UCI Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Count me in! I'm coming whether they like it or not!! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

What's up folks,

I went to UCI for undergrad and I work for the College of Medicine right now. After med school I will have spent a decade of my life at UCI. Wow.

I really enjoyed UCI as an undergrad, and from what I have heard from many med students they love it. "The OC" is not nearly as dull as its exaggerated repuation would suggest. I made the most of my years here and had a blast.

I have heard some occasional negativity about some of the faculty, but overall people say they are more than satisfied with the courses. The schedule is a dream-you have 2-3 afternoons free a week (most first years cram in their tag-a-longs the last week, so that leaves even more time free...)

I chose UCI because I like the way the curriculum is structured, and eveyone there gave me good vibes. The atmosphere is friendly and supportive.

I can't wait to start.

Members don't see this ad :)
Spitting Camel said:
hbocc = huntington beach orange coast college? just a guess...:laugh: Do you go to UCI, by any chance?

OCC is in Costa Mesa

"These places grew very rapidly and have not yet developed an underclass; they're the slumless city," said Kotkin, a senior fellow with the Davenport Institute for Public Policy at Pepperdine University.

"And in the case of Thousand Oaks and Irvine, they were created as being middle or upper middle class," he said. "They were designed to have little crime, and it worked."

The low-crime rankings were compiled by The Times based on a ratio of population to crimes reported by local police agencies to the FBI in seven categories: murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, theft and auto theft. Each crime is given the same weight, so a homicide counts no more than a bike theft.

When only violent crimes are considered, Irvine ranked as the safest among large U.S. cities, and Amherst, a college community near Buffalo, N.Y., was second.

http://216.239.53.104/search?q=cach...la-newslocal-1+fbi+safest+cities+irvine&hl=en

hamhamfan said:
OCC is in Costa Mesa

It also neighbors HB. He might live in HB, but go to OCC. I have a business located down there, so I know :) Thanks, though.

Oh, and I'm going to UCI now! Hi guys! What do you say we get together and redecorate our student lounge. Any takers???

Spitting Camel said:
Oh, and I'm going to UCI now! Hi guys! What do you say we get together and redecorate our student lounge. Any takers???

That would be a good idea. The pool table needs new cloth, the cues actually need tips, need new paddles for table tennis, and at the very least an overall redecoration.

E-star said:
That would be a good idea. The pool table needs new cloth, the cues actually need tips, need new paddles for table tennis, and at the very least an overall redecoration.

I am totally willing to put in some money to buy those things! How cool would it be to decorate it the way WE want it to be?!?

Spitting Camel said:
Count me in! I'm coming whether they like it or not!! :laugh:

spitting, congrats on uci!!!

Eraserhead said:
Hey Camel, where in Irvine are you going to be living?

I'm actually going to be living in Fountain Valley, which is around a 7-10 minute drive from Irvine. Let me know when you are moving in so I can help, ok? That would be so much fun!!

Spitting Camel said:
I'm actually going to be living in Fountain Valley, which is around a 7-10 minute drive from Irvine. Let me know when you are moving in so I can help, ok? That would be so much fun!!

That would rock dude. I will be on my own as usual but could probably use help with lifting. I'm going to have to hit up IKEA asap when I arrive.

:) ! I'm excited.

Eraserhead said:
That would rock dude. I will be on my own as usual but could probably use help with lifting. I'm going to have to hit up IKEA asap when I arrive.

:) ! I'm excited.
I'll pm you my number when you need it. Whenever my friends move, guess who they call??? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All. Just want to say Hi to all my future UCI COM classmates/colleagues. I'm in the class of 2007 and we are working hard to putting on a memorable orientation in September. You guys should be excited about coming to UCI.

rabbit96 said:
Hi All. Just want to say Hi to all my future UCI COM classmates/colleagues. I'm in the class of 2007 and we are working hard to putting on a memorable orientation in September. You guys should be excited about coming to UCI.

OMG, rabbit96! I can't wait! I have been on cloud nine since yesterday morning! UCI has been my number 1 choice since 4 years ago! EVERY other school I applied to was a backup for UCI! Is there any summer program going on? I heard that UCI did it last summer. Any hope for one this year? I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL ORIENTATION!! If you see a weirdo walking around campus with a gigantic smile on his face, that will be me! Don't be afraid to say hi!!!!!!!!!!!! :love: :clap: :love: :clap: :horns: :thumbup: :love: :clap:

BenzML320 said:
Congrats AID...err Spitting :D

Thanks, man! I was waiting for you to come on! You going to the reception tomorrow? If so, Vandai is going to be there on my behalf to exchange your stole for $19.00.

