UCLA ---> Happy January 15th!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am also pissed that some people got student interviews and some did not. I think it is a huge advantage to those who did because someone your age can more easily pick up on whether or not you are a tool.

I did not get a student interview and really wish I did.

I felt the same way you do... I didn't get a student interview and I felt like I was at a disadvantage...

But, now I got my acceptance, so I guess it's not necessarily a bad thing...

But, I do agree with you that it SEEMS like a disadvantage and I'm sure there are some who will not be accepted who will blame it on the fact that they didn't get a student interview... This is really unwise on UCLA's part... they should give everyone the same interview scenario to minimize the perception that the process is unfair or skewed...

Keeping my fingers crossed for you...
 
congrats!!!!!!!!:clap: :clap:


I can think of somone else that interviewed on 10/27 who should get an acceptance😉

Thanks, swtpie. I really hope you get some good news...you seem like you will make one amazing doctor. You are so supportive and encouraging (keeping morale up and keeping these threads alive 🙂

I've said this before- you should really be the SDN cheerleader 😉

And Happy Birthday QM...interview buddy 🙂 Good Luck!

For those waiting...its only February/March and from what I was told by student interviewers (QM you may recall)...decisions will continue to go out until until April/May. Good Luck!
 
My understanding is that at the committee meetings, you're given a numerical score and placed in a ranked list. At this point, they're releasing acceptances to those with the highest scores. Doesn't seem to matter WHEN you interview, just how you ranked.

At least you're not getting a rejection letter... I'll send good thoughts your way and hope that you get an acceptance soon.

Ryan


Do you mind explaining more throughly how this works? Who votes, how they assign points, when (and how often) do they vote, etc.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you mind explaining more throughly how this works? Who votes, how they assign points, when (and how often) do they vote, etc.

Copied my response from a previous thread. This is what I know, as it was explained to me by my interviewer. Hope this is helpful!!




http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=343771



Here's my 2 cents...

I had a 2+ hour interview with Dr. Fulco, who chairs one of the admissions committees... he went over the entire admissions process ad nauseum... about 45 minutes before we even got into the formal interview...

He told me that UCLA makes all decisions based on a merit/point system. Interviewers are given a 4-5 page evaluation form that they complete for each interviewee...

In it, they have to assess how the interviewee stacks up in a variety of areas... I can't remember the exact names, even though Dr. Fulco showed me the sheet, which he had already filled in from my AMCAS before I even interviewed... I remember, it assesses your desire to go into primary care, the breadth of your research experience, commitment to bettering humanity.... things like that...

These forms, as well as your application and letters, are then reviewed in a subcommittee... I think I remember him saying there are 4, but I can't exactly remember...

At the committee, each member awards a certain number of points, in a closed ballot manner. These are then tallied and this gives you your overall score. He said that student members of the committee are able to award points. He also mentioned a complex way of calculating outliers in the votes. He mentioned that most members of the committee tend to vote consistently with the other members, and if one member votes significantly higher or lower than the others, then those values are corrected somehow...

He said the reason it takes so long to hear from UCLA, is because they have to amass a certain number of ranked applicants. He said you are LITERALLY sitting in a computer with your score from the committee, and they accept those applicants with some minimum cutoff score. He said in mid-January, they will start letting in the applicants with the highest scores.

He said that once your committee score is determined, there is nothing you can do to appeal the decision. He said that if you are denied an interview, an appeal is possible, but not if you are denied admission.

He said the wait list follows the ranked scores as well. He mentioned that once you are ranked, it does no good to send updates on coursework/activities, or even letters of interest/intent, because this will not influence your numerical score.

He was VERY informative and thorough... I felt like I was on the freakin' committee by the time he finished... THEN the interview began...

What a charming man... I hope he talks the committee into scoring me high, because I'd love to continue my medical education at UCLA.

Best of luck to everyone who is waiting to hear from UCLA, and I hope this information was helpful...


-----------
Originally Posted by FutureDr2011
So do members of the committee know who is in and who is not? Since they vote in closed ballot fashion, that would be interesting to know...
-----------

Of course, some administrator probably has access to it.

I was told by Dr. Fulco that they do NOT know who is in and who is not...

He said that the CHAIRS of each subcommittee know the total points awarded each applicant... He said they also know how each member voted... But the individual members don't know how each voted and they don't know the total points...

The number just goes into a computer system and ranks applicants, and whenever they're ready, they let people in above a certain cutoff... Of course, going into it, they don't know what will be the "magic" cutoff that will admit one person and reject the next...

----------

Originally Posted by topdogg82
i'm wondering that post-interview, do in-state candidates start out w/ more 'points' than OOS ones, since im OOS? or do they have separate lists of instate/OOS interviewees?

---------

In my interview, Dr. Fulco didn't mention anything about that... I'm a California resident though, so he may not have thought it was relevant.

