UCI Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BenzML320

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else pretty sure they are going to be an Anteater?

Members don't see this ad.

No one better post on here, or I will be REALLY mad...

and really sad too... :(

Sorry :(. If I knew how to delete a thread, I would.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey AID....

you do want to make sure that SOME people attend so you at least have some classmates right? haha.

Originally posted by BenzML320
Sorry :(. If I knew how to delete a thread, I would.

:laugh: Haha, I was just kidding! Thanks for the thought, though... So, how's studying for 164 going? I hate it :mad:

Originally posted by jlee9531
hey AID....

you do want to make sure that SOME people attend so you at least have some classmates right? haha.

People can come out from hiding AFTER I get in... until then: BEWARE!! :smuggrin:

Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
So, how's studying for 164 going? I hate it :mad:

I have a final tomorrow in banking I'm procrastinating for right now. Then I have 3 finals Tuesday. I'll get to 164 sometime on Wednesday. I like our professor.

I have a final tomorrow in banking I'm procrastinating for right now. Then I have 3 finals Tuesday. I'll get to 164 sometime on Wednesday. I like our professor.

WOW! :wow: Tuesday sounds like HELL! Good Luck!

Yeah, the professor is alright... he's always so nervous. It bugs, but he's cool. :cool:

I should mention that I'm annoyed because I'm going to get a B in the class and potentially a C+/B- in 111L lab. I've let myself slip big time. :(

Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
WOW! :wow: Tuesday sounds like HELL! Good Luck!

Yeah, the professor is alright... he's always so nervous. It bugs, but he's cool. :cool:

I should mention that I'm annoyed because I'm going to get a B in the class and potentially a C+/B- in 111L lab. I've let myself slip big time. :(

I'm taking too many units...very stressful time of year. What is 111L? Have you taken 113L yet?

I'm taking too many units...very stressful time of year. What is 111L? Have you taken 113L yet?

111L is Dev and Cell lab... it's a nightmare. 113L was my favorite of all of the labs. I took it Winter of last year. You'll like it. There are tons of points, so you can mess up once and not get a C! Am I bitter about 111L? You decide...

Eh, I'm still debating. UCI seemed much happier than UCSD but I decided that I'd die of boredom in Irvine on the day of the interview. No one from either school is very helpful in giving useful advice, so I'm still stuck.

Maybe people can elaborate on why they are excited about UCI?

so im not the only one who thought it was boring and desolate there.

but i did like the curriculum. ithe early clinical and small group stuff was pretty cool and unique. nice variety of clinical opportunities. if you like outreach and working with the underserved, obviously there are lots of opps there. students seemed happy there. i know one told me to make sure i dont go to ucsd cause of the long lecture hours and such. i guess the early clinical and small groups might be the only defining thing about uci. and i guess its more laid back. but ucsd is ranked much higher.

just some random thoughts. hope that helps.

Originally posted by docmemi
so im not the only one who thought it was boring and desolate there.

but i did like the curriculum. ithe early clinical and small group stuff was pretty cool and unique. nice variety of clinical opportunities. if you like outreach and working with the underserved, obviously there are lots of opps there. students seemed happy there. i know one told me to make sure i dont go to ucsd cause of the long lecture hours and such. i guess the early clinical and small groups might be the only defining thing about uci. and i guess its more laid back. but ucsd is ranked much higher.

just some random thoughts. hope that helps.

heh, yeah, this is what it boils down to. but i think i need to go and hear this from the horse's mouth (on both sides). on interview days i was in la-la land mentally.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think there are still quite a few lecture hours at uci too. they still start at 8 or 8:30 and go through several afternoons too right? anyone have a schedule? ucsd's is on the site.

looks like a pretty tough schedule also. i should find out about ucla! the thing is everything is password protected with ucla. and they told me to wait till second look to find out. arghhh.

yes, his links go to the same page, you'll have to back up and click through yourself.

don't worry docmemi, ucla's curriculum is definitely lighter than both of these, my student host let me use his laptop and browse through the class schedule and the other stuff they have online. trust me, ucla is the best choice of the three hands down.

