UC Irvine (UCI) class of 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
lebam said:
Hi guys,
I'm going to be driving to Cali next week from Seattle. I'm excited! About housing, I called Palo Verde and apparently I'm toward the end of the waitlist (for family housing). I never did the app for VDC, is it worth doing/too late to do? I'm thinking about living in Costa Mesa (seems cheaper than irvine) and commuting. Anyone have any experience with living off campus?

Hi lebam,

I'm not from SOCAL, but I do know that traffic is almost always an issue. I HATE commuting with a capital H, esp with traffic. I had to commute from SF to Oakland for a year (which is theoretically the reverse commute), and it sucked so bad that I moved to Oakland.

It might be a good idea to call in VDC and VDC norte and find out about your chances. From my understanding they've got a ton of new housing. VDC has been called "the best value in Irvine," by a 4th year in this thread, and others seem to like it too. The worst you have to lose is the $20 application fee.

Good luck - see you in 3.

Members don't see this ad.

BAM! said:
Hi lebam,

I'm not from SOCAL, but I do know that traffic is almost always an issue. I HATE commuting with a capital H, esp with traffic. I had to commute from SF to Oakland for a year (which is theoretically the reverse commute), and it sucked so bad that I moved to Oakland.

I feel you on this, BAM!. I really dislike the concept of living on campus again (VDC), but even more than that, I dislike the thought of commuting. I'll bite the bullet and deal with RAs on campus instead of having to drive to campus every day.

Lebam: A friend of mine (now a third year med @ UCI) lived in Newport last year. He loved it, as his condo was right on the beach, and it was much closer to a night scene than Irvine was. He said he did dislike the commute, especially when he has to go to campus for a stupid reason (small group meeting, for example), but he felt it was worth it overall.

I just signed up for the group too.

lebam I was gonna live in Costa Mesa. If you get a spot close to the 55 you are going to be fine. The 55 connects to the 73, you can get off on Bison before the first toll. Only the 55 would have traffic, but since you are only on it for a mile it would add maybe 15 minutes. The 73 exits almost into the medical school (you also get to avoid the lights with the extremely poor timing, one of my peeves). I would guess your door to door commute time would be the same as walking from VDC or PV.
yours,

A fellow commuter

Members don't see this ad :)
I was looking into living in costa mesa too. If you find a place near south coast plaza, you can jump on the 73 without going on the 405 or the 55 and get to school in about 5 mins. There is practically no traffic on the 73...ever. Most of the apartments around south coast plaza isn't that much cheaper than housing in irvine, but there is alot more to do around the south coast plaza area. Im trying to decide if i want to live off campus with my little sister (shes starting freshman year at csulb) or live in vdc with a random roommate.

BAM! said:
Hi lebam,

It might be a good idea to call in VDC and VDC norte and find out about your chances. From my understanding they've got a ton of new housing. VDC has been called "the best value in Irvine," by a 4th year in this thread, and others seem to like it too. The worst you have to lose is the $20 application fee.

Good luck - see you in 3.

There is no more $20 application fee. Just a $150 deposit with the application. btw..I applied for vdc norte two days ago and they called me yesterday with a spot. So i think the "waitlist" is very small.

thanks for all your help and advice!
Gracey, will they let you move in right away? I'll look into VDC, it sounds like a good option... see you guys soon!

lebam said:
thanks for all your help and advice!
Gracey, will they let you move in right away? I'll look into VDC, it sounds like a good option... see you guys soon!

Unless they have a room that is open (no student has a lease there right now), vdc said that I cant move in until sept 16. vdc norte said that they will try to get the graduates to move in eariler, but the earliest is late august/early sept. So if you can find alternate housing for a month, then it should be ok. I kno that arroyo vista and campus village offer summer on-campus housing until sept 15. Both of these places come furnished so you dont have to worry about that and its pretty cheap..cheaper than vdc. I calcuated it (cuz im looking into it too..not cuz im a nerd like that :oops: ) and for 6 weeks, campus village comes out to $670. I haven't contacted them yet, so i don't really know how it works or what I need to do. Hope I was some help.

