UC Davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well I just managed to get all of the books for fall quarter recommended by VAgirl for $67 total. Woohoo!

Members don't see this ad.

Where'd you buy from?

Members don't see this ad :)
nice - I checked amazon the other day and they were out of Miller's - grrr!

Of course, once again, my dilemma is the shipping issue! I wish I was up there already so I could just have things mailed to me without worrying...

Bam! :)

vagirl said:
ok, for anatomy (401a), you'll probably want to buy miller's anatomy of the dog and the comparative anatomy book by dyce. I got the version of each where you get a soft copy for your computer in addition to the hard copy book and i really like it. They cite miller's constantly for pictures, but i can't read the thing at all. It's so dense, but the pictures are good. Dyce is nice, too, for everything non-dog.

You don't need a book for physiological chemistry (403), they do most everything from the syllabus and lecture notes. But it's nice to have a biochem book to reference (any book you like will do, including one you already have). Also, i got the thin but huge book metabolism at a glance, which i liked. I'm not sure how much i really used it, but it made me feel better when we did a ton of glycolysis, gluconeogenesis and glycogenolysis stuff. Has all the pathways very well written out.

For epidemiology (409), you'll want to get whatever book he is using this year. You could probably share with a friend if you wanted to, though.

For histology (427), i'd get kirtzenbaum, or however you spell it (that's the author's name). The prof uses a ton of diagrams from the book, she just removes some of the details. You could get by without it, but i liked having it. Didn't read it a ton, but i liked having the large diagrams with the captions, etc.

For the others, i wouldn't get any texts. Definitely don't need to buy the texts they recommend or require (they almost never mean required when they list that for a text). Definitely don't the books they list for ethics (436) or radiology (430) unless you want them for your own personal whatever.

Oh, and they do price matching at the bookstore for any price you can find on new books on the internet, up to 20% off of the bookstore's price. Also, the first 2 days of class, all books are 10% off. If you buy used online, you can probably still get better deals. But the price matching is really a nice thing if you need a book fast or can't find a used copy online, etc.

By the way, does anyone know if the financial aid money classified as "Federal Direct Loan Unsub-NH" is all federal or is it private too?

By the way, does anyone know if the financial aid money classified as "Federal Direct Loan Unsub-NH" is all federal or is it private too?

That's all Federal Stafford Loan. I only discovered this when I called BoA about Stafford Loans and they told me that's what that was.

Also... does anyone know if it's at all possible to get loans for over their estimated cost of attendance? Being older and having two households, their basic living estimate is a bit low for me. However, every private loan I've encountered will only give you money up to the cost of attendance. I'm starting to get very frightened that I won't have enough money to do this...

Any advice?

I had both of those as conditions on mine, as well. It was no big deal. The entrance interview was just a lot of loan info with questions following each section. Like nyanko said, it's basically meant to make sure you understand everything. That was processed and marked as "Satisfied" immediately after I was finished.

The MPN is just your promissory note, sign electronically and you're all good. I think that takes longer to process, though, because mine is still not satisfied. I'd guess that it should all be taken care of before the 1st, since that is when the loan money is disbursed.

hey thanks for the info! i was really confused but it sounds like no biggie-- my package STILL isn't ready but i wanted to make sure i wasn't missing some vital form or something!

Hi everybody! I logged on the other day and was blown away at how much I missed! This summer has been FLYING by SO fast!

I logged on to VIPER and I'm not on the list. I'm registered for all our classes in CERE, but I'm not included in the group/lab list. Holy crap, what does that mean?!? Have I been kicked off the island?!?:scared:

I guess I'll call somebody tomorrow and ask?!?

Yay! I made it to Davis and finally got my internet connection set up! Now all I have to do is find some furniture and upack all these books (I realized while packing that 75% of all my possessions are books :laugh:)

hey GeeQued - How was the Mercer clinic you did last month?
I signed up for the one tomorrow and just got an email saying we'll be seeing patients and doing histories and physical exams etc. Excited but getting nervous! (as a tech I was pretty much ALWAYS in the tx or surgery rooms at work.... never did many PEs or saw clients) :D:eek:

EDIT: Mercer was awesome! I had a great time and highly recommend it! I feel like I learned a lot (even though my vet aid and I saw an average of 1 client per hour LOL). I'll be back next month for sure.

Last edited:
Yay kittyrex welcome to Davis!

