UCLA, UC Berkeley, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCSD for undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
...to a old chinese man protesting bush while standing on a bucket

I love the happy happy happy guy :)

OP, you've already gotten a ton of good advice, so I really can't add much. I agree with the people who said you should visit the campuses and choose which one you think you'll be happy at, but also take prestige into consideration at least a little bit. Way back when I was a high school senior :)p ) I was accepted to Cal, UCLA, and UCD (I didn't apply to the others), and really didn't use the wisest criteria in choosing where to go. When I visited Berkeley, not a single student was smiling (it must have been midterm or finals time), and I decided not to go there largely based on that. I felt very welcome at Davis, on the other hand, and a lot of people were smiling and really friendly - plus they gave me a bunch of money - so I chose Davis. While I really enjoyed my time there, and still love UCD, I kind of wonder if things would have worked out differently had I gone to Cal.

Also, regarding UCSD - I took all my pre-med sciences there in one crazy postbac year. I could just be really unobservant, but I didn't think it was all that cutthroat, and it wasn't that hard to do well. It did seem like the students were a bit more scattered than they had been at UCD regarding where they lived, so it had a bit more of a commuter feel, but people were still very friendly.

Members don't see this ad.

well i just got back from a visit to UC Irvine. I really like it there, maybe more than i liked UC Davis.

however, i am STILL waiting for notification (of acceptance or rejection) from UCLA and UC Berkeley!!! (i've decided to take UCSD out of the equation). At least I know that I will hear from Cal on April 30, but UCLA on the other hand might not notify me until May something. Of course, the letter of intent to register is due June 1. why must UCLA tortue me so?

so i'm not too sure about Cal. i visited the campus briefly and didn't really like the area around it.

what school do u think has a more hypercompetitive, cut-throat environment, UCLA or Cal?

like i said before, i don't might a little competition, but i really want to maintain a good GPA and be able to get involved with a bunch of EC's/Research, (and a job) etc. I'm a college junior and I virtually have no EC's. just a little hospital volunteering.

thanks again everyone for the input. i'll let u know when i come to a decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
i just found out that i've been offered a UCI Regents Scholarship. i applied for the UCLA Regents Scholarship, but it's only for half as much money as the UCI scholarship. and i won't find out about the UCLA one until early May). this complicates things a bit...

regent scholar = on campus parking = score!

Regents Scholar = sign up for classes first = even bigger score ;)

regent scholar = on campus parking = score!

i don't think the parking, priority registration, etc comes with the UCI Regents scholarship. i think they just give u money.

the UCLA regents scholarship, however, offers guaranteed on-campus housing for 2 years, parking, priority enrollment, mentorship opportunites, etc...but only half as much money.

Edit: actually, uci regents scholarship does offer priority enrollment, guaranteed 2 years of on-campus housing, and library privileges. my mistake.

the UCLA regents scholarship, however, offers guaranteed on-campus housing for 2 years, parking, priority enrollment, mentorship opportunites, etc...but only half as much money.

I think priority enrollment alone is worth the difference in money. All of my friends went through major headaches with not being able to get the classes they needed/wanted, and some even had to stay an extra year because of this.

Good luck with UCLA and Cal. :luck:

Also, regarding UCSD - I took all my pre-med sciences there in one crazy postbac year. I could just be really unobservant, but I didn't think it was all that cutthroat, and it wasn't that hard to do well. It did seem like the students were a bit more scattered than they had been at UCD regarding where they lived, so it had a bit more of a commuter feel, but people were still very friendly.

hey, i did the same thing!! loved it; had a great time...didn't find it at all difficult to do well there. i find myself reminiscing about it a lot. what year were you there????

side note: berkeley, on the other hand, strikes me as being very cutthroat. so glad i didn't attend for undergrad; fairly certain i'd have been miserable. i have noticed, however, that the english and arts majors hailing from berk are significantly more normal, less gunnerish than their peers majoring in the sciences.