So, how long have we been classmates now? Since Masuda? Since James H. Cox? Crazy! Here's to 4 more years!

Has anyone gotten anything yet regarding health clearance, sending in final transcripts, and the like prior to enrolling in the school?

rabbit96 said:

I AM excited, rabbit! I SO am!! I know we should be expecting a letter from the class president soon, so I can't wait for that! What day does school actually start in September? I know orientation is from the 1st to the 3rd, but does school start the Monday after that on the 6th? I'm glad it's not like undergrad in that it starts Septmber 26th! I would die waiting!

What Anatomy book do you guys use?

Spitting Camel said:
I AM excited, rabbit! I SO am!! I know we should be expecting a letter from the class president soon, so I can't wait for that! What day does school actually start in September? I know orientation is from the 1st to the 3rd, but does school start the Monday after that on the 6th? I'm glad it's not like undergrad in that it starts Septmber 26th! I would die waiting!

What Anatomy book do you guys use?
Man, you really are excited SC. Why don't you try and enjoy this summer before you start school, there's plenty of time to enjoy med school since you'll be there for 4 more years. Orientation runs from the 1st-3rd, classes start on the following Monday, Sept 6th. First couple of months are a breeze, so make the most of it. Get to know your classmates and spend time with your significant other, since winter/spring quarter will OWN you for months at a time. There's no summer program this year afaik b/c they are remodeling the Anatomy labs. Class of 2008 will be lucky, get to take advantage of all the rennovations...=P Seriously though, congratulations on everyone's acceptance, now go out and enjoy your last summer free...= )

JRSCGSR said:
Man, you really are excited SC. Why don't you try and enjoy this summer before you start school, there's plenty of time to enjoy med school since you'll be there for 4 more years. Orientation runs from the 1st-3rd, classes start on the following Monday, Sept 6th. First couple of months are a breeze, so make the most of it. Get to know your classmates and spend time with your significant other, since winter/spring quarter will OWN you for months at a time. There's no summer program this year afaik b/c they are remodeling the Anatomy labs. Class of 2008 will be lucky, get to take advantage of all the rennovations...=P Seriously though, congratulations on everyone's acceptance, now go out and enjoy your last summer free...= )

I've been on summer break since March! hehe... I finished up a quarter early, so my summer will be 6 months long!!!!

What does afaik mean in this sentence: There's no summer program this year afaik b/c they are remodeling the Anatomy labs.

See you at orientation! I know your name, but please be sure to introduce yourself so I can put a face to the name! Oh, and thanks for all of the pm-help you gave me! It really kept me going! Just in case you don't remember, I used to be "AlreadyInDebt"

Spitting Camel said:
I've been on summer break since March! hehe... I finished up a quarter early, so my summer will be 6 months long!!!!

What does afaik mean in this sentence: There's no summer program this year afaik b/c they are remodeling the Anatomy labs.

See you at orientation! I know your name, but please be sure to introduce yourself so I can put a face to the name! Oh, and thanks for all of the pm-help you gave me! It really kept me going! Just in case you don't remember, I used to be "AlreadyInDebt"

aid/spitting camel, congrats!!! i remember how worried you were about uci. thats awesome!!!

afaik => as far as I know, hehe, online is like a whole new language...= )

i think school doesnt start until tuesday the 7th (monday is labor day) and we should be getting a packet of health info, when to send final transcripts, etc sometime in the next month or so. can't wait to meet everyone!

hbocc11 said:
i think school doesnt start until tuesday the 7th (monday is labor day) and we should be getting a packet of health info, when to send final transcripts, etc sometime in the next month or so. can't wait to meet everyone!

Cool, I can't wait either. :D :D

hbocc11 said:

Woo whoo!!! I ordered my white coat and sent in my intent to register form today! I am so excited!

Spitting Camel said:
Woo whoo!!! I ordered my white coat and sent in my intent to register form today! I am so excited!

Huh? You mean intent to matriculate?

How did you order the white coat?

Eraserhead said:
Huh? You mean intent to matriculate?

How did you order the white coat?

They sent a paper with my acceptance, called a statment of intent to register/matriculate and a release to include my name in the White Coat ceremony program, as well as what size I wanted. needless to say, i went with the XXL :oops:

Spitting Camel said:
They sent a paper with my acceptance, called a statment of intent to register/matriculate and a release to include my name in the White Coat ceremony program, as well as what size I wanted. needless to say, i went with the XXL :oops:

Oh right I guess I did that in November. I hope I picked the right size...

Eraserhead said:
Oh right I guess I did that in November. I hope I picked the right size...

