UC Davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
- Immediately email Ryan or Jennifer (personally, I think Ryan seems more on top of things) using the email link below each of their names at the bottom of the CDW-G website.
Be sure to include the subject ("Add RAM") and order number. Then type something like the following in the email:
Please add the 2GB of RAM to my computer.
Order Number: XXXXXXX.

Thanks much, I did just this and Ryan got back to me right away and said that he successfully added the RAM to my order. I also included a note in the email saying that it was okay to charge the extra cost to the same credit card that I used for my initial order. That might not be entirely necessary but I did it just incase ;).

Members don't see this ad.

What a relief! That must have been unsettling for a few minutes. :oops:

Financial aid info should be coming at the end of the month.

I contacted Kim and got this fixed, it was linked again to me having two student ID numbers, as I had figured. Anyway, now all my requirements are met, but I still don't have any financial aid listed, does anyone have financial aid yet???

I've got an iPod Touch (which I LOVE!) but there really isn't much vet-related software available for it. I'm thinking of getting either a pocketPC or a Palm device. Do any of you have positive or negative experiences with either type of device? Thank you!

Have you all seen this already?

http://vetpda.ucdavis.edu

Members don't see this ad :)
JustCats, Davis does have some applications out for the iphone (I assume itouch as well) My roommate mentioned it to me that they sent out an email to the current students about it for them to download it, stuff like dosage cals etc so I wouldn't jump and get a PDA quite yet unless you really want one.

Thanks for the heads up.
JustCats, Davis does have some applications out for the iphone (I assume itouch as well) My roommate mentioned it to me that they sent out an email to the current students about it for them to download it, stuff like dosage cals etc so I wouldn't jump and get a PDA quite yet unless you really want one.

So, I noticed on VIPER that our class has been sorted into "student groups." Does anyone (VAGirl, nudge nudge) have any idea what these are for? I am guessing either orientation groups +/- anatomy lab groups?

So, I noticed on VIPER that our class has been sorted into "student groups." Does anyone (VAGirl, nudge nudge) have any idea what these are for? I am guessing either orientation groups +/- anatomy lab groups?

Oooooh. My group has 9 people in it. That's a lot of people for 1 dog! hmmmm... curiouser and curiouser....

EDIT: Just had a thought... I bet this is for our clinical skills sessions. Fun!

Last edited:
From http://healthcenter.ucdavis.edu/newstudent/vet-req.html

================================================

Rabies Clinic at Student Health Services

You must attend all three clinics to receive the full vaccination series. The Vet School will assign students a section number for the first injection according to your class schedule. No appointment is necessary for your first injection - just show up. You will sign-up for the time of your subsequent injections at your first visit. Wait times may vary to receive the injection and you must wait 30 minutes after injection. Consider bringing a book or something to work on. If you have a laptop or wireless device, wireless connections are available in the waiting areas through UC Davis Moobilenet.
Check-in for vaccination in the North Lobby of Cowell Student Health Center.

First Injection:
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Section 1: arrive at 1:00 pm, plan to stay until 2:30 pm
Section 2: arrive at 2:30 pm, plan to stay until 4:00 pm

Second Injection:
Wednesday, September 16, 2009 between 2:00-4:00 p.m.
appointment times will be assigned when you receive your first injection

Third Injection:
Wednesday, September 30, 2009 between 2:00-4:00 p.m.
appointment times will be assigned when you receive your first injection All charges will be billed directly to your student account. The costs for injections has not been determined yet. The cost* for the three shot series for last year's students was:

• $348* for students with the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) or
  • $648* for all other students.
*Please note that all costs are subject to change without notice. Cost for students with SHIP reflects an injectables benefit though the plan.

For those of you still waiting, my financial aid package was available for viewing yesterday, even though I hadn't received an e-mail saying so... Finally!

For those of you still waiting, my financial aid package was available for viewing yesterday, even though I hadn't received an e-mail saying so... Finally!