FYI everyone, I went into the bookstore the other day and picked up a copy of Millers. The campus bookstore price ($156) is cheaper than amazon ($162) for the edition with e-book access. I like having the e version--I was able to download the entire book to my laptop and now I can access every page without having to lug the book around. Sweet!

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI everyone, I went into the bookstore the other day and picked up a copy of Millers. The campus bookstore price ($156) is cheaper than amazon ($162) for the edition with e-book access. I like having the e version--I was able to download the entire book to my laptop and now I can access every page without having to lug the book around. Sweet!

Sweet is right - I am looking forward to e-book access! I guess I'll wait to buy that book at the bookstore...and if I can get that 10% off the first day of class or whatever it is, that'll be a few extra dollars saved! Thanks for the info!

Do all our major textbooks have e-book access? I have never heard of that - That sounds AMAZING!

Also, what is the 10% off on the first day thing?

Do all our major textbooks have e-book access? I have never heard of that - That sounds AMAZING!

Also, what is the 10% off on the first day thing?

Only certain textbooks have it. For first quarter, I think only Miller's and Dyce (2 diff anatomy books) have the e-book option.

The 10% off thing is a sort of promotion that the bookstore runs for the first day or two of classes on textbooks any maybe some other things, but not syllabi. The other thing, though, is that I don't think that you can use both the price matching and the 10% off at the same time.

With price matching, you sometimes come out even better than the 10% off deal. But the maximum amount they'll price match is 20% off their price and you need to have a print out of the cheaper price from a US website for a brand new copy of the book. There are a few other restrictions, but those are the most important ones. So if you find a really good price for the textbook from an international website (I think lots of us found good prices for a text for spring quarter this way) they won't price match, so you should go ahead and order it ahead of time (i.e over spring break) to get it cheaper.

Has anyone else out there STILL not received their financial aid package? It's making me really nervous... Although I did get the email that they had corrected my FAFSA... Guess it's time to check in with Jay again :confused:

Also-- Is anyone considering NOT buying a hard copy of Miller's? I have looked through it before, and it just seems like it's not something I would necessarily need or want to highlight in... If we're using it more for reference I feel like (for me) it might make more sense just to get an e-copy of it (I thought I saw somewhere that this was an option) and just have it with me in my computer all the time.

I do already have a pretty awesome color Anatomy Atlas with a huge number of what look like really good dissection photos, so I was planning on doing a lot of studying from that.

Hi starlene,

I still havent received my financial aid package either, but I just realized that I needed to turn in the verification form. I would check with Jay to make sure you are not missing anything. :)

Has anyone else out there STILL not received their financial aid package? It's making me really nervous... Although I did get the email that they had corrected my FAFSA... Guess it's time to check in with Jay again :confused:

Yay kittyrex welcome to Davis!

Thanks ShelterURIGirl! :D I love Davis and my apartment so far, but I can tell it's going to take me a while to get used to this sweltering heat :eek:

Just did a search on Dealoz looking for cheaper Miller's with veterinary consult to no avail...Think I'll head to the vet bookstore tomorrow.

Last edited:
Finally got my laptop, and just finished going through the pen and onenote tutorials. It's going to take some getting used to. Onenote seems like an awesome program.

I also found the Merck manual online, which is amazing.

Who's in town? A couple of us were going to meet up tuesday evening for a doggie play date at one of the dog parks. PM me if you're interested!

Sorry for just getting back to you kittyrex I was out of the country but Iiked the mercer clinic I just felt with some better organization it could see more patients. ThAt and my experience is mainly large animal.

Schools gonna be here before we know it! I'll be getting back up to Davis tomorrow with my pony

Hi starlene,

I still havent received my financial aid package either, but I just realized that I needed to turn in the verification form. I would check with Jay to make sure you are not missing anything. :)

The good news: Financial Aid package finally came, so I can stop stressing about THAT. :)

The bad news: 2nd time I turned my tablet on, 5 minutes in the screen started blinking on and off, after some consults with Chris at UCD and Jen at CDW they have decided to just completely replace the whole thing, which means I have to send it back :(. Sad. Hoping this is not foreshadowing of bad things to happen during the school year-- it was tough for me to choose the PC over the mac.

That being said, I lovvvvveeeee the awesome tablet-ness. So fun. So I'm really hoping this means I have had my dose of bad-computer karma for the next few years... And to be fair to CDW they have been very helpful and responsive about getting this replacement done.

Check your Davis email - the Orientation Agenda is waiting for you!

Anyone doing the spay neuter trailer this weekend in Sac (Sunday) I know they are really looking for volunteers and I'm gonna plan on going.

