UCI Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Guys! I'm so excited to be joining you all in September!!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you get in off the waitlist??

Jalby said:
Did you get in off the waitlist??

Yeah, but in early June. I just decided to join the forums so that I can get to know some of my future classmates!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys need a secret sign or something like that. Like wear a red t-shirt the first day so you can recognize each other.

Hi! I just wanted to post and meet some of my future fellow anteaters!

...just got in off the waitlist today...stoked to be an anteater...now what to do about housing???

asdfjkl said:
Hi! I just wanted to post and meet some of my future fellow anteaters!

Hey! Welcome!! There are quite a few of us on here going to UCI this fall. Just to name a few: Me (Spiting Camel), Eraserhead, Twizzlers, tbruin, BenzML320, ZOT! ZOT!... and now you and MDinSD. We are going to have a wonderful class this year, I can feel it!

MDinSD said:
...just got in off the waitlist today...stoked to be an anteater...now what to do about housing???

Hi! Read the post above this one to get my welcome speech :) The first thing I would do about housing is to contact the housing office for the College of Medicine. Irvine is a very expensive area due to the Irvine Company's monopoly on all of the housing options in the city, but there are nearby cities that offer reasonable housing options if you are willing to commute. These include Costa Mesa, Fountain Valley, Huntington Beach, Santa Ana . I live in Fountain Valley and my commute is 10 minutes at most with no traffic.

Again, welcome to the UCI, home of the 'Eaters!

Hey guys! I'm gonna be joining you. Got my acceptance call today! UCI was my number 1 choice...especially since I live 5 minutes (biking distance) away from campus!

Pixye1 said:
Hey guys! I'm gonna be joining you. Got my acceptance call today! UCI was my number 1 choice...especially since I live 5 minutes (biking distance) away from campus!

Congrats on Irvine!!!! I'm so happy for you!!! Isn't it the best feeling ever?

You live so close!! Did you go to UCI for undergrad as well? If so, what year did you graduate and what was your major?

hey zot congrats!

nope my family lives in Irvine and I've been working in Newport beach as a personal trainer. I went to Vanderbilt undergrad and majored in Neuroscience. I can't wait to meet you and everyone else. This is a dream come true...UCI was my top choice! I am SO thinking that we should wear like red shirts or something on orientation day so that all of us can meet. ;)

hehe... I promise I will if you promise!! I can see it now... I'm the only one who wears it and everyone laughs because they know they were supposed to wear it but didn't. Maybe we should all wear a red ribbon, like the one for AIDS awareness... We should start a thread about it come late august!!

I can't wait to meet you either! YAY for UCI 1st Choicers!!!

edit: whoa! I just noticed! I'm a Neuroscience major too!!!! COOOOOOOOOOOOL! hehe...

pixye1, did you go to highschool in Irvine? I grew up in Irvine as well and am also going to UCI! I'll PM you as well...

As for housing, as other people said, th best bet is to live nearby in Newport, Coasta Mesa, Fountain Valley etc. The commute is nothing, the rent is cheaper, and you could also live by the beach! (and there isn't much nightlife in Irvine so if you want that closer, live in a surrounding city). The one thing about most of the places in Irvine is that a ton of them are new, most of them are super nice, so if thats your thing thats cool too. On-campus is probably the cheapest....but it may be hard to get...

Members don't see this ad :)
you guys should look into Vista del Campo... it's on campus, but privately run. the units are brand brand new, fully furnished, and the rent is pretty reasonable. the move in date is the only problem right now, but they say they are working on it.

see you guys in a couple months! :)

www.vistadelcampo.com

I'll be living on campus, most likely in Palo Verde although I don't think I will get my exact placement until about 30 days before orientation. I look forward to meeting everyone on here despite my inactivity on these boards lately (I'm trying to enjoy my freedom before it ends!).

Keep the thread going through August...

:)

thanks for the advice on the different housing options. i am from san diego, so i know a little about the area around irvine. also, do any of you guys know if UCI generates some type of list of incoming students who might be looking for roomates? it seems like everyone posting here has already made housing plans, but hopefully there are some others out there who are still looking...

hey guys, i just got into Irvine :). I was holding a place at Case Western's CCLCM program...but I'm totally THRILLED to be going to Irvine. BTW...are there any Hopkins people at Irvine?

