UC Irvine (UCI) class of 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cHocoBo 118

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured it's about time someone set up a place for all prospective UCI students to congregate and become familiar with one another. I'm curious as to who my possible future classmates on SDN may be.

even if you're not totally set but are pretty sure, come in. We OCers are as friendly a bunch as it can get.

Members don't see this ad.

hey choco, i'll be seein' you may 7th. i'm excited as hell, i just got accepted the other day

This thread will quickly be moved to the allopathic page (under class threads)...

Anyone strongly considering (after post-acceptance) the UCI PRIME-LC program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey choco, good of you to start this thread. I'm still not sure where I'll be next year, but naturally im leaning towards UCI. I'm also thinking about vista del campo - that place looks quite nice.
I'm not considering the Prime-LC, but I am 99% sure about doing the joint MD/MBA. Anyone else interested in this?

hey choco, i haven't looked into housing much yet. i'm thinking about getting a place off campus though, like a small commute from campus.

I got this email, and I plan to be there if I can (I'll be in a state of flux with work, perhaps ending a job, perhaps starting a new one, so I'm not sure). But I would definitely like to stop by again before I make a final decision. :thumbup:

i'm gonna be there for sure...see you there chocobo! can't wait!

i'll be there on may 7th... :hardy:

UCI said:
You will be able to practice skills such as suturing and intubations.

and what the heck does that mean?

WooHoo! I'm IN - and UCI is my top choice! I'm going to med school! And where I can smell the ocean air every day - can't beat that!

By the way - did you see the 2006 match list for UCI? Woweewowow!

I'm going to the Second Look Day - and am looking forward to meeting you all, my potential fellow classmates!

:clap: :hardy: :horns: :D :) :cool: :thumbup: :laugh: :wow:

OctoDoc said:
By the way - did you see the 2006 match list for UCI? Woweewowow!

I just searched the uci site for this and couldn't find it, what's the link?
thanks!

anystream said:
and what the heck does that mean?

Haha, I was thinking the same thing. What is this, preschool? I hope I get to fingerpaint when I get done with my sutures. :)

Anyone interested in hitting the local scene on the 6th? Maybe do a little bar hopping in our (potential) future home? :thumbup:

lebam said:
I just searched the uci site for this and couldn't find it, what's the link?
thanks!

The Match List isn't posted (as far as I know). It was included in the acceptance packet that UCI SOM sent to me. The list said "for posting," so think it is public knowledge.

Here are the places on the list:

Institution / Program Name

UCI / Medicine - Prelim
UCLA / Neuro

Duke / EM

Baylor / Peds

Tufts / FP

UCSD / ObGyn

UCI / Psych

UCLA / Ortho

Baystate Med Ctr (MA) / EM

UCI / ObGyn

U. Maryland / Gen Surg

White Memorial (CA) / IM

Kaiser Permanente (Oakland, CA) / Peds

UCLA / Peds

Olive View Med Ctr (CA) / IM

UCSF / Psych

U. Utah Affil Hospitals / Otolaryngology

Kaiser Permanente (SF, CA) / Medicine - Prelim
UCSF / Neuro

UCI / Gen Surg

UCSF / Psych

Medical U. of Ohio / Ortho

Kaiser Permanente (Orange County, CA) / FP

Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr / IM

UCI / Psych

UCSF / Psych

Childrens Hospital (Oakland, CA) / Peds

Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr / IM

UCI / Psych

UCI / Otolaryngology

Olive View Med Ctr (CA) / Medicine - Prelim
UCI / Opthamology

Kaiser Permanente (SF, CA) / IM

N. Shore U. (Manhasset, NY) / IM

Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr / Gen Surg

CA Pacific Med Ctr / Psych

U Nevada Affil Hosp / ObGyn

UCLA / IM

Kaiser Permanente (LA, CA) / Medicine - Prelim
USC / Neuro

Massachusetts General Hospital / Medicine - Prelim
Johs Hopkins / EM

Kaiser Permanente (LA, CA) / Peds
Stanford / Child Neuro

St Mary Med Ctr (Long Beach, CA) / Med - Prelim
U. Maryland / Rad.-Onco.

