UC Irvine (UCI) vs. UC Santa Barbara (UCSB) for Pre-Medical.

Trantrum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like some opinions about the schools because I can't decide where to go.

I'm being offered similar financial aid at both schools, so money isn't a huge deciding factor.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Both are great schools, go with your gut, but pick your poison carefully:

Regina-UCI-10.jpg

2.jpg

UCI has a med school so that will help get med related research, shadowing, clinical experience easier than UCSB. Be prepared to compete against a lot of Asians at UCI though (~50% there vs. just ~20% at UCSB).

Members don't see this ad :)
UCI has a med school so that will help get med related research, shadowing, clinical experience easier than UCSB. Be prepared to compete against a lot of Asians at UCI though (~50% there vs. just ~20% at UCSB).

whoa whoa whoa

Last edited by a moderator:
uci has a nice surburban vibe, and housing is really really nice all around tho expensive
and buildings are very newish and fancy, but ur competition will be fierce

ucsb has way cooler events, closer to beach, has state st. such a very old-world vibe and park-lke atmosphere and has very nice genomics professors from what ive heard

id pick ucsb

@slowpoke: LOL, thank you.
@flatearth: In my opinion, those are the exact pros and cons for UCI. Pro: Access to research, shadowing opportunities, clinical experience. Con: More competitive compared to UCSB, which isn't overpopulated with pre-meds.
@romanjetfighter: Ahh, thank you for your input! I'll take those into consideration.

Any more feedback?
:D

Last edited:
Moving to hSDN.

Last edited:
i live 2 mins away from UCI and 95% of my graduating class that went to a 4 yr university endd up there. I did not go to UCSB and only know of one other person that was pre-med there (now she dropped out of a PA school so who knows) so can't really speak much for it.
Irvine is epitome of the burbs. Going to school in a big city, I found Irvine to be particularly stifling and boring when I moved back.
Academically, I've taken a few science classes at UCI and though they were much easier than at the school I attended, you ARE competing with a lot of people. I'm not sure about how big the premed population is at UCSB but it's huge at UCI. Every 3rd person I know that goes there is planning oin going to med school. They DO have a med school so that allows for a lot of opportunities and research but be aware that there is a lot of competition. It's not a walk in the park.
I think SB's environment would be a lot more enjoyable, though. I hate Irvine.

@physcigirl: I'm a bit worried about the competition, but the medical school opportunities are drawing me towards UCI. Do you know if it's possible to find the same opportunities at UCSB?