UC stats, secs, interviews, rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qdefiant

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
please post your stats if you have applied to UCs ... so that others can have an idea of their timeline
I will go first.

mcat 10v, 12ps, 13bs,
gpa 3.65
secs all except sf
rejected sf w/o sec
interviewed: sd 10/14, irvine 10/31

have no idea why sf rejected without a secondary, maybe 'cause of bio req i don't have.

Members don't see this ad.

mcat 11v, 13ps, 13bs,
gpa 3.61
rejected ucsf w/o sec
not: ca resident, urm, disadvantaged

they seem to really want URMs, or folks with extraordinary volunteer experiences. i applied to 14 schools, though, and have interviews for 10, so while it's never good news to get rejected, i'm not going to stress it.

qdefiant,

i'll be at uci on the 31st too. i heard a strange thing about uci...heard it from someone that goes there now. uci doesn't reject anyone after post-interview. you're either accepted or you get put on the waitlist. anyone else heard that?

Members don't see this ad :)
gaberman, i think if you interview this early for a uc, then most likely you won't get an outright rejection, so they would put you on a waitlist, at least that's what i am hoping ... uci is my top choice ... and what are your stats?

not too exciting, but...

undergrad gpa: 3.7something
grad gpa: 3.9something
aug mcat: 9V, 9P, 9B
secondaries: ucsf, uci, ucsd
interviews: none
rejections: none

cali res, non-traditional

undergrad gpa: 3.78
post bac GPA: 3.98
aug mcat: 9, 9, 10, R
non URM, Cali res, non-trad
Received UCSF sec, no others

Any other Aug MCAT people receive secondaries other than UCSF?

Undergrad BCMP: 3.6
MCAT: 35Q
Volunteer/International/Government Service Experience
CA Resident, male, non-URM

Interview: UCSF (R 10/15, App Complete 9/30)
Hold: UCSD
Secondaries: UCLA, UCD
Did not applying to UCI

Originally posted by lll505

Any other Aug MCAT people receive secondaries other than UCSF?

someone on here posted that he/she received 4 before taking the mcat.

jtheater,
it's not too late to apply to uci, does anyone know if ucsf screens primary purely by the numbers, I got rejected w/o sec from them.

gaberman, uci is my first choice because closest to home, no housing hassles, otherwise, ucsd's program looks very attractive ... especially the student-run free clinics..but uci is not far back ...

Undergrad GPA: 3.5
BCMP: 3.6
MCAT: 34Q
Asian male, disadvantaged,
CA resident

MD/PhD applicant
secondaries from all UCs

waiting for file completion and interviews
UCs are known to be slow and random
good luck peeps

Z.

qde,

ucsf does look at more than just numbers during the initial screen. they look at gpa, mcat, personal statement (very important), ECs/leadership, and background.

gaberman,

that is true about uci. if you interview there, you are either accepted or placed on the alternate list, which is later reviewed and made into a high priority list (or something like that). uci is really interested in giving outright acceptances to students who REALLY want to go there.

Just to clarify..getting an interview this early does not mean that you cannot get rejected post-interview. While getting an interview at a UC brings you excellent odds for admission..nothing is certain. I know that last year, UCSF did not even have half of their acceptances mailed out after the feb 15th mailing. UC schools are slow, so you gotta have some patience. They are also somewhat random. Going from 5000 or so apps to 1400 secondaries is not an easy thing to do, and it is definitely based on a lot more than just numbers. I think the mcat is used more importantly as a cut-off, then it is for a reason to admit.

Best of luck to everyone in the process!

just want to bump this thread to the latest time reply

anyone else with uc stats

Members don't see this ad :)
i'll have a go at this
science gpa 3.9
overall gpa 3.5
mcat 30 Q

secondaries from-davis, uci, ucsd ( my apps were just completed last week)

haven't heard from la or sf

Undergrad GPA 3.67
MCAT 35
Currently working at UCSF
Good EC's, non-URM

Secondaries from all UCD, UCLA, UCSD; rejected without secondary from UCSF. I'm pretty disapointed about the UCSF rejection- I've had interviews at some really good schools already; is this something that's happening to other people? Is there a reason UCSF is rejecting us?

