine in way back in April because when I went to the registrar's in person the lady at the desk typed in my SSN and pulled up a student ID number for me, which was the same one I got from Kim a few days ago. So she took my form. I called after I got my number from Kim to double check and they said that my form is still fine and associated with my name but that they were still sorting through residency stuff for last spring, which I though was really weird considering the school year is over... and that they don't know when the are going to get back to us...:rolleyes:

which I though was really weird considering the school year is over...

Sorry, I didn't read your post carefully, so I don't know if Davis' excuses for being slow are valid. But keep in mind that we just finished finals last week, most people on Wednesday, some on Thursday. The school is still working on getting grades out. Graduation was this past weekend. And the new fourth years just did their orientation and started clinics today.

I have no idea what of this if any is taken care of by the office that you guys are dealing with (I don't really keep track). But it's not a bad idea to keep in mind that the administration legitimately has a lot of stuff going on right now.

I know that some people have gotten emails about their residency status... but did anyone not get a reply at all?

Faxed and snail mailed mine in a few weeks ago and still nothing...

I haven't gotten anything from them yet, I faxed mine and called to double check they received it and they said they had.

I have not heard from them about my ID, and I faxed my forms in June 5th.

The last I heard was they had lost my SLR 2nd page (signature page) and wanted me to scan/email it. Of course at the time I had no access to a scanner so I just redid it and sent it in snail mail.... I emailed Joanne on Friday to see if she's received it yet, so that I can get scanner access this week if needed. Really hoping I don't have to, though!

Anyone received a Financial Aid package yet? My impression is that all of the Davis paperwork is going to take a lonnnnnng time and that even if we don't hear anything for a while it is probably just UC bureaucracy tying things up and not a problem... I did my FAFSA pretty late in the game and then there was this problem with my SLR so I have a feeling it will take them a while to sort my stuff out. :xf:!

Last year when I was accepted into the Animal Biology MS late after being rejected post-interview for the DVM, the registrar's office had a heck of a time with me too. For whatever reason, they initially had classified me as an entering DVM student rather than an entering MS student, so I was added to the class mailing lists and my Sisweb information had me down as a DVM student. I couldn't register for my research hours! What a tease, eh? :laugh:

(obviously I got it straightened out, though my student ID card still says Vet Med Student instead of Graduate Student, even though I got it way after the issue was resolved!)

How is the Animal Biology MS program at davis? I am looking into applying for my masters at different UC schools (im instate) just in case i dont get in again this year so I have somewhere to go and I came across this one.

Hey JKIM02, someone will step in and correct me if I'm wrong here, but at least for me applying so late, they wouldn't take me unless I had a professor already willing to serve as my major professor, and it says on their site that even if applying by the deadline they encourage you to contact professors, so if you are interested in it I'd say you should start looking into people you would want to research with now.

Program's fine, you get a lot of freedom and flexibility in your coursework and research. They will want a 2 year commitment, so you can't reapply to vet school during your first year and have to wait until after it. They're decent about funding MS students if you get it in by the deadline.

Has anyone logged into the Financial Aid Office web page and noticed unmet requirements? I've never gotten an e-mail or notification about this... but I suddenly noticed a link to requirements... and I haven't met them all! Things like a Verification Worksheet, "Student selected for verification by UC Davis", and my Federal Income Tax Return. Does anyone else see these requirements? :confused:

Has anyone logged into the Financial Aid Office web page and noticed unmet requirements? I've never gotten an e-mail or notification about this... but I suddenly noticed a link to requirements... and I haven't met them all! Things like a Verification Worksheet, "Student selected for verification by UC Davis", and my Federal Income Tax Return. Does anyone else see these requirements? :confused:

Yeah, I just noticed that yesterday. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one!

Yeah, it makes me sort of nervous, but the only instructions we got were to submit the FAFSA and then wait until we were told to submit more paperwork, right????

LOL, I just found out that the UC Davis computer assigned me two different student ID's, so financial aid has me down for one ID and the registrar has me down for another!! I may or may not be the only person this is happening to-- but they said they'll try to figure it out by July 15. And theoretically (they said) it won't affect my financial aid awards!

Yeah, I also had unmet requirements. For me, it was just a tax return and a form that I ended up faxing to Jay Conner. My requirements have been complete for a couple of weeks now and still no word on financial aid... so I don't think you guys really missed out on much. :hungover:

Has anyone heard when they expect to have our financial aid packages ready??

Has anyone heard when they expect to have our financial aid packages ready??

Well, at first they said it was the end of June but now that's turned into the end of July... Perhaps they are sorting through some sort of chaos with all the budget cuts? I don't know but I would love to find out so that I can figure out if I can manage to buy some kind of bucket to get around in... and to determine how much of a hoopdie it will have to be! :p

Yeah, I also had unmet requirements. For me, it was just a tax return and a form that I ended up faxing to Jay Conner. My requirements have been complete for a couple of weeks now and still no word on financial aid... so I don't think you guys really missed out on much. :hungover:

Did they ever contact you about these requirements or did you just notice it on the website & turn in the paperwork? Seems weird they never let us know about these reqs... :p

Did they ever contact you about these requirements or did you just notice it on the website & turn in the paperwork? Seems weird they never let us know about these reqs... :p

wasn't contacted at all... just noticed it. I was thinking of posting a heads-up on SDN about it but figured it was only me (guess I should have!)

