-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
UC San Deigo Pre-Medical Post-baccalaureate Program 2016-17
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Yeah I got a response as well:
"You should be receiving an email from the Post Bac Pre Med director regarding the Admissions Committee's decision in the upcoming days.
The best of luck,"
Does this mean that there are potential interview invites in this batch of emails? So cryptic!
idk, but the suspense is killing me 🙁Does this mean that there are potential interview invites in this batch of emails? So cryptic!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello!
I'm just now joining this chat.
I also applied the day of the deadline and my application still says "reviewing application," I also got the email saying we will know in the upcoming days. So I feel they are going in order of when you applied.
Fingers crossed for all of us!!!
I'm just now joining this chat.
I also applied the day of the deadline and my application still says "reviewing application," I also got the email saying we will know in the upcoming days. So I feel they are going in order of when you applied.
Fingers crossed for all of us!!!
I am, Im looking to send it this week actually! Doing final reviews. How about you?Yeah mine has said that since 1/25/16 too. Anyone working on the UC Consortium as well?
I applied close to the end of the deadline as well, and right now it says "Program Qualification Review". There definitely has to be more interviews being sent out later. We shouldn't start freaking out until mid-March..
Yeah I'm just finalizing my last essay and waiting on one LOR which is making me a little nervous but it should be okay. Are you applying to all of them?I am, Im looking to send it this week actually! Doing final reviews. How about you?
Yeah I applied I think literally on the deadline date. Yours says "Program Qualification Review" though? Mine still says "Reviewing Application, Next Step: Program Qualification Review"I applied close to the end of the deadline as well, and right now it says "Program Qualification Review". There definitely has to be more interviews being sent out later. We shouldn't start freaking out until mid-March..
Yeah I'm just finalizing my last essay and waiting on one LOR which is making me a little nervous but it should be okay. Are you applying to all of them?
Yeah I applied I think literally on the deadline date. Yours says "Program Qualification Review" though? Mine still says "Reviewing Application, Next Step: Program Qualification Review"
I just looked at it again and it says the same thing! I also just sent the UC Consortium today, and yes to all of them. However, I mailed my LOR and sent my transcripts before sending in my application so I don't have any update if they received my information or not :/
Got denied yesterday. They sent out some rejections yesterday. Posting this just so a lot of you can rest easy and not worry too much.
My stats were 3.1 cGPA, 2.89sGPA, I have pretty solid extra-cirriculars, volunteering, and I work as an EMT on a 911 ambulance. Graduated June 2015 with B.S. Biological Sciences. 1890 SAT from 2010. (No MCAT) I also had what I thought were some pretty good personal statements and good letters of rec.
I ultimately think my GPA was too low for them to gamble on. Hope this information helps you guys! Best of luck 🙂
... and while I'm at it... would anyone be able to recommend me some solid Academic Enhancing post-bacc programs that don't require an MCAT? I have been looking and currently plan on applying to UPenn, UC Consortium and Temple. Are there any others that you guys could recommend that I could apply to with my 3.10 GPA. I am open to DO post-bac linkages along with regular post-bacc/SMPs. Thanks!
My stats were 3.1 cGPA, 2.89sGPA, I have pretty solid extra-cirriculars, volunteering, and I work as an EMT on a 911 ambulance. Graduated June 2015 with B.S. Biological Sciences. 1890 SAT from 2010. (No MCAT) I also had what I thought were some pretty good personal statements and good letters of rec.
I ultimately think my GPA was too low for them to gamble on. Hope this information helps you guys! Best of luck 🙂
... and while I'm at it... would anyone be able to recommend me some solid Academic Enhancing post-bacc programs that don't require an MCAT? I have been looking and currently plan on applying to UPenn, UC Consortium and Temple. Are there any others that you guys could recommend that I could apply to with my 3.10 GPA. I am open to DO post-bac linkages along with regular post-bacc/SMPs. Thanks!
Hey everyone,
Just found this thread. I applied pretty early (mid-December) and got an interview invite about a week ago. Just did my interview today and it went well. Standard questions. We'll see what happens. Good luck everyone!
@ElectricNuts24 I would check out CSU east bay's program. Pretty decent one and you should be able to get in. Also it's a bit of a long shot but Midwestern's masters program is an option. Also UCLA's extension Postbac program you can basically just take classes
Just found this thread. I applied pretty early (mid-December) and got an interview invite about a week ago. Just did my interview today and it went well. Standard questions. We'll see what happens. Good luck everyone!