Mines not up yet :(

But I am happy about the rabies clinic... because I don't have to do it!!!
One of the perks of being a VMTH employee is that they require us all (even LA) to be vaccinated for rabies, and they PAY for it:love: I didn't realize it costs THAT much $$

One of the perks of being a VMTH employee is that they require us all (even LA) to be vaccinated for rabies, and they PAY for it:love: I didn't realize it costs THAT much $$

It is a lot of money...and look at all the time you'll save, not hanging around the clinic those 3 days! The small animal clinic I worked at a couple of years ago was offering to pay for the vaccine--I wish I had taken them up on it!!

Do any of you guys who currently live in Davis have any recomendations for where to get regular vet services? I have a CRF kitty, so he needs bloodwork every other month, and urine cultures twice a year. Doing all of that at VMTH would cost me an arm and a leg (or maybe a kidney), so I was hoping someone might know a decent local vet that I could go to for such things. Thanks!

For the groups on VIPER that's how the class is divided into smaller groups for labs where the whole class is not attending at the same time. They do it this way to make scheduling easier, by scheduling groups instead of individuals.

The way it works is that everyone is in a 1 or 2 group, so half the class. Anatomy lab is an example of a time when all the 1s are together and all the 2s are together. Then each half is further divided into 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, so quarters. Some labs will be 1/4 of the class at a time so all the 2Bs would be at the same time. 1/8th is 1A2, 1A1, etc, down to 1/16th (your 8 or 9 person group) of 1A1A, 1A1B, 1A2A, etc. Our radiology labs were in the smallest groups. Your anatomy groups should be three students, and they mostly seem to be from your 8 or 9 person groups but not always.

For vet care I think most students go to the VMTH because we get discounts up to a certain amount. Lab work is not included, so if that's mostly what you need you may be able to find somewhere cheaper. Although, their lab is all in-house, so it may be cheaper there if other vets in town send out to IDEXX or something. They should be giving everyone information about the discount policies once you get here; I know what it was last year, but with budget problems all over the place it wouldn't surprise me if the policies have changed.

Members don't see this ad :)
My financial aid package is up as well. I'm worried because my husband and I are going from one household on two incomes to two households (he has to stay in L.A. for his career) on one income. That, paired with the fact that I have a lot of debt (ie, bills), has me worried that the ~$15K designated for "basic living" is just not going to cut it.

Anyone know any details about the "Sch of VM Fee Grant-VM" or "U C Grant-VM-NH"? These are listed under my awards and I wasn't sure exactly what they were. They are for $3,500 and $2,600 respectively, if that helps. Thanks :)

For the groups on VIPER that's how the class is divided into smaller groups for labs where the whole class is not attending at the same time. They do it this way to make scheduling easier, by scheduling groups instead of individuals.

The way it works is that everyone is in a 1 or 2 group, so half the class. Anatomy lab is an example of a time when all the 1s are together and all the 2s are together. Then each half is further divided into 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, so quarters. Some labs will be 1/4 of the class at a time so all the 2Bs would be at the same time. 1/8th is 1A2, 1A1, etc, down to 1/16th (your 8 or 9 person group) of 1A1A, 1A1B, 1A2A, etc. Our radiology labs were in the smallest groups. Your anatomy groups should be three students, and they mostly seem to be from your 8 or 9 person groups but not always.

Hey, thanks for the explanation. Makes a lot more sense now!

Does that mean, though, that we don't choose our own anatomy groups?

Anyone else still not have their financial aid posted yet

mine's not up but i gave them my tax return/verif form kinda late since i had to wait and get my student id number sorted out before i turned in any forms.

also i turned in my SOLR ages ago but have not heard if they've confirmed my residency status yet. shrug. not too worried.