He did make it sound like there was only ONE ranked list of applicants, though...

I have several friends from my undergrad years at UCLA who were highly qualified out of state students... they all got waitlisted and eventually rejected... However, I know of a few in state residents who were accepted...

Not sure if the difference is purely due to the residency status, though...
 
Copied my response from a previous thread. This is what I know, as it was explained to me by my interviewer. Hope this is helpful!!




http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=343771



Here's my 2 cents...

I had a 2+ hour interview with Dr. Fulco, who chairs one of the admissions committees... he went over the entire admissions process ad nauseum... about 45 minutes before we even got into the formal interview...

He told me that UCLA makes all decisions based on a merit/point system. Interviewers are given a 4-5 page evaluation form that they complete for each interviewee...

In it, they have to assess how the interviewee stacks up in a variety of areas... I can't remember the exact names, even though Dr. Fulco showed me the sheet, which he had already filled in from my AMCAS before I even interviewed... I remember, it assesses your desire to go into primary care, the breadth of your research experience, commitment to bettering humanity.... things like that...

These forms, as well as your application and letters, are then reviewed in a subcommittee... I think I remember him saying there are 4, but I can't exactly remember...

At the committee, each member awards a certain number of points, in a closed ballot manner. These are then tallied and this gives you your overall score. He said that student members of the committee are able to award points. He also mentioned a complex way of calculating outliers in the votes. He mentioned that most members of the committee tend to vote consistently with the other members, and if one member votes significantly higher or lower than the others, then those values are corrected somehow...

He said the reason it takes so long to hear from UCLA, is because they have to amass a certain number of ranked applicants. He said you are LITERALLY sitting in a computer with your score from the committee, and they accept those applicants with some minimum cutoff score. He said in mid-January, they will start letting in the applicants with the highest scores.

He said that once your committee score is determined, there is nothing you can do to appeal the decision. He said that if you are denied an interview, an appeal is possible, but not if you are denied admission.

He said the wait list follows the ranked scores as well. He mentioned that once you are ranked, it does no good to send updates on coursework/activities, or even letters of interest/intent, because this will not influence your numerical score.

He was VERY informative and thorough... I felt like I was on the freakin' committee by the time he finished... THEN the interview began...

What a charming man... I hope he talks the committee into scoring me high, because I'd love to continue my medical education at UCLA.

Best of luck to everyone who is waiting to hear from UCLA, and I hope this information was helpful...


-----------
Originally Posted by FutureDr2011
So do members of the committee know who is in and who is not? Since they vote in closed ballot fashion, that would be interesting to know...
-----------

Of course, some administrator probably has access to it.

I was told by Dr. Fulco that they do NOT know who is in and who is not...

He said that the CHAIRS of each subcommittee know the total points awarded each applicant... He said they also know how each member voted... But the individual members don't know how each voted and they don't know the total points...

The number just goes into a computer system and ranks applicants, and whenever they're ready, they let people in above a certain cutoff... Of course, going into it, they don't know what will be the "magic" cutoff that will admit one person and reject the next...

----------

Originally Posted by topdogg82
i'm wondering that post-interview, do in-state candidates start out w/ more 'points' than OOS ones, since im OOS? or do they have separate lists of instate/OOS interviewees?

---------

In my interview, Dr. Fulco didn't mention anything about that... I'm a California resident though, so he may not have thought it was relevant.

He did make it sound like there was only ONE ranked list of applicants, though...

I have several friends from my undergrad years at UCLA who were highly qualified out of state students... they all got waitlisted and eventually rejected... However, I know of a few in state residents who were accepted...

Not sure if the difference is purely due to the residency status, though...

for best post on SDN since I've looked at it.

I interviewed Feb 22, but not with Dr. Falco. Nevertheless, your review of the scoring system is encouragaging, at least as far as the attributes you mentioned. Care to list any more criteria that go into the score?

Bravo!
 
Hey all!

What are you sending to the school to indicate your intent to register? There was no form? How are we supposed to let the school know we want to come? I think I'll call tommorrow with this question :laugh:

:luck: :luck:
 
for best post on SDN since I've looked at it.

I interviewed Feb 22, but not with Dr. Falco. Nevertheless, your review of the scoring system is encouragaging, at least as far as the attributes you mentioned. Care to list any more criteria that go into the score?

Bravo!

Totally agree! Thanks Ryan and congratulations.
 
I'm in... with the first year scholarship!!! I l😍 ve UCLA!!!

Congrats lin, PG and RyanBruin!!! Happy B-day QM!!! Best of luck to everyone still waiting!!! Can't wait to hear about your acceptances!!! :luck:
 
I interviewed Feb 22, but not with Dr. Falco. Nevertheless, your review of the scoring system is encouragaging, at least as far as the attributes you mentioned. Care to list any more criteria that go into the score?