WillHague007 said:
hey guys, i just got into Irvine :). I was holding a place at Case Western's CCLCM program...but I'm totally THRILLED to be going to Irvine. BTW...are there any Hopkins people at Irvine?

WELCOME WELCOME!!! Congrats on getting into Irvine! This is so wonderful! The class is coming together beautifully! I can't wait to meet my future classmates in person!

If you all don't mind, and if you are in the area prior to Irvine, I would love to show you all around! Just pm me and let me know when you guys are down!

Did I mention how wonderful this is?!? I'm really excited, guys! If you want to know who I am at orientation, look for the guy with the smile a mile wide!

Peace :D

congrats willhague!! i agree with zot this class is gonna rock.....super excited to meet all ya'll. I'd totally love to jump in with zot and show people around. i love irvine and the surrounding area, it's awesome here!

Pixye1 said:
congrats willhague!! i agree with zot this class is gonna rock.....super excited to meet all ya'll. I'd totally love to jump in with zot and show people around. i love irvine and the surrounding area, it's awesome here!

Thanks Pix! Now, all we need are takers for our offer! hehe... We'll start a thread later on in August, huh? People will be moved in then, I suppose.

Hey all

I had a qwik question about housing. For those of you who got into Verano or Palo Verdes for next year, would they have let everyone who was gonna get into housing for fall 2004 know by now. I know there's a waitlist and since I was admitted later from the waitlist, I'm guessing i probably won't get a spot at either complex for fall 2004....but just wanted to make sure.

angstrom55 said:
Hey all

I had a qwik question about housing. For those of you who got into Verano or Palo Verdes for next year, would they have let everyone who was gonna get into housing for fall 2004 know by now. I know there's a waitlist and since I was admitted later from the waitlist, I'm guessing i probably won't get a spot at either complex for fall 2004....but just wanted to make sure.

No, they let you know if you are placed about 30 days before the move in day as far as I know. The only reason that I know I will be placed in some sort of apartment is because I was awarded priority housing which means that I go to the top of the waitlists or at least one of them I guess.

Eraserhead said:
No, they let you know if you are placed about 30 days before the move in day as far as I know. The only reason that I know I will be placed in some sort of apartment is because I was awarded priority housing which means that I go to the top of the waitlists or at least one of them I guess.

I got a brochure that told me the same thing. I did on campus housing at uci my last three years and I knew that there were always WAY more people than spots, which makes me wary that not every incoming med student will get into verano or palo verdes for fall 2004. Did they tell you specifically that you'll have a spot?

I'm gonna double check with housing tomorrow morning about my situation. If i don't get in this year....i'm gonna sign up for the new vista del campo....there's just something about the idea of a brand spanking new apartment.....that makes me go ahhhh :rolleyes:

What about financial aid, people? Any word? I'm getting kind of anxious to see if I'm getting anything at all. My houshold income is so low that I expect to. What do you guys think??

Angstrom, you got accepted a week or two before me right? Did you hear anything?

Do most people get the 6K? I know one of my friends whose father is a doctor didn't get anything from them... sigh...

ZOT! ZOT! said:
What about financial aid, people? Any word? I'm getting kind of anxious to see if I'm getting anything at all. My houshold income is so low that I expect to. What do you guys think??

Angstrom, you got accepted a week or two before me right? Did you hear anything?

I haven't heard a peep from the money people yet. I think i turned in that certification form beginning of june. They told me i would hear about a week after they receive that form. It's been at least a couple already. I also want to find out if i'll get any sort of free money. I sorta doubt it (cuz i've never qualified for free money during undergrad...hehe) I'm gonna try and call em tomorrow about it (another thing to add to my to do list).

angstrom55 said:
I haven't heard a peep from the money people yet. I think i turned in that certification form beginning of june. They told me i would hear about a week after they receive that form. It's been at least a couple already. I also want to find out if i'll get any sort of free money. I sorta doubt it (cuz i've never qualified for free money during undergrad...hehe) I'm gonna try and call em tomorrow about it (another thing to add to my to do list).