Ha, ha, ha, well I'm not a pre-med, I'm actually pre-pharm, but reading this post has been so theraputic for me! Wow, Cal has been sooooooo hard. . . I'm graduation this semester as a Chem major and yeah it has just been so much work. My parents went to UC Davis and tried to tell me that both schools were the same in prestige and competiveness. I'm not sure about the prestige but Cal has been so much work. Yeah, many, many, many all-nighters here! I too was a community college transfer student with a 4.0 GPA average and a Regent's Scholarship to UCLA. I turned it down to go to Berkeley because I wanted a challenge. Boy, I sure have gotten the challenge of my life ^_^' When I see students on campus tours I think about telling them, "Look at me, I was once you three years ago. You too can look horrible cause you spent all night working on a lab report, while the night before you spent all night studying for a midterm." At the end of the day I'm glad I did it, because I've learned so much and been pushed much farther than I would have previously thought possible. Thanks to all the other Cal students that have laid it out like it is! Ha, ha, guess I'm not sure this post had a point, I just wanted to thank the other Cal students out there for sharing their experiences!

I think priority enrollment alone is worth the difference in money. All of my friends went through major headaches with not being able to get the classes they needed/wanted, and some even had to stay an extra year because of this.

Good luck with UCLA and Cal. :luck:

actually, i take back what i said. i was reading further into the UCI regents scholarship and you do get priority enrollment, 2 years guaranteed on-campus housing, library privileges (borrow books for 10wks like the grad students), and $9,000.

but unfortunately, no guaranteed parking :(

ucla regents: 2 years guaranteed housing, priority enrollment, parking, mentorship program, and $5,500.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, i did the same thing!! loved it; had a great time...didn't find it at all difficult to do well there. i find myself reminiscing about it a lot. what year were you there????

'03-'04 school year. You?

9/03-6/04.

crazy.

i LOVED IT there.

wonder if we were in any of the same classes.

That is crazy. :laugh: I'm sure we had several classes together. I doubt we'd recognize each other unless we had like O Chem lab or Biochem lab together, though.

well i just got back from a visit to UC Irvine. I really like it there, maybe more than i liked UC Davis.

however, i am STILL waiting for notification (of acceptance or rejection) from UCLA and UC Berkeley!!! (i've decided to take UCSD out of the equation). At least I know that I will hear from Cal on April 30, but UCLA on the other hand might not notify me until May something. Of course, the letter of intent to register is due June 1. why must UCLA tortue me so?

so i'm not too sure about Cal. i visited the campus briefly and didn't really like the area around it.

what school do u think has a more hypercompetitive, cut-throat environment, UCLA or Cal?

like i said before, i don't might a little competition, but i really want to maintain a good GPA and be able to get involved with a bunch of EC's/Research, (and a job) etc. I'm a college junior and I virtually have no EC's. just a little hospital volunteering.

thanks again everyone for the input. i'll let u know when i come to a decision.
Flip a coin. Also since you have a 4.0, look into the honors program, at any UC. Provided you keep up a 3.5 in UC courses, and write up a thesis statment on your findings, you can score some guaranteed lab work.

Hope this helps. :)

Flip a coin. Also since you have a 4.0, look into the honors program, at any UC. Provided you keep up a 3.5 in UC courses, and write up a thesis statment on your findings, you can score some guaranteed lab work.

Hope this helps. :)

Flipping a coin sounds like a good idea. i was thinking more along the lines of writing down each potential school on a board and throwing a dart blind-folded at the board. where ever it lands, i'll go to that school. if it doesn't land on any of the schools, then i'll quit school all togther and work at burger king. :p

omg...i just found out i didn't get in to UCLA. i'm pretty disappointed, but i think i know why i didn't get in. i didn't take o-chem (my comm college doesn't offer it) and i didn't take engineering physics (my comm college offers it, but the times of my bio classes conflicted with the times of the engineering physics), both classes needed for the Physiological Sci major, which is a pretty popular major from what i hear. i wish i applied to a different major now :( .

so i guess having a 4.0 gpa doesn't automatically get u in.

so why did they contact me about the UCLA regents scholarship and the UCLA alumni scholarship?? they shouldn't ask u to apply for them if u haven't even gotten into the school yet.

that is very odd. usually (at least to the best of my knowledge) the applicants they contact ahead of time for regeants are almost a sure bet to get admission. you should APPEAL!!! I believe UCLA has been taking appeals for a while now, but they may still accept ur appeal.

good luck

What major did you apply for at Cal?