Originally posted by Mr Reddly
YEAR 2
8:00-9:00 Skin Topics in Medicine /All
9:00-10:00 Common Dermatoses Topics in Medicine /All
10:00-12:00 Overview of the Immune System Topics in Medicine /All
1:00-2:00 Neuropathology II - Tumors-Choi Pathology /All
2:00-4:00 Neuropathology II-Choi Pathology /All

Looks Like fun! :D ....:eek: ...:(

Let the party begin.

I guess its not going to be a party either way and I should stop deluding myself!

Has anyone received information about the second look day/ weekend?

Is it really May 1st?

BenzML320,

What car do you drive? jtn.

Hi all!

I have a quick question. Between UCI and USC which one would you go to and why?

Thanks for the input!

Originally posted by calflowergirl
Hi all!

I have a quick question. Between UCI and USC which one would you go to and why?

Thanks for the input!

See, for me, this one is easy. USC beats UCI in my book... it has a better reputation and better location. I prefer LA to OC, and just look at the match list, clearly students do very well there. I don't think there is much difference curriculum wise... so that's really all there is to it I think. Its going to cost a *bit* more but does that really matter in the long run when you are going to make a six figure salary?

Hey DoctorKevin,

I don't get it... you are undecided between UCSD and UCI, and you'd pick USC over UCSD if u could???
I doesn't make much sense to me.
After all, most UC students end up doing great residencies in Cal. I don't think ranking matters unless you plan on going to the east coast for residency.

And yeah, $40,000 more or less of debt ain't much, but with interest rates it can become a difference of $80,000 and more! Why would someone indebt themselves when they can get into good residency IN Cal after attending med school at UCI, UCSD or USC??

Originally posted by DoctorKevin
I don't think there is much difference curriculum wise... so that's really all there is to it I think.

There actually is quite a difference between the two.

See, for me, this one is easy. USC beats UCI in my book... it has a better reputation and better location. I prefer LA to OC, and just look at the match list, clearly students do very well there. I don't think there is much difference curriculum wise... so that's really all there is to it I think. Its going to cost a *bit* more but does that really matter in the long run when you are going to make a six figure salary?

actually paying off those loans in a timely manner will be hard esp if i go into primary care where the 6 figures after taxes turns into a slightly above average 5 figure salary.

Hey DoctorKevin,

I don't get it... you are undecided between UCSD and UCI, and you'd pick USC over UCSD if u could???
I doesn't make much sense to me.
After all, most UC students end up doing great residencies in Cal. I don't think ranking matters unless you plan on going to the east coast for residency.

And yeah, $40,000 more or less of debt ain't much, but with interest rates it can become a difference of $80,000 and more! Why would someone indebt themselves when they can get into good residency IN Cal after attending med school at UCI, UCSD or USC??

OK I have no idea, I'm just thinking outloud here and looking for ideas and thoughts. I would like to do residency in New York City if I can't go to med school there so in that case I'm wondering if the better reputation of UCSD would make a difference.

I'm thinking I would end up with more debt at USC versus the UCs so its probably not the best choice in that respect even though I think I'd have more fun in LA, you are right. But when I think about other private schools, like Einstein, the housing is much cheaper and I wouldn't need to buy a car (which btw, I have NO idea how I am going to buy) so in the end I think it would be about equivalent to a so-Cal UC school.

Jalby,

Could you elaborate on the curriculum difference btw USC and UCI?

Jalby,

Could you elaborate on the curriculum difference btw USC and UCI?

Maybe at a later time. I'm a bit busy now. I'll do it sometime after the second look weekend.

here goes my 2 cents,

uci has one of the highest average board score among the uc's. we rocked the skills exam given to fourth years recieving the highest score among all the uc's. our tuition although rising is still much cheaper than usc. true irvine is not the most exiting city around, i'll be the first to admit, but lets be honest here once school starts your not going to have as much free time as you have now. the city is very clean and safe w/ plenty of places for you to get your study on but la, sd and the beach is not too far drive away if you want to get away for a while. if your thinking phd or more scientific/research line down the road than ucsd is probably a better choice since they make all their students do research. if your a chill individual who understands that you control your own destiny and not some stupid website ranking or blah blah from fools w/ too much time on online messaging boards than irvine is the place for you and we be glad to welcome you when you get here. either way you have some good choices to pick from. good luck w/ your decision.