Mayo / IM

Swedish Med Ctr (WA) / FP

Olive View Med Ctr (CA) / IM

U. Oklahoma / Gen Surg

NY Eye and Ear Infirmary / Otolaryngology

Kaiser Permanente (Fontana, CA) / FP

U Washington Affil Hosp. / IM

UCI / Path

VA Greater LA Health System (CA) / Psych (UCLA/SFVP)

UCI / Peds

UCI / IM

UC Davis / Otolaryngology

UNC / Gen Psych

Sutter Health (CA) / FP

Harbor-UCLA / Peds

UCSD / ObGyn

UCI / Psych

UCI / Peds

Banner Good Samaritan Med Ctr (AZ) / ObGyn

UV / Peds

UC Davis / Peds

UCI / EM

U Maryland / Psych (Sheppard Pratt)

UCLA Neuropsych Inst / Psych

UCSF / Peds

UCLA / Anesthesiology

UCLA Neuropsych Inst / Psych

UCI / Peds

UCLA / Peds

UCI / Medicine - Prelim
UCI / Anesthesiology

Cedars Sinai / IM

White Mem Med Ctr (LA, CA) / FP

Kaiser Permanente (Fontana, CA) / FP

UCI / EM

Cedars Sinai / Psych

Kaiser Permanente (SF, CA) / ObGyn

If I remember correctly, Medicine - Preliminary means that some programs require or suggest that one year of general or semi-directed internship is necessary before the program. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Hence, in the list when Medicine - Prelim is given, there is another listing directly beneath it. On the list, both listings go together, and to the same person.

Pretty good list, yes?

Members don't see this ad :)
SanDiegoSOD said:
Haha, I was thinking the same thing. What is this, preschool? I hope I get to fingerpaint when I get done with my sutures. :)

Anyone interested in hitting the local scene on the 6th? Maybe do a little bar hopping in our (potential) future home? :thumbup:

I told my girlfriend that we get to practice sutures and intubations. She said, "On what? You're going to sew up oranges?"

Smartass. Pretty funny though, I was thinking eggplants (saw it on an old episode of ER, I think).

I heard of an opthamologist that practiced "sutures" on grapes. Wowza...

OctoDoc said:
The Match List isn't posted (as far as I know). It was included in the acceptance packet that UCI SOM sent to me. The list said "for posting," so think it is public knowledge.

Here are the places on the list...

Thanks OctoDoc!!!!

Ummm, that match list for UCI is not really that good (its pretty average). You must be a pre-med. Take a look at other california medical school match lists like USC/Stanford/UCSF --- those are great match lists.

4th year, matched in plastic surg.

SanDiegoSOD said:

Bar hopping and Irvine aren't normally found in the same sentence... we'll have to go to neighboring cities to bar hop :p

But I'm definitely down to go hang out on the 6th and meet some of my future classmates :)

EnergyShotz said:
Bar hopping and Irvine aren't normally found in the same sentence... we'll have to go to neighboring cities to bar hop :p

Hmmm... how does drinking malt liquor in a parking lot sound? :cool:

ASX said:
Ummm, that match list for UCI is not really that good (its pretty average). You must be a pre-med. Take a look at other california medical school match lists like USC/Stanford/UCSF --- those are great match lists.

4th year, matched in plastic surg.

Maybe for the number in each specialty, I haven't counted. I was referring to the representation. UC schools, MGH, etc. Very encouraging! And no different than the other UC schools.

Yes, I am a pre-med, starting this fall. That is obvious from this thread. Yes, I have done my homework (i.e. looking at other California medical school match lists like USC/Stanford/UCSF). Yes, they are great match lists. And yes, I have been around the block. The UCI match list tells me that I and my fellow UCI students are in good company, and can look forward to residencies at great places.

Congratulations on your match. Try to be nice to the med students, you were in their shoes not too long ago.

Sorry guys, I wasn't trying to be mean, just saying that UCI's match list for this year -- and previous years... is never impressive, and some years downright crappy (1 derm, 0 plastics this year?). This is a reminder for people for which med school you choose, I never really looked at this stuff when I was pre-med, but overall, things don't change much year to year in the match-- and it will affect you 4 years form now when you are looking at residency.

ASX - Are you a UCI student? Or a student at another Cali school? Forgive me for being slow in case you already made it clear, im just curious where you get your perspective from.

ASX said:
Sorry guys, I wasn't trying to be mean, just saying that UCI's match list for this year -- and previous years... is never impressive, and some years downright crappy (1 derm, 0 plastics this year?). This is a reminder for people for which med school you choose, I never really looked at this stuff when I was pre-med, but overall, things don't change much year to year in the match-- and it will affect you 4 years form now when you are looking at residency.