Please let me know what you find out :) Thanks! I hope you get tons of money!

WuzUpDoc said:
you guys should look into Vista del Campo... it's on campus, but privately run. the units are brand brand new, fully furnished, and the rent is pretty reasonable. the move in date is the only problem right now, but they say they are working on it.

see you guys in a couple months! :)

www.vistadelcampo.com

Do you know when the move in date is? Does the 12 month contract start in Sept or during the summer? thanx

angstrom55 said:
Do you know when the move in date is? Does the 12 month contract start in Sept or during the summer? thanx

ok, so as of today, the move-in date is sept 18th, but the management is trying to see if we can move in on the 1st. it looks like it only depends on whether or not the units are finished and up to code. the problem is that they will not know if we can move in earlier until mid-august. however, gayle said that there will most likely be enough of us in this situation that she could call around and find a reasonably priced place to stay until it is ready. as for the contract... your first month's rent is due in august 2004, but you will pay your last month's rent in july 2005 and move out sept 3, 2005. i hope i answered your questions. let me know if you need more info :)

i think the financial aid works this way, but i may be wrong....

based on your parent's income tax report (and maybe yours as well?) you get placed into one of three brackets as a result of your parents expected contribution...not that they expect your parents to contribute but i think this is the only way to divide up grants as i think most of the applicants are making about the same going in to school...nothing or close to nothing. based on that you get a grant of between $1k and $6k. so i may be wrong, but everyone gets $1k i think in grants and then depending on everything else, you get the rest in federal subsidzed, unsubsidzed and university loans if you qualify.

you should be able to check your financial aid award online at some point (i dont know how long after you fill out your intent to register it works but you can try at www.fao.uci.edu. you have to have your "ID number" which is at the top of any financial aid information you may have recieved in the mail.

WuzUpDoc said:
ok, so as of today, the move-in date is sept 18th, but the management is trying to see if we can move in on the 1st. it looks like it only depends on whether or not the units are finished and up to code. the problem is that they will not know if we can move in earlier until mid-august. however, gayle said that there will most likely be enough of us in this situation that she could call around and find a reasonably priced place to stay until it is ready. as for the contract... your first month's rent is due in august 2004, but you will pay your last month's rent in july 2005 and move out sept 3, 2005. i hope i answered your questions. let me know if you need more info :)

Thanx so much for the info! Now I see how the move-in date is a problem for us med students. If i decide to live there, my parents live close enough so that I can comute the first couple of weeks...but it's a bummer if you're coming in from a long ways. I heard that some schools put students up in hotels as undergrads until they could put them into housing.....wonder if vista would do that.....hehe

I called the peeps over at financial aid to see what was up with my package (they had told me about a week...it's been a couple for me already). They said that there was something wrong computer wise with my financial aid....so they would get it fixed with the programmers and I should find out later today. For those of you who sent in all your stuff and have been waiting a while....you should probably call finaid and see what's up. It may be a computer glitch like mine.

hey does anyone know what books we'll be using first year? i'd like to start finding them on ebay/half.com or other cheaper sites since the bookstore probably hikes up its prices. i know the netter atlas is a big must and there are some good deals on it right now but is there anything else i should keep my heads up on?

hbocc11 said:
i think the financial aid works this way, but i may be wrong....

based on your parent's income tax report (and maybe yours as well?) you get placed into one of three brackets as a result of your parents expected contribution...not that they expect your parents to contribute but i think this is the only way to divide up grants as i think most of the applicants are making about the same going in to school...nothing or close to nothing. based on that you get a grant of between $1k and $6k. so i may be wrong, but everyone gets $1k i think in grants and then depending on everything else, you get the rest in federal subsidzed, unsubsidzed and university loans if you qualify.

you should be able to check your financial aid award online at some point (i dont know how long after you fill out your intent to register it works but you can try at www.fao.uci.edu. you have to have your "ID number" which is at the top of any financial aid information you may have recieved in the mail.

Hey! Thanks for that website! I found out my ID number when I went to visit them and drop off a form. You guys should call and get your ID number and then log in!

About books: Where would be the cheapest place to get them? I have a friend that works at Barnes and Noble. Do you think her discount would be good enough?