OP

What is your avg board score???

Originally posted by OptimusPrime
here goes my 2 cents,

uci has one of the highest average board score among the uc's. we rocked the skills exam given to fourth years recieving the highest score among all the uc's. our tuition although rising is still much cheaper than usc. true irvine is not the most exiting city around, i'll be the first to admit, but lets be honest here once school starts your not going to have as much free time as you have now. the city is very clean and safe w/ plenty of places for you to get your study on but la, sd and the beach is not too far drive away if you want to get away for a while. if your thinking phd or more scientific/research line down the road than ucsd is probably a better choice since they make all their students do research. if your a chill individual who understands that you control your own destiny and not some stupid website ranking or blah blah from fools w/ too much time on online messaging boards than irvine is the place for you and we be glad to welcome you when you get here. either way you have some good choices to pick from. good luck w/ your decision.

OP

Just for the record, no one at UCSD forces you to do research. It is a very highly ranked research school, but it also produces many clinicians that go into internal medicine and family practice, etc. many of which specialize later on. The requirement for the "independent study project" can be fulfilled through clinical work too as long as you write a report about it... one of my tour guides was doing a project where she was speaking to high school students about STDs and teaching them about health issues. Someone else was doing their project through their work in one of the free clinics that was very public health oriented. If you do an MPH which is always an option, you don't have to do the ISP.

I think everyone is aware regardless of which school they attend that they control their own destiny. If someone is choosing the higher ranked school, it may be for other reasons as well.

Originally posted by Jalby
What is your avg board score???

OK if UCSD's is 225 I'm curious to see if UCI's is any higher since they are supposedly "more like a prep course" than UCSD which only teaches "useless scientific details."

OK if UCSD's is 225 I'm curious to see if UCI's is any higher since they are supposedly "more like a prep course" than UCSD which only teaches "useless scientific details."

I've heard the same thing. I know UCI does a ton more Shelf Exams, which are exams which are more like the questions you would see on the boards, which is good and also bad. It's good because you have lots of practice with the questions. It's bad because the questions are a lot harder than any questions you would get on tests otherwise and I would assume add to the stress level of the tests because you would have to search out a lot more information.

But I personally believe that any school who claims to have one the highest board scores should have the numbers to back it up. I'm willing to bet UCI beats UCSD for the reasons Doc Kevin quoted. UCSD spends a lot of time teaching stuff that you never have to know again, and it shows that a class with a 3.78 GPA and 32.7 GPA gets a 225. My school, with the first year of a new curric, got a 221 with a class with a 3.57 GPA and 31.5 MCAT.

who makes the shelf exams? is it the usmle people?

I think so. There was a long thread about them in the Allo forum a month ago. I had never heard of them for the basic sciences. My school does them for the clinicals, but not basics. I'd prefer to have them for the basics, but I'm probably in the minority of people.

I am a new member to these forums, but I am going to be going to UCI in the fall...I also grew up in Irvine so if anyone has any specific questions on the city, the surrounding area, etc please feel free to ask!

hbocc = huntington beach orange coast college? just a guess...:laugh: Do you go to UCI, by any chance?

haha...no, not exactly but that was a creative guess. :) and no, I didnt go to UCI, but went to highschool in Irvine.

just so you know... that uci schedule is a tad misleading. we don't actually have class every afternoon, though it may appear so at first glance. basically, we usually have class in the morning for 3-4 hours. on wednesday afternoons we often have class til 3, though this is typically a clinical correlate or behavioral science type of class so is pretty chill. then we have our patient doctor course on one other afternoon (either monday, tuesday, thursday, or friday -- depending on what group you are in). 3 of the other 5 afternoons are free. every once in a while we are expected to do a tag-along on one of those free afternoons. also, when it says "lab schedule A" 9-12, that does not mean that the entire class has class from 9-12. what this means is that those people in a certain anatomy group (there are 5 or so) will make 3 one hour presentations on their dissection. if you are in another group, you are supposed to go to one of those presentations. so basically, you have 2 hours of class on mornings or afternoons with anatomy unless you are presenting or are scheduled to dissect that day. if you are scheduled to present, you present that whole time. if you are scheduled to dissect, you go to the first presentation and then dissect the rest of the time (or whenever you feel like dissecting). it sounds confusing, but it has worked out quite nicely.