ASX - Why do you judge match lists by the number in certain specialties and not the locations? You said that you matched in plastics. Your example of why UCI's match list isn't impressive is that there are 1 derm, 0 plastics matches this year suggests that you judge match lists, at least in part, by placements in the categories in which you are interested. Few placements in a particular category may simply reflect the interests of the student body at that school.

I, for one, do not intend to go into derm or plastics. Why would I base the quality of a match list on placements in those categories? Without knowing for certain which area of medicine I prefer, is it not better to judge a match list by the locations, instead of the disciplines?

I would deem a match list sub par if the representation of locations is unimpressive. With regard to UCI, the breadth of quality locations is no different than those of the other California schools. Compare specifically UCI to UCSF and USC's 2006 match lists.

Also, the better performing medical students at UCI will match in the specialties that they choose. Just as with other California schools.

Lastly, please consider the scope of this thread. It is for students accepted to the 2010 class at UCI. We all have our reasons for considering UCI as our school of choice. Subverting our enthusiasm (whatever is the intention) won't go well here.

OctoDoc said:
Lastly, please consider the scope of this thread. It is for students accepted to the 2010 class at UCI. We all have our reasons for considering UCI as our school of choice. Subverting our enthusiasm (whatever is the intention) won't go well here.

Amen. The match list looks comparable to USC and UCLA, except there is less specialization. Thats not a bad thing, like what was said, it depends on the scope of the students/school.

is anyone planning to make their own "revisit day"? i can't make it on 5/7, and i'm going the last weekend in april instead. hopefully it will still be an informative visit...it would be great if we could still stay with student hosts, etc.

No real motives here, I just wanted to give you some advice. I go to another California med school. And also, I made a mistake, 0 derm, 0 plastics.

You can't really take that by itself, but I do know quite a bit of their class and that they did have people apply to, but did not match in those 2 specialities.

I wasn't trying to curb your enthusiasm, I initally was just amused at the spin/commentary on UCI. Read the newspaper -- its not all rosy. But don't trust my word, read the LA Times.

ASX said:
Read the newspaper -- its not all rosy. But don't trust my word, read the LA Times.

I read the article to which you referred. There was also one in the Orange County Register.

I was initially concerned about how it would affect the medical students, but realize that the problems with the hospital won't visit upon the students.

Also, UCI has a new hospital in the works. Construction to be completed in 2009. If I remember correctly, it will be on campus. And in time for my 4th year (too bad not a year sooner!). And if I go MD/MBA, the hospital will have had a one-year shake down cruise before I do my "4th" year.

By the way, with regard to the UCI students that you mentioned that tried and did not secure a residency in derm or plastics, without knowing their exact stories, one cannot know why they did not match in those specialties. Maybe they were poor students, didn't have adequate resumes (read: experiences ancillary to grades and board scores), or didn't interview well. I seriously doubt it was simply because they graduated from UCI.

I don't know all of the details. My faculty interviewer was telling me about it. I think he said the groundbreaking has recently occurred, or will occur soon - I can't remember, I was preoccupied with the interview. I also don't know how big will it be, how comprehensive the services, etc. I'm also surprised that UCI's website doesn't discuss it.

This is from the UCI Medical Center website:

http://www.ucihealth.com/News/UCI Health/05WinNewHosp.htm

The foundation of UCI Medical Center’s new university hospital is taking shape!

During the next several months, a steady progression of concrete trucks and construction workers will pour the base from which the state-of-the-art hospital tower will rise.

UCI Medical Center’s new university hospital—expected to open in early 2009—will provide patient-friendly features and the latest equipment to provide the best in patient care, research and education. The seven-story building is being constructed on the north side of the site of the existing medical center, which remains fully functional during construction.

During the past months, tons of earth have been excavated from the site in preparation for the foundation, which will be poured in a series of eight installments through early February. In order to minimize the impact on traffic for patients and others, construction vehicles needed for the foundation pouring are scheduled to be on site only on Saturdays and the two Fridays before Christmas and New Year’s Day.

(Yay!!! And...waaaahhh! It's not going to be on campus. But I guess by 4th year, we'll be spending all of our time in hospitals, so it doesn't really matter. But, if it opens in early 2009, will we be able to go there for the latter part of our third year? I hope so!)

cHocoBo 118 said:
I have a feeling it wont be available by our 4th year. These things seem to never be complete by the first projected deadline (e.g. UCLA's new reagan hospital)

Yeah, I know. But it's nice to dream. They started on the foundation before last Christmas, so maybe....