@ElectricNuts24 I would check out CSU east bay's program. Pretty decent one and you should be able to get in. Also it's a bit of a long shot but Midwestern's masters program is an option. Also UCLA's extension Postbac program you can basically just take classes
Hey nice, good luck! Hope you get it! What type of questions did they ask during the interview? Would you say there is anyway of preparing for it and how long was it?Hey everyone,
Just found this thread. I applied pretty early (mid-December) and got an interview invite about a week ago. Just did my interview today and it went well. Standard questions. We'll see what happens. Good luck everyone!
@ElectricNuts24 I would check out CSU east bay's program. Pretty decent one and you should be able to get in. Also it's a bit of a long shot but Midwestern's masters program is an option. Also UCLA's extension Postbac program you can basically just take classes
Basic questions f.e. Tell me about yourself. No real way to prepare, just be yourself. They like to hear about underserved populations and we got into a discussion about do/md in a very casual way. I'm sure length varies but mine was about half hourHey nice, good luck! Hope you get it! What type of questions did they ask during the interview? Would you say there is anyway of preparing for it and how long was it?
Anyone hear any updates this week? Mine still shows the same..
Hi Guys, I am also new to this thread. I submitted my application Jan 24th and went in for an interview Feb 25th . They mentioned that we will find out if we are accepted the week after spring break . If anyone went to the interview did you ask when classes start and the time format? I'm so curious
For this year, our classes started at the very end of June. The classes follow along with the UCSD undergrad quarter system, so you can expect a class schedule very similar to what you experienced in college - M/W/F or Tu/Th lecture blocks and discussions sprinkled throughout the week.Hi Guys, I am also new to this thread. I submitted my application Jan 24th and went in for an interview Feb 25th . They mentioned that we will find out if we are accepted the week after spring break . If anyone went to the interview did you ask when classes start and the time format? I'm so curious
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks, are you guys on spring break now?For this year, our classes started at the very end of June. The classes follow along with the UCSD undergrad quarter system, so you can expect a class schedule very similar to what you experienced in college - M/W/F or Tu/Th lecture blocks and discussions sprinkled throughout the week.
Thanks, are you guys on spring break now?
Nope, first week of spring quarter classes 🙂
Hey guys, I remember feeling anxious this time last year about notifications of acceptances. The program has lots of applications to go through, so try to be patient, even if it takes longer than expected! I just checked my email from last year, and I got notification of acceptance on April 22nd. That is by no means a suggestion that you'll hear back around then too, but just figured you'll feel better knowing that just because you haven't heard yet does not mean you haven't been accepted. IIRC, I expected to hear last year around April 1st. Good luck to you all, and I'd be happy to answer any questions about the program in the mean time 🙂
I'm not working, but one of my friends was working about 15-20 hours per week. It was tiring and she was stressed but she still maintained a 4.0. She quit her job this quarter to focus on classes and studying for the MCAT. I can't think of anyone else with a job in the program. Remember, getting that 4.0 is the entire reason you're doing this program. I am doing research and volunteering, totaling about 10-16 hours depending on the week. The workload is manageable, especially if you're not doing ECs or working. If you are, you'll have to be dedicated and good with time management. I probably study around 20 hours per week (more hours around midterms and finals) and I have a 4.0. I took the MCAT before the program started, which made my life much much easier. If you have time before the program starts, I highly recommend doing that. You can always retake it during the year if necessary.You're such a great help ! I have two questions. Are you working while in the program and how is the workload with the classes?
Okay Thank you !!I'm not working, but one of my friends was working about 15-20 hours per week. It was tiring and she was stressed but she still maintained a 4.0. She quit her job this quarter to focus on classes and studying for the MCAT. I can't think of anyone else with a job in the program. Remember, getting that 4.0 is the entire reason you're doing this program. I am doing research and volunteering, totaling about 10-16 hours depending on the week. The workload is manageable, especially if you're not doing ECs or working. If you are, you'll have to be dedicated and good with time management. I probably study around 20 hours per week (more hours around midterms and finals) and I have a 4.0. I took the MCAT before the program started, which made my life much much easier. If you have time before the program starts, I highly recommend doing that. You can always retake it during the year if necessary.
Just wanted to chime in on what I've heard about the workload (please correct me if I'm wrong).You're such a great help ! I have two questions. Are you working while in the program and how is the workload with the classes?
