UCI Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ZOT! ZOT! said:
Who's going to the medical convention in SD? Huh huh huh?

what are you guys talking about?

Members don't see this ad.

docmemi said:
what are you guys talking about?

The UCI faculty and student medical convention. You should have received an email about the whole package including summer reading, emergency contact, transcript, fees, and all that other good stuff. Check your email. If you didn't get it, I would contact them asap.

Make sure you guys attend the conference, I think close to 90-95% of the class goes and it's a great chance to get to know all your classmates. Plus, when else do you expect to booze it up with the faculty? I had a blast last year during the SD trip and I'm sure everyone else will too this year. You'll room with whoever is next to you alphabetically, so get cozy... :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
JRSCGSR said:
Make sure you guys attend the conference, I think close to 90-95% of the class goes and it's a great chance to get to know all your classmates. Plus, when else do you expect to booze it up with the faculty? I had a blast last year during the SD trip and I'm sure everyone else will too this year. You'll room with whoever is next to you alphabetically, so get cozy... :love:

Woo Whoo!! It sounds GREAT! The second years are coming, right? What do they do about the male/female thing?

ZOT! ZOT! said:
The UCI faculty and student medical convention. You should have received an email about the whole package including summer reading, emergency contact, transcript, fees, and all that other good stuff. Check your email. If you didn't get it, I would contact them asap.

im going to ucla zot. i was just curious. sounds like a lot of fun!!! so you guys have to do summer reading...like what? we havent really received much from ucla. thanks for sharing!

docmemi said:
im going to ucla zot. i was just curious. sounds like a lot of fun!!! so you guys have to do summer reading...like what? we havent really received much from ucla. thanks for sharing!

oh, haha! Sorry about that. Yeah, it's a little book we have to read for our patient-doctor course. They're even offering to give us free copies.

Be sure to go, with any luck there won't be a quizz scheduled for the Monday that you return (ahhh, there was a time when only Histo scared me). But really it's great, I can't remmeber who in my class didn't go, you're in the gaslamp district which means plenty of clubs and dives to bond with your classmates over ETOH and your lovely MS2 hosts will be throwing plenty of booze your way from our suite (just don't make the mistake we made and use the chandelier as a pinata, somebody has to pay for the damages).

So, what option are you guys choosing for the hotel rooms? Would the 3 person room really be the most fun? Wouldn't the 2 person room be boring? Thoughts???

Hey guys,
Do you know if this conference is just a UCI Med thing or UCSD Med as well? I know I can't wait to go down there to SD!

I was just wondering, do we need a labtop to bring to class or can we just use a PC at home? The paperwork says something about 'special computer requirements' so I was wondering what this mean't. If there are any current students that know I'd appreciate it.
Thanks

WillHague007 said:
I was just wondering, do we need a labtop to bring to class or can we just use a PC at home? The paperwork says something about 'special computer requirements' so I was wondering what this mean't. If there are any current students that know I'd appreciate it.
Thanks

Where did you read that? I only own a PC and don't really like laptops. There are so many computer labs on campus that I don't think I'll even need one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Eraserhead said:
What are the computer requirements?

I did a little searching last night and this is what I found:

There is no requirement, per se, but if you choose to purchase a computer for medical school, they will increase your freshman year budget ONLY to include one. If you do not buy it freshman year, you forfeit your chance to have it covered with your financial aid funds.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

fin aid at uci seems to be awesome. boo everywhere else.

docmemi said:
fin aid at uci seems to be awesome. boo everywhere else.

The awesome financial aid coupled with the cheap tution! Gotta love it! :laugh:

PLEASE let me get grant money! PLEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

anyone wanna go to the price is right? i've got a few tickets left.....

Does anyone know what the class schedule looks like for next year? Like what times do the classes start/end during the week?

I think you get a prelimary schedule for the first 4-5 weeks in your admissions packet or during orientation, I can't really remember. Wish I still had the files that were sent out to us, but I only have the printouts for our schedules from last year, no more word files or I'd send them your way. Don't be so anxious for school, just enjoy the free time that you have now. Cya guys in 1.5 months.

hey i think i remember seeing the class schedules from year 1 and 2 online at the uci med school website...its on the left bar under "calendars" i think. i am not exactly sure where but i found it before. we basically have class every day from 8-12 and then some afternoons (1-3) depending on the week. i am not sure beyond that....hope that helps.

Yea, the side bar link only provides you with important dates such as winter vacation, start/end of new quarters, etc... If you want the actual class schedule, you'll have to wait until orientation to get it. Basically for the first quarter, you'll have Biochem/Molecular Bio in the mornings, usually from 8-12, sometimes 9-12. Afternoons are set aside for the Patient, Doctor, & Society course for Fall Quarter. About a month in, Wednesdays are set aside all day for Genetics. You'll have afternoon class 3-4 days/week for the first quarter, although many of us chose to skip out on PDS so we had even more afternoons free. Once you get into the 2nd & 3rd quarters, you'll have a lot of afternoons free since PDS is over and for the Patient-Doctor course that takes its place, you only have once per week. You should have 2-3 afternoons free a week then.

My mom was on the price is right. She won a massage chair, an antique cabinet, and a pool table. It was pretty cool. We even have it recorded on tape. haha... I still remember her with the pictures of my cousins cut out and pinned to her shirt! hahahahahaha...