Well, at first they said it was the end of June but now that's turned into the end of July... Perhaps they are sorting through some sort of chaos with all the budget cuts? I don't know but I would love to find out so that I can figure out if I can manage to buy some kind of bucket to get around in... and to determine how much of a hoopdie it will have to be! :p

Yup, I need to get a car before the school year starts, too! :) It's stressful not knowing EXACTLY what we're dealing with re financial aid...

I guess that's still better than where I stand. I haven't gotten any e-mail regarding my residency status, and my financial aid page still simply says my package is not ready.

I just checked my "my rewards" page and I also need to submit those documents, and when I checked my page a few days ago it didn't say so:confused: I wish Davis was more together about telling us what to do, we are getting very little help from them other that "be sure to check the website for details"!

I wish Davis was more together about telling us what to do, we are getting very little help from them other that "be sure to check the website for details"!

Not to be a downer, but that's pretty much the way it went last year, too. We started orientation, and we were all like, "FINALLY! We'll get some answers to our questions about books and courses and such." And they never mentioned anything about it until classes started. Orientation was entirely focused on getting to know people, working together in groups, etc. Not really an "orientation" at all. So frustrating.

So I obviously can't help re: financial aid. But if you guys have other burning questions I'd be happy to try to help.

Hopefully they will post financial aid stuff soon. I had the same reqs posted a couple weeks ago and sent the stuff in and is now marked satisfied bit still haven't heard anything on residency either and I called and confirmed they received it June 2nd

On An exciting note my computer came today. My extra stylus was backordered along with another extra I ordered. I got to see my roommates (he's c/o 2012) and it seems really awesome. I'm moved up to Davis already and have been keeping myself busy by running to campus every morning and am volunteering at the mercer clinic Saturday and fixing our ferals Sunday when is everyone else moving up?

I was hoping to move the 16th, but I think I'm starting my rabies series soon, which would mean the 3rd vaccine is the 19th, so I guess after that.

I expect to be driving the moving truck up on August 24, but that's just an estimate.

Speaking of rabies vaccine, is anyone else planning to do it through the student health center?

Speaking of rabies vaccine, is anyone else planning to do it through the student health center?

I am. My current insurance won't cover it and the discount through Student Health is too good to pass up.

Ugh, I'm moving to Davis Aug 31st, too! Wish it could be earlier and wish orientation didn't start Sept 1st...it would nice to get semi settled in before all the craziness starts!

VAGirl, I have a question for you: Do you remember when they allowed you log into CERE to view specific curricular info? My login/pass aren't "authorized" yet for that site... I know UCD upperclassmen keep reassuring us to not worry about our class times, but it really would help me to know before classes start; I have an infant son and schedules are pretty important around our house!

Just spoke to Jay in Fin Aid: He said we can expect to receive our awards within the next two weeks. More waiting, but at least it's nice to have a little better idea of when we can view them...

VAGirl, I have a question for you: Do you remember when they allowed you log into CERE to view specific curricular info? My login/pass aren't "authorized" yet for that site... I know UCD upperclassmen keep reassuring us to not worry about our class times, but it really would help me to know before classes start; I have an infant son and schedules are pretty important around our house!

Hm...I don't remember exactly, but I arrived in early August, and I feel like I could access CERE starting then for sure. I don't remember looking at the schedules, but they may have been up, I just might not have been looking.

The other thing that you could try is emailing Erin Seay [email protected]. She's the lady responsible for scheduling, so may be able to direct you to a copy of it online or send you a copy or something. I'm pretty sure the schedule should be finalized, it's just a matter of accessing it.

Hey guys,

I'm putting this in a separate post because I think it's really important. At the end of this past year, our class had a "debriefing" with Dr. Ilkiw where we provided feedback on the year and discussed things that we thought went well as well as things we didn't like.

One of the most startling things to me that came out of the session was that we had actually had much more control over things than any of us had realized (theoretically), and I wished we had known that from the beginning of the year. For example, starting winter quarter and continuing through spring, we pretty much always had exams on Monday mornings. Some people in our class liked that, but a lot of us hated it as it seemed to consume the entirety of our weekends and made it feel like we never had breaks from school. (My opinion, obviously.) The other side liked it for the extra study time. Anyway, we found out at the debriefing session that, if our class had taken a vote and there had been a majority opinion against Monday exams, we could have gone to Dr. Ilkiw and Erin Seay and they could have changed it for future quarters (if those future quarters' schedules hadn't already been set).

That's just one example. Another is that during spring quarter, our final exams were pretty spread out. We had 1-2 of them 2 weeks before finals week, 2 of them the week before finals week, and 3 of them during finals week. In contrast, during winter we had something like 5 exams in one week. Again, some people liked one way and some people liked the other way. But the take home message was that if our class had a preference, the administration would attempt to organize it that way if we communicated that information to them.

So just be thinking about this and make sure your class presidents know. If there's something you guys don't like, take a vote (there is a Poll Tool on CERE where you can make and vote on polls), and then communicate your desires to the admin. Seems like you may be able to change more things than you think.

I may be missing something but...What is CERE and how do I access the web site? Thanks!