Anyone know about how long it takes for the MPN info to be validated? I filled it out last week maybe Thurs or Friday, waiting for it to update and say that it's been satisfied on My Awards...

... and for those of you who got the mac-- how are you liking it? I may have an opportunity to swap out when my replacement tablet gets here this week. Am seriously considering it... Tell me how awesome it is!

Thanks ShelterURIGirl! :D I love Davis and my apartment so far, but I can tell it's going to take me a while to get used to this sweltering heat :eek:

Yeah for serious, us bay-area'ers willl have some acclimatizing to do...
I'm genuinely considering buying a Slip'n'Slide. Do they still sell those? Maybe at BigLots? :laugh:

starlene, the mac RULES.

i picked mine up yesterday and have been enjoying it muchly. it seems that it will be pretty easy to annotate notes with skim. and it's fast. and i love it a lot. you should come over and see it!!

also, i emailed jay in the finaid office and he said don't sweat the MPN not showing up as finished. he seemed to think that it'll be done by september 1. as long as you got the confirmation email you should be fine. i was totally freaking out about that too.

Oooohhhhh I knew I was forgetting something!! Thanks for reminding me about the MPN stuff!!

Hey the good news is I exist now. My name has been added to the class roster and lab list on VIPER, yay! Anyone else 2B2A?

PS--the mac rocks, and you will totally get used to the weather. I'm originally from the bay and now I find myself putting on a sweatshirt if the temperature drops below 78, LOL

you will totally get used to the weather. I'm originally from the bay and now I find myself putting on a sweatshirt if the temperature drops below 78, LOL

hee hee. That must be true because I just watched a movie with my friend from undergrad who has been in Davis for grad school for the past year.... I kept laughing because she was freeeezing her butt of in the theater and I had about 1/2 as much clothes on as her! :laugh:

And Starlene, if you get a slip and slide, I am so there! Otherwise, I propose a water balloon fight. :D

Hey the good news is I exist now. My name has been added to the class roster and lab list on VIPER, yay! Anyone else 2B2A?

There are several of us in the 2B group, and I think one person was in 2B2A. I'm 2B1A, but all of us in the 2B group will have a lot of labs and whatnot together.

GeeQued- I was on the morning shift Sunday at the Sac Shelter, maybe we worked together? It was good fun until I got pooped on 10 minutes before my shift ended. ha

Starlene- I've had the Mac Pro for 3 weeks and I LOVE IT. I'd say switch for it, especially based on the survey of '12 students. One final note- huge slip n slide fan, and I am all for it in the courtyard. Although I can't imagine what VMTH clients would think :laugh:. BTW you can find them at Walmart for like $8.

Looking forward to meeting you all!

PS: VAGirl you are a lifesaver! Thanks for all of your help via SDN.

GeeQued- I was on the morning shift Sunday at the Sac Shelter, maybe we worked together? It was good fun until I got pooped on 10 minutes before my shift ended. ha

Starlene- I've had the Mac Pro for 3 weeks and I LOVE IT. I'd say switch for it, especially based on the survey of '12 students. One final note- huge slip n slide fan, and I am all for it in the courtyard. Although I can't imagine what VMTH clients would think :laugh:. BTW you can find them at Walmart for like $8.

Looking forward to meeting you all!

I was on the morning shift with you! :) (I'm Stacy). It was fun once I got into the swing of things, its been quite a long time since I've worked with small animals so a nice refresher.

We have a little plastic pool in our backyard (I think it was meant for the dog) but Im seriously debating on using it its been so flipping hot.

What is everyone doing about driving to school. Originally I was gonna try and ride my bike but now thinking of getting a pass depending on how long this heat decides to hang around.

Not a vet student but my office/work/lab are on the VM campus and I am often here from 9 am until 7-8 pm.

80% of the time I ride my bicycle to campus. Usually my commute is in the morning and it isn't too hot yet, or in the evening when it's begun to cool down already. The exceptions are when I'm carrying unwieldy things to campus, or if my commute is going to be when it's over 100F or hard rain (drizzle is kind of refreshing), or if I have to dress up for something.

19% of the time I take the Unitrans buses (they've recently begun a new line that actually shuttles from the Silo to the GBSF which is in the health sciences district and a short walk). One option that you may consider that a lot of people don't seem to know about is the Transitpool program. You can get monthly or quarter long bus passes for pretty cheap, and a couple of day-long parking passes per month are included. You'll have to ask them for more details on that, not sure about the complimentary pass part.

