UC Irvine Statistics Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ksf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how strict UCI is regarding the statistics requirement for a math course? I recently found out that the requirements changed from last year, where they only required a semster of calculus...

I'm a semi-nontrad applicant (graduated in 2004) and I've actually taken 2 semesters of calc (one went a lot better than the other). Does anyone know if this type of requirement could be substituted with another math course? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how strict UCI is regarding the statistics requirement for a math course? I recently found out that the requirements changed from last year, where they only required a semster of calculus...

I'm a semi-nontrad applicant (graduated in 2004) and I've actually taken 2 semesters of calc (one went a lot better than the other). Does anyone know if this type of requirement could be substituted with another math course? Thanks.

Pre-req requirements are pretty strict, but you have until the time you matriculate to complete the course.

Hmmm this makes me wonder...I took statistics at a community college, would UCI accept this? Anybody know?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the UCI secondary and realized that they have a stats requirement. Why did they even send me a secondary if I haven't completed their prereqs? I have taken lots of coursework in which stats are used such as Statistical thermodynamics, and five semesters of math.

I just got the UCI secondary and realized that they have a stats requirement. Why did they even send me a secondary if I haven't completed their prereqs? I have taken lots of coursework in which stats are used such as Statistical thermodynamics, and five semesters of math.

I'm in the exact same position as you, except that I'm missing the upper division biology requirement. I emailed them earlier today and they replied saying that no prereqs would be waived. If you're still a student, you could conceivably cram it into one of your final semesters (they don't need to be complete until August '08). However, if you're working full-time like me to support yourself, you're basically short on luck.

maybe this is a silly question, but does biostatistics fulfill the UCI stats. requirement?

crap, I guess I could take an intense extension course or something in the evenings, hopefully that will count...

Tell me about it, I'm exploring what options I have now too. USC screwed me too with their genetics requirement. What's with these Cali schools and their draconian course requirements?

Called this afternoon re: the stats requirement
I was told that Biostatistics would fulfill the prereq...not sure if this applies to anyone else, but i just thought I'd share