Don't worry... You guys will get to use the chair and the pool table when you start coming over... :laugh:

if you go to the UCI COM home page, click educational affirs, then calendars on the right side bar you can either see the general class schedule (with all the holidays and the breaks) under 'academic calendar' or if you click on 'course calendar' you can scroll to whatever month you want, and click on an day where it says 'curriculum' and you can see what the 1st and 2nd years did last year in terms of exact schedule for classes each day. this may not be totally right but at least it gives you some idea....

Has anyone bought any books yet (besides "The Spirit Catches You...")

What do we need for the first quarter?

I just got a gift certificate to Amazon for books...

Come on now. You should know better than to buy any books now. Buy them only when you know you need them.

Jalby said:
Come on now. You should know better than to buy any books now. Buy them only when you know you need them.

Yeah but I figure someone might know what we need for the first quarter.

On the COM website if you look at the course descriptions, they give a list of book titles for each course. But I don't know if the books they listed will change for our year or if some are a waste of money.
For example, I am not sure if we need to necessarily buy the specific Biochemistry book that they "require" or just go with the class notes/old Biochem book?
I think I will just wait to buy books once classes start.

I've already purchased the new editions of First Aid and Step Up. And, I've also purchased Bates' Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking.

The rest I'm waiting on...

i am just waiting. i'd rather get some advice from 2nd years on which books I "really" need before I spend tons of money on texts that I rarely read.

Tiki Tiki Tembo said:
I've already purchased the new editions of First Aid and Step Up. And, I've also purchased Bates' Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking.

The rest I'm waiting on...

are first aid and step up required books for uci?? if there are other review books they recommend, can you please share? or maybe you are just choosing based on sdn.

thanks.

docmemi said:
are first aid and step up required books for uci?? if there are other review books they recommend, can you please share? or maybe you are just choosing based on sdn.

thanks.

The Bates' text was reccomended by my friend, now a 2nd year. She said I should start flipping through it now. The other two are just common knowledge for USMLE review.

Tiki Tiki Tembo said:
The Bates' text was reccomended by my friend, now a 2nd year. She said I should start flipping through it now. The other two are just common knowledge for USMLE review.

bates is reqd for ucla.

docmemi said:
bates is reqd for ucla.

I think it's required for UCI, too. I was told to get it by a friend as wel.

So the Financial Aid site won't let me log in: it says I need to use my UCNetID now, where does one find this?

Thanks

I called the financial aid office to get my UCstudent ID. Oh guys, if you got the graduate student housing, how much is it per month? Also do you know if there is a website for graduate student housing and if there is anymore left? I'm still debating on where to live next year. :confused:

ZOT! ZOT! said:
I think it's required for UCI, too. I was told to get it by a friend as wel.

Amazon.com has bad reviews for Bates, does everyone at UCI use it? Sounds like Swartz is better...

I was just about to buy the following:

Netter's Anatomy and Flashcards
Bates Physical Exam...
BRS Physiology
Step Up Review Book
(Wait for New Edition of First Aid Review)

The website says the 7th edition of Bates is required, but there is an 8th out

(?)

Also are you guys getting the paperback Netters or hardcover?

Is the CD-ROM useful?

Hey where are you guys seeing the booklist?

Do we get a free Netters if we join AMSA?

I'm just full of questions, sorry.

Eraserhead said:
Do we get a free Netters if we join AMSA?

I'm just full of questions, sorry.

OK I'll answer my own question- We do get a free one so hold off on buying it! I just checked with the UCI chapter officer.

I'm not sure I'm going to buy anything now, its too confusing.

i agree with you...everything seems way too confusing to start buying stuff now. i'm just gonna wait and see.

on a side note...how are you guys spending the last few weeks until school starts? i can't believe that most schools are already in session. i'm glad we start later!

WillHague007 said:
I called the financial aid office to get my UCstudent ID. Oh guys, if you got the graduate student housing, how much is it per month? Also do you know if there is a website for graduate student housing and if there is anymore left? I'm still debating on where to live next year. :confused:
At this point for on campus housing....you'd be waitlisted unless they gave you priority housing...then you'd have to wait for them to give you a spot. For Verano...the rent varies from bout 300ish to maybe 600? For palo verde, the avg is $600.

www.housing.uci.edu (somewhere on there is grad housing)

I'm actually living at vista del campo. It's a tad bit more, but the apts are furnished, utilities included, and everything is brand spanking new! I visited the model rooms today and they were soo cool! They also have an awesome rec center and swimming pool! It felt like i was at a hotel resort than campus housing! As of today, they said that they still had grad spots left for the two bed/two bath apts...which would be 750 a month i think.

3 1/2 more weeks of freedom before med school shackles us down for the next four years....:p....scarrrrrry.....

Has anyone gotten any orientation info in the mail yet? Are we suppose to or is it just the stuff online?

oh...and is there a deadline for the SD conference to sign up?

I called the office today to ask about housing and Gayle told me that they were going to send out the orientation stuff out this week. I'm really excited to start too!

WillHague007 said:
I called the office today to ask about housing and Gayle told me that they were going to send out the orientation stuff out this week. I'm really excited to start too!

Yay, I'm so excited!