-Grace

I "accepted" someone on facebook, but she didn't show either...hmmm. So if thats you try again!

did they mail you any financial aid packet/information?

ilovefood said:
did they mail you any financial aid packet/information?

I didn't receive anything yet...I just turned in my financial aid papers last week. BTW, do we need to buy a stethoscope b4 we start school? Are you buying all of the required and recommended books? Just wondering.

im just going to wait til school starts to buy it

bruinH2Oskier said:
if anyone is down in the irvine area before school and wants to meet up, feel free to contact me.

or if you just want to use me to see what pv looks like, that is cool, too.

[email protected]

You must be a Bruin... blekh... but if you are going to UCI then you must be alright. :) I live in OC, so I'm here if anyone wants to hang:

[email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
SanDiegoSOD said:
Thanks for the update, I've been looking forward to getting that. Did anyone else notice that our first exam is the morning of the first day of class? What the hell are they going to test us on...

i think the 1st exam is on the 1st Monday of classes. so we have 3 days of classes before our first exam. ouch!

I think the schedule looks brutal. 8AM - 5PM pretty much every day. I hope we get out early most of the time.

BAM! said:
i think the 1st exam is on the 1st Monday of classes. so we have 3 days of classes before our first exam. ouch!

I think the schedule looks brutal. 8AM - 5PM pretty much every day. I hope we get out early most of the time.

Agreed - this schedule looks awful. I didn't expect 40 hours/week of lecture/lab... Look's like I'll be continuing my undergrad tradition of never, ever going to class :eek:

SanDiegoSOD said:
Agreed - this schedule looks awful. I didn't expect 40 hours/week of lecture/lab... Look's like I'll be continuing my undergrad tradition of never, ever going to class :eek:

hahaha...see I don't think it's that bad. sure, lecture is always boring, but 4 hours a day ain't too bad, and the labs seem like they will be cool: handwashing, suturing, BLS...if we make it fun, it'll be fun. those days that have lecture all day will suck though...oh well!

sammyusc said:
You must be a Bruin... blekh... but if you are going to UCI then you must be alright. :) I live in OC, so I'm here if anyone wants to hang:

[email protected]

oh man...dec. 2 is gonna be a great day! (for those that don't know, that's the ucla/usc football game) because we are poor med students and won't be able to afford tickets to the game, we'll have to plan something here.

bruinH2Oskier said:
hahaha...see I don't think it's that bad. sure, lecture is always boring, but 4 hours a day ain't too bad, and the labs seem like they will be cool: handwashing, suturing, BLS...if we make it fun, it'll be fun. those days that have lecture all day will suck though...oh well!

Maybe I can test out of that particular lab, as I took a full year sequence on handwashing at UCSD. It was rigorous, I tell you!

As for Dec. 2nd... its definitely going down. I don't have loyalties to any LA teams, but I'm always game for some football and BBQ.

i thought they were going to make the curriculum better... now we have wayyy more classes :(

anyone know what bootcamp is?

SanDiegoSOD said:
Maybe I can test out of that particular lab, as I took a full year sequence on handwashing at UCSD. It was rigorous, I tell you!

As for Dec. 2nd... its definitely going down. I don't have loyalties to any LA teams, but I'm always game for some football and BBQ.

hahaha...at UCLA, handwashing wasn't offered, only Wiping 103 and Nose Blowing 104A

tell me I am not the only one who saw "Boot Camp-Hand Washing Vital Signs Use of Scoops" for 8/10.

We also have exams for nine out of eleven weeks in October through December.

by the way, does anyone know what Tag a long is?

BAM! said:

Wow... I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.