During my interview, I was told that we can usually start volunteering/working starting Spring Quarter, since the cohort's classes take up to as little as 1-2 days/ per week!
My classes are three days a week this quarter, but most everyone else has at least one class per day. But there are tons of free hours in the days when your schedule is stretched out like that, so you can definitely work or do volunteering. I've been doing ECs since the beginning of winter quarter and the scheduling has worked out fine.Just wanted to chime in on what I've heard about the workload (please correct me if I'm wrong).
During my interview, I was told that we can usually start volunteering/working starting Spring Quarter, since the cohort's classes take up to as little as 1-2 days/ per week!
Thank you so much for the insight!My classes are three days a week this quarter, but most everyone else has at least one class per day. But there are tons of free hours in the days when your schedule is stretched out like that, so you can definitely work or do volunteering. I've been doing ECs since the beginning of winter quarter and the scheduling has worked out fine.
I know you didn't hear back until the end of April last year, but I'm getting so anxious 🙈
Hey guys, I remember feeling anxious this time last year about notifications of acceptances. The program has lots of applications to go through, so try to be patient, even if it takes longer than expected! I just checked my email from last year, and I got notification of acceptance on April 22nd. That is by no means a suggestion that you'll hear back around then too, but just figured you'll feel better knowing that just because you haven't heard yet does not mean you haven't been accepted. IIRC, I expected to hear last year around April 1st. Good luck to you all, and I'd be happy to answer any questions about the program in the mean time 🙂
Hi Annie, thank you very much for this. It does say we'll hear back beginning of April, so I'm happy to hear they are probably just backed up. So exciting!
Questions for you guys:
1. Do you know how big of a cut they make for the interview stage? It doesn't really matter but I'm just nervous and want to know my chances. 2. Midwestern's MABS or UCSD Postbac?
I graduated as a bus major two years ago and spent the last two years doing career changer Postbac. 3.25 undergrad, 3.4 in Postbac, 3.33 BCMP. No Mcat yet. I got into an SMP, Midwestern's Masters Arts in Biomedical Sciences, which basically seems like the same thing as this program but different school, surroundings, and you get a masters. I like that Midwestern has no undergrad on campus, all DO, PA, PT, Dentistry, etc. students. Director of program very knowledgable, linkage to their DO school. Very rigorous program of course (the students say it's like the 1st year of 5 year medical school). I'd be happy with DO or MD and with my stats DO is prob more realistic. BUT I like the prestige of UCSD, how it has a huge hospital, its competitiveness, Mcat prep woven in, and it affects undergrad gpa; not so stoked on it being extension, taking huge lecture classes, being with all the undergrad, no masters. Any opinions?
Hey Mike,
I don't know how many people they will accept from the interview. As for midwestern, that is one of the two or three top DO schools in the country, so a linkage there is an awesome opportunity. Then again, UCSD has a linkage with Western, which is probably the best DO school. They don't accept everyone - this year three people applied and all three were accepted, but if more applied I think they were going to cap the number of accepted students from UCSD to about 3.
I think all three programs will be rigorous. Was the 3.4 from your postbac your best work/effort? If so, I would consider Midwestern if their linkage is for everyone. At UCSD, a 3.5 is expected to get a committee letter, and everyone has higher than that - most of us have a 4.0. Getting lower than that won't impress med schools. But, UCSD postbac offers free tutoring and tons of educational support if you're struggling in a class. Think carefully about your ability to get around a 4.0 before making a decision.
I was also concerned about the extension and big lecture aspect of UCSD. Being an extension student doesn't feel any different than being a regular undergrad. Two of your three classes each quarter will be with undergrads. I did really well in undergrad in a few of the classes they automatically enroll us in, so I have taken one alternative each quarter. That is a little stressful because we're not guaranteed a spot in an alternative class, but this quarter is the first that I haven't gotten into my first choice class. The class I did get into (Biology of Cancer) is actually awesome, and was my third choice anyway. The extension people work realllyyyyyy hard to get us enrolled, and we don't have to lift a finger, which is nice. IMO, affecting your undergrad GPA is really important - med schools look at that number immediately and it's important that it looks good enough that they don't set you aside before even realizing you did a postbac. Also, we all sit together in the undergrad classes, so it doesn't feel like you're lost in the crowd. We are also really proactive students, so we tend to go to office hours often and get to know the professors. That makes the class feel much smaller as well.