I don't think you should kick UCSD out of the equation.

omg...i just found out i didn't get in to UCLA. i'm pretty disappointed, but i think i know why i didn't get in. i didn't take o-chem (my comm college doesn't offer it) and i didn't take engineering physics (my comm college offers it, but the times of my bio classes conflicted with the times of the engineering physics), both classes needed for the Physiological Sci major, which is a pretty popular major from what i hear. i wish i applied to a different major now :( .

so i guess having a 4.0 gpa doesn't automatically get u in.

so why did they contact me about the UCLA regents scholarship and the UCLA alumni scholarship?? they shouldn't ask u to apply for them if u haven't even gotten into the school yet.

hey bpost137
how weird. same thing happened to me from UCLA when I was applying for college. I think they probably just made a mistake because they only contact people who can apply for regent scholarships (thus the letter usually means acceptance). it's okay though. don't be too bummed. UCSD and Cal are very good options.

What major did you apply for at Cal?

I don't think you should kick UCSD out of the equation.

the major i applied for at Cal is Integrative Biology. now i'm seriously doubting that i'll get accepted to Cal.

yeesh it's not my fault my jr college doesn't offer o-chem and has MAJOR scheduling conflicts!! they've made it impossible for bio majors to take engineering physics. i know several bio majors who are having the same problem i am. i've talked to some of the dept. profs about this and they say they are working to solve this problem in the future (there have been many complaints), but this doesn't help me.

hey bpost137
how weird. same thing happened to me from UCLA when I was applying for college. I think they probably just made a mistake because they only contact people who can apply for regent scholarships (thus the letter usually means acceptance). it's okay though. don't be too bummed. UCSD and Cal are very good options.

it sucks because they got my hopes up. i thought i was accepted for sure :(

most people at my CC are applying with ochem and physics done

yeah sorry bpost137 but UCLA is huge on pre-req's. I would call admissions (310-825-3101) and see if there is anything they can do, it doesn't hurt. You can always appeal also.

I spoke with an admissions rep about taking a class over summer at UCLA and she was like, "yeah, phy sci is THE most competitive major at UCLA, thats why I dropped it, good luck though."

don't forget cal decisions in 2 days, I have heard already that some people last year got rejected from UCLA only to get an acceptance to Berkeley.

also, check this forum out if you haven't already....

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/forumdisplay.php?f=485

I think that both Cal and UCLA are both great schools. Both of them are probably viewed about the same by admissions committees for medical school and I don't think it makes a big difference.

As someone who had gotten into both long ago (I'm old -- almost finished with residency at this point), at the time I had chosen UCLA because of location since I'm from the area, the fact it is near multiple beaches, and because it is directly linked to a medical school. One thing to keep in mind is that Cal does not have a medical center on campus and I don't think their relationship with UCSF is that close. I don't regret going to UCLA at all and loved it. I think a more legitimate question might be the UC's vs Private (Stanford, etc.).

The part of my medical school application that was probably most limiting were my letters of recommendation since the UC science classes tend to be huge and it's hard to get personal with the professors. This is why I think having a medical center on campus is key. Most top medical schools expect some degree of research and it is a lot easier to do medicine-related research with a medical center on campus, leading to at least one very strong letter.

the major i applied for at Cal is Integrative Biology. now i'm seriously doubting that i'll get accepted to Cal.

yeesh it's not my fault my jr college doesn't offer o-chem and has MAJOR scheduling conflicts!! they've made it impossible for bio majors to take engineering physics. i know several bio majors who are having the same problem i am. i've talked to some of the dept. profs about this and they say they are working to solve this problem in the future (there have been many complaints), but this doesn't help me.

You should get into Cal provided you complete IGETCE and the core bio courses. I think anyone who dosent complete the G.E breadth gets a flat out rejection.

You should get into Cal provided you complete IGETCE and the core bio courses. I think anyone who dosent complete the G.E breadth gets a flat out rejection.

i've completed IGETCE and the following bio major classes:

Cell Bio, Zoology, Botany (3 semesters)
1 year general chem
1 year of calculus
statistics
1 year of physics (trig-based)

missing:
o-chem
calc-based physics

i will have ~90 units by the end of this semester (gotten A's in every single class). i've been in jr college for 3 years. the first year, i was still in high school and living in Florida. i had some problems transferring to California and finishing my high school up in time, so i had to take an extra year.

well, i guess i'll hear from Cal tomorrow, and supposedly UCSD. i'm not getting my hopes up this time :(

hi bpost137,

I'm a Cal student, 3rd year, Molecular and Cell Biology major. i.e. premeds are always around me and they often make me not want to be one myself. I didn't like it at first here because I came from being very close with friends in highschool to being kind of by myself and it came as a shock, but over the years I have really grown attached to this place, even though I don't have a 3.7-4.0 GPA.

i came straight in from highschool so i dunno how it works for transfers but,

the nice thing about Cal is that you can come into our College of Letters and Science regardless of what you bubble in on the form. So you're not locked into a major until you in fact, declare one. That's nice because then you can still get into Cal, regardless of the major you "apply" for.

