UC Davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think 1B2B is different than 2B1B. Based on an earlier post (and I could be completely wrong...) it seems like the code for your group is broken down into 4 parts so that the group size can vary.

You are either a 1 or 2 (the first number)
Then each 1 is either an A or B (the first letter) - same for 2's
Then each subgroup is divided into either a 1 or 2 again
Then each 1 is either an A or B (the second/last letter) - same for 2's

Members don't see this ad :)
I think 1B2B is different than 2B1B. Based on an earlier post (and I could be completely wrong...) it seems like the code for your group is broken down into 4 parts so that the group size can vary.

That's right. 2B1B is completely distinct from 1B2B. 1s and 2s (referring to the first # in the alphanumeric code) won't be in any of the same lab groups. And there will only be something like 8 or 9 people in your 2B1B group, for example. You're not often broken down into those very small groups, only for occasional things. But your lab group will pretty much assuredly be composed of 2 others from that group.

Sorry for the confusing post...I wasn't intending to convey that 2B1B is the same group as 1B2B. But thanks for the group breakdown!

I'm 2B1B as well. I think this is definately going to be an SDN loaded group. Not that I'm complaining. It will feel a little less like meeting strangers.

They both have been so helpful for me! Although I've only met Ryan once (he came up for a day before taking off on another adventure) Are you up in Davis already?

I live in Sacramento and commute to Davis (I went to Davis for undergrad too).

I'm not working the state fair job. Are you? I'll definitely visit though.

Not working the state fair (my vet school roomie is, though!) but DEFINITELY planning a trip up to it-- rumor on the website says you can get a coupon from Subway that lets you get free admission with the purchase of an unlimited ride wristband.... Sounds like a good deal to me!!!

If anyone is going, and knows what day, and wants to hang out for a few minutes and get spun wildly around, or look at prize winning livestock, or eat 65 hotdogs, or drink sketchy margaritas, or go see a bad cover band or something, I am all about hanging out at the fair. So hit me up.

Also - for those who are asking around - I am group 1B2B!! rawk.

And, hilariously, my big sib is a girl who worked at my hospital before going to Davis. Love it.

Speaking of big sibs - has anyone not heard from theirs yet?

I'm in 1A2A. I think. There is someone else in our class with my same first name and last name. I think I'm going to be annoyed by that for the next four years (and potentially longer!). :rolleyes:

I'm also working the state fair (aforementioned vet school roomie here). I definitely vote for sketchy margaritas!!

Yeah - I saw that you (or the other person with your name) is in my group (1A2A) but I didn't know if there was a way to tell which one is which.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going by alphabetical - my middle initial is K, hers is E. I know this from all the confusion that occurred while scheduling my interview and then again when they were trying to pull my file for the interview. Oy. :)

Just think about test taking...ugh!!!

I know, augghh!! I'm going to have to put my middle initial on everything, everything, everything. The IT guy Chris already had me change my display name in the system to include my middle initial for that reason.

I am seriously thinking of changing my name. I already sort of was, but now I really really am.

I am seriously thinking of changing my name. I already sort of was, but now I really really am.

I suggest you come up with a nickname in the next month - that way you can get people familiar with that name from the beginning. Or you could go by your middle name (although some people hate their middle names).

I'm in 1A2A. I think. There is someone else in our class with my same first name and last name. I think I'm going to be annoyed by that for the next four years (and potentially longer!). :rolleyes:

I'm also working the state fair (aforementioned vet school roomie here). I definitely vote for sketchy margaritas!!

THERE YOU ARE roomie!

Sad that we're not in the same group! Was wondering which of you was which when I was looking at the groups list the other day.... See you tonight! ;)

PS - I probably can't feed you sketchy margaritas while you're playing with baby livestock, but will happily wait until your shifts are over??

Figures - that's good news for OncoBanana.

Thanks for letting us know - I'll start memorizing mine now ;)

Yes, sketchy margaritas - preferably while I'm still in poopy coveralls! hahahaha.

thank god for the student id #. i guess i should be used to this name drama... there were three people with my name in my ochem lab at USC. ugghhhhh...

I am in group 2B2A, any one else?? I know one of my group members already because we work together at the VMTH!

Speaking of big sibs - has anyone not heard from theirs yet?

Yes, sketchy margaritas - preferably while I'm still in poopy coveralls! hahahaha.

thank god for the student id #. i guess i should be used to this name drama... there were three people with my name in my ochem lab at USC. ugghhhhh...

aren't you so incredibly thrilled to be having to wear coveralls covered in poop in the summer heat. I know I am! I'm jealous I wish I could be joining in on the margaritas but lucky me I'll be the one getting to dd everyone during orientation and everyone wants to go out and drink

I am going to take so many pictures of this. I wonder if we can get MULTIPLE peeps in poopy coveralls to all drink sketchy margaritas together. That sounds like c/o 2013 Hall Of Fame material, for sure!

I'll be the one getting to dd everyone during orientation and everyone wants to go out and drink

I'm right there with you.

On a side note, I just checked my UC Davis mail account after forgetting about it for a month, and HOLY CRAP! I have like 50 messages from vet students asking me to take their pets or house sit their pets or foster their pets or stay with their pets for a few hours or buy their pets. Maybe I'll take a couple of those paid positions.

On another side note, my laptop was supposed to ship today, but it's still backordered, and still nothing for financial aid.