I want to be one of the people who gets to play with the shiny new toys and scuff the walls.

I live pretty close to the site. Maybe I'll go down there and help.

Hey, if any UCI waitlisted people are reading this - you go help, too, and update UCI SOM with another EC! :laugh:

Just recently accepted and jumping for joy. :luck: Im deciding btw UCI and Mt.Sinai...but definitely leaning towards UCI!! I cant seem to escape Cali!!! I'll definitely be there May 7th...cant wait. whooohooo!

Beckaroo said:
Just recently accepted and jumping for joy. :luck: Im deciding btw UCI and Mt.Sinai...but definitely leaning towards UCI!! I cant seem to escape Cali!!! I'll definitely be there May 7th...cant wait. whooohooo!

Congrats! Come to UCI. The air is too thin at Mt. Sinai.

arghhhh :(
i just found out i can't make it to the revisit day. i was really looking forward to meeting you all! but then again, we have 4 loooong years together to get acquainted.

does anyone have any idea when orientation is and around when classes begin? From last year's thread, it seems like the very beginning of aug. i wonder if its the same for this year.

I wish I had some actual info, but all the admissions office will tel me is "early august". So ya, you're pretty much up to date with your info :)

ONE vision said:
does anyone have any idea when orientation is and around when classes begin? From last year's thread, it seems like the very beginning of aug. i wonder if its the same for this year.

I found this from UCI's website:

http://www.ucihs.uci.edu/com/meded/.../Year1 Holiday and Exam Schedule 20052006.doc

The first exam for last year's first year students was 8:00 a.m., histology, on August 15.

That probably means classes begin at least a week earlier, and so the orientation is probably a couple of days before that.

That probably makes it the the orientation the first week of August, at the latest.

When you factor in moving and settling in, count on a short summer.

(Ugg. 8:00 a.m. exams. I am not a morning person. :sleep: This is going to hurt!)

this article came out today, and i would like some other people's thoughts on it:

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/homepage/abox/article_1094593.php

It discusses some of the recent problems that the UCI Medical Center has had and of the problems the faculty are facing. UCI now has a chancellor who trained as a physician...I'm not sure how that will impact the medical center but it will be interesting to see...I personally think UCI is on the up and up but maybe I'm biased because I really like the school.

One more thing- I remember someone posting an article a couple months ago about UCI's goal of climbing up in the med school rankings- I was wondering what kind of issues they were going to address? What do you guys think are some of the biggest problems facing UCI today and what do you think it will take to for the school to grow past them?

cHocoBo 118 said:
wow awesome article. thanks anystream.
about this quote:
"UCI has always been in an iffy (geographical) area," said Sheryl Bourgeois, who, as development director for Chapman University, has watched UCI struggle with medical fundraising. "It's not like Hoag, where they are positioned geographically in a pretty desirable area. And the clientele (at UCI) is not the right constituency to be giving to campaigns."

... this makes me wonder why we are building the new hospital right next to the old one? I feel like building a hospital next to our campus in irvine (a much more affluent city) would bring in a lot more of the desired middle-class patients with private insurance and yet still be close enough to attract patients from santa ana where many of the indigent people of OC reside. i dont know... just a thought.

I'm guessing that it has to do with the UCI Medical Center charter. The article also says that they are going to raze the old building.

I'm hoping that there won't be any UCI stink that follows UCI med school graduates to residency and beyond. I'm wondering why the article was written in the negative, instead of in a positive light, i.e. "UCI Medical School is Poised to Meet the Challenges of 21st Century Medicine," or something like that. I'd bet that focusing on the negatives is nothing more than sensationalism - what makes the biggest impact now. In a few years we will see pro-UCI articles in the papers, for the same reason, sensationalism.

