UC Davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i'm the guy who posted about living in winters.

would you like to have a phone conversation about potentially living together - i could lease the third br from you.

i have not totally solidified my spot in winters, and would consider living with you if it was cheaper.

you can pm me for my phone number or just forward yours. i am off work today.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I emailed the school with a question about the mac computer and I thought I would share the question/response.

My question was: "...Are the specs listed for the macbook current/final? Or is there a possibility that we will be getting the 2.4 GHz (newer) version of the macbook with the illuminated keyboard?"

Answer (from Chris Brandt): "...We are still finalizing our plans for the MacBook. I'm hoping that there will be a processor bump at the 'mid' grade level and/or price drop before July."

(I'm really hoping for the faster processor and illuminated keyboard) :)

Thanks for your interest, but my roomate and I would like to find another lady to occupy the 3rd room. I sure wish you were not a guy so I don't have to search no more! ;)

We found a townhouse that we really like, so I think we'll take it before we can find another roomate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I emailed the school with a question about the mac computer and I thought I would share the question/response.

My question was: "...Are the specs listed for the macbook current/final? Or is there a possibility that we will be getting the 2.4 GHz (newer) version of the macbook with the illuminated keyboard?"

Answer (from Chris Brandt): "...We are still finalizing our plans for the MacBook. I'm hoping that there will be a processor bump at the 'mid' grade level and/or price drop before July."

(I'm really hoping for the faster processor and illuminated keyboard) :)

i have not yet replied to the acceptance email because i am struggling between the mac and pc option. i have always used mac, and aside from the aesthetic, i appreciate the spotlight search, the security (i.e. lack of virus/need to run scans), and my comfort level with the os.

does anyone happen to know the price difference between the two - even if only approximate?

i know that we can purchase a usb tablet to accompany the mac. i realize that the pc tablet comes with an integrated tablet. i don't mind the usb plug in, though.

anyone else have any thoughts between the two computers?

i am told that we can switch our preference before we complete the transaction, so our decision in our reply to the acceptance isn't necessarily set in stone.

anyone else have any thoughts between the two computers?

i am told that we can switch our preference before we complete the transaction, so our decision in our reply to the acceptance isn't necessarily set in stone.

I just spoke with a girl in my class who was a mac user before school, got the PC, and is unhappy with it. Only one example, but it matches my new current theory. I think that if you really want the table PC, then you'll be willing to put up with some of the annoyances that come with the PC that UC Davis has selected for us. If you're on the fence about it, I think that all of the little things that go wrong with the PC might drive you to distraction. Just my theory.

Plus, if you're cool with an external tablet and like macs generally, I'm not sure what the PC benefit would be.

So on the computer info site we can link to on the Welcome Class of 2013 website, it says that the tablet will be about 2200 and the mac about 1400, but they expect that we will receive some scholarship money to offset that, about $750.

About a year and a half ago I bought a different Toshiba tablet, one that retailed for significantly more but I found online for supercheap (relatively speaking, came to 1800, after I added the comprehensive three year toshiba warranty with accident protection which was $300 itself), came with Vista, 2gig ram all the good stuff. I aboslutely loved it for my senior year of college. I feel like it helped me save a ton of paper and helped get super organized, plus writing on powerpoint slides was fantastic. One note did lock up occasionally, but I have had absolutely no significant issues with it.

That being said... for Davis, I am going to order the mac, because I already have a tablet, and for 800 bucks less get a mac with the scholarship, is a sweet deal. I was researching the WACOM plug in tablet for the mac and they seem pretty cool, with a ton of options and functions. And the most you would spend for one would be about $300, so you are still saving on the tablet.

Anyway that is where I am in regards to the computer. Good luck choosing!!

I totally agree with VA girl. I also think your personality has a lot to do with it.

I am a mac user and there are times at work (lab) when I have to suck it up and use a pc. Within 5 minutes I am completely pissed off and in a foul mood for the rest of the day. :mad: This is not a personal attack on PCs, it is a personality thing. So Efab, since you have been using a mac, you should sit down and navigate on a PC for a while to see if it affects your mood at all. If it bothers you then I would recommend sticking with what you are comfortable. If you don't get irritated at all the little differences between the two operating systems, then I say go with the tablet.

Hope this helps you with your decision.

Not that it's a huge deal - I'm just wondering if there is another gay male or female who is looking for housing at Davis.

So on the computer info site we can link to on the Welcome Class of 2013 website, it says that the tablet will be about 2200 and the mac about 1400, but they expect that we will receive some scholarship money to offset that, about $750.

That being said... for Davis, I am going to order the mac, because I already have a tablet, and for 800 bucks less get a mac with the scholarship, is a sweet deal. I was researching the WACOM plug in tablet for the mac and they seem pretty cool, with a ton of options and functions. And the most you would spend for one would be about $300, so you are still saving on the tablet.

