ucla extension or another undergrad degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sadhouseplant

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I wanted some advice. I graduated with a BFA in 2014, not understanding that my degree would be pretty useless in terms of admission to medical school. After high school, I went to CC and started taking math and science pre-reqs in hopes of gaining admission to a UC. I had been dealing with severe depression at the time which made it difficult to do well there as it was in high school and I gave up. Instead, I applied to CalArts and got a Bachelors of Fine Art degree and dealt with my mental health issues. I regretted giving up my dream of becoming an MD but leaving CC and attending CalArts was the best choice at the time. Now, I've started to work on getting ready to apply for medical school, regardless of how many years it will take me. I understand how absurd it must sound for someone with a fine arts degree to want to go to medical school (but please don't try to deter me). I'm currently enrolled in UCLA Extension in their post-bacc program and doing great. I'm about to complete my 1st year there and have received As in all of my classes (math xl 1 Pre-Calc, math xl 3a Calculus, physics xl 10 Physics, Chem XL 4a,4b,4l).

I wanted to know if I continue on this route and finish all the required med school pre-reqs if i'll be a reputable candidate with such a non-traditional past. I thought going to UCLA Extension over CC was a better option for me. I was interested in the CDU or LMU Post-Bacc programs but I wasn't a candidate because of my particular bachelor's degree.

Should I continue on this route, take the MCATs and apply for medical school? Or should I just get another undergrad degree?

Members don't see this ad.

By and large, admissions committees care about these things:

1. GPA
2. MCAT
3. shadowing
4. volunteering
5. leadership
6. 7. 8. 9....

No where is what type of degree relevant. Grades matter, MCAT can offset bad grades but must be stellar. If you're wanting to go to a heavy research school like UCSF, then you have to get that too...

Please listen to @gyngyn re: your avatar/anonymity... generally we are a good group here but do have trolls...

Hi,

I wanted some advice. I graduated with a BFA in 2014, not understanding that my degree would be pretty useless in terms of admission to medical school. After high school, I went to CC and started taking math and science pre-reqs in hopes of gaining admission to a UC. I had been dealing with severe depression at the time which made it difficult to do well there as it was in high school and I gave up. Instead, I applied to CalArts and got a Bachelors of Fine Art degree and dealt with my mental health issues. I regretted giving up my dream of becoming an MD but leaving CC and attending CalArts was the best choice at the time. Now, I've started to work on getting ready to apply for medical school, regardless of how many years it will take me. I understand how absurd it must sound for someone with a fine arts degree to want to go to medical school (but please don't try to deter me). I'm currently enrolled in UCLA Extension in their post-bacc program and doing great. I'm about to complete my 1st year there and have received As in all of my classes (math xl 1 Pre-Calc, math xl 3a Calculus, physics xl 10 Physics, Chem XL 4a,4b,4l).

I wanted to know if I continue on this route and finish all the required med school pre-reqs if i'll be a reputable candidate with such a non-traditional past. I thought going to UCLA Extension over CC was a better option for me. I was interested in the CDU or LMU Post-Bacc programs but I wasn't a candidate because of my particular bachelor's degree.

Should I continue on this route, take the MCATs and apply for medical school? Or should I just get another undergrad degree?
Hello sadhouseplant,
I was just wondering what have been your experience with UCLA extension, I'm planning to take some classes there too boost up my gpa. Is that a good program to go for as a post bacc?