Bravo!

Thanks!

Honestly, it's been so long since my interview and Dr. Fulco went over that sheet with the criteria really quickly. All I remember, is that much of it really seemed to follow the questions on the secondary... entrepreneurial/artistic endeavors, leadership, awards, etc... with the added questions about demonstrated humanitarianism, potential for primary care, and the other things I listed in the last post...

Beyond that, I can't remember what was on the sheet... it was light blue and about 4 pages... (like that helps!)

;-)

I'm hoping for good news from UCLA for everyone else waiting for word!!!
 
so ucla is my first choice, and i sent in a paper saying "this is my letter of acceptance, and i would like to be a part of the class of 2011"

two sentences long. you do not need anything more. call em for confirmation if you'd like.

hope to see you guys in aug for orientation!
 
so ucla is my first choice, and i sent in a paper saying "this is my letter of acceptance, and i would like to be a part of the class of 2011"

two sentences long. you do not need anything more. call em for confirmation if you'd like.

hope to see you guys in aug for orientation!

Awesome! Thanks for the info...I look forward to seeing you at 2nd look and Orientation 😎
 
Hi,
I've never posted here before...I was accepted!!! Yesterday. Status change 2/23. I was also offered the $5000. I'm so thrilled!!

I've been checking this thread like every 5 minutes for the past few days. :laugh: You guys are just great. Thanks for getting me through this. You were a major source of support. Thank you.

Best of luck to you! :luck: :luck: :luck:
 
my guess on money and acceptances to the first batch and acceptances without money on the second batch might be true as it seems almost everyone has received money with this first batch!!!!!!! congrats to you all that did and good luck to the rest of us who are waiting on this next batch :luck:
 
maybe another batch will go out tomorrow...maybe some of us will have a status change tomorrow? I could use some good news before spring break!
 
Has anyone East Coast heard? Waiting in NYC... Come on USPS! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
maybe another batch will go out tomorrow...maybe some of us will have a status change tomorrow? I could use some good news before spring break!

I cannot tell you how amazingly psyched/happy/grateful/overjoyed/etc I would be if this theory pans out - that the 1st batch is "your-so-awesome-we're-accepting-you-AND-giving-you-dough" and that the second batch is "your-awesome-and-we're-accepting-you!" I really hope that this is the case - I'd gladly be awesome enough to get in but not awesome enough for the money! 😛 😉

Here's wishing all of us waiting some EXCELLENT news shortly!

:luck: 😍 continuing to dream of ucla... 😍 :luck:

And, seriously, congrats to those accepted already - you must be a hardworking, kick-@$$ bunch & I hope to be your classmate soon!!! 😀
 
I wanted to add one more thing guys...Happy January 15th!!!! For those of you who haven't heard, I hope your January 15th's come soon with good news.:luck: :luck: :luck:
 
Hey all,

How was your interview day? Mine's today, and I'm really nervous! What was your schedule like if you had an afternoon interview, and how many applicants were with you? Did you eat lunch in a big group? I just found out about this interview yesterday, so I'm freaking out!
 
Hey all,

How was your interview day? Mine's today, and I'm really nervous! What was your schedule like if you had an afternoon interview, and how many applicants were with you? Did you eat lunch in a big group? I just found out about this interview yesterday, so I'm freaking out!

I ate lunch during my med student interview (it was hard to talk and eat). I had the faculty interview in the morning so after lunch the day was over. I also went here for undergrad so I guess they decided that I didn't need a tour...

I felt all weird walking around CHS in a suit when I'm usually around in sandals and sweat pants. Good luck to you! :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:
 
Hey all,

How was your interview day? Mine's today, and I'm really nervous! What was your schedule like if you had an afternoon interview, and how many applicants were with you? Did you eat lunch in a big group? I just found out about this interview yesterday, so I'm freaking out!

JennyB- The interview (you will probably have 2) are really about getting to know more about you. You will eat lunch with MS1s and the other interviewees in the student lounge and the tour is before the lunch. There are no formal presentations or sessions (kinda nice) and you can chat with the medical students 🙂

Good Luck! Keep us posted :luck: :luck: :luck:
 
Hey all,

How was your interview day? Mine's today, and I'm really nervous! What was your schedule like if you had an afternoon interview, and how many applicants were with you? Did you eat lunch in a big group? I just found out about this interview yesterday, so I'm freaking out!

Were you in the second-year lecture today? I saw two applicants (a guy and a girl) sitting in the front row today.😀
 
my guess on money and acceptances to the first batch and acceptances without money on the second batch might be true as it seems almost everyone has received money with this first batch!!!!!!! congrats to you all that did and good luck to the rest of us who are waiting on this next batch :luck:

I'm corroborating this. Accepted yesterday, with the money offer. 😍
 
I'm corroborating this. Accepted yesterday, with the money offer. 😍

This leads me again to the question:

Did anyone get accepted yet WITHOUT a money offer?