Meee! and my financial aid requirements have been complete for over a month :hungover:

Ditto! I turned in all that stuff ages ago it seems. Oh well...hopefully they'll get to me eventually. :rolleyes:

Ditto! I turned in all that stuff ages ago it seems. Oh well...hopefully they'll get to me eventually. :rolleyes:

Here's to hoping we'll get our financial aid info tomorrow!!
(preferably with lots of grants! :xf:) :D

Last edited:
My financial aid finally got posted and needless to say I got screwed. Unsub loans here I come :mad::thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown

Ditto. I'll feel better after I throw up.

My financial aid finally got posted and needless to say I got screwed. Unsub loans here I come :mad::thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown

I was hoping for at least a sub loan if I didn't get any grants. I love how they figured I could contribute money that legally I cant touch or use. I didn't know how much to take on the loan. I was offered 40k. I figured I'd take a little more my first year and see what I use of it so I was thinking around 30,000.

Dont mean to interrupt the topic of financial aid, but I was wondering, since I am applying to UCDavis this year, how many of you completed the optional supplemental forms such as the career diversity form? I know it is for students who want to study equine medicine, avian med, etc, but it is optional. I am actually planning on studying equine medicine, but am struggling with an explanation statement and would rather not write one if it is not mandatory. However, I am wondering if the lack of supplemental application will affect my chances of acceptance. Please advise.

Dont mean to interrupt the topic of financial aid, but I was wondering, since I am applying to UCDavis this year, how many of you completed the optional supplemental forms such as the career diversity form? I know it is for students who want to study equine medicine, avian med, etc, but it is optional. I am actually planning on studying equine medicine, but am struggling with an explanation statement and would rather not write one if it is not mandatory. However, I am wondering if the lack of supplemental application will affect my chances of acceptance. Please advise.

I turned it in, I'm also equine med. I figured it at the very least showed them my initiative to fill something out that wasnt a requirement. Maybe backed up my interest in the school. I'm not sure how much they look at it but i figure it wont hurt

I applied as a combined small animal/equine track, and did not do any of the supplemental apps. Never came up in my interview or anything. Main reason I decided not to fill it out was b/c I had basically no clinical equine experience, my clinical hours were almost entirely SA. (I did however, ride and coach professionally for 5 years and did a lot of rehab of sports horses, hence the interest in equine).

I didn't turn in any of the supplemental info either (even though I probably could have) and it didn't affect me nor did it come up at all during my interview.

Anyone from group 1B notice on the CERE schedule that we have a saturd ay lab before thanksgiving weekend? And eventhough the academic schedule says we get thurs/fri off theres no classes listed on Wednesday either. I want to book my flight home but kinda scared they'll throw classes on during that day

Anyone from group 1B notice on the CERE schedule that we have a saturd ay lab before thanksgiving weekend? And eventhough the academic schedule says we get thurs/fri off theres no classes listed on Wednesday either. I want to book my flight home but kinda scared they'll throw classes on during that day

I can't think of a time last year when they did that to us. Pretty much what the schedule says is what it will be. If we ever wanted them to move things around after the schedule was set, too, it seemed like we needed a 100% majority to make it happen.

I would just book your ticket and not worry about it.

Still nothing about financial aid for me, other than today I received an email telling me that someone at Davis corrected my FASFA. What they changed and why I don't know, but it's a bit strange. Did this happen to anyone else?

I can't think of a time last year when they did that to us. Pretty much what the schedule says is what it will be. If we ever wanted them to move things around after the schedule was set, too, it seemed like we needed a 100% majority to make it happen.

I would just book your ticket and not worry about it.

I just read about voting on changing the schedule, and you are correct. You need a unanimous "yes" vote from every student in addition to professor approval.

From the student manual:
Requests to move sessions or exams
Generally, the quarterly curriculum schedule is final once published. If a conflict is found or students would like
a session or exam moved, a request should be made to [email protected] via a class president. No
sessions or exams can be moved without instructor permission and agreement from the Office of Academic
Programs/Curricular Support. To move an exam also requires a vote by all enrolled members of the class and
unanimous consent.
It seems like a pretty big process to change the date for a class or exam, but I'm guessing it's a lot more laid back than it sounds.

I didn't complete the supplemental forms.