What I actually do is buy the quarter long Unitrans pass and also have a Comet. I don't own a car, but my SO does, and sometimes (the last 1% ;) ) I need to take it to campus (for example, today I had to bring my hockey equipment with me). How that thing works is that you prepay for a certain # of hours at a rate comparable to meter rates ($1.50/hr), and you can park in any C, visitor or meter spot. The two lots you'll probably use most are C and visitor lots so it works there. If you go over 4 hours at a time with it, it just stops counting at 4 since visitor parking passes cost $6. That's just the combination that I've found is most cost-efficient for me, so your mileage may vary. :)

Last edited:

My pleasure. :)

What is everyone doing about driving to school. Originally I was gonna try and ride my bike but now thinking of getting a pass depending on how long this heat decides to hang around.

FWIW, the heat makes it super hard to ride your bike in the summer in the afternoon/early evening, but it's really not bad during the year. In fact, the major reasons why I didn't ride my bike to school on any given day last year was 1) rain, 2) stayed up late studying for a test and was too tired so had my husband drop me off instead, 3) was just plain lazy. Heat really wasn't an issue. In fact, if you go biking in the morning you'll need layers (even in the summer sometimes) because it starts off really cold...I think it was in the high 50s this morning!!

Dude, VAgirl is telling the truth when she says its cold in the mornings. It was 105 this afternoon but I used my seat warmers at 7am this morning.

And go ahead and laugh, but I tried to be all athletic and ride my bike to school at various times last year and let me just say that at my strongest points, I lasted maybe a week. It is freeeeaaakkkiiinnn C O L D here in the mornings. I swear, it would be 2pm in the afternoon before temperature returned to normal in my a#! and feet!! Yeah, call me diva or whatever but I hate being cold!!

And VAgirl, what is the white coat ceremony like? I was debating on who to invite. I don't want to inconvenience my parents, and I'm not sure they would want to go. Am I going to be the only one there without family if I don't ask them? They live over an hour away...I would hate for them to drive out all this way and be completely bored.

Any thoughts?

And VAgirl, what is the white coat ceremony like? I was debating on who to invite. I don't want to inconvenience my parents, and I'm not sure they would want to go. Am I going to be the only one there without family if I don't ask them? They live over an hour away...I would hate for them to drive out all this way and be completely bored.

Any thoughts?

I second this question.

And I am also curious about the CVMA luncheon. How dressed up do we need to be? Business casual, like the white coat ceremony?

ShelterURIgirl - Lookie what I found :D (It's a video of last year's white coat ceremony)
http://www.casttv.com/ext/zmrmmo

GeeQued -Regarding getting to campus, I'm planning to drive most of the time :rolleyes:... mostly because I live up by East Covell and have a dog. I would hate to have him hold it allll day long while I'm at school and the BF is at work, so I'm planning to drive home during lunch breaks to walk him and grab a quick bite. I just don't think I'd be able to make it in time with my bike (takes about 10 min to drive each way, so I figured it would be atleast 20 each way by bike) FYI, I just bought a C parking permit. It was $400 for the entire school year! :eek: Cheaper than many other campuses, but still...

Also, anyone in town and want to meet up to check out the farmer's market this saturday?

Oh, and any advice for where to buy inexpensive bookshelves? I want to avoid going to IKEA again if possible (what a nightmare!)

Kitty - craigslist? Also there is a cheapish furniture store in Berkeley down on the south end of College, I think... But you already moved!!!!

BOTH my parents are coming to the white coat thingy. They got EXTREMELEY excited about it... LOL, oh well, they have put a lot of effort into getting me this far so I should let them enjoy it, right?

They were asking if there are tours of the VMTH or anything during the day (they obviously will need something to do before 5pm). I thought I had read somewhere that you could schedule vet med tours, does anyone know anything about this? I think they would enjoy seeing the hospital, at least.

Kitty - craigslist? Also there is a cheapish furniture store in Berkeley down on the south end of College, I think... But you already moved!!.

My friend who moved to Ithaca last year just sent me this about her bookshelf hunting experience (which pretty much sums up mine) :laugh:

Step 1. Check Ikea. Step 2. Decide that you don't like anything they have to offer or what you do like is too expensive for something from Ikea. Step 3. Check Craigslist. Religiously. Try and follow up on on or two that seem okay, only to be not responded to. Step 4. Start thinking about how to make one's own bookshelf. Step 5. Resign yourself to just leaving your books on the floor.