The third class you will take each quarter is just for the postbacs, taught by an amazing teacher named Steve. He does educational support for the med students - basically he knows everything they learn in medical school so he can help them, which means awesome info and opportunities to occasionally attend lectures at the med school for us! His class is very similar to first year medical school classes - pathophysiology of really common and interesting diseases, pharmacology, etc.
I think the master's thing is a non-issue. You're going to go to medical school - assuming your MCAT turns out well, I'd imagine you will at least get into a DO. Why would we need a master's?
It's a hard decision. Personally, I love UCSD. I'm thriving from feeding off the motivation of my friends in the cohort, the support from my advisor (who sits on the UCSD SoM admissions committee) and Steve. I'm really happy with my decision to go here. Seven people from last year's cohort (of I think around 23?) have been accepted to UCSD Med. Many of the other students are getting their acceptances to MDs around the country too. Their success tells me that med schools respect UCSD postbac. 🙂
I don't know how many people they will accept from the interview. As for midwestern, that is one of the two or three top DO schools in the country, so a linkage there is an awesome opportunity. Then again, UCSD has a linkage with Western, which is probably the best DO school. They don't accept everyone - this year three people applied and all three were accepted, but if more applied I think they were going to cap the number of accepted students from UCSD to about 3.
I think all three programs will be rigorous. Was the 3.4 from your postbac your best work/effort? If so, I would consider Midwestern if their linkage is for everyone. At UCSD, a 3.5 is expected to get a committee letter, and everyone has higher than that - most of us have a 4.0. Getting lower than that won't impress med schools. But, UCSD postbac offers free tutoring and tons of educational support if you're struggling in a class. Think carefully about your ability to get around a 4.0 before making a decision.
I was also concerned about the extension and big lecture aspect of UCSD. Being an extension student doesn't feel any different than being a regular undergrad. Two of your three classes each quarter will be with undergrads. I did really well in undergrad in a few of the classes they automatically enroll us in, so I have taken one alternative each quarter. That is a little stressful because we're not guaranteed a spot in an alternative class, but this quarter is the first that I haven't gotten into my first choice class. The class I did get into (Biology of Cancer) is actually awesome, and was my third choice anyway. The extension people work realllyyyyyy hard to get us enrolled, and we don't have to lift a finger, which is nice. IMO, affecting your undergrad GPA is really important - med schools look at that number immediately and it's important that it looks good enough that they don't set you aside before even realizing you did a postbac. Also, we all sit together in the undergrad classes, so it doesn't feel like you're lost in the crowd. We are also really proactive students, so we tend to go to office hours often and get to know the professors. That makes the class feel much smaller as well.
The third class you will take each quarter is just for the postbacs, taught by an amazing teacher named Steve. He does educational support for the med students - basically he knows everything they learn in medical school so he can help them, which means awesome info and opportunities to occasionally attend lectures at the med school for us! His class is very similar to first year medical school classes - pathophysiology of really common and interesting diseases, pharmacology, etc.
I think the master's thing is a non-issue. You're going to go to medical school - assuming your MCAT turns out well, I'd imagine you will at least get into a DO. Why would we need a master's?
It's a hard decision. Personally, I love UCSD. I'm thriving from feeding off the motivation of my friends in the cohort, the support from my advisor (who sits on the UCSD SoM admissions committee) and Steve. I'm really happy with my decision to go here. Seven people from last year's cohort (of I think around 23?) have been accepted to UCSD Med. Many of the other students are getting their acceptances to MDs around the country too. Their success tells me that med schools respect UCSD postbac. 🙂
Thanks Annie!!!! This is a huge help. Yes the 3.4 is Postbac so that 4.0 is a huge thing to consider. Also you are very right about the masters not mattering! Who cares if I'm going to Med school anyways, just some more letters on my name. It seems like the respect for UCSD's program is the tiebreaker and tells me I should go there if I get in. However, I am not confident about grades (although I will obviously do my best), but then again the grades should be just as hard to get at Midwestern. Again thank you soooo muchHey Mike,
I don't know how many people they will accept from the interview. As for midwestern, that is one of the two or three top DO schools in the country, so a linkage there is an awesome opportunity. Then again, UCSD has a linkage with Western, which is probably the best DO school. They don't accept everyone - this year three people applied and all three were accepted, but if more applied I think they were going to cap the number of accepted students from UCSD to about 3.