Does anyone else have incorrect information on their financial aid site? For example, you got a grant or scholarship but its not on there yet?

Eraserhead said:
Does anyone else have incorrect information on their financial aid site? For example, you got a grant or scholarship but its not on there yet?

Looks like the old bait and switch worked on you. Tell you that you had a scholie, have no record of it, can;t go back to old school....

man...thats why i got it in writing..i didnt' commit till i had it allll in writing. Call em' up....

kenshinoro2004 said:
man...thats why i got it in writing..i didnt' commit till i had it allll in writing. Call em' up....

I have it in writing of course, its just not on the website. Haha.

i hope you were able to straighten out the fin aid situation kevin...

if anyone gets a hold of the book list could you post it here?? thanks :)

also, i heard that the admissions office was in the process of creating a list-serv for incoming students... has anyone heard anything more about this?

for those who were accepted off the waitlist....did it take long for you guys to get your fin aid package? Was it through an emal and then online?

Hello Ladies and Gents! Here is a very informative pm from a newly second year student at UCI COM.

For Anatomy you'll need Netter's and Leonard's Human Gross Anatomy (sometimes hit or miss, best just to get it at the UCI bookstore). Optional but really useful for me was the Big Moore, Clinically Oriented Anatomy.

MC Biology, one of your first classes, requires the new edition of The Cell (the grey one), I bought it and it was handy but didn't feel the need to keep it after the class.

Biochem, you can get by with just the core notes and possibly Lippencotts Biochem board review book (the blue one, also at the bookstore).

Medical Genetics is a toughy, not too sure what kind of crap they'll be slinging your way so just play that by ear (personally used nothing but my wits).

Physiology, most of us got by with just our core notes.

PDS, don't buy The Spirit Catches You..., you'll only discuss it for about 20 minutes!!!!

PD, need Bates and Kochar's, but depends on your group leader.

Neuro and Immuno just used core notes, didn't really care at that point how I did!

That's about all I can remember off the top of my head.

Additional, in reality you can get by 90% of the time on your core notes, handouts, MSPs and old exams. Wish someone told me that earlier

Oh, and then there's this...

Core notes are bought from the department teaching your class, they're normally a collection of the powerpoint stuff the professors use during lecture.

I really can't wait to be in class with you all. You guys seem soooooo great! I hope this helps in the search for books. Please be aware that the text selection MAY have changed. I'm stoked that I have the MC Biology book from undergrad! YAY!!! That saves 100 bucks right there!!

Lets all post our AIM so we can contact each other. I'll start the list:

WillHauge: dagame620
ZOT! ZOT!: DoneAnimalStyle

zot you rock. i guess i'll be waiting to do my book shopping then! thanx so much for the heads up!

Does anyone know what the class schedule is going to be during the week? Thanks :)

Who's going to the medical convention in SD? Huh huh huh?

ZOT! ZOT! said:
Who's going to the medical convention in SD? Huh huh huh?

it sounds fun..i will definitely be going. also adding my AIM:

MDinSD: cali303

I guess I'm going... sounds like everyone goes and what the hell else would I do that weekend? :)

Eraserhead: Boy4Pele79
MDinSD: cali303

I'm planning to attend it. :) It should be a good opportunity to get to know everyone better. And the hotel it's being held at looks really nice from that photo. :thumbup:

Which hotel option are you guys choosing? It's only $20.00 more to have your own bed, but I think the 3 to a room would be more fun, assuming I don't get shacked up with a freak. hehe...

I'll probably pick the 2 people/2 bed cause I'd like my own bed. :D I don't want to have to share a bed with a girl who keeps tossing and turning all night. (I'm assuming it'd be a girl unless the rooms are co-ed ;) )

twizzlers said:
I'll probably pick the 2 people/2 bed cause I'd like my own bed. :D I don't want to have to share a bed with a girl who keeps tossing and turning all night. (I'm assuming it'd be a girl unless the rooms are co-ed ;) )

They can be co-ed if you want them to be... ;) :laugh: :eek: Every year I went on a trip in high school and had to share 2 beds between 4 guys, so I'm used to it. It's only 3 days, too. Maybe they'll have cots available...