DangerK - A few years ago I was converted to Mac, and I really don't want to go back to PC if I can avoid it. I signed up for the PC tablet because it can do more than the Mac can, but if there is a plug in that supplements the functions of the Mac so that it can do the same things as the PC, I would stick with the Mac. Where can I find this plug in online?
THANK YOU!! :D

Wacom also makes a cheaper line of tablets called Bamboo. I own one for use w/my Mac and it's great, and only cost $99. However, it's kind of small and may not be appropriate for use during vet school for that reason. I'm in a similar situation with UIUC; I refuse to buy a PC tablet, but it's highly recommended... it might be a pain in the butt to carry around a separate plug-in tablet, but it's still better than spending $2000 on a crappy PC! :p

Hey StayingHopeful,
The website is http://www.wacom.com/index2.php

It is really informative with little videos about the different options. I was looking a the Intuos4, which is more expensive than the bamboo but comes in small ($229) and medium ($349). the small is only slightly bigger than the bamboo so like DocDVMD said maybe a medium would be better...my next project is to try to find a place to try all these out...
There are so many options though! even the bamboo fun comes in medium and four different colors. hmmm...wacom should be paying me or this :)

They do weigh 1.5 to 2.5 pounds more so not back breaking but could be a concern for some... and you would need more workspace to have your laptop out and the tablet, it can just fold over like the tablet pc...which wouldn't be a problem in lecture but maybe in lab, would we even have computers out in lab?? so many things to consider! If I do remember vaguely, a couple of the panel members at the interviewee orientation said they have macs with the plug in tablets and they really like it.

Just a positive comment about wacom tablets... I've had a graphire 6x8 for almost four years, and it is still going strong. I even use the pen instead of a mouse, so it has literally been in constant use for all of that time. Super durable.

However, I have had to replace the pen once, and I'm currently using my secondary tablet because I stepped on my replacement. (rolled off my desk onto the floor... ._.) So if you get a tablet, I'd definitely suggest also grabbing a replacement pen for those sort of mishaps.

I really wouldn't want to cart around my tablet in addition to my laptop, however... that would seem to be a bit of a pain. Make sure you know what you're getting yourself into if you take that route. :)

oops sorry, I meant it can't just fold over like the tablet PC... that makes much more sense. haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Not that it's a huge deal - I'm just wondering if there is another gay male or female who is looking for housing at Davis.

Me!
But my undergrad experience with roommates was horrible, so I've decided to live by myself.

For those who are also looking for studios, hurry! New transfer students will soon (or are starting to) get their acceptance letters, and I heard from a housing manager that the demand for studios is going to increase very soon. :scared:

I have finally found a place to live in Davis. My ex- and soon-to-be future roomate is a graduate student in forensic science. We are looking for another female roomate to occupy the only downstair bedroom. It's a nice townhouse very close to campus. It's located near the Russel blvd exit of 113 freeway.
The downstairs bedroom is right across the downstairs bathroom, so it's almost like having your own bathroom. The townhouse has a small, enclosed patio, and there is a parking lot for the tenants. There is a washer-dryer hookup in the upstairs bathroom. The total rent is $1675, so each person will pay $558/month + utilities (water and trash covered in rent). The security deposit is $1000 total, but we also have to pay first and last month's rent upfront. There is an application fee of $30 per person for credit check. The landlord says she would allow cats for an additional $300 pet deposit, no kitten allowed tho.
Please send me a message if you are interested! I will show you some pictures of the townhouse.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Geez! Why do I always forget a piece of information when I post!

Last edited:
as far as the tablet conversation goes... if you NEED a tablet and you're a mac user, have you checked out Axiotron?

They sell modbooks... macbooks that they've reengineered into tablets.
You can buy a new one from them, or send them you macbook and have they mod it for you.

Not necessarily the cheapest option, but a lot of the PC tablets don't sound that cheap either.

I can't speak for it, and I know that it's not a convertible (you can't open it up to access a keyboard... it's all touchscreen), but if you're willing to put up with that (you can always hook it up to a keyboard if ur in your room) it might be viable.

Last edited:
Congrats WildZooVet! I knew you'd be joining us!

Can't wait for good news from JustCats!!!

Last edited:
I'm so excited for you WildZooVet!!! :D
Now lets see the other waitlisted SDNers get in too! :xf::luck::xf:

Congratulations - I know you really wanted to get in!

I sure hope so. :biglove::luck:

And why the heck did Yasmin leave for the day? I wonder if I could offer her a retainer to stay there 24/7 until a spot opens for me.