I know you may not want to respond, but I know those of us who are starting to get our hopes up about this money-1st-round, no-money-2nd-round theory would greatly appreciate it!

:luck: 😍 ucla 😍 :luck:
 
Were you in the second-year lecture today? I saw two applicants (a guy and a girl) sitting in the front row today.😀

Nope, that wasn't me. I have an afternoon interview, so the admissions office told me to go to the office at 11:45 for the lunch and tour. I heard it was fun though, and I would've liked to have seen it.
 
I interviewed mid-Jan and got an acceptance letter yesterday. AAHH!!! I can hardly believe it!! Congrats to everyone who heard good news, and good luck to everyone else!!

Lin - CONGRATS! Who was your interviewer? PM me?
 
Nope, that wasn't me. I have an afternoon interview, so the admissions office told me to go to the office at 11:45 for the lunch and tour. I heard it was fun though, and I would've liked to have seen it.

I think I've seen you post that you're around UCLA a lot --- let me know if you ever want to sit in on a lecture. 👍
 
This leads me again to the question:

Did anyone get accepted yet WITHOUT a money offer?

I know you may not want to respond, but I know those of us who are starting to get our hopes up about this money-1st-round, no-money-2nd-round theory would greatly appreciate it!

:luck: 😍 ucla 😍 :luck:

oh man... if this theory were true... and we were in that batch...

hells yeah I'd go to UCLA without being offered a penny...

I just want in!! 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so once u sent in the acceptance letter....

what happens nexT?

i cant seem to find out what the process is.
 
so once u sent in the acceptance letter....

what happens nexT?

i cant seem to find out what the process is.

they send ninjas to your house to kidnap you and take you to their "re-education facility" in the bowels of Bel Air.
 
i hope my theory comes true tomorrow for all of us waiting to hear. good luck to you all.
 
My understanding (which may be completely wrong, misinformed, illguided) is that

last year: batch of acceptances followed by batch of rejections followed by batch of rejections

year before (2005): several batches of acceptances (roughly 1 week apart) followed by waitlists then rejections...

it would be so awesome if this theory becomes reality!

Here's hoping!!!! GL EVERYONE!!!!

FYI - I'm headed out of town for ~1 week (a well-needed vacation!), so I'll see y'all mid-March!!!!!! GL and I hope I come back to good news from more of you (and maybe some for me, too!!!!!)
 
My understanding (which may be completely wrong, misinformed, illguided) is that

last year: batch of acceptances followed by batch of rejections followed by batch of rejections

year before (2005): several batches of acceptances (roughly 1 week apart) followed by waitlists then rejections...

it would be so awesome if this theory becomes reality!

Here's hoping!!!! GL EVERYONE!!!!

FYI - I'm headed out of town for ~1 week (a well-needed vacation!), so I'll see y'all mid-March!!!!!! GL and I hope I come back to good news from more you (and maybe some for me, too!!!!!)


Have a great vacation! I hope you come home to Good News :luck: 🙂 :luck:
 
I cannot tell you how amazingly psyched/happy/grateful/overjoyed/etc I would be if this theory pans out - that the 1st batch is "your-so-awesome-we're-accepting-you-AND-giving-you-dough" and that the second batch is "your-awesome-and-we're-accepting-you!" I really hope that this is the case - I'd gladly be awesome enough to get in but not awesome enough for the money! 😛 😉

Here's wishing all of us waiting some EXCELLENT news shortly!

:luck: 😍 continuing to dream of ucla... 😍 :luck:

And, seriously, congrats to those accepted already - you must be a hardworking, kick-@$$ bunch & I hope to be your classmate soon!!! 😀

I m rooting for you swtiepie711, I can't wait to be classmate with you!!!🙂
 
oh man... if this theory were true... and we were in that batch...

hells yeah I'd go to UCLA without being offered a penny...

I just want in!! 🙁

ZOT ZOT ZOT! good luck to you Aerith... from another anteater.
 
Maybe this has been answered before, but does anyone know how often the adcom meets? Thanks!
 
seeing as status changes come on fridays, that makes me think adcom meets thursday nights, then "the help" makes the necessary database changes on Friday.

probably a more realistic interpretation of my info. thx. Let's see what happens today. Anyone get a status change on that last line, let us know.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
called a few days ago and they said that the next batch would go out on the 15th of march, adn that it would include acceptances/waitlists/rejections.
 
probably a more realistic interpretation of my info. thx. Let's see what happens today. Anyone get a status change on that last line, let us know.

last week it happened around, what 1:00pm? Pretty sure the admissions office staff need to get to work, fuss around at the desk, check emails, check myspace, go get coffee, read Cosmo, go to lunch, come back to lunch and start updating the database, so yeah... around 1:00pm

(puts away crystal ball)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.