I don't think that the problems with the UCI medical campus will affect the medical students in a significant way. I'm still going to get a great education, and UCI, for it's problems, will still put me into a good residency position. Who knows, I may want to go to UCI Medical Center for a neonatology fellowship.

who here is taking a guest to the revisit day? i'm thinking about taking my younger sister since she just found out she's starting undergrad at UCI this fall.. I'm excited to check the place out again with her. I hope I'm not the only one bringing a guest though so she doesn't feel out of place or anything.

and i'm very excited to meet you all. :)

anystream said:
who here is taking a guest to the revisit day? i'm thinking about taking my younger sister since she just found out she's starting undergrad at UCI this fall.. I'm excited to check the place out again with her. I hope I'm not the only one bringing a guest though so she doesn't feel out of place or anything.

and i'm very excited to meet you all. :)

I'm bringing my fiancee to the revisit day. For me, it is a get-another-look-at-the-med-school-that-I'm-going-to day. See you all there!

The new hospital is a replacement hospital for one part of the old hospital (which would have required enough earthquake retrofitting and repairs after northridge to make the costs of doing so about the same as building a new replacement hospital). So it pretty much has to be at the same place as the old hospital--it is afterall a replacement hospital. Despite UCI struggling somewhat financially because of it, I like the fact that UCI is the main hospital serving the lower-income individuals in the area. Such an experience, I believe, shapes you to be a very different doctor than if most your patients were wealthy.

admin is thinking about one day building a hospital on the Irvine campus. But obviously the costs for that...let's just say UC regents doesnt quite have the budget for it. Plus the area is a little bit saturated in the first place.

cHocoBo 118 said:
wow awesome article. thanks anystream.
about this quote:
"UCI has always been in an iffy (geographical) area," said Sheryl Bourgeois, who, as development director for Chapman University, has watched UCI struggle with medical fundraising. "It's not like Hoag, where they are positioned geographically in a pretty desirable area. And the clientele (at UCI) is not the right constituency to be giving to campaigns."

... this makes me wonder why we are building the new hospital right next to the old one? I feel like building a hospital next to our campus in irvine (a much more affluent city) would bring in a lot more of the desired middle-class patients with private insurance and yet still be close enough to attract patients from santa ana where many of the indigent people of OC reside. i dont know... just a thought.

For those going to second look, are you all pretty confident about attending UCI? Or is this trip going to help you make your final decision?

Ok, new question :)

Anyone get their financial aid package yet?

cHocoBo 118 said:
i'm definitely one of those people going to the second look purely for fun. The only thing that would stop me at this point is if i get off the waitlist at UCLA.

and no I didnt receive fin. aid. yet. I'm actually about to file it now that I completed my taxes.

Woah... about to file FAFSA? Arent you... how shall we say this... Screwed? The deadline for priority financing was over a month ago! :eek:

SanDiegoSOD said:
Woah... about to file FAFSA? Arent you... how shall we say this... Screwed? The deadline for priority financing was over a month ago! :eek:

CocoBo probably meant filing for UCI financial aid, the deadline of which is May 1. One can fill out the FAFSA without having filed taxes yet (just use the info on the W-2's, 1099s, etc.).

I filed all of my forms, but I am still waiting on my parents tax return... :rolleyes:

So what does UCI financial aid require? Other than FAFSA, I sent in my tax return and my parents tax returns, along with the "primary care" loan sheet... anything else? As far as I know, that's it. That's all the Fin Aid office mentioned when I spoke to them, I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything +pissed+

SanDiegoSOD said:
So what does UCI financial aid require? Other than FAFSA, I sent in my tax return and my parents tax returns, along with the "primary care" loan sheet... anything else? As far as I know, that's it. That's all the Fin Aid office mentioned when I spoke to them, I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything +pissed+

FAFSA
2006-07 Primary Care Certification Form
2005 Student Tax Return
2005 Parent Tax Return

If the website says, "Your application is complete and all documents were submitted on time," then you're fine.

My status is complete as of today, so I hope to hear from them soon!

On another matter, do we have to put down a deposit to secure a spot? I sent in the forms, but I didn't see anything about a deposit. Does anyone know for certain about this?

cHocoBo 118 said:
so is there a curriculum change being made for our class? An MS1 on the UCI v Northwestern thread mentioned this. Anyone know anything regarding the changes?

I saw that other thread too. I'd like to know the schedule, so I can steel myself against it!

Have you guys been looking at UCI housing yet? I was looking at the Vista del Campo website (http://www.vistadelcampo.com), and I've got to admit, it looks pretty sweet. The price is definitely steep, but if the prices include utilities/internet/cable, it's really not too bad, especially considering the money that will be saved on gas from not having to drive to school. Plus, if the fitness center is good enough, a gym membership won't be necessary. Any thoughts on housing? Lets keep this thread alive! :D