I guess thay had chest size for men and I always like to have some room to breathe.

Spitting Camel said:
I guess thay had chest size for men and I always like to have some room to breathe.

so you're a big Guy eh?

I'm like small and frail.

Eraserhead said:
so you're a big Guy eh?

I'm like small and frail.

Big, but not obese big... I remember seeing your picture. I'll be careful shaking your hand. I don't want to break you! :laugh:

Spitting Camel said:
Big, but not obese big... I remember seeing your picture. I'll be careful shaking your hand. I don't want to break you! :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Congrats all! I too was waiting for UCI the whole time...

SC, you went to UCI undergrad? Me too. What year did you graduate? Everyone's excitement is getting to me, I am even more stoked. anyone living on campus? I think i'll be in Vista Del Campo (brand new, and worth the money) on campus.

Eric1332 said:
Congrats all! I too was waiting for UCI the whole time...

SC, you went to UCI undergrad? Me too. What year did you graduate? Everyone's excitement is getting to me, I am even more stoked. anyone living on campus? I think i'll be in Vista Del Campo (brand new, and worth the money) on campus.

Every school that iapplied to besides Irvine was a back-up for Irvine :) I graduated class of 2004... how about you? Oh man, if only people knew what we were all excited about. This is going to be so awesome.

I know Eraserhead is living on campus, but I don't know about others.

See you September 1st!!

What is Vista Del Campo?

Is that part of on-campus housing?

I think I put PV down, so I will most likely be there, hopefully in a studio or 1-BR.

:D

Eraserhead said:
What is Vista Del Campo?

Is that part of on-campus housing?

I think I put PV down, so I will most likely be there, hopefully in a studio or 1-BR.

:D
Vista Del Campo is a new set of apartments opening on campus BUT run by Irvine Apartment Communities, not UCI. The pricing is a lot higher than the other graduate housing options (PV and Verano). It is brand spanking new though and each apartment comes completely furnished and includes cable/ethernet/water, only things you have to pay for are electricity and a phone from what I know. Personally, for the price I'd rather live off campus somewhere, but for those without transportation it's definitely an option.

JRSCGSR said:
Vista Del Campo is a new set of apartments opening on campus BUT run by Irvine Apartment Communities, not UCI. The pricing is a lot higher than the other graduate housing options (PV and Verano). It is brand spanking new though and each apartment comes completely furnished and includes cable/ethernet/water, only things you have to pay for are electricity and a phone from what I know. Personally, for the price I'd rather live off campus somewhere, but for those without transportation it's definitely an option.

Hey JRSCGSR, what do you gys do in between the 1st and 2nd year? Research? Medical mission?

Eraserhead said:
I think we can do whatever we want during the summer right?

Yeah, but I was wondering if there are any cool opportunities like going to a foreign country or something.

Spitting Camel said:
Yeah, but I was wondering if there are any cool opportunities like going to a foreign country or something.
There's a lot of programs available, just have to go looking. I know ~10-15 of my classmates are headed to Ecuador for a month this summer for an international program. Also others are going to Chile, Spain, and Asia off the top of my head. I would say about 30-40 are doing some form of research during the summer and about 10-15 are just totalling bumming out. Me personally I'm going on vacation and travelling through Europe in August. Will probably find something useful for my time the rest of the summer.

up late jon?

Hey lola!
Oh, do we fund the trips ourselves or does the school help? Something tells me it's all on us...

Spitting Camel said:
Hey lola!
Oh, do we fund the trips ourselves or does the school help? Something tells me it's all on us...

How did you get online before me?

BenzML320 said:
How did you get online before me?

You may be smarter, but I'm slicker! :laugh:

We never went to the Yardhouse because we ran into the people I wanted to visit on their way out, so we just went home.

That was a fairly interesting evening, huh? :laugh:

JRSCGSR said:
Naw, this is pretty normal for us younguns... :D :p

Ah! Another hint as to the identity of lola... a bit older, are ya? :laugh:

yeah... just look for the old and haggard looking 2nd years and you will see me!

as for summer opportunities... i am pretty sure people are paying their own way for most of the abroad opportunities. there is a uc-mexico exchange program that is funded by the uc system. basically you work in a clinic in the mornings and study spanish in the afternoons for a month. it is a pretty sweet deal, but there is only funding for 2 or 3 students from each uc.

lola said:
there is a uc-mexico exchange program that is funded by the uc system. basically you work in a clinic in the mornings and study spanish in the afternoons for a month. it is a pretty sweet deal, but there is only funding for 2 or 3 students from each uc.

OOH!!! I want that! I've got dibbs, guys!!