Starlene, I think it's adorable that both your parents are so excited! My dad will be coming as well so I'd be interested to hear what you find out about doing VMTH tours that day.

ShelterURIgirl - Lookie what I found :D (It's a video of last year's white coat ceremony)
http://www.casttv.com/ext/zmrmmo

GeeQued -Regarding getting to campus, I'm planning to drive most of the time :rolleyes:... mostly because I live up by East Covell and have a dog. I would hate to have him hold it allll day long while I'm at school and the BF is at work, so I'm planning to drive home during lunch breaks to walk him and grab a quick bite. I just don't think I'd be able to make it in time with my bike (takes about 10 min to drive each way, so I figured it would be atleast 20 each way by bike) FYI, I just bought a C parking permit. It was $400 for the entire school year! :eek: Cheaper than many other campuses, but still...

Also, anyone in town and want to meet up to check out the farmer's market this saturday?

Oh, and any advice for where to buy inexpensive bookshelves? I want to avoid going to IKEA again if possible (what a nightmare!)

The idea of a parking pass is sounding better and better. Im off Covell to (Covell at Shasta) so Im thinking thats longer than i want to ride everyday.

Any thoughts?

Last year was the first year we were allowed to invite people to the ceremony anyhow. It's not a big deal if your family doesn't come. I think the majority of people had someone there (parents, boyfriend/girlfriend or husband/wife), but no biggie if you don't, I don't think. I'd leave it up to them if I were you. It really didn't feel like that big of a deal to me, but my mom was certainly upset she couldn't come (3,000 miles away), so maybe it's neater for parents?

Oh yea, it'll be a million degrees outside and you'll be putting on polyester coats that don't breathe AT ALL. So wear the most breathable lightweight business casual clothes you can find. You'll be dripping with sweat before it's done.

And I am also curious about the CVMA luncheon. How dressed up do we need to be? Business casual, like the white coat ceremony?

Business casual will be just fine. Don't wear a suit. Seriously. It's not an interview, it's just a lunch. It's also not a frat party, so tube tops are maybe not the right idea. But you'll be fine. :)

FYI, I just bought a C parking permit. It was $400 for the entire school year! :eek: Cheaper than many other campuses, but still...

Some people buy L permits (street parking), which isn't really much further, and according to them it's pretty easy to find spots. Those are much cheaper, apparently.

Oh, and something to store in your brains for winter quarter....the parking office gets CRAZY for winter permits (everyone wants one) so don't think you can go get a winter quarter permit the day classes start in January and still make it to your 9am on time. I learned that one the hard way.

Thanks again VAgirl. You've been very helpful.

They were asking if there are tours of the VMTH or anything during the day (they obviously will need something to do before 5pm). I thought I had read somewhere that you could schedule vet med tours, does anyone know anything about this? I think they would enjoy seeing the hospital, at least.

I think I read that we can do self-guided tours, but I'm not exactly sure what that meant. I'll try to find where I read that.

Last edited:
I think I read that we can do self-guided tours, but I'm not exactly sure what that meant. I'll try to find where I read that.

I might be mistaken, but I recall reading that on the preliminary Orientation Schedule that was sent out (and is on the website).

Hm, a self-guided tour might be challenging if no one knows where anything is ;). I guess I should just do some internet research-- feeling kinda lazy here at the end of the summer!

Step 4. Start thinking about how to make one's own bookshelf.

Cinderblocks and driftwood much, Kitty? At least they'd be free! :laugh:

ps- ^^That is totally what my husband would make me do, if it was up to him. Luckily I already have one bookshelf that is coming with me, and am probably just going to get another ikea one this weekend.

Hey i was wondering if anyone got the mac WITHOUT the ipod touch because i'm a total idiot and threw away my computer box and can't get my rebate w/o a macbook pro UPC . . . so if this is the case with any of you i would love to but your upc for $20 . . . let me know (my dad was nice enough to buy my computer for me and is kinda pissed that i threw away his rebate money . . . :(

Stacy- Good to put a face to an SDNer! How is the State Fair going for ya? I'm thinking of stopping by this weekend. Will you be showing steers?

Re the Commute- I'm planning on biking and my roommate says he does it just about everyday. But, we're just 12 minutes out at Lake and Russell Blvds. I'm going to buy a 10 day multi pass for the Unitrans for those inevitable lazy days.

For anybody heading to the Farmer's Market tomorrow, fair warning- they don't allow pets in the produce market itself. Still worth checking out! And Crepeville (right across the street) is really really good.