I don't know if that applies to transfers, but if it makes you feel any better, I knew a girl who had much lower stats than yourself and got in here with an IB major.

;-) Best of luck! Go Bears!

Premeds are competitive everywhere. It's just that at Berkeley, your competition is a bit tougher.

I haven't encountered any of this cut-throat rumors in my classes so far. People usually don't go out of their way to help you, but they won't go out of their way to sabotage you. If you ask for help from your peers, then you will definitely get help from them. This cut-throat nature of Berkeley classes is way overblown. Yes, we have tough midterms and curves, but what did you expect when you throw a bunch of overachiever together? Of course, they'll make the classes harder.

i've heard about the vicious premed competition, especially at berkeley and UCLA. any opinions, experiences?

The pre-med experience at UCLA is definitely . . . unique. Especially if you're going to be a phy-sci major. Obviously you're quite intelligent so I don't think that getting the grades is going to be hard for you - but given the atmosphere of the phy-sci major it's not going to be easy by any means. Heck, I was a MCDB major and even though maybe only 1/2 of the kids in my classes were pre-med, the competition for the grades was hardcore. Now, that said, it was definitely worse for the prereq classes; Orgo especially and the infamous biochemistry 153L (which I personally loved and which I don't think PS majors have to take, but which definitely requires a lot of work and a pretty high level of "other pre-med tolerance").

Another thing about pre-med at UCLA: cheating is f*ing rampant. Every single test I had in a prereq class I witnessed someone cheating and it always made my blood boil. I've heard it's fairly similar at UCB but I don't know firsthand. If you go to either, bring a good set of blinders and your morals.

That isn't to say it's all bad. It's certainly not. There are a number of awesome research opportunities (Stroke Study is a classic one, or if you're more into the genetics side then there's a huge drosophila lab run by Dr. Banerjee that a ton of UGs work in, or you can even get a position at the Jules Stein Eye Center - it's advertised periodically but I don't know the details apart from it's a 2 year commitment). If you're EMS trained there's a student-run 3-ambulance 911-only EMS service which you can apply to (usually application cycles are spring/fall and out of 20-30 applicants they usually hire 2-3 people). There's absolutely no shortage of pre-med clubs (if you're into that sort of thing) and it's pretty easy to find current med students to talk to if you know where to look (Cafe Synapse, etc).

Coffee shops: Peets is key.

Test prep: Kaplan is just down the street on Westwood Blvd. Walkable, easily.

Housing: Expensive. Live off-campus if you can manage it - it's cheaper - but find a lot of roommates.

Sports: Come on. Do you have to ask?

Social Scene: depends. If you're a hipster and can find other hipsters it's clutch. If you're very bookish and studious, you'll be fine as well. However, if you're a crunchygranola outdoorsy type, while there is a rock wall in Wooden, and an "outdoor adventure" program, it might be hard to find yourself some kindred spirits. If you love theatre people and film people and music people and dance people, well, you can't find anywhere better to be.

Other: great running circuit around campus. The short version is about a 5k, but it's hilly, so it's great training. Gym is phenomenal. Drunken racquetball = the best way to spend a Wed. night.

It's hard to access your professors unless you're one of those obnoxious kids who sits at the front and asks questions just to get face time. For letters of rec it's absolutely necessary that you a) do something to put yourself apart from the other annoying pesky flies that buzz around the professor's office during office hours or b) get LORs from profs in SEMINARS - take a lot of Fiat Lux classes; not only can they help you out with putting you up to 13 credits instead of 12 on a light quarter, but they're GREAT for getting face time with profs that usually teach 200+ person classes.