BAM! said:

i think it is shadowing a doctor

i'm having a **** of a time trying to get my housing settled and i thought you guys could help. first, i have an option of living in a 3/2 in palo verde starting 8/1 (tuesday!) with i think med students or living in a 3/2 at vista del campo starting 8/1 living with two non-medicine grads. i would rather live in vdc because i dont' want to have to buy a bed and the whole laundry thing. the pv leasing lady has been super cool and the vdc lady is impossible to get a hold of and not too friendly. what do you first years/second years think? what would be the better option? any opinions much appreciated

ilovefood said:
did you guys turn in your paperwork yet? the ones at the bottom of the link..?

hi...i am going to be a first year as well and I saw that you had mentioned a 'link' about the paperwork we have to turn in....where did you get the link? I've been looking at that main page where we can download all the forms, but I am worried that I may not be looking in the right place......is there an official vaccination form other than that text doc that tells us what we need to have? Thanks for the help

You have to scroll down a bit to find the links to the forms. This is what it should say:

Please complete and return the forms listed below to the Office of Admissions and Outreach by August 1, 2006. These forms will need to be printed, completed, and signed. Return them to:

UCI-SOM
Admissions Office
Berk Hall
Irvine, CA 92697-4089

• Emergency Notification
• Immunization Requirement Record
• Honor Code
• AAMC Matriculating Student Questionnaire
• Big Sib/Little Sib Questionnaire

BAM! said:

No one said it would be pretty (we had exams 10 out of the last 11)... That's why I'm telling y'all to enjoy your first couple of months.

BAM! said:

Later on during the year, you'll have all Monday and Friday afternoons off. Each one of you has to do something like 11 tagalongs during the year. Each of these are roughly 1-2 hour sessions where you either shadow a doctor or do some other clinically related activity (like visiting your senior partner). You don't have to worry about this until November, I think.

One more week...good luck guys!

joeyp said:
hi...i am going to be a first year as well and I saw that you had mentioned a 'link' about the paperwork we have to turn in....where did you get the link? I've been looking at that main page where we can download all the forms, but I am worried that I may not be looking in the right place......is there an official vaccination form other than that text doc that tells us what we need to have? Thanks for the help

what is the text doc????

the vaccination form is the immunization record form... it's in the link they sent us.. listed above

What is the user name and password required to go into the health science webpages? the web address that i copied and pasted from the calender requires some kind of password.

ilovefood said:
what is the text doc????

the vaccination form is the immunization record form... it's in the link they sent us.. listed above

hey, sorry about that and thanks for the help given. I was looking at the links to the pdf's and word doc's above that like the 'policy on health clearance' etc. At least now I know what's going on. Thanks again.

cHocoBo 118 said:
I cant believe orientation is only a week away. I just got back from being out of the country for a month so I have so much paperwork to fill out and turn in tomorrow.

I'm so excited for school to start and yet... i'm so enjoying this lifestyle of doing absolutely nothing.

what paperwork??

what is "text doc"?

ilovefood said:
what paperwork??

what is "text doc"?

Five documents are due tomorrow... Check out our classes webpage.

cHocoBo 118 said:
i dont know. They offered me both and i chose norte cause its brand spankin new. I didnt bother with PV or verano... though i hear PV is decently nice.

Hey there - just curious if your lease at VDC norte stars sometime in August? Or if not, what other plans did you decided to follow until Sep.16...

Thanks.

can you tell... i'm a really bad procrastinator. :eek:

Did anyone get their email account set up yet? DId you receive anything from the admissions office about our account?

correct, email comes at orientation.

and yes, you do get a lot of handouts (called "core notes") - and for that reason - wait on textbooks.

I know some people went all out last year and bought textbooks ahead of time, but when you see how large these core notes are, you'll start to wonder if you can even get through those let alone supplementary textbooks.

good luck everyone...

Has anyone else moved into VDC yet?

Ok gang, just chill it with the anxiety about the tests. I know, my class was the same way, but that first "test" is a joke. REALLY!!! The schedule is not as bad as it looks. you will have more free time than you are thinking.

Anyways, for those of you who get this and are in the area, me and a couple of my classmates are gonna go out for pizza and beer to a really cool place (Gina's pizza)right next to campus tomorrow night (friday) and invite any of you first years who are here and want to come. We can fill you in on first year, and hopefully alleviate your concerns. We were all in your shoes a short year ago.

If you want to come, dont hesitate to get a hold of me at [email protected]

We will probably go around six or so.

See any of you then!! Dave MS2

anyone need a roomate or still looking for housing?

Alright ladies and germs - its showtime. See you tomorrow! :D