certain schools seem to get good reputations on here (e.g. uci, pitt, ), and other schools seem to get bad reputations (e.g. ucsd, finch) . i wouldn't rely on sdn to form your opinions about schools even though it is hard not to. for example, i've heard several classmates trash talk ucsd, but i can't imagine they really know what they are talking about since they have not gone to med school there! also, uci seems to have a great reputation on sdn. overall i am very happy here, but every school has its good points and bad points. try to find out what they are and where you best fit in. (i know, easier said than done.)

i feel that uci is a very good match for me. it is fairly low-stress (perhaps they go too easy on us?), i can live by the beach and go down to the beach nearly every day, the schedule is nice, and i enjoy my classmates. at times, however, the quality of teaching leaves something to be desired. i would imagine this occurs at most other schools as well, but just wanted to point out that everything is not 100% hunky dory here at uci. it is great overall, but every school has problems they are trying to work out. uci really does try to listen to student input, so hopefully its weaknesses will get straightened out with time.

these are just my opinions! i have classmates who went to different colleges/universities and might totally disagree with the quality of teaching thing. i'm just saying, based on the schools i've attended in the past, some (25%?) of the teachers here at uci are pretty bad. overall, i'm not too upset about this as i'm thoroughly enjoying the lifestyle here and know that i would be happier here than freezing my ass off in a dingy/dirty city at a med school with amazing professors. the only other real gripe i have is the number of monday exams. even though overall it is low-stress here, we have TONS of monday exams. that basically means we rarely get a weekend off. so i guess the fact that irvine is boring really doesn't matter cause i never friggin go out on the weekends ;). this isn't that huge of a deal to me b/c i feel like overall i end up getting more sleep, learning the material better, and being less stressed out/rushed, but having no life on the weekend does get a little bit old. i'm only talking about the first year schedule. things in second year may be a little different. everything else (in my opinion) really is great. i just hate to read on here how one school is amazing and another school sucks. so much of this depends on what kind of person you are and where you would best fit in.

Try paragraphs to seperate ideas. I've always thought UCI had a good rep here on SDN.

it is rumored that many ucsd students cried on match day this yr because many didn't match. apparently, their boards scores arent that high and they are reputed to have minimal clinical training (or some other reason). can anyone verify this?

nice. there are soo many persians in that class. interesting.

I just did a quick count of the above names and got 107. Since the class size is 120, perhaps a few did not match? Don't a few people drop out of every med school class?

I'm thinking the MD/PhDs finish at different times, plus probably a few do drop out. Not sure what's really going on there exactly, but that's just what I've heard about ucsd crying on match day this year.

I'm looking at this: UCI and USC's matchlist. It looks like both UCI and USC do even a little better than UCSD on the match. And many students tend to stay at their own institution, so why is there such a low amount of ucsd students going to ucsd residency? Is it because of the low # of spots, their residencies dont like to take their own students, or students like to go elsewhere?

I hope I dont seem to be saying bad things about ucsd, as that is not my intention. I am just curious for some answers to these discrepancies.

Eraserhead said:
I just did a quick count of the above names and got 107. Since the class size is 120, perhaps a few did not match? Don't a few people drop out of every med school class?

cbc said:
I'm thinking the MD/PhDs finish at different times, plus probably a few do drop out. Not sure what's really going on there exactly, but that's just what I've heard about ucsd crying on match day this year.

I'm looking at this: UCI and USC's matchlist. It looks like both UCI and USC do even a little better than UCSD on the match. And many students tend to stay at their own institution, so why is there such a low amount of ucsd students going to ucsd residency? Is it because of the low # of spots, their residencies dont like to take their own students, or students like to go elsewhere?

I hope I dont seem to be saying bad things about ucsd, as that is not my intention. I am just curious for some answers to these discrepancies.

What kind of person would cry on match day?

If I didnt match, or have to go to some boonie place to do a residency in a specialty I loathe, I might. I'm not talking about during the match ceremony, but perhaps during the night?

Eraserhead said:
What kind of person would cry on match day?