2023-2024 UC Irvine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 UC Irvine Secondary Essay Prompts: (Must submit within 30 days!)

MD (1500 characters each)

1) What personal accomplishment are you most proud of and why?
2) Please describe to the Admissions Committee a challenge or disappointment you have overcome and what you learned about yourself from that experience.
3) (Optional) Do you identify as being part of a marginalized group socioeconomically or in terms of access to quality education or healthcare? If so, please describe how this inequity has impacted you and your community.
4) (if already have an undergrad degree) Please clarify for the Admissions Committee your activities (school, work, and/or volunteer, travel, etc.) since receiving your undergraduate degree. You may list them in chronological order or you may incorporate them into an essay, stating why you chose particular activities. If you have just received or will receive your undergraduate degree this year, please discuss your plans for current year.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
additional MSTP prompts (1500 characters each)
1) What research accomplishment are you most proud of and why?
2) Please describe to the Admissions Committee a research challenge you have overcome and what you learned from that experience.
3) What does it mean, to you, to be an MD/PhD?
4) Please list all posters, manuscripts (published or planned) you would like the Admissions Committee to consider.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
University of California Irvine School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
received OOS MSTP secondary yesterday!

The prompts are the same as last year @wysdoc
(all of them have a 1500 character limit, not counting spaces)
they also require you to submit the secondary within 30 days

MD
1) What personal accomplishment are you most proud of and why?
2) Please describe to the Admissions Committee a challenge or disappointment you have overcome and what you learned about yourself from that experience.
3) (Optional) Do you identify as being part of a marginalized group socioeconomically or in terms of access to quality education or healthcare? If so, please describe how this inequity has impacted you and your community.
4) (if already have an undergrad degree) Please clarify for the Admissions Committee your activities (school, work, and/or volunteer, travel, etc.) since receiving your undergraduate degree. You may list them in chronological order or you may incorporate them into an essay, stating why you chose particular activities. If you have just received or will receive your undergraduate degree this year, please discuss your plans for current year.

additional MSTP prompts
1) What research accomplishment are you most proud of and why?
2) Please describe to the Admissions Committee a research challenge you have overcome and what you learned from that experience.
3) What does it mean, to you, to be an MD/PhD?
4) Please list all posters, manuscripts (published or planned) you would like the Admissions Committee to consider.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS haven't received anything yet. :cryi: Is this the case for anyone else?
First time applying!

IS, secondary received at 2 in the morning lol

Does anyone happen to know whether expressing interest in any of the mission-based programs will have any influence on admission decisions? I know we have to be admitted to the general MD program first anyway before being considered for them, and I just looked into the HEAL-IM program and saw "All interested students are welcome to attend an information session about the HEAL-IM Program (August of MS1 year)." Given this, I'm assuming they've included the question on the app to just gauge interest (especially since there's no essay option for them), but I'm curious if anyone knows anything more!

Members don't see this ad :)
IS secondary received 7/14. Does anyone know what % applicants receive a secondary?

I don't get why schools ask to refill the activities section from the Amcas app on here, what is the point of that?

I don't get why schools ask to refill the activities section from the Amcas app on here, what is the point of that?
I guess there's typically very little that can change within a few months. But for some people, they might have moved locations or finally got a new job. It's likely more for people who actually have something extra to say (e.g. if you got a new publication). Otherwise, it's not that useful.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-07-15 at 2.45.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-15 at 2.45.08 AM.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 207
+1 IS secondary received just now (its 2am lol)

For the activities, how are people doing shadowing hours? I didn't do regular weekly shifts, so I would do 4 to 15 hours in a week at some points, but 0 hours at others... Should I take the total and divide it by the total number of weeks since I started? I was going to do that, but then it comes out to 1 hr/week, which seems weird to put 😅

For the activities, if you didn't do something every week, does anyone know how to fill out that part? Like if you did something twice a month for 3 hours each, then do you just divide 6 total hours/4 weeks?

For the activities, if you didn't do something every week, does anyone know how to fill out that part? Like if you did something twice a month for 3 hours each, then do you just divide 6 total hours/4 weeks?
Not sure either, so I emailed them through the portal! Hopefully they get back to me soon!

does anyone know what the "school activity" section is referring to??

For the character limit, I just realized that the limit is 1500 characters WITHOUT spaces.
Me too... Right after I had painstakingly trimmed my essays to 1500 w/ spaces -_-

+1 IS! Geez, does anyone know what they're looking for for the activities section? How does one not just regurgitate their activities list? At least gimme a number :,)

+1 IS! Geez, does anyone know what they're looking for for the activities section? How does one not just regurgitate their activities list? At least gimme a number :,)
Everyone:
READ the directions on the #4 essay, they only ask for activities SINCE graduating from college.

How stringent is the UCI screen because I got a secondary with a 506 mcat score. I'm IS.

Hi everyone, if I have paid medical scribing and medical assistant experience, do I put it under clinical or paid work? Technically, it works for both. Thanks!

Everyone:
READ the directions on the #4 essay, they only ask for activities SINCE graduating from college.
Wasn't talking about the #4 essay, that's a gap year essay. There's a separate section on the UCI secondary that asks for your most meaningful activities and even says that you'll probably repeat your AMCAS activities.

• Okay...
Hi everyone, if I have paid medical scribing and medical assistant experience, do I put it under clinical or paid work? Technically, it works for both. Thanks!
I would do clinical but like they said for clinical research you could split the hours

for the UCI biology requirement, they said they want 3 semesters including 1 upper division course. Do you think its okay if we use 3 upper division courses if we used AP Credit for general bio ?

for the UCI biology requirement, they said they want 3 semesters including 1 upper division course. Do you think its okay if we use 3 upper division courses if we used AP Credit for general bio ?
Here is my response from admissions, if it helps anyone!

Thank you for your email. We do not accept AP credit. However, the biology courses can be all upper division. Examples of ACCEPTABLE biology courses are cell biology, developmental biology, genetics, immunology, molecular biology, physiology, and virology.

Please note we do not consider psychobiology or any other behavioral-based Biology course to be used towards the Biology requirement.

UCI School of Medicine does not accept animal, plant, evolution, ecology, environmental, nutrition, research, lab and behavioral based courses towards the requirement for biology.

Honestly I just put the most important one for each section. I didn't have any activities to add that weren't already in my app so I figured adding my whole W/A wouldn't be helpful.

is the link to the portal login not working for anyone either ?