:soexcited::soexcited:I'M IN!!!:soexcited::soexcited:

JustCats they are coming for you next.:biglove:

Last edited:
The Class of 2013 is filled. It turns out I was #4 on the waiting list and not #3, and #3 on the waiting list filled the class. :(

I'll be waiting in the wings in case someone changes their mind.

Wow, that's so disappointing! Nevertheless, I have a good feeling that a spot will open up for you JustCats! Afterall, if they normally go through 7+ of the waitlisters, I am sure some of them don't get called right away like with WildZooVet.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for you! :xf:

JustCats, don't lose hope. It's only the 16th and I bet as other people get offered spaces at other school, one more spot will open up.

I totally understand the frustration of being the first one to not make it, but, I have a feeling I will definitely be seeing you in the fall. :)

:xf::luck::xf:

:laugh: I didn't think of it that way! You really DO know the frustration of being the first one to not make it. It was way easier being #3--or being #4 and thinking I was #3. Now I know exactly how you felt.

JustCats, don't lose hope. It's only the 16th and I bet as other people get offered spaces at other school, one more spot will open up.

I totally understand the frustration of being the first one to not make it, but, I have a feeling I will definitely be seeing you in the fall. :)

:xf::luck::xf:

JustCats, I really wish you the best of luck, and hopefully you will get a spot!!!

I'm not giving up hope on you, JustCats!!!!
I'm sure atleast 1 person will get offered a spot off of the waitlist at their dreamschool (although I can't imagine UC Davis not being their dreamschool ;) jk) and will withdraw within the next month or so.

There's always Cornell too!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I got a call from Yasmin this morning. She really is nice and she delivers bad news in a way that makes you feel good about it. (And I think she does check in on the Davis thread because SDN screen names, but that in no way influenced or diminishes my previous compliment.) :)

Anyway, #3 has not made up her mind yet and she has until Monday. So Tuesday I'll know whether or not they can take me. Let's all cross our fingers that whatever is making her waver is a wonderful opportunity that she decides she can't pass up. :xf:

There's always Cornell too!!!!

I decided Davis is really the school for me KittyRex, just as you did. The shelter medicine program really can't be beat. I was at the Animal Care Expo last week in Vegas and after years of using the Shelter Medicine Portal, I finally got to see Dr. Hurley speak. She was wonderful and completely won me over! I would love the opportunity to be at Davis learning from her.

ShelterURIGirl--I also got some insight on the things we'd PM'd about. I'll PM you again when I get a chance.

I visited Davis today, and sat in on the first years' classes in the morning and went on a tour of the teaching hospital in the afternoon. I was really impressed. I've never been to Davis before, and it was pretty amazing. The hospital is huge. The tour we went on took about three hours. The classes were pretty interesting, too. I really enjoyed the parasitology class. Does that make me a geek? :laugh: My undergrad offers a parasitology class, and now I'm really excited to take it. Watch me hate when I actually take it. :p

Also, I'm excited about going to Picnic Day tomorrow. :)

I visited Davis today, and sat in on the first years' classes in the morning and went on a tour of the teaching hospital in the afternoon. I was really impressed. I've never been to Davis before, and it was pretty amazing. The hospital is huge. The tour we went on took about three hours. The classes were pretty interesting, too. I really enjoyed the parasitology class. Does that make me a geek? :laugh: My undergrad offers a parasitology class, and now I'm really excited to take it. Watch me hate when I actually take it. :p

Also, I'm excited about going to Picnic Day tomorrow. :)

When was your tour? I was there this afternoon as well.

So what do you think about coming to UCD now?

It was nice, I only saw the teaching hospital and was disappointed we didn't get to see the sports medicine clinic. Not having the surgery suite/recover room combo in the equine portion was kind of disappointing. THat and some of the barns I looked at for my horses were down right terrifying. My trip was a last minute thing but Im going to drive back up in a couple of weeks to look at some other barns in the area.

It was nice, I only saw the teaching hospital and was disappointed we didn't get to see the sports medicine clinic. Not having the surgery suite/recover room combo in the equine portion was kind of disappointing. THat and some of the barns I looked at for my horses were down right terrifying. My trip was a last minute thing but Im going to drive back up in a couple of weeks to look at some other barns in the area.

GeeQued,
Just so you know, I can completely relate to the horrifying barns in Davis. I went through the same thing when I moved here 2 years ago. I think I looked at every barn in Davis...there is 1 nice one, but the owner is irrational and the cost of board is outrageous (and the owner expects you to do things that should be included when board is so high). I ended up finding a place in Dixon (close to Vacaville). Unfortunately it is a 30 minute drive, but it's worth the peace of mind (and my horses get turned out for 9 hours every day...which won't happen anywhere in Davis). Good luck with the barn hunt, send me a message if you want any specifics (I will likely be moving this summer since I started out as #11 on the UCD waitlist, so the stalls at my barn are probably opening up).

