UC schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iA-MD2013

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long does it take for them to send out secondaries after receiving the primary? If I get the primary complete in mid-July, when can I expect to get their secondaries?

Thanks for the help :D

Members don't see this ad.

I got them pretty quick - I can't remember the exact amount of time but I think it was only a couple of weeks. Good luck applying!

it definitely depends...most UC schools do a quick #s screen via a computer algorithm (gpa & mcat)...if you pass that screen, your secondary comes almost immediately (1-2 weeks). if not, your app goes into a huge pile that needs to be reviewed by hand to see which candidates with less than perfect #s still deserve a shot. that process can take much longer, anywhere up to 4 months later...

as a hypothetical:

Primaries rec'd: ~4000
Secondaries sent out in total: ~2000
Automatic comp algorithm then sent: ~1500
Hand-reviewed then sent: ~500

best advice i can give: even if you don't think you have the #s for a UC school, apply anyway. make ur app the strongest you can because in the end, it is still looked at before you are rejected. stay positive and don't get caught up in the numbers game. at the end of the day, doctors have to be good ppl as a whole and a few digits on a piece of paper mean nothing.

Members don't see this ad :)
it definitely depends...most UC schools do a quick #s screen via a computer algorithm (gpa & mcat)...if you pass that screen, your secondary comes almost immediately (1-2 weeks). if not, your app goes into a huge pile that needs to be reviewed by hand to see which candidates with less than perfect #s still deserve a shot. that process can take much longer, anywhere up to 4 months later...

as a hypothetical:

Primaries rec'd: ~4000
Secondaries sent out in total: ~2000
Automatic comp algorithm then sent: ~1500
Hand-reviewed then sent: ~500

best advice i can give: even if you don't think you have the #s for a UC school, apply anyway. make ur app the strongest you can because in the end, it is still looked at before you are rejected. stay positive and don't get caught up in the numbers game. at the end of the day, doctors have to be good ppl as a whole and a few digits on a piece of paper mean nothing.
That is EXCELLENT advice.

Everyone but UCSF will get you a secondary out pretty quickly if you have the numbers to make the 'cut'.

UCSF is different because they send out fewer secondaries and hand screen who they go to which is nice because they won't make you pay the secondary fee unless they feel you are a very competitive applicant. Most other schools (esp private schools) love to send out secondaries immediately so they can cash your 100 bucks!

I heard somewhere on SDN that UCSF only sends out secondaries to those who will be interviewed...I thought only Vandy did that. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

I heard somewhere on SDN that UCSF only sends out secondaries to those who will be interviewed...I thought only Vandy did that. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

There's still the possibility of a post-secondary rejection without interview from UCSF. I passed the primary screening but was rejected after submitting my secondary. Some other people in the UCSF threads did also.