Uhm. Yeah. PM me if you need anything else. :)

Reactions: 1 user
The pre-med experience at UCLA is definitely . . . unique. Especially if you're going to be a phy-sci major. Obviously you're quite intelligent so I don't think that getting the grades is going to be hard for you - but given the atmosphere of the phy-sci major it's not going to be easy by any means. Heck, I was a MCDB major and even though maybe only 1/2 of the kids in my classes were pre-med, the competition for the grades was hardcore. Now, that said, it was definitely worse for the prereq classes; Orgo especially and the infamous biochemistry 153L (which I personally loved and which I don't think PS majors have to take, but which definitely requires a lot of work and a pretty high level of "other pre-med tolerance").

Another thing about pre-med at UCLA: cheating is f*ing rampant. Every single test I had in a prereq class I witnessed someone cheating and it always made my blood boil. I've heard it's fairly similar at UCB but I don't know firsthand. If you go to either, bring a good set of blinders and your morals.

That isn't to say it's all bad. It's certainly not. There are a number of awesome research opportunities (Stroke Study is a classic one, or if you're more into the genetics side then there's a huge drosophila lab run by Dr. Banerjee that a ton of UGs work in, or you can even get a position at the Jules Stein Eye Center - it's advertised periodically but I don't know the details apart from it's a 2 year commitment). If you're EMS trained there's a student-run 3-ambulance 911-only EMS service which you can apply to (usually application cycles are spring/fall and out of 20-30 applicants they usually hire 2-3 people). There's absolutely no shortage of pre-med clubs (if you're into that sort of thing) and it's pretty easy to find current med students to talk to if you know where to look (Cafe Synapse, etc).

Coffee shops: Peets is key.

Test prep: Kaplan is just down the street on Westwood Blvd. Walkable, easily.

Housing: Expensive. Live off-campus if you can manage it - it's cheaper - but find a lot of roommates.

Sports: Come on. Do you have to ask?

Social Scene: depends. If you're a hipster and can find other hipsters it's clutch. If you're very bookish and studious, you'll be fine as well. However, if you're a crunchygranola outdoorsy type, while there is a rock wall in Wooden, and an "outdoor adventure" program, it might be hard to find yourself some kindred spirits. If you love theatre people and film people and music people and dance people, well, you can't find anywhere better to be.

Other: great running circuit around campus. The short version is about a 5k, but it's hilly, so it's great training. Gym is phenomenal. Drunken racquetball = the best way to spend a Wed. night.

It's hard to access your professors unless you're one of those obnoxious kids who sits at the front and asks questions just to get face time. For letters of rec it's absolutely necessary that you a) do something to put yourself apart from the other annoying pesky flies that buzz around the professor's office during office hours or b) get LORs from profs in SEMINARS - take a lot of Fiat Lux classes; not only can they help you out with putting you up to 13 credits instead of 12 on a light quarter, but they're GREAT for getting face time with profs that usually teach 200+ person classes.

Uhm. Yeah. PM me if you need anything else. :)

thanks for all the info. it no longer applies to me since i didn't get in to UCLA, but i'm sure others would benefit off of it. UCLA was always sort of my top choice :(

well, the results are in....

:thumbup: Accepted: Cal, SD, Irvine, Davis

:thumbdown: Rejected: UCLA

Cal surprised me!

now to decide......:confused: :scared:

just visited cal.... it was amazing! the liveliness of the school was very impressive. Davis is not an option for me because my allergies go crazy there.

Go to CAL!

did u go to the Cal open house thing last week. i just now learned about it. i figured they'd have an open house AFTER everyone learns of their acceptance. oh well...

You mean cal day? Yea i missed it. you should fly down there though, i think its 50 bucks! I met some of the faculty, and they were awesome.

did u go to the Cal open house thing last week. i just now learned about it. i figured they'd have an open house AFTER everyone learns of their acceptance. oh well...
Its acually after the freshman acceptances for some reason.

Didn't miss much. Cal Day has never been THAT exciting and it was rainy that day anyway so it wasn't terribly lively.

Remember when picking a school to not just look at the school but also the environment around the school - you're going to live there for four years (especially in Berkeley since almost everyone lives off campus after first year) so look at the city and the people and see if its something you like.

I definitely am happy I went to UCLA. I think that if you go to the UC's in general, there are a lot of things out there for you to do, but you have to be proactive. If sports are a big part of your life, UCLA is definitely the place to be.