Oh then we were on the same tour with Kate then
Ohh, I take it you were the one asking for advice about first year things?

I was the one in the red shirt who kept holding doors for people.

Ohh, I take it you were the one asking for advice about first year things?

I was the one in the red shirt who kept holding doors for people.
Yep that was me. When are you applying? Theres a thread called Application Booklet that has a link to a page to download a packet I made and should be helpful to most applicants.

Yep that was me. When are you applying? Theres a thread called Application Booklet that has a link to a page to download a packet I made and should be helpful to most applicants.
Not for at least two years, I think. But my club made the trip, and I wanted to go. I think it was worth it. We went to Western last year, so we got to talk about some of the differences that we remembered.

I saw that thread, but didn't get the chance to download the link over the weekend. It seems like it's super helpful. Thanks for reminding me, I'm gonna go check it out right now.

GeeQued,
Just so you know, I can completely relate to the horrifying barns in Davis. I went through the same thing when I moved here 2 years ago. I think I looked at every barn in Davis...there is 1 nice one, but the owner is irrational and the cost of board is outrageous (and the owner expects you to do things that should be included when board is so high). I ended up finding a place in Dixon (close to Vacaville). Unfortunately it is a 30 minute drive, but it's worth the peace of mind (and my horses get turned out for 9 hours every day...which won't happen anywhere in Davis). Good luck with the barn hunt, send me a message if you want any specifics (I will likely be moving this summer since I started out as #11 on the UCD waitlist, so the stalls at my barn are probably opening up).

Yeah the ones I went to were just plain horrifying. When I got back I was going to look at flying horse and then Willow Creek among every other one within like a 30 mile radius. I saw one in Dixon on the list of barns I got from the Davis Equestrian center. I liked the Davis equestrian center but I refuse to be forced to wear a helmet except when I'm going over fences and I can only keep one horse there so thats out.

Have you heard any good/bad about Flying Horse or willow creek. I know Flying horse is a little expensive but the turn them out 4 days a week which I have to pay someone to do right now. Willow creek seemed nice. I have a western all around horse and then a wanna be jumper (Bred to jump by a 5x world champion jumping horse, loves to jump and excels at it but is only 15.1 .2 on a good day) but most places seemed to be very hunter oriented so IDK if they'll want my little western horses there LOL

I'll PM you when I go to go back up and look so I can get the name of where your at, Id probably only ride Sat/Sun and then one or 2 days during the week so a drive isnt out of the question especially if they turn them out.

Flying Horse is one of the only places I'd consider keeping my horses (LOL if I still had any, that is.) The arenas are a tad small if you're jumping-- and a lot of people there do jump so if you don't like sharing areas with jumping riders I don't know if that would be a problem, but it is one of the nicer facilities in the area for sure. Plus they have all kinds of different trainers who clinic there, and it's not toooo far away. And the turnouts are NICE!

Willow Creek has some pros and cons. They do have bigger arenas, and the stalls are pretty nice in the main barn. There is one trainer there I like, and one who drives me nuts... Also the owner is a little wacky, but leans more toward the wacky-good side rather than the wacky-bad side.

Overall I would say both are pretty good choices, there is also Hacienda a bit down the road from Flying Horse, it's not too bad and I believe is a little cheaper than FH or WC.

Good luck everyone, and, if anyone has a h/j/event horse coming with them that needs riding, I'm happy to help ;).

Also if anyone needs an "A" circuit barn there are:
Leone Equestrians in Sac
Foxtail Farms in Wilton
WindFall Farm in Green Valley

They are all 25-45 minutes from Davis. The trainer at Foxtail is Denise Parker and WindFall has Gry and Duncan McFarlane, they are all great, Foxtail is probably a littttle bit less expensive but Gry and Duncan are top-of-the-line; if your ponies need that show-barn atmosphere you really can't get much better than that in Norcal. Rudy Leone is very well known for sales/imports, I just realized I'm not actually sure if he takes training clients but he might do, he is good but can be really really tough which is not everyone's thing.

Good luck and feel free to pm me if you want more info, esp on Foxtail or WindFall.

Thanks so much! Hey if you ever want a little mini hunter (Like I said she pushes 15.2) to ride around my mares gonna be there if your ever bored! She hasnt done anything in a year (gets ridden but not over fences) but did some small fences and was absolutely awesome when we started her last year on it. She'll never jump the big stuff but shes fun to hack around on

Rather than making me wait until tomorrow, Yasmin just called me to tell me #3 declined. I'm in!!! I can not believe it! I am so excited!!!
:biglove::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Congrats, JustCats!!!! (Hey--that rhymes!):soexcited:

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!