I think all three programs will be rigorous. Was the 3.4 from your postbac your best work/effort? If so, I would consider Midwestern if their linkage is for everyone. At UCSD, a 3.5 is expected to get a committee letter, and everyone has higher than that - most of us have a 4.0. Getting lower than that won't impress med schools. But, UCSD postbac offers free tutoring and tons of educational support if you're struggling in a class. Think carefully about your ability to get around a 4.0 before making a decision.
I was also concerned about the extension and big lecture aspect of UCSD. Being an extension student doesn't feel any different than being a regular undergrad. Two of your three classes each quarter will be with undergrads. I did really well in undergrad in a few of the classes they automatically enroll us in, so I have taken one alternative each quarter. That is a little stressful because we're not guaranteed a spot in an alternative class, but this quarter is the first that I haven't gotten into my first choice class. The class I did get into (Biology of Cancer) is actually awesome, and was my third choice anyway. The extension people work realllyyyyyy hard to get us enrolled, and we don't have to lift a finger, which is nice. IMO, affecting your undergrad GPA is really important - med schools look at that number immediately and it's important that it looks good enough that they don't set you aside before even realizing you did a postbac. Also, we all sit together in the undergrad classes, so it doesn't feel like you're lost in the crowd. We are also really proactive students, so we tend to go to office hours often and get to know the professors. That makes the class feel much smaller as well.
The third class you will take each quarter is just for the postbacs, taught by an amazing teacher named Steve. He does educational support for the med students - basically he knows everything they learn in medical school so he can help them, which means awesome info and opportunities to occasionally attend lectures at the med school for us! His class is very similar to first year medical school classes - pathophysiology of really common and interesting diseases, pharmacology, etc.
I think the master's thing is a non-issue. You're going to go to medical school - assuming your MCAT turns out well, I'd imagine you will at least get into a DO. Why would we need a master's?
It's a hard decision. Personally, I love UCSD. I'm thriving from feeding off the motivation of my friends in the cohort, the support from my advisor (who sits on the UCSD SoM admissions committee) and Steve. I'm really happy with my decision to go here. Seven people from last year's cohort (of I think around 23?) have been accepted to UCSD Med. Many of the other students are getting their acceptances to MDs around the country too. Their success tells me that med schools respect UCSD postbac. 🙂
Although, I am more likely to get into DO with my grades than MD, so it is a big advantage to have a great DO linkage. Both have them, like you said (SD with western and Midwestern with AZCOM) but I think Midwestern has a better connection because it's on their campusThanks Annie!!!! This is a huge help. Yes the 3.4 is Postbac so that 4.0 is a huge thing to consider. Also you are very right about the masters not mattering! Who cares if I'm going to Med school anyways, just some more letters on my name. It seems like the respect for UCSD's program is the tiebreaker and tells me I should go there if I get in. However, I am not confident about grades (although I will obviously do my best), but then again the grades should be just as hard to get at Midwestern. Again thank you soooo much
Definitely look into their linkage and see how strong it is! Good luck to you 🙂Although, I am more likely to get into DO with my grades than MD, so it is a big advantage to have a great DO linkage. Both have them, like you said (SD with western and Midwestern with AZCOM) but I think Midwestern has a better connection because it's on their campus
I was informed that the selection committee met last week to review the applicants that were interviewed. The Program Director will be emailing out decisions on Thursday! 🤢
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was informed that the selection committee met last week to review the applicants that were interviewed. The Program Director will be emailing out decisions on Thursday! 🤢
Ahhhh good luck everyone! My fingers are crossed.
I'm with ya, nothing yet!Has anyone else heard anything???![]()
Just got notified. On the wait listI guess it's too late in the day now to be getting any notices...
Nice! Better than rejection. Did you just get it now? Like after 5pm?Just got notified. On the wait list
Literally 10 min agoNice! Better than rejection. Did you just get it now? Like after 5pm?
Literally 10 min agothe suspense is killing me
Cool cool. Well congrats. You still have a chance!Literally 10 min ago
I haven't heard anything yet.Anyone else hear back?
I haven't heard anything eitherAnyone else hear back?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wonder if they're going alphabetically or if they're sending out rejections/waitlist/acceptances on different days. This is unlike what happened in prior years.Seems like the emails are being sent out one by one rather than in batches?
Me too! I've been checking since Wednesday lolI keep checking my email every 5 seconds.
Lol maybe they are going in alphabetical orderMe too! I've been checking since Wednesday lol
Hopefully they send all the acceptances out today...Lol maybe they are going in alphabetical order
Has anyone tried to call the office directly?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 1K