Last edited:
Still nothing about financial aid for me, other than today I received an email telling me that someone at Davis corrected my FASFA. What they changed and why I don't know, but it's a bit strange. Did this happen to anyone else?

I did receive financial aid info yesterday :)D yay! Finally!!!) and I also received an email from FAFSA today saying my info had been corrected and my SAR recalculated or something along those lines... not sure why they do this, but it probably means your award info is on it's way.

I did receive financial aid info yesterday :)D yay! Finally!!!) and I also received an email from FAFSA today saying my info had been corrected and my SAR recalculated or something along those lines... not sure why they do this, but it probably means your award info is on it's way.

Ditto!

Where are these groups and schedules posted?

Did you have different numbers on your FAFSA/Tax Return/Verification worksheet? Seems a little weird that they'd be changing things-- hopefully it worked in your favor!

Anyone here in group 2B1A?

2B1B here! So, we'll probably have a lot of the same labs together.

Did you have different numbers on your FAFSA/Tax Return/Verification worksheet? Seems a little weird that they'd be changing things-- hopefully it worked in your favor!

I think I might have had different numbers on my Verification worksheet due to quitting my job, moving and a dwindling "savings" account. LOL. Either way, I'm happy with the grants I got (esp. with all the budget cuts etc) and I'm hoping that next year we'll all qualify for more scholarships as V2s!

Last edited:
Do any of the other groups (I'm 1B1B) have a saturday 427 lab?? It just seems odd to me.

I go back up to Davis in about a week and am getting so excited and my big sib contacted me already too.

Anyone on here working the state fair job?

Another guy in my group (well, almost)!? That's like 80% of the males in the same group :laugh:.

Hate to dissapoint, but last time I checked I was missing a Y chromosome ;)

Do any of the other groups (I'm 1B1B) have a saturday 427 lab?? It just seems odd to me.

I go back up to Davis in about a week and am getting so excited and my big sib contacted me already too.

Anyone on here working the state fair job?

I don't have anything on Saturday.
My big sib hasn't contacted me yet, though I'm pretty sure I know who it is based on my preferences.
I'm not working the state fair job. Are you? I'll definitely visit though.

Hate to dissapoint, but last time I checked I was missing a Y chromosome ;)

SOB! I thought you said you were male a while back. Oh well, sorry. There's going to be a ton of estrogen in valley hall.

I don't have anything on Saturday.
My big sib hasn't contacted me yet, though I'm pretty sure I know who it is based on my preferences.
I'm not working the state fair job. Are you? I'll definitely visit though.

Yep I'll be working the state fair! Im super excited. If I haven't gotten completely confused who's who on here I think my roommate is your big sib (unless there was someone else interested in Neuro or I'm totally confused :) )

Yep I'll be working the state fair! Im super excited. If I haven't gotten completely confused who's who on here I think my roommate is your big sib (unless there was someone else interested in Neuro or I'm totally confused :) )

What! Who's your roommate? Jeff Maclellan? And yes, I'm the one interested in Neuro.

What! Who's your roommate? Jeff Maclellan? And yes, I'm the one interested in Neuro.

Yeah Jeff and Ryan. I feel bad for both of them they've already gotten my 101 million questions.

Yeah Jeff and Ryan. I feel bad for both of them they've already gotten my 101 million questions.

Haha! Yeah I've asked Jeff a ton of questions as well, and I sat with Ryan during the interview orientation lunch. They both have been very helpful. I guess I should ask Jeff if he's my big sib. I don't know who else it would be. Neuro people seem to be few are far between (they told me I was the only one in our class).

Haha! Yeah I've asked Jeff a ton of questions as well, and I sat with Ryan during the interview orientation lunch. They both have been very helpful. I guess I should ask Jeff if he's my big sib. I don't know who else it would be. Neuro people seem to be few are far between (they told me I was the only one in our class).

They both have been so helpful for me! Although I've only met Ryan once (he came up for a day before taking off on another adventure) Are you up in Davis already?