This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crinkleyartist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! I apologize if this has been asked/answered already but I'm in the process of choosing a veterinary school and (until I hear back from Tenn) I'm choosing between Dublin or Midwestern. If someone could tell me more about the pros and cons of both that would be super appreciated! I'm really interested in hearing more about UCD's veterinary program! I know midwestern has a lot of hands on opportunities earlier on in the program and I wanted to know if UCD was similar.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

There's a "factors when picking a school" sticky thread there at the top. People list pros and cons there. However, cost of the school and tuition should always be the bigger factor if at all possible, because debt is no joke. I don't know much about the cost of UK and Irish schools but cost for MWU is pretty high. And midwesten is not accredited. Also, the cost of moving and flying to another country is something to consider.

I checked out that thread, it was really informative but there hasn't been anything posted on UC Dublin yet. Least not since I last looked. I've been considering the cost and according to my estimates, even with the exchange and travel Dublin might be cheaper. I was currently looking at curriculums and wanted to know more about what going to Dublin is like.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to send me specific questions on UCD's program, feel free to do so! I am a final year at UCD, so I know all of the ins and outs of the program. It is just hard for me to write a very broad post on the topic...

If you want to send me specific questions on UCD's program, feel free to do so! I am a final year at UCD, so I know all of the ins and outs of the program. It is just hard for me to write a very broad post on the topic...
Thank you! I sent you a message!

I'm going to attend Midwestern but haven't started there yet so I don't know much. I also don't know anything about Dublin.

MWU is expensive so definitely keep that as a consideration. But like you said, we'll begin hands on education right away, and even do surgeries second year.

If I'm not mistaken, even first years can assist on the mobile clinic. First years can do exams, vaccines, etc. while second+ do surgeries. I like shelter medicine so I'm excited and will sign up as much as I can.

The hospital is huge, new, and beautiful. We begin simulated activities also first year, I believe. They put a ton of weight into being day 1 ready to practice.

I've lived in AZ my whole life. Glendale is awesome and there's tons to do. Big city feel and tons of surrounding cities. Lots of hiking areas and pretty scenery and lakes. Mexico is about 3 hour drive, Cali beaches are about 6 hours, 2/3 hours north to get to snow. I also thrive in the heat. If you don't that's something to think about. Winters are beautiful though.

Hey guys,

I am also in the process of choosing a veterinary school, but I am also waitlisted at 4 other US schools. I was accepted at Dublin and would loooooove to go. But... three of the schools I am waitlisted at are my tops and I am hoping to get pulled off the waitlist into an accepted seat. I am worried about the messiness of lease agreements/roommate agreements if I have to terminate one in Dublin if that happens. Any advice??

I'm going to attend Midwestern but haven't started there yet so I don't know much. I also don't know anything about Dublin.

MWU is expensive so definitely keep that as a consideration. But like you said, we'll begin hands on education right away, and even do surgeries second year.

If I'm not mistaken, even first years can assist on the mobile clinic. First years can do exams, vaccines, etc. while second+ do surgeries. I like shelter medicine so I'm excited and will sign up as much as I can.

The hospital is huge, new, and beautiful. We begin simulated activities also first year, I believe. They put a ton of weight into being day 1 ready to practice.

I've lived in AZ my whole life. Glendale is awesome and there's tons to do. Big city feel and tons of surrounding cities. Lots of hiking areas and pretty scenery and lakes. Mexico is about 3 hour drive, Cali beaches are about 6 hours, 2/3 hours north to get to snow. I also thrive in the heat. If you don't that's something to think about. Winters are beautiful though.
I appreciate the feedback! Location and costs of Midwestern are really big factors for me but I love love love the program! ITs good to hear theres things to do in AZ. I'm from SD, CA so I'm not quite used to the desert but I'm not really a stranger to heat either.
Are you starting this year?

I appreciate the feedback! Location and costs of Midwestern are really big factors for me but I love love love the program! ITs good to hear theres things to do in AZ. I'm from SD, CA so I'm not quite used to the desert but I'm not really a stranger to heat either.
Are you starting this year?

Yep, I'll be starting in the fall. It's the only school I could apply to due to family reasons but I'm very excited about it!

There's a "factors when picking a school" sticky thread there at the top. People list pros and cons there. However, cost of the school and tuition should always be the bigger factor if at all possible, because debt is no joke. I don't know much about the cost of UK and Irish schools but cost for MWU is pretty high. And midwesten is not accredited. Also, the cost of moving and flying to another country is something to consider.
It has reasonable assurance, there's a difference. No school can be fully accredited until it's first graduating class is finished. I assume they have to see NAVLE pass rates if not more stuff