On the other hand, I don't know about other UC's, but I do know that comparing UCLA and Stanford (where my sister went) academia, as in comparing our tests and notes and curves, we sort of get jipped in the grade arena at UCLA.

Now that I'm in the med school app process, I realize that going to a less competitive college would have been better for my apps, but as horrible as this may sound, my college experience was worth the sacrifice. Like it was said in a post above, there are only a certain number of A's given out no matter how smart the class is, and while it irks me to hear my friend from a liberal arts college whine about how her professor decided to make the class average a B+ or A-, I realize that her grades are the ONLY thing she talks about, while sports, social events, relationships, cool things that happened on campus or at a friend's place, things that can only be experienced with active campuses, are at the center of my experiences.

I think that UCLA is the best school in the world, but of course, that's just my biased opinion. I think the only real advice I could offer is to choose a place that will fit you best, because you will be happier and probably do better as a consequence.

However, if you're a crunchygranola outdoorsy type, while there is a rock wall in Wooden, and an "outdoor adventure" program, it might be hard to find yourself some kindred spirits. :)

Actually, a lot of my friends are this type and there is no shortage of them. No matter what type you are, there are others like you. The campus is way too big with too many people to not find someone who shares your interests.

Didn't miss much. Cal Day has never been THAT exciting and it was rainy that day anyway so it wasn't terribly lively.

Remember when picking a school to not just look at the school but also the environment around the school - you're going to live there for four years (especially in Berkeley since almost everyone lives off campus after first year) so look at the city and the people and see if its something you like.
Cal Day is mainly for parents desperate to get their kids into Berkeley :laugh: . That, and a few tours of the lab facilities, which are pretty damm nice and up-to-date. The libary is amazing too.

Cal Day is mainly for parents desperate to get their kids into Berkeley :laugh: .

actually, my dad really doesn't want me to go to Berkeley.

Cal Day is mainly for parents desperate to get their kids into Berkeley :laugh: . That, and a few tours of the lab facilities, which are pretty damm nice and up-to-date. The libary is amazing too.

Eh the lab facilities undergrads actually use are ancient - while they typically show you the upper div labs (that you may have one class in) and the labs that belong to professors. The library is incredibly awesome and more libraries are always being added (I think right now we have 22). But the reality is that most of that doesn't mean much when you spend 4 years here.

Think of where you will be happy - based on the environment on and off campus and the region in general. Make your decision off that - you'll do much better in college if you're happy where you go than you will if you're miserable.

But yeah on Cal Day there are more parents and YOUNG kids than there are parents and accepted kids. Its always been that way.

Why is that? Are you from southern cali?

i'm not exactly sure. everytime i ask him why, he replies, "i just don't like berkeley, it's not a really nice place," while making a disgusted look on his face. he was very relieved when i told him i decided to go to UCI.

yes, i'm from SoCal.

--------------------------------

by the way, i finally came to a decision. i'm going to UCI (not because of my dad, but for my own reasons).

again, just wanted to thank everyone for the advice. but in the end, i think UCI is the better fit for me.

i'm considering changing my major there from Biological Sci to Neurobio, Genetics, Microbio/Immuno, Developmental/Cell bio, or biochem. anyone have any experience with any of these majors at UCI?

i'm not exactly sure. everytime i ask him why, he replies, "i just don't like berkeley, it's not a really nice place," while making a disgusted look on his face. he was very relieved when i told him i decided to go to UCI.

yes, i'm from SoCal.

--------------------------------

by the way, i finally came to a decision. i'm going to UCI (not because of my dad, but for my own reasons).

again, just wanted to thank everyone for the advice. but in the end, i think UCI is the better fit for me.

i'm considering changing my major there from Biological Sci to Neurobio, Genetics, Microbio/Immuno, Developmental/Cell bio, or biochem. anyone have any experience with any of these majors at UCI?

Cool. So are you from the OC and is your dad a republican? Perhaps the weird face when he hears Berkeley.

I personally like when classes are cancelled for the immigrants rights protest. :laugh:

what grade will you be at UCI?

going to UCI this year as well..

turned down UCLA and UCSD for almost same reasons

personally i don't think i can survive the fierce competition there...UCI is just the right "fit" for me where i can grow as a person and not worry about getting 1 pt more on the test..

it kinda worries me tho..that upper division will be just as hard as LA and SD... :(

only the time will tell i guess..