Undergrad: 3.7
MCAT: V12, P13, B14, R
ECs = avg, no publications, non-URM, trad
UC: secondaries from all

Interviews: none
Rejections: none (yet)

give me a freakin interview ya old foagies!!

Hey gaberman and qdefiant, I'll be at UCI on the 31st too...weird on holloween. Good luck to you guys.... :p

Undergrad GPA: 3.84
MCAT: V10 P11 B13 W-O
ECs: Nothing extraordinary

Applied to all the UCs, got secondaries back from all of them. Applications completed middle to late Sept., no interviews as of yet, :( Got 5 interviews on the East Coast though, :)

Here are my stats:

Science GPA: 3.92
MCAT score: 31Q

Secondaries from all UCs except UCSF and UCI.

I have good news and bad news. My top two choices are UC Davis and UCSF (see signature :)). But I haven't gotten a secondary from UCSF. Do you guys think that I should be worried that I haven't gotten a secondary from this school yet, but UC Davis was one of the first secondaries I got. What do you guys think?

GPA: good
MCAT: pretty good
EC: alright
LOR: no idea
Personal statement: decent
Personality: n/a

Secondaries: all
Interviews: 1
Rejections: none

Hope that helps.
:laugh:

mcat 10v, 12ps, 10bs,
gpa 3.85
Applied to and received secs from: UCSF
Haven't heard back since secondary...still waiting...

Undergrad: 3.8
MCAT: 30
Non-CA resident
Secondaries: Received UCSF (only one applied to)
Interviews: none yet

out of state regular M.D. applicant

GPA:3.8
MCAT:36
E.C.: lotta of research +pub.

applied: UCLA
interview: offered, no set time yet.

What's a good cheap hotel to stay in near UCLA? THX.

MCAT - 29P
GPA - 3.5
Tons of ECs
Non-Trad
Non-URM
And paying taxes in 2 states to maintain residency!

SD - Hold for interview
SF - Reject
Davis - waiting
LA - waiting
I - no biochem :(

I am trying to maintain calm....just want the UC's to call/e-mail/write....

MCAT: 34S
GPA: 3.9

Secondaries at all UC's I applied to (SF, LA, Davis,SD)
Interview at SD

California resident.

Ok, I'll add mine:) Here's hoping for some love from UCLA

GPA: 3.8
MCAT: 10V, 10P, 12 B Q
EC's: volunteer, singing groups (any a cappella folks out there?), non-research lab work

Secondaries from all
UCSD: Hold
waiting for interviews from UCLA, UCSF, UCI, UCD
Applications were all complete in September
No rejections

Good luck you guys!

Overall GPA: 3.77
BCMP 3.84
MCAT 12,12,14 Q
Lots of ECs, Int. exp., non-trad stuff; not URM

Interviewed: UCSF (9/30, app compl. 8/26)
"On hold": UCI and UCSD
Nada: UCD and UCLA

Hope this helps!

who's bumpin who off?

Anybody with recent interviews, can you please post when your file was complete along with your interview notification and your actual scheduled date. That way we can get an idea of how far the schools are backed up now. Thanks!

BananaSplit

please post if you have any news from ucsd after you interviewed ..... ucsd app completed 8/26, interviewed 10/14

Anybody know if you haven't received a UC secondary by now, should we just assume we aren't getting one?

Any non-Cali people applying to UCSF? I got an email about filling out another primary kind of app, something about problems with AMCAS. I'm wondering if it's even worth it to me since I'm out of state. 3.7 gpa, 34 mcat
any advice?