Poking my head in this thread where I don't really belong, but I just wanted to let you guys know it's possible to get the rabies shot for free (assuming you have a decent plan) through Kaiser if you currently have their insurance at the walk in clinic. You're required to be working in a high-risk environment, which is basically anyone with regular contact with animals at their job. Since the series takes 3 weeks to complete, there'd still be time to get it done before your classes begin. Davis I understand offers a pretty good deal on the rabies vaccine, but free of course is always better!

Poking my head in this thread where I don't really belong, but I just wanted to let you guys know it's possible to get the rabies shot for free (assuming you have a decent plan) through Kaiser if you currently have their insurance at the walk in clinic. You're required to be working in a high-risk environment, which is basically anyone with regular contact with animals at their job. Since the series takes 3 weeks to complete, there'd still be time to get it done before your classes begin. Davis I understand offers a pretty good deal on the rabies vaccine, but free of course is always better!

This reminded me of something I should have said earlier. If you end up working for the university with animals (like being on small or large animal treatment crew, which a number of students are, or a few other things I can't think of now) you will also get the vaccine series free because the university is covering its behind in case you get exposed.

Did anyone else sign up for the Sat, Aug 8th Mercer clinic??
I just volunteered for the 8am-12pm shift :D

Just out of curiosity - has anyone accepted their awards and dealt with the MPN and such?

What is that MPN thing? My.ucdavis.edu also tells me that I am missing an "entrance interview".... Anyone know anything about THAT? I am wondering if this is more you-got-two-student-id's silliness...

I have both on mine, so I don't think it has to do with the Student ID fiasco you went through. Still, I wish someone would tell us where we need to be at by the time we show up. I mean, if I don't fill out all of that info before school starts, will I be way behind or simply SOL?

MPN is a master promissory note, it'll be good for student loans you take out through UCD. You just basically have to electronically sign that you understand that you have to pay back loans, etc.

The loan entrance interview thing, IIRC, has a bunch of questions about terms of student loans like when you can defer and stuff, again to say that you understand you have to pay them back and etc etc.

I had both of those as conditions on mine, as well. It was no big deal. The entrance interview was just a lot of loan info with questions following each section. Like nyanko said, it's basically meant to make sure you understand everything. That was processed and marked as "Satisfied" immediately after I was finished.

The MPN is just your promissory note, sign electronically and you're all good. I think that takes longer to process, though, because mine is still not satisfied. I'd guess that it should all be taken care of before the 1st, since that is when the loan money is disbursed.

I'm still debating over how much financial aid to take :confused: Anybody want to weigh in on how much or what their reasoning was? My mom says to take the maximum since it's hard to get more if you get in a tight spot. And I can't help but dread the interest accumulating...

I'm still debating over how much financial aid to take :confused: Anybody want to weigh in on how much or what their reasoning was? My mom says to take the maximum since it's hard to get more if you get in a tight spot. And I can't help but dread the interest accumulating...

I'm going to take all of it and see what I use. A little extra in the beginning cannot hurt. I will use this year to see how much I really do need to live on and use that as a basis for the years to come.

I took what I budgeted for +500/mo to spare for the first year (cause im sure theres stuff I didnt budget for. I took 30,000 of the loan and can contribute 25,000 on my own and I budgeted around 40k a year spending with everything

How do I find out what group I'm in?
Log onto VIPER, click the students tab > then click student groups > then V1 and find your name.

I'll be 1B1B. I wonder if it changes each quarter or what.

Log onto VIPER, click the students tab > then click student groups > then V1 and find your name.

okay, maybe this is a dumb question but how do I get onto VIPER? :(

does anyone know where the listing for our first quarter textbooks are? I found it at one point, and now I've lost it. :confused:

okay, maybe this is a dumb question but how do I get onto VIPER? :(

If u are on the vetmed website there should be a linknfor it. Also I think the first post on page 15 has it

I did. I did it all online through links I found on the FAFSA website,I think. I'll see if I can find them again and I'll post them.

Just out of curiosity - has anyone accepted their awards and dealt with the MPN and such?

I guess my major issue with the MPN is the "address" they have us put down. Like many of us, I am moving in the near future and I don't want to put down my current address, but, at the same time, I don't want to put down my address in Davis once I move because I won't even be living there until the end of the month.

As long as they don't mail me anything, I won't worry...but should I expect any mail from them?

Thanks! I'm 1B1A. anyone else in that group?
We'll be in the same group for the larger labs (1B) :)

I can't wait to get back utp to Davis and finish moving the rest of my stuff in and let my pony get accustomed to his new home too.

I calculated what I needed, and took a little more. I will see how much I need and give the rest back. Interest won't be too bad if you just give back what you don't use, but definitely don't take the max simply because you can.

I guess my major issue with the MPN is the "address" they have us put down. Like many of us, I am moving in the near future and I don't want to put down my current address, but, at the same time, I don't want to put down my address in Davis once I move because I won't even be living there until the end of the month.

As long as they don't mail me anything, I won't worry...but should I expect any mail from them?

I'm in the same boat. Everything has online address changes though, so it's pretty much instant.

Nope, it stays the same.

They don't seem to mail anything via USPS, everything is pretty much by email. I'm trying to think of an exception to that and I can't. You should be fine.

They don't seem to mail anything via USPS, everything is pretty much by email. I'm trying to think of an exception to that and I can't. You should be fine.

Awesome - thanks for that piece of info!

Holy crap. I just realized that my UC Davis email hasn't been downloaded into my main gmail account since they completed the migration and I have tons of Davis emails. If you're like me and you weren't checking your Davis email separately because you thought it was downloading into another mailbox, you might want to take a peek at MyDavis.