Siempre-

I'd say it is worth it, you have great stats. The primary app is really basically a repeat of AMCAS. You don't even have to fill most of it in, I think you can actually attach about 3 of the pages from AMCAS. Check it out, it's easy and there are no additional essays.

The UCs are so random that you just don't know until you do it. I got interviews everywhere I applied except for UCSF - they rejected me pre secondary with a 38 MCAT and (almost) 4.0 GPA, out of state.

Siempre,

Like Rapid Decomposition was saying, you just don't know. I got a secondary from UCSF as a non-cali resident with much worse stats than Rapid Decomposition. So, hope on and go for it!!!!

Thanks people, I'll add to my list of stuff to fill out.... which is next to my list of essays to write...which is just beneath my list of papers for classes......long semester keeps getting longer..
Anyhow, thanks!

So I haven't heard from UCSF for 10 weeks since app was complete...do they notify applicants they are not getting an interview before the end of the season? Does this mean I am on hold or something?

Yeah, the UC's are weird. I got an interview at UCSF, but rejects at UCSD and UCLA, out of state. Makes no sense.

any sdners in the a-pool at ucsd?

Originally posted by MGoBlue13
Yeah, the UC's are weird. I got an interview at UCSF, but rejects at UCSD and UCLA, out of state. Makes no sense.

Why does it make no sense?

People keep saying this about UC schools, so I'm just wondering.

I mean, there have been the patterns of UCSD putting lots of people on hold who are overqualified to get in, but that's not a rule.

They're just weird because even though they are all part of the same university system, they just seem to have drastically different admissions policies. I mean, UCSF is the most reputable of all the UCs, so if someone gets an interview there, one would expect to get one from UCSD and UCLA as well, but as you can see it's not the case. I got interviews at places like Penn, Harvard and Hopkins but didn't even get a secondary - they didn't even take my money! - from UCSF. Whatever, it's their choice, it just doesn't strike me as making much sense.

GPA: 3.85 or so
MCAT: 39q
non-trad (i guess)
interviewed at: UCSF, UCSD (and am now in the "acceptable pool") and upcoming interview at UCI

I have not heard from UCLA about an interview and I did not apply to UCD.

CA resident.

I think UCSD puts overqualified poeple (or rather people they think won't go there) in the accdeptable pool. This is partly based on the fact that one of my interviewers (the Dean) asked me point blank where I had interviewed (I had been to UCSF already) and if I had been accepted anywhree. It hought that was kind of weird. I didn't LOVE the school.

smid, when did you interview at ucsd, do you think files in the a-pool will be reviewed again at the next adcom meeting......good luck at uci.

Asian male, CA resident, traditional applicant (the joy)
GPA: 3.63
MCAT: 34S

UCSD: Hold for interview
UCSF: Rejected without secondary
UCD: Haven't heard from yet about interview
UCI: Interview on 11/14
UCLA: Interview on 11/15

They explained it to us after the interview day (the whole process of what happens). to be honest, I can't remember if they get reviewed every time the adcom meets (which for UCSD is every two weeks I think)

Has anyone been accepted yet? I would be interested in knowing their stats. I was kind of suprised by the letter saying I was in the a-pool, I would rather not know anything until THEY knew what they were going to do. I guess some people prefer it this way.

Ok I feel like i should add to this for those who are curious...

GPA: 3.58
MCAT: 33R

UCSD: Interviewed
UCSF: Haven't heard post-secondary
UCD: Haven't heard post-secondary
UCI: Interview on 11/25
UCLA: Haven't heard post-secondary :(

You can tell where my undergrad is!

I guess I'll post my info here too for other people to see, now that I have read other people's.

MCAT: 34S GPA: 3.99
CA resident, born and raised in India till high school

UCSD: On-hold (What does on-hold mean?)
UCLA: Interviewed 11/13
UCI: Interviewed 11/14
UCSF: Interviewed